PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Tiny Magical Beasts?

SpaceMouse
2013-01-28, 10:16 PM
So for reasons I can't entirely explain, I'm a wizard who's a Tiny Magical Beast.
I'm wondering: is there anything useful I can change into with Alter Self? I could change into any magical beast that's small or diminutive, but I don't imagine say, turning into a Small Hydra would help that much.

LOTRfan
2013-01-28, 10:26 PM
You have a few options.

You can be a bird (Corrolax in the Monster Manual II, Elysian Thrush in the Planar Handbook), a demented soul-eating squirrel (Skiurid in Monster Manual IV), flying bugs (Phase Wasp in Monster Manual II, Stirge in Monster Manual), a rat who is a normal rat most of the time but becomes EVIIIIL during the full moon (Moonrat in the Monster Manual II), and you can be a magical snake (Shadow Asp in the Fiend Folio).

EDIT: Oh, wait! I forgot about small critters. You have the cockatrice and the darkmantel from the Monster Manual, and I'm sure there are a few more small beasts in some books.

Urpriest
2013-01-28, 11:58 PM
Beguilers are small. I'm not sure they have any advantages via Alter Self whatsoever, but you get to look like Pikachu.

Olo Demonsbane
2013-01-29, 02:48 AM
You have a few options.

You can be a bird (Corrolax in the Monster Manual II, Elysian Thrush in the Planar Handbook), a demented soul-eating squirrel (Skiurid in Monster Manual IV), flying bugs (Phase Wasp in Monster Manual II, Stirge in Monster Manual), a rat who is a normal rat most of the time but becomes EVIIIIL during the full moon (Moonrat in the Monster Manual II), and you can be a magical snake (Shadow Asp in the Fiend Folio).

EDIT: Oh, wait! I forgot about small critters. You have the cockatrice and the darkmantel from the Monster Manual, and I'm sure there are a few more small beasts in some books.

I can't particularly remember if Assume Supernatural Ability works with Alter Self, but, if it does, Moonrat could be quite an interesting choice. During the full moon, it gets a ridiculous +8 Int, and a substantial bonus a lot of the time. Quite helpful for a wizard.

SpaceMouse
2013-01-29, 11:27 AM
You have a few options.

shame alter self doesn't give SLAs. getting color spray at will from the Corrolax would be useful. At least it means I could fly! That'd be advantageous. This is a great list! Thanks!

I can't particularly remember if Assume Supernatural Ability works with Alter Self, but, if it does, Moonrat could be quite an interesting choice. During the full moon, it gets a ridiculous +8 Int, and a substantial bonus a lot of the time. Quite helpful for a wizard.

from the SRD:

"You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth. You do not gain any supernatural special attacks, special qualities, or spell-like abilities of the new form. Your creature type and subtype (if any) remain the same regardless of your new form. You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype. "

Oh well :(