PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Paladin Help (Doesn't have to be the Paladin Class)

Anderlith
2013-01-28, 06:09 PM
High everyone, I'm going to be playing a paladin in an upcoming game, & I want him to be good... not OP (not too many optimizers in the group) but I want him to be the best at what he does. What I want him to do is damage/combat ability.

I picture this guy as a gritty more mundane guy that is more divine crusader than divine guardian. No mount. My problem is I have no clue on how to make a good one, & if Paladin is the even the right class, would it be better to use another class or archetype to make it work?

Exirtadorri
2013-01-28, 06:20 PM
The problem with not wanting to be OP is if you're in a group with a bunch of them you're going to be overshadowed something fierce. Especially a paladin.

If you're wanting to take the smite evil approach a ranged paladin is actually a very good choice.

I took a ranger/paladin pretty far believe it or not. Favored enemy + smite plus rapid or many shot is quite a lot of bonus to hit and damage....although extremely circumstantial. It's a lot of fun to just f'ing loathe a particular creature. I chose evil dragons. So I had favored enemy, smite, lots of arrows, big game hunter feat (+1 to hit +2 damage vs large or larger) and a dragon bane bow. I killed an adult dragon in like two rounds solo (although I did have a crit)

Sacrieur
2013-01-28, 06:26 PM
A half-orc paladin would be pretty cool. Although if you want to be all about combat fighter may be a better option (ugh, I can't believe I'm recommending fighter), although I'd personally pick barbarian. Or psychic warrior if psionics is allowed.

Paladins end up being the party's face, but I'm getting the feeling you just want to be the muscle. Holy vindicators seem to be more for battle paladins.

Anderlith
2013-01-28, 06:29 PM
I want to be melee. Gatecrashing the Nine Hells & taking names. Quoting scripture & kicking ass... & I'm all out of hymns.

I don't want other players to top me. The other players are okay with not being the combat beast, that's what I want to be for. I don't mind being something other than Paladin, I could be a paladin in name only. but I want to have somekind of connection to the divine

Sacrieur
2013-01-28, 06:32 PM
Then take paladin with the divine defender (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/divine-defender) archetype.

Anderlith
2013-01-28, 06:51 PM
As much as I like the idea of summoned holy armor... I want to be offensive not defensive.

Chained Birds
2013-01-28, 09:44 PM
Take Oath of Vengeance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/oathbound-paladin/oath-of-vengeance) to gain some more Smite Goodness.

Sacred Servant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/sacred-servant) is considered the most powerful due to gaining more Spell Power and some Celestial Allies. You can counter the lowered Smite Evil with the previously mentioned Oath. You eventually become an Angel Summoner and can do things better than any BMX Bandit out there.

Sacrieur
2013-01-28, 09:47 PM
If you could play 3.5 classes I would throw crusader at you, but there really doesn't seem to be a very good selection for warrior paladins.

I suppose you could play a barbarian (armored hulk archetype) that really really wants to be a paladin.

Anderlith
2013-01-29, 04:12 AM
Just bumbing this up, desperately looking for anyone who can help me make an offensive holy warrior. A friend suggested Inquisitor. Is it better?

Killer Angel
2013-01-29, 04:40 AM
I picture this guy as a gritty more mundane guy that is more divine crusader than divine guardian. No mount. My problem is I have no clue on how to make a good one, & if Paladin is the even the right class, would it be better to use another class or archetype to make it work?

May I ask why no mount? for example, a cavalier is basically a paladin, heavily offensive and more "knight oriented", rather than "divine warrior", so it should fit your basic idea.

Baroncognito
2013-01-29, 04:41 AM
Just bumbing this up, desperately looking for anyone who can help me make an offensive holy warrior. A friend suggested Inquisitor. Is it better?

It depends upon what you want to do.

Inquisitors are spontaneous casters, Paladins are memorized casters.
Inquisitors are wisdom based, Paladins are charisma based.
Inquisitors are three-fourths BAB, Paladins are full BAB.

Roughly, while Inquisitors are interesting, I really doubt that they're what you're looking for.

Baroncognito
2013-01-29, 04:45 AM
May I ask why no mount? for example, a cavalier is basically a paladin, heavily offensive and more "knight oriented", rather than "divine warrior", so it should fit your basic idea.

He doesn't need a mount. He could make a Sword Saint Samurai and take the Order of the Star.

He'd be a warrior dedicated to the service of a faith.

Killer Angel
2013-01-29, 05:06 AM
He doesn't need a mount. He could make a Sword Saint Samurai and take the Order of the Star.

He'd be a warrior dedicated to the service of a faith.

That would work, too.
I think we need more input about race, deity, and so on. A "melee warrior that doesn't have to be a paladin but must be divine connected" is a little vague. Many concepts cover it.

Baroncognito
2013-01-29, 05:07 AM
That would work, too.
I think we need more input about race, deity, and so on. A "melee warrior that doesn't have to be a paladin but must be divine connected" is a little vague. Many concepts cover it.

Yeah, you could make a Rage Prophet.

W3bDragon
2013-01-29, 05:15 AM
A friend suggested Inquisitor. Is it better?

Inquisitor fits the image you describe in the OP better than paladin.

Sayt
2013-01-29, 07:47 AM
Barbarian into Knight of Ozem (http://www.pathfindercommunity.net/classes/prestige-classes/knight-of-ozem) could be very interesting.

ngilop
2013-01-29, 12:39 PM
I created a high level 'paladin' for a game that I was not accepted into, somewhat becuase I could not finish the character:(

anyways I went paladin 2/Oracle X ( if you want aura of courage you could go paladin 3/ Oralce X)

Here is the link to my (incomplete) build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266334)

jmelesky
2013-01-29, 01:53 PM
An Inquisitor will be less capable in combat, and do less damage, but is able to point their bonus damage against anyone, not just the target of a smite.

A Paladin can be a brute, definitely. Skip the mount and get a weapon bond (which you can enhance for some time each day).

If you want to do lots of damage, you can certainly go ranged as suggested elsewhere. Alternately, you can pump up your Str and Cha, grab a two-handed weapon, Power Attack, and the Eldritch Heritage feat chain for the Orc Bloodline. You eventually have a +6 inherent bonus to Str (no need for Tomes or wishes), plus the ability to enlarge yourself for another +6 to Str. Even without your smite, you'll be a brute in melee.

Anderlith
2013-01-29, 10:10 PM
What's the best balance of Barb & Oracle for Rage Prophet? & which Mysteries are best?

Baroncognito
2013-01-29, 10:29 PM
What's the best balance of Barb & Oracle for Rage Prophet? & which Mysteries are best?

Level 1: Barbarian
Level 2: Oracle
Level 3: ???
Level 4: ???
Level 5: ???
Level 6: Prophet

avr
2013-01-29, 10:32 PM
To get a rage power (required for the Prc) you need at least 2 levels of barbarian. You really want at least oracle 3 for the 2nd revelation, and if you're going that far you might as well take oracle 4 for 2nd level spells at not too late a date in your career. At that point (barb 2/oracle 4) you qualify for rage prophet & should enter it at once.

Unless you've got something fancy in mind, Battle mystery is the obvious one here. War Sight and Battlefield Clarity are the obvious revelations for you.

Edit: I don't think baroncognito read the PrC prerequisites. Oracles don't get full BAB so his plan does not work.

Baroncognito
2013-01-29, 10:43 PM
Edit: I don't think baroncognito read the PrC prerequisites. Oracles don't get full BAB so his plan does not work.

I haven't read it recently. I wasn't making a suggestion so much as a joke.

Anderlith
2013-01-29, 10:44 PM
You sir win this thread

To get a rage power (required for the Prc) you need at least 2 levels of barbarian. You really want at least oracle 3 for the 2nd revelation, and if you're going that far you might as well take oracle 4 for 2nd level spells at not too late a date in your career. At that point (barb 2/oracle 4) you qualify for rage prophet & should enter it at once.

Unless you've got something fancy in mind, Battle mystery is the obvious one here. War Sight and Battlefield Clarity are the obvious revelations for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually thinking Metal Mystery but didn't know if that would come back to haunt me later

Xerxus
2013-01-30, 05:16 AM

Brilliant.