PDA

View Full Version : Kensai Magus: Diminished Spellcasting Help

Red1086
2013-01-28, 07:16 PM
What does this mean…

Diminished Spellcasting: A kensai may cast one fewer spell of each level than normal. If this reduces the number to 0, he may cast spells of that level only if his Intelligence allows bonus spells of that level.

… in relation to this

Cantrips: A magus can prepare a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, each day, as noted on Table: Magus under “Spells per Day.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they are not expended when cast and may be used again.
Spellbooks: A magus must study his spellbook each day to prepare his spells. He cannot prepare any spell not recorded in his spellbook except for read magic, which all magi can prepare from memory. A magus begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level magus spells plus three 1st-level magus spellsof his choice. The magus also selects a number of additional 1st-level magus spells equal to hisIntelligence modifier to add to his spellbook. At each new magus level, he gains two new magus spells of any spell level or levels that he can cast (based on his new magus level) for his spellbook. At any time, a magus can also add spells found in other spellbooks to his own.

From my understanding, Magus doesn’t get bonus spells to cast per day from int, but instead get to learn his int bonus extra 1st level spells. It is kinda confusing. Do I just prepare 1 less per day?

Unless from this chart here... http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gettingStarted.html#_table-1-3-ability-modifiers-and-bonus-spells
...means I can cast 1 more spell per day?
Can someone help me out?

avr
2013-01-28, 10:32 PM
You prepare one less spell of each spell level you can cast each day. Bonus spells from your Intelligence probably counteract that.

The number of spells in your spellbook is separate and not affected by diminished spellcasting.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-01-28, 11:03 PM
You prepare one less spell of each spell level you can cast each day. Bonus spells from your Intelligence probably counteract that.

The number of spells in your spellbook is separate and not affected by diminished spellcasting.

This is correct. In effect, just treat every number in the "spells per day" table (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcasters/magus.html) as one less.

Red1086
2013-01-29, 12:03 PM
Okay, thank you. That cleared it up for me. :smallsmile: