PDA

View Full Version : (ic) Aaahhhh!!! Investigation!!! (ic)

Beschoren
2013-01-28, 08:52 PM
You're between adventures at the city of Jeba, west of the Realm of Jalavia, having your beer-for-breakfast. This particular city is well habitated by adventurers, mercenaries and freelancers, since the Duque of Jeba often rellies on paid mercenary work rather than delegate issues for commisioners, secretaries, and other nobleman. Your breakfast is interrupted by someone who enters the Tavern of the Old Gus... The Duque's right hand and cusin, The well-known ex-mercenary Serjon, who is the best contract filler in the region. He usually finds appropriate workers for whatever mission the duque has to issue. half the tavern's costumers greet him from afar, and then he comes to join you at your table with a simile on his face.

---------------

he takes a cup of beer from the attentend, who already knew him for ages. "Good morning my fellows" He says, having himself a sip. Serjon already knows all fo you, and knwos you've adventured toghtder at least once before. You don't know what brought him to you exactly, but know that he must be intrested in filling an adventurer's contract - that's what he does. "How you've been doing lately?"

Chimaera
2013-01-28, 09:18 PM
Banshrae look at Serjon and say cheerfully: "Hi there Serjon! Long time no see you! I'm still alive, but can't say the same for my poor horse who died in the last quest you gave me... Oh by the way, thank you very much: now he gives me no cost anymore and never tires".

It seems the fact she has been riding a animated horse corpse make her happy, as strange as it is.

"Come and drink with us while you're still around".

Beschoren
2013-01-28, 10:05 PM
"Come and drink with us while you're still around".

"I might just do that" serjon says, amking himself confortable

"So, are folks giving you a hard time on your undead?"

Banshrae, Serjon and the others know very well necromancy and undead-rising things are sometimes a taboo. Many desagree with its general use, and in regions closer to the capital it is mostly forbiden.

Of course, in the entire Jalavia the use of Orcs corpses for undead cannon fodder is most completely accepted, and in many placed suported and protected. The duque of Jalavia passed this law on necromancy

1 - Those that make regular use of necromancy msut be aware of it's dangers, effects on living things, effects on orcs, and the laws that regulare it

2 - It is forbidden to make any animated dead out of Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Halflings. Those who do will be charged of soul slavery and will be put to death.

3 - it is forbidden to make any animated dead of fey, dragons, outsiders, giants and humanoids . Those who do will be charged with depravity and will be arrested

4 - it is allowed, commendable and not frowed upon to make use of undead orcs of any type, as long as they are not used against Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Halflings. The use of ogres, trolls, wolves and goblins undead is allowed, as long as they are not used against Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Halflings.

5 - the use of undead beasts of burden is tolerated as long as the smell is taken care off in urban sites and a white robe covers all of the creature's body.

6 - the creator of the undead anwser for any murder made by undead created by him or udner his control

(these laws are mostly fluffy things)

Duncfoo
2013-01-28, 11:32 PM
Orendes waves at Serjon stiffly & awkwardly before fiddling with her drink, causing her bracelets to rattle. Looking at Banshrae and rolling her eyes. "Oh come on. You must be spending at least the same amount on incense for that thing. It smells like a gypsy's painted wagon." She shrugs and mutters, "Thanks for the mission anyways, Serjon. Orcs are stupid."

esorscher
2013-01-29, 09:37 AM
"Stupid, and they burn well," Pyrro says, taking a break from drinking. He has several empty mugs in front of him and signals the bartender for another, even though he is only halfway finished with his current one.

Beschoren
2013-01-30, 02:43 PM
Serjon nods to Orendes and Pyrro, with a strained expression "aye, stupid and flammable indeed. Cheers for that!"

stupid and flamable as they are, orcs still are a menace to Jalavia. Thousends are killed in orc raids every year, and entire cities have been lost more than once. These dammed beasts infitrate from the surroudning mountains, from the deep forest and even overseas to raid the nation that has killed most orcs in the entire world. When a true orc leader comes up and unites the horde, things usualy go pretty bad, with half or more of Jalavia burned down.

To add further despise for the orcs, they adore taking presioners... and abuse them. sexually...

He takes his beer and talks back to the group "Well, how about you guys follow me to the keep? I wanna show you something"

The keep is not far away. Most of the city of Jeba rests within stone walls and many buildings have formidable heights. Even as a small city of 10.000 habitants, you can get mostly anywere within the walls in 20 minutes of walking.

Duncfoo
2013-01-30, 04:42 PM
Orendes tosses a few coins onto the table and finishes her beer and whips a traveling back onto her back. "Oh I know they are a problem Serjohn. Seen a few of the ugly brutes up close." Orendes walks on her tippy toes most of the time, trying to keep up with Serjohn's longer strides. She stares up at the buildings and nimbly dodges through the crowd. "What's at the Keep?"

esorscher
2013-01-30, 08:08 PM
Pyrro drops three gold coins from his coin purse onto the table and waits for the answer to Orendes's question. The amount is more than enough for his bill but he likes to overpay when the amount is so trivial (to him).

Chimaera
2013-01-30, 08:23 PM
Banshrae pay her bill and ask: "Do you care if I take Hollowheart to the Keep? It was the horse you sent to death... the one I raised back... you know, as a undead skeleton. I promise he won't eat anything unless someones try to put their hands close. He have a hunger for fingers... Anyway, can I?", she say out loud trying to mess with everyone else in the tavern's appetite.

Beschoren
2013-02-04, 12:34 PM
Serjon says Banshare to keep hallowheart covered, but dosen't say anything about what's on the keep. Obviously, that means that whatever he intends to tell you, he does not intent to tell at a crowed tavern.

you head out to the keep, exchanging a few pleasentries and talking about the weather. After some 20 minutes you arrive at the keep. Every guard is all smiles to Serjon, letting you past right into the Duque's reception hall. As you arrive the duque is not there, but a steward quickly calls him. The Duque enters the room nervously "Serjon, will these people do?", and he quickly replies with a bow "Yes sir duque, they are fit enought given the constrains"

The room is empty except for you and a few guards at the entrance. The duque signals you to sit down arround a large decorated table, and takes his place at the slightly elevated end of the table.

"Thank you for coming" He says, obviously distressed "We have a sensible matter that must be resolved immediatly. My daughter, princess Slatia, has run off" His expression is now more infuriated, but somehow contained. As you may know (knowledge: royality and nobility DC 15), princess Slatia is somewhat of a rebilious young lady, that disobeyed and challanged her father more tha once or twice.

"That accursed hag has sneak up on us. She was suposed to visit her singing teacher for lessons over this week but one of her personal servants has told us a different story. The princess selft a note to the servant that she instead went to meet the mage Giliatti... we don't know why"

he continues talking, anticipating some of the questions you were sure to aks anyway "This servant knows several of Slatias accursed adventures and usually keeps secret, but this time spoke to us out of concern she might have been too far. The princess left with a scort yesterday morning... the singing teacher lives on another town, a few days ride away. As for Giliatti... I have no idea of what schemes they might be up to. I don't even know if she truly just left to meet him, or if this is a ruse... or even if she is only playing a trick on us! dammed woman!"

You know of the mage Giliatti. He's a respectable magician, almost resident of this community. He has been hired by the duque on many ocasions already, and is not of the kind that sequesters important figures out of madness or greed. He is also known for his elusiveness...

"The only way we have to contact Giliatti is leaving a message at his box in the post office. Serjon has no idea of how to find his lair or contact him in any other way."

He looks very tired as he issues your mission formally "Well, I want you to bring the princess back unhurt as soon as possible, without raising a fuss. I don't want another scandall involving her, specially with an important wizzard! it will be difficult enought to marry her with the bad reputation she made over the years. She is suposed to return from her singing lessons in 4 days, so i want her back by then."

(ooc: bad/time net these days! sorry!)

Duncfoo
2013-02-04, 03:49 PM
Orendes follows along quietly, trying not to judge the guards smiles as they pass by. Then Serjohn mentions the Duque and the grand door is standing there. The young elven woman quickly straigthens from her typical slouch to a more correct posture. A quick flick of her wrist and a humm bring magic swirling from her head to her toys, small green lights flicking away dirt and grime, leaving a small pile of soot and dirt on the floor near the doors enterance. Orendes is prettier, but her eyes and smile don't carry any mirth or joy.

Oh the elevated table thing... She thinks to herself while trying to stay attentive. Details are important in matters of princesses on the lamb. "A most pressing concern Mi'Lord. My name is Orendes," She says, bowing at the waste in the appropriate fashion. "May I beg a few questions? Why is it important to have her back in four days? Is Giliatti known to have spoken with the princess?" Orendes begins the mental calcus or possible problems, knowing all to well how to being young and rash.

Knowledge checks:
Nobility & Religion - [roll0] = Untrained
Knowledge Local - [roll1]

Chimaera
2013-02-05, 06:39 AM
"We'll bring her here even if an Animate Dead spell is necessary, my lord... oh, of course... only if she has died already or something, don't worry"", says a Banshrae ignoring the words 'unhurt', "Where can we find this post office? How about a Sending scroll or something?".

After a second thought, she says: "I have another question as well: how about the reward?"

Beschoren
2013-02-06, 02:20 PM
Orendes knows that this princess has often found with men, sometimes she gets drunk, stays awake until late hours of night, and often disrespect important figures in official events. Still, she's a valuable political asset and must be carefully married. Having a scandal on a dissapearance would certainly damage her tarnished reputation, and her father the Duque does not want that.

"I don't want people to know about this" the duque says "in four days she is suposed to return from her singing lessons. if she does not return until them, people will know something might have gone wrong. Besides, few Barons would marry their sons to woman who fail to be at home when they are suposed to. So it is important for you to be subtle and discrete on this matter."

"I have no idea of what Giliatti is up to, nor if they had spoken before. Still, I don't think he would try to do her harm unless something huge was at stake. In one way or another, he knows I would hunt him if he does. I still think of this as a missadventure of Slatia than mischif of a known arcanist."

The duque makes a moking smile when Banshare says of reanimating the princess as a zombie, as if saying what a dumb joke. "The post office is just at the gates. Gilliati has a box in there like many other people in town, so people just drop messages in. As for the reward it depends on how well you acomplish your mission" (the duque looks up and plays with his fingers, as if calculating the amount)

"If you bring her back in 24h, I will give your party 15.000 gold pieces. if you take 2 days instead, 12.000 gold pieces. if you take 3 or 4 days, 9.000 gold pieces. If she comes back her own on the 4º day, by the time she's suposed to return, you gain nothing.

If people find out about her disapearance due to your actions, I'll reduce your reward by 5.000 gold pieces. You have no royal authotiry powers or consessions to acomplish your mission. I want your to bring Gilliati here if possible, but If you murder Giliatti, you will anwser to the law. If something bad happens to her due to your actions... well, let's not let that happen, right?"

he keeps on talking, with Serjon noding his head from time to time "If she does not return by the time she was suposed to return, we will have to consider the kidnap hypothesis. The case and the reward will go public, gold given to whoever finds her."

----------------
local places that might give some clues

- the Post Office, the only way used to contact the mage and other figures.
- the Magicians's Bazar, a mix of guild, club, shop and meeting point for local and traveling arcanists of Jeba.
- the Jalavian Barracks, who keep an eye on the wilderness due to the persistent orc presence.
- the Ultima Mater temple, the main religious temple in town, that has certain power and knowledge. (Ultima Mater, or Ultimate Mother is a homebrew religion focused on community and protection of the humble. they are a bit conservative.)

zagan
2013-02-07, 03:39 AM
Axiom stay silent in the back of the group while the duque explain the situation, he nod at the end understanding the delicate nature of this mission. He mentally check his soulmeld for stability and his satisfied.

Chimaera
2013-02-07, 06:44 AM
"So I think we should go to the post before she fatally dies", and, after that last one, Banshrae is ready to go to the post office, "What you guys think? We could try to contact her via magic too... The temple may have some scroll of Locate Person or Sending or Raise Dead, all of them may prove useful".

Wizard Spells*:
0: Light, Detect Magic, Caltrops (2);
1: Nerveskitter, Grease (2);

Cleric Spells*:
0: Light, Create Water, Purify Drink and Food, Detect Magic, Cure Minor Wounds;
1: Disguise Self, Conviction, Ebon Eyes, Shield of Faith (2);
2: Invisibility, Darkness, Desecrate, Divine Interdiction;
3: Animate Dead, Crown of the Grave, Summon Undead III;

*Banshrae pray for her Death god at midnight or so to get spells, and study her grimoire when she wake up.

Beschoren
2013-02-09, 09:23 AM
Serjon steps up with some flasks on a bag, handing it to you "We got our hopes on you. Take these potions to help.". The bag has 4 cure serious wounds potions

The Duque adds some final remarks "You can talk to the servant if you wish, but she dosen't have any other information besides the note left by princess Slatia. Finally, I will personally search her private chamebrs to see if I find something usefull. If you find anything usefull, come back here and tell me in person."

(OOC: are you heading for the post office then?)

zagan
2013-02-09, 10:30 AM
Axiom speak up for the first time, "Thank you for your trust in us, we will do our best to find the princess and bring her back."
Unless someone else grab the bag first he will take it.

OOC: The post office seem like a good first stop.

Beschoren
2013-02-09, 12:25 PM
The duque and serjon nods, sure that your quick conversation was clear enought. Serjon scort you out of the keep, giving a friendly advice "You realize that if word spreads out and she end up dead due to your actions, it's your head on a pike, right? you're allowed to fail, but not to screw up. take care." Finally, you reach the exit of the keep and Serjon goes away.

The post office is about 5 minutes away from the keep. When you get there, you see many piled up small wooden mailboxes at your left, whit names and numbers. This shelf is just next to the wall and there is one or two persons doing thir buiseness with it. right in front of you there is a balcony with a few workers and some people waiting to be attended. you will have to wait in line for five minute or so to talk to someone. at your right there is a worker's only area, likely leading to a back room and the stables. Two armed guards greet you with a smile as you enter the building. just standing behind them, there is another post office worker with a helpfull attitude who greets you "Good Morning!"

Chimaera
2013-02-09, 05:38 PM
"Hi there!", Banshrae says with a smile, "May you help us? We need to send a message to my friend, archmage Giliatti".

Beschoren
2013-02-09, 06:05 PM
"Of course my lady" the attendent replies "His mailbox is the number 12, at the top right of the 1º shelf you see over there, were you may leave any written message. if you lack ink, paper, or want us to write a message for you, the materials and service costs one copper piece"

The mailboxes are left there, and the owner arive from time to time to collect the messages and pays for the service. Based on what you currently know, there's no telling when Giliatti could possibly come and read your message.

Chimaera
2013-02-09, 09:28 PM
"Let's put a message there in any case and try looking for him", Banshrae says to the others and ten looking to the guy who helped them, "Do you know how often Giliati checks his inbox? Isn't there any way to find him more quickly? I do really have to talk with him".

Duncfoo
2013-02-10, 09:51 PM
Orendes stays quite the rest of the conversation, thinking over what she can do with 15,000 gold, knowing for that amount something has to be up. Before the leave asks one favor from the Duque. "I'm sure there have been attempts to find her magically; never-the-less may we have a scrap of her writing or another personal item? It may come to help greatly."

She takes one of the potions and weighs it in her hand briefly shivering at the thought she may be getting stabbed soon. On the way to the post boxes Orendes starts to name off some ideas, "Alright, we can try to locate her with some magic but I bet this hussy has something to keep her self from being found." Orendes grabs her hair and twists it around a finger, "So to find Giliati, we'll have to be clever. A master mage who doesn't want to be found can hide any where. We can go to the Bazaar and ask around, mabe find his home. That will give us a second avenue to check. We can also leave him a message and watch to see if anyone comes to pick it up?"

Beschoren
2013-02-12, 07:58 AM
(still with the duque)

The duque handles you some wrinting and a personal hairbrush from princess Slatia "I hope these itens will do. We still haven't tryed to locate her magically... for me to stride the Wizzard Bazaar and asking were she is would be too suspicious. That's why I'm hiring you"

The post office attendent replies to the pale lady "Mr. Gilliati comes about once per week, but I unable to give any prediction of his next visit. sometimes he comes more often sometimes he comes less often. if you sit and wait, he will eventually appear."

He takes a good look at you - he has already realized you're adventurers "Maybe you could check in the Wizzard's Bazaar. He has a few friends over there. Humm, and I ofeten see Mr. Giliatti talking to one of our workers here, Presto, maybe he could help you a little more. Presto comes to work at about noon, so you could wait for him or come back later"

(what is the content of the message you leave for Giliatti?)

Chimaera
2013-02-13, 06:24 AM
"Bring the princess back to the duque or you're a dead and - soon to be - reanimated undead".

If anyone wants to add anything else to the message feel free.

Duncfoo
2013-02-13, 05:22 PM
Orendes pales slightly when she reads the message over Banshrae's shoulder. "How direct. Learn some finessse Banshrae. What if it isn't a kidnapping?" the elf maid whispers.

Orendes offers a compromise, crossing out a few lines before writing out a new copy.

Bring back the princess to the Duque, her life is in danger, and yours as well. - Serjohn

Orendes smiles with a slightly malicious smile, "What do you think?"

Chimaera
2013-02-13, 06:29 PM
"I liked the reanimate part.. but it's ok, I guess", says Banshrae.

"Let's talk with this Presto boy and then go to the Bazaar then? Where can we find the Presto?"

Beschoren
2013-02-14, 01:11 PM
"Presto shift dosen't start till midday" says the attendent "please come back later". Orendes puts the message on gilliati's box and you head out to the Wizzard's Bazzar, a few blocks away.

The Wizzard's bazaar is a mix of magical trading hub, wizadly guild and social club for arcanists. the outside walls are decorated with variated runes and carvings, displaying wizardly things and orcs being spellcasted away. the building has a flashy display of colors and a odd arquiteture. you pass by the door and a guard gently nods at you.

You enter a small hall that starts as a corridor and becomes a large room, filled with wooden desks and shelves that hold many strange itens for wizzards. Someone shouts from behind a balcony "Wellcome to the Wizzard's Bazzar, my fellows! Can i intrest you with one of our fine wares, rare reagents, or magical itens?". You can see him getting up a chair he was sitting and recognize him as a local wizzard you saw more than once before (Knowledge Local DC 15)

Duncfoo
2013-02-14, 01:42 PM
Orendes waves to the mail manager, "Thank you, yes. I'll come back around noon to speak with Presto."

Orendes narrows her eyes when she steps into the bazaar. Often it was full of charltans and fakes, apprentices who's masters kicked them out. Her kind of characters really. Orendes quickly puts on a fakish smile and teases her hair out with her fingers.

"So, um, the palace hasn't used magic to locate this run away bride. I have some spare coins, let's find a vendor of scrolls or a seer and see what we can turn up." Orendes says to the group. "Oh, and Gilanti's associates might be in the area. Maybe we can ply one with drinks, magic or what ever and get them to open up..."

Knowledge (Local) = [roll0]
Gather Info = [roll1]

esorscher
2013-02-14, 06:56 PM
Pyrro tries to identify the wizard. (Knowledge (Jeba): [roll0]) He has remained silent but observant the whole time.

Chimaera
2013-02-15, 05:46 AM
Banshrae goes distract herself in the Necromancy bookshelves and looking for some reagents and stuff (won't buy anything, but will try to socialize and discover anything)

Beschoren
2013-02-15, 04:55 PM
Pyrro recognizes the magician as Tofar, a respectable transmuter and travelling wizzard, that makes Jeba as his home between adventures. He's a lovely person and has many friends on many places. One of his latest achivements were a few prizes on the Tournment of Jalavia, a national adventurer's contest that draws the attention of the entire kingdom. He was known to associate with some adventurers that were considered heroes of the tournment, such as Nehebed Silentwhisper, Androzio Drunkenheart and Kid wayfarer.

Surely, he knows Giliatti more than you do. But you have no idea of how well they know each other or how helpfull he might be.

He spots Banshrae on the necromancy shelf and tells her "We just recived a grimorie from a Necromancer at the eastern border. Non-associates may look the spells inside for only 100 gold pieces! Intrested?"

Chimaera
2013-02-16, 06:33 PM
"Can I copy them too? Or just look at them? I'm looking for some reagents to empower some reanimating spells. Need I new guard since my last died in battle... I mean, undied".

Banshrae will talk a little with him and after a little while will introduce his friends and wait for someone with good conversation skills to try to find more of Giliati (she isn't very careful with woprds and since discrecy is needed she'll avoid asking open questions herself).

esorscher
2013-02-16, 07:42 PM
"Hello, Tofar. Good to see you again," Pyrro says. "That potion I bought from you three weeks ago really did the job, thanks again." He smiles broadly. "Any good stories to share?"

Diplomacy to improve attitude: [roll0]

zagan
2013-02-17, 12:42 PM
Axiom nod to the man, "It's good to see you again, Pyrro's right your potion were really useful."

OOC: diplomacy aid another: [roll0] dc 10

Beschoren
2013-02-17, 08:45 PM
Tofar shows a large smile as you show gratittude for the potions "I told you those potions of heroism were from a good stock, hehe. Oh, and of course you can copy the spells. That's additional 50 gold pieces per spell level, however - you see the bazaar must pay for itself"

He turns back to Pyrro "Good stories? well, my last adventures were on the Tournment as you already know. hehe, allways nice to fight orcs in arenas. But hot news arround here?" . The man looks up and passes his hand along the classical grey beard that many wizzards wear

"Hum, Captain Gonzo of the Town's guard is worried that a small scout squad is late. They were suposed to arrive last evening, but morning has come and they haven't arrived yet. He's a good man worried about good men, but officially they need a 24 hours tardiness to recognize that the scouts are missing. Before that period, he won't be reciving funds for any magical search or detection." Tofar seems to be somewhat concerned with those poor scouts fate. He dosen't like the idea of seeing any good jalavians suferring at any degree.

He them seems to snap another memory, somewhat exicted "Besides that we've been discussing, here the Bazzar, that Jumpter's moons Othelo, Horacio and Puck are aligned with the Criatis star and to us. That is a favorable position for the casting of certain transmutation spells, did you know? That's surely not an earth-shattering power inflow, but a smart caster with a sound plan can take benefit from such cosmic events." Tofar, as a reputable transmuter, would surely know much more about this topic if you ask. In fact, few mages in the realm would be as acknowledgeable on this topic than he.

Duncfoo
2013-02-18, 12:30 PM
Orends sees the group, especially Axiom, engage with that old wizard who pet his beard to much she slinks a little farther into the market looking for a reseller of scrolls or one of her less savory contacts. They might know if something strange had been happening with Gilanti.

Beschoren
2013-02-18, 08:57 PM
While the others talk to Tofar, Orendes talks to some other wizardlyings arround. they don't metion anyting strange about Giliatti. It seems he has been making business as usual - apearing once or twice per week, talking about magic stuff as well as pure chit-chat.

This could mean either that Gilliati didn't metion anything of his plans (if there were any) or that the mages at the bazaar are covering him up. Since Orendes talks to a good handfull of people, it would be less likely that everyone loves Gilliati and would lie for him. Besides, she is quite sure there was no mallice on the mages responses.

esorscher
2013-02-18, 09:29 PM
"Very sorry to hear about those guards," Pyrro says. "Would you tell me more about this celestial alignment you are speaking of?" Pyrro asks about the upcoming cosmic event first. He will let Tofar speak without interrupting; he will ask about Gilliatti later.

Beschoren
2013-02-18, 10:02 PM
Tofar keeps on talking about for some minutes, entering on such specific detais that Pyrro can just barely understand. He understands, however, that the "cosmic event", if well used, could enhance or allow certains spells or rituals to be cast, largely restricted to transmutations. This event lasts for a few days and is way beyond Pyrro or any of you to make use of it.

Tofar is quite excited talking about it, but he realizes you have a very subtle understanding of it and changes topic to avoid any embarassment.

When asked of Giliatti, Tofar says he's a nice mage, and that is good to have him arround. There are no special news about him, however. All his activities seems to be the usual ones for many many weeks.

esorscher
2013-02-18, 11:21 PM
"Do you know where I might find him?"

Duncfoo
2013-02-20, 01:28 AM
Orendes mumbles to herself, "Gah, this old guy is boring." She paws for a moment through baubles in front of a charm seller before starting to look for a scroll seller... Perhaps they would have a solution. "Do you have, something... uhhh... to help locate people? My grandma is old and has gone... missing." Orendes says.

Trying to find a scroll of Locate Person?? Is there something else that we could use?

Chimaera
2013-02-20, 06:35 AM
"I guess I'll pass looking for his Necromancy Grimoire, but I'll buy a single scroll of Benign Transposition... It's kinda hard to gesture in full plate armor so i'm avoiding such spells".

I'll buy the scroll and write it in the grimoire.

Beschoren
2013-02-20, 09:29 PM
Tofar talks to Pyrro as Banshare hand him the gold over the scrolls "Well, You could leave a message by the post office if you want to find him. Just set up an appointment and he will manage to reply you within a week or so. Otherwise you might bump with him here at the Bazaar or something"

Orendes easely finds scrolls of locate person, locate object, message, scrying... there is a note next to one of the selves showing the casting cost of certain spells... at the bazaar, the wizards cast such spells for money.

There would be no difficulty in asking for the wizzards to cast a detection spell for you. such services are ordinary in occurence and legal by law... but they are also registered in the bazaar should autorities request the scrying log due to criminal cases.

Spell, 0-level Caster level × 5 gp
Spell, 1st-level Caster level × 10 gp
Spell, 2nd-level Caster level × 20 gp
Spell, 3rd-level Caster level × 30 gp
Spell, 4th-level Caster level × 40 gp
Spell, 5th-level Caster level × 50 gp
Spell, 6th-level Caster level × 60 gp

zagan
2013-02-24, 09:04 AM
"Good idea Orendes, it's probably the fastest way to find your grand-mother."
Axiom listen to Tofar talking wondering if this cosmic convergence as any link with the princess disparition.
When a lull in the conversation come he ask, "Is there any ritual that can only be done during this sort of convergence ? Perhaps one that would require the sacrifice of a group of people, like for example a scout squad ?"

Beschoren
2013-02-24, 09:59 PM
Tofar readly responds to Axiom, with the awnser on the tip of his tongue "Yes, yes, this convergence is favorable to some ritual and sacrificial magic. I've dealt some time ago with the sacrifice of some costly spell scrolls, rare powders and small animals - I noticed an extension on the duration of the effects magical of the ritual. There are some theorethical studies about the permanency of some transmutation magic depending on the ritual being performed and the sacrificial component involved, but Ive never seen any sucessfull experimentation."

As Tofar sees any hint of rejection over sacrifices he performed, he says: "Be mindfull that certain sacrificial components need not to be associated with death, such as in dark offerings for black gods. Sometimes only a lock of hair, tears or blood might be enought to enpower the ritual. None of the experiments performed by me and other colleges were illegal or marked by evil."

for a moment he seem less relaxed and euphoric and a bit worried "As for a group sacrifice of sentinent beings to make use of this celestial conformation... It could only mean that a keen mind is planing a vile thing indeed. Something terrible to think of, but not only well-meaning jalavian magicians are aware of the possible enhancements this celestial phenomena might bring about."

but then he drives off such negative possibilities and continues on your questions "As for a ritual that could only work at such moment... complicated, but.... yes, it could be possible. But no novice magi would be able to reproduce, much less desing, such ritual."

Tofar realizes perhaps you're atually intrested in this celestial conformation, rather than just letting him speak over a topic he finds intresting "Are you intrested on making use of this energy?"

Duncfoo
2013-02-25, 06:38 PM
Orendes digs through her satchel and pulls out her purse for coins and the princesses items, "I brought some of my dear grandma's things to help." Orendes hands these over to the wizard, "Perhaps you can locate her with this?"

She also listens to the conversation with the mage with one ear. Something big could be in the works.

Knowledge (Arcana) = [roll0]
Deciding on Locate Person or Scrying - In OOC

zagan
2013-03-04, 03:39 PM
"No not for myself but I'm simply wondering if someone could potentialy be willing to kidnap people to make use of the celestial convergence. I'm mostly thinking out loud. Orendes question is more important."

Beschoren
2013-03-08, 07:46 PM
Tofar takes the cois from Orendes and count them at amazing speed (it's a habit of magic iten vendors) "Well, we could cast Locate Creature for you, but bear in mind that it has a small radius. we won't find her if he's in another blok in the town, plus the caster has to have met your old gramma. Scrying works much better for that. if she's anywhere, she can be found. If you describe her well to the caster and hand the cast a personal garnment, it would help a lot."

Then he turns to Axiom question "Well, of course someone could do that. You know, there are plenitude of criminals arround, with no fear of law, respect for the others, or limits to their greed. But, from all the wizards from here, I don't think any of them would ever do something so drastic just to extend a transmutation spell". Tofar seems confortable talking on the possibilities of the ritual, fiding your curiosity most entertening.

esorscher
2013-03-08, 08:54 PM
"It seems like we have some work to do before we cast the spell," Pyrro says. "Why don't we go pick up a scarf from your grandma's." Only later, when the group is alone and has no chance of being overheard will he mention, "I'm pretty well equipped to try and get some of that stuff, like a personal garment. If she has a window into her room I can get in and out real quick." He is thinking of the scrolls he has and the spells in his spellbook.

Chimaera
2013-03-09, 11:48 AM
"Let's try Locate Person and Scrying. If they don't work we could go to the temple and try a Commune spell or something like that".

Duncfoo
2013-03-12, 02:55 PM
Orends digs through her pack for a moment and brings out the writing sample and other articles the castle provided. "I've got some personal items right here sir," She toys with her hair a moment trying to recall what the princess was supposed to look like, "Well, my grandma has always been a beauty. Elves, we live a long time..." Orendes ignores the transmuting wizard. Hyper specialist were always so boring to talk to.

Knowledge Local: [roll0] - To give a good description of the princess
Bluff: [roll1]

esorscher
2013-03-12, 06:17 PM
"I'll buy a scroll and cast it myself," Pyrro says. "I have a decent idea of what your grandma looks like. I met her before, remember?" He buys the scroll of scrying and also one of locate person.

Know: Jeba [roll0]. He'll cast scrying first and his actions will depend on the results of his scrying.

Beschoren
2013-03-14, 05:21 PM
Your group pays for the scrolls and leaves the bazar. Having the garnements and mental images of the princess, Pyrro casts the scryign spell

Somewere, somehow, a magical sensor tingles just next to the princess. Unfortunately, the sensor shows nothing to Pyrro, and the only image he can see is that of a grey nothing. Pyrro realizes that the spell did not work properly, but is unable to tell why.

(Roled dice my desk, so you don't know if the princess made the save, or if there is some kind of spell protecting her, or even if she's dead)

Chimaera
2013-03-14, 10:48 PM
"So what now? Another try? Or try a Speak with the Dead spell? You know, in case she's already dead in some ritual or something?"

esorscher
2013-03-15, 08:36 AM
"Let's try a Speak with Dead or some sort of communing spell to make sure her spirit hasn't left this world. After we rule that out, we start trying to find this Giliatti again."

Duncfoo
2013-03-15, 11:46 AM
Orendes purses her lips and watches traffic walk by for a moment, "Well, we could try the same thing on Gillanti but I'm not sure it would work. I think if she were dead it just wouldn't find her, duh."

"What if we, like, just go into his house?"

Chimaera
2013-03-15, 12:07 PM
"The problem is: we don't know where he lives and there are no info of his place. Let's try going to the church and ask questions with a Commune spell or something. What you think?"

esorscher
2013-03-15, 05:47 PM
"However you pronounce this G's name, I could get another Scrying spell and we could cast it on him, but you'r right, it might turn up nothing. Then again, it might turn up something, and if gold is the only objection then its no objection." says Pyrro. "I have plenty. Of course I wouldn't mind splitting the cost of these scrolls, but that's just business and its not terribly important to me right now. That said, I definitely think we should go the divine casting route also and going to the church seems like a good idea. But we can't really ask direct questions to outsiders about the princess or word might get out she's gone. Let's see if we can find Giliatti's house or someone who knows him--split up and take a few hours to ask around in places he might hang out, gather information about him."

"And when we go into his house we should do so stealthily and at night. And take something personal for the scrying spell."

Beschoren
2013-03-16, 09:06 AM
You decide to go into the temple before using more money on the same spell. The town has a decente temple to Pelor, ofering scrolls, holy water, and casting of spells at honest prices.

When you neter the temple there are a few people praying next to an altar, with a prist talking to one of them. You follow the directions for the Trading Room inside the temple where 3 clerics talk, sitting on a chair. the walls are filled with scrolls and a few more magical itens. when you arrive one of them gets up and greets you "Greetings my friend, and blessings of the sun upon you! This is the Trading Room. are you looking for scrolls, magic itens, or the hiring of divine casting?"

it is pretty obvious to them you're adventurers of some sort. You know, you ahve "the looks"

Chimaera
2013-03-16, 12:14 PM
"Good day, priest. I1m Banshrae and these are my friends. We're looking for some divination spells or scrolls to help us find an old friend of us. He always had the 'lonely mage' steryotype you see. What you have that can help us, brother?"

Duncfoo
2013-03-19, 12:03 PM
Orednes stands behind the crazy undead loving lady and smiles while twirling her hair and looking around, "Say, nice place you got here..." she murmurs.

zagan
2013-03-20, 07:26 AM
Axiom stay silent while in the temple, simply observing and nodding at the appropriate place.

Chimaera
2013-03-23, 10:35 AM
"Hi there priest, we're investgating the disapearance of a group of scouts, don't know if you heard about it... It was four scouts and I was thinking about in the possibility that they're dead... Anyway, how much it will cost for a Speak with the Dead spell to talk with one of them?", Banshrae just got the idea that if the scout dissapearance and the kidnaping have any connection it would be much less suspicious if the group try finding them than to finding the princess. If the scouts are alive them she'll sugest using a Scrying in one of them or a Locate Person. It may end in nothing but it was her best idea so far.