PDA

View Full Version : Healing Hymn shennanigans

Invader
2013-01-28, 09:01 PM
If a bard has healing hymn active when lesser vigor is cast, would each subsequent tick of healing receive the bonus based on the bards perform ranks as long as healing hymn was still active?

It seems like it would and if so it seems quite beneficial.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-29, 04:20 AM
If a bard has healing hymn active when lesser vigor is cast, would each subsequent tick of healing receive the bonus based on the bards perform ranks as long as healing hymn was still active?

It seems like it would and if so it seems quite beneficial.

I believe the healing hymn bonus would be a one time thing, gained in the round the spell was cast.

Quirp
2013-01-29, 05:40 AM
I once had the very same idea and got told that Healing Hymn specifies adding the bonus to "the roll" (of dice). Since the Vigor line of spells do not heal based on rolled dice you cannot add the bonus to their healing.

Invader
2013-01-29, 06:06 AM
I once had the very same idea and got told that Healing Hymn specifies adding the bonus to "the roll" (of dice). Since the Vigor line of spells do not heal based on rolled dice you cannot add the bonus to their healing.

I don't have complete champion so I can't check the exact wording but it definitely seems like something that would work unless the wording of healing hymn is very specific.

Curmudgeon
2013-01-29, 08:22 AM
I don't have complete champion so I can't check the exact wording but it definitely seems like something that would work unless the wording of healing hymn is very specific.
It is very specific:
An affected ally who casts any conjuration (healing) spell gains a +1 sacred (if you're good or neutral) or profane (if you're evil) bonus on the roll for each rank you have in the Perform skill. No roll, no bonus.

Tulya
2013-01-29, 08:26 AM
Healing Hymn gives a sacred or profane bonus on rolls for Conjuration (healing) spells. No specific subset of rolls is identified or excluded.

Either you're talking RAW and there are no rolls made to apply the bonus to, and thus no benefit to be had for the Vigor line; or, you're talking RAI, and you could argue that HP healing in the form of spells like the Vigor line wasn't meant to be excluded - but the most reasonable interpretation would be to add the bonus only once in some form. (Immediately upon casting, distributed somewhat evenly throughout the duration, etc.)

---
Edit:
Darts of Life (Complete Champion, Cleric 5) may be relevant to your interests, though.

Invader
2013-01-29, 05:22 PM
Hmm, it was worth a shot lol.

Healing darts is nice but by 5th level, even with healing hymn it's not that impressive.

themightylex
2014-02-19, 11:53 PM
Healing darts is nice but by 5th level, even with healing hymn it's not that impressive.

I disagree. My bard has an item familiar and, consequently, double the ranks in perform. At 9th level, she's adding +24 to HP and Ability healing. I love it.

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-20, 12:02 AM
A. Item familiars don't grants bonus ranks.
B. Thread Necromancy is bad, m'kay?