PDA

View Full Version : Red Mantis Assassin???

Letums Gate
2013-01-28, 11:17 PM
Hello Playground I was just on the Pathfinder SRD and noticed the Red Mantis Assassin was changed to the Crimson Assassin as well as there mask being removed and I was curious why they made these changes?

T.G. Oskar
2013-01-28, 11:36 PM
The PF SRD had some issues with Paizo regarding their product identity, and thus decided to close the site because of infringement. The SRD eventually reached an agreement where they'd remove all traces of product identity (including all iconic characters and all references to the world of Golarion), including the Red Mantis (which is one of the many organizations of the world). Thus, they removed all traces of product identity and made a generic alternative.

This is true of all other articles in the SRD.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-28, 11:38 PM
Hello Playground I was just on the Pathfinder SRD and noticed the Red Mantis Assassin was changed to the Crimson Assassin as well as there mask being removed and I was curious why they made these changes?

Pathfinder said they will take away open license if they didn't change their content since D20SRD became a store (recently started selling stuff). Since Stores can't be fans, Pathfinder as they had to.

It was partly D20SRd's fault for selling stuff and then advertise on the Paizo forums about it.
So they have to use open content non-setting stuff from now on.

ngilop
2013-01-28, 11:39 PM
PFSRD started selling pf materials on their website. as that conflcietd with the agreement Paizo gave them an ultimatum. either make the shop site a completely different site, shut the whole thing down, or do this other agreement.

I guess since the owner of PFSRD wnated to keep the moneys he was making he diced to keep the other agreement and now as per that agreement he cannot use any actual pathfinder names.

Letums Gate
2013-01-28, 11:44 PM
ok thank you for answering that question but that sucks is there any alternative that uses the proper information or do we have to do the book hunting our selves?

Worguron
2013-01-29, 12:01 AM
It still credits the correct book at the bottom of the page.

Blisstake
2013-01-29, 12:10 AM
ok thank you for answering that question but that sucks is there any alternative that uses the proper information or do we have to do the book hunting our selves?

You'll need the books, but mechanically the classes are the same.

Letums Gate
2013-01-29, 12:24 AM
Joy ok thank you every one for answering my questions

T.G. Oskar
2013-01-29, 01:15 AM
Too bad it doesn't make the PrC better. Like the Illithid Slayer/Slayer thing.

Basically, the SRD is doing the same as they did with the 3.5 SRD, but the latter has this little gem that makes an otherwise unremarkable class (sure, Illithid are pretty vicious monsters, but to devote an entire PrC to their destruction doesn't make it so good) into a pretty decent class (a great class for a psionic gish, not to mention the choices are wider).

Then again, the Red Mantis/Crimson Assassin is essentially an attempt to make an Assassin PrC with magic, considering the PF Assassin traded its spells for...a few class abilities that aren't so worthy. Considering the Rogue capstone does more for an Assassin archetype than the Assassin PrC...