PDA

View Full Version : So... What did you answer on the Origin poll?

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-29, 08:45 AM
Last night Origin (EA) threw up a popup asking "How likely I am to recommend Origin to a friend". My first respons was to click "0" out of 10, but then I decided that honestly that was not entirely true.

I ended up clicking "3", which to me basically translates to "I tell people that wants to play game X that requires Origin that Origin in itself is not a reason not to get the game".

This said, I doubt their overall rating will be over 5 out of 10...

JediSoth
2013-01-29, 08:59 AM
I didn't even realize there was a poll since the only game I played on Origin so put me off replaying it (ME3) that I haven't booted it up in months. I guess I'll log in tonight and give them a response. I'll probably give it a similar rating as you: Don't avoid a game just because of Origin, but don't go out of your way to install it just because it's a content delivery system. Steam is better.

JadedDM
2013-01-29, 10:37 AM
I refuse to play any game that requires Origin, full stop.

warty goblin
2013-01-29, 10:40 AM
It annoys me slightly less than Steam, so there's that.

Yora
2013-01-29, 10:49 AM
Asking only people who already use that thing might get results of only limited value.
But then, so would asking it people who refuse to use it to begin with. Probably depends on what they want to know.

Still, I don't see it providing any benefit. At best it's a neccessary evil that some people put up with because they really want to play certain games on PC.

Actana
2013-01-29, 11:41 AM
Personally, Origin bothers me very little. It's there in the background, starts up quicker (faster than Steam at any rate) and shuts down fast when I don't want it. That's about it. Wouldn't recommend it, but wouldn't not actively boycott it either. Origin is just kinda there whenever I boot up ME3.

Yora
2013-01-29, 12:13 PM
Can you start ME3 when you have no connection to the Origin server?

P equals NP
2013-01-29, 12:53 PM
^ Yes, you can, but you will obviously not be able to access its online features.

I have a slight dislike of EA, but I suppose Origin is adequate. Still don't care enough to actually vote, though.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there will indeed be a problem if your DLC can't be authenticated, since you won't even be able to access your single-player games.

The_Jackal
2013-01-29, 06:40 PM
I'd give Origin 0/10 if I bothered to play any games which require it anymore. It doesn't do anything Steam doesn't do 1000 times better. Why reinvent the wheel?

warty goblin
2013-01-29, 06:44 PM
I'd give Origin 0/10 if I bothered to play any games which require it anymore. It doesn't do anything Steam doesn't do 1000 times better. Why reinvent the wheel?

At least so far, Origin's offline mode hasn't decided that the game which worked just fine yesterday needs updated and reinstalled today. Steam's quaintly named 'offline mode' does this with some regularity.

Acanous
2013-01-29, 06:51 PM
Origin's less customizeable, but I actually like the lack of group invites/groups in general. Friendlist is fine, chat works well and is intuitive. The updates aren't in your face, and I don't get ads popping up all over my screen.

I'd put it a little above Steam and Impulse, just for not advertizing to me when I'm trying to game.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-01-29, 06:53 PM
0/10. :smallfurious:

I wouldn't recommend this...EAtrocity (heh heh heh, classic) to someone dying of a disease that requires Origin to live. It is a pox on my hardrive, and if I didn't like DA2 and BF3 so much, it'd be gone in an instant.

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-30, 04:32 AM

Because EA wants to take market shares from Valve, of course. I can fully understand them not wanting to help a competitior by using the competitor's distribution service for their products. This way they have much more control, and doesn't risk being cut off from Steam if they do something to take market shares from them.

Tavar
2013-01-30, 07:46 AM
Also, there might be money involved. Doesn't Valve take some money trims purchases over Steam?

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-30, 07:57 AM
0/10. Between the rootkits, the asinine customer service, and the lackluster selection... just say no.

Grif
2013-01-30, 08:08 AM
Also, there might be money involved. Doesn't Valve take some money trims purchases over Steam?

They do take a cut, if I recall an article that describes Steam's operating practices correctly.

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-30, 08:16 AM

Just pointing out that after my "It's about market shares and company competition" you post "Also, there might be money involved" :smallbiggrin:

As for the rest... I don't like Origin because the design is bad and they should feel bad. But I have come to terms with the fact that if you want to play anything new that has EA as a publisher, you have to have it. So I have all Bioware Games bought through Origin as well as Sims etc. Everything else is bought through Steam. I don't buy games at the store anymore.

0/10. Between the rootkits, the asinine customer service, and the lackluster selection... just say no.

As long as you are prepared to never ever play a Bioware game again, sure.

Andre
2013-01-30, 09:18 AM

Five years ago would have cringed, right now it's something I got no problems with. :smalltongue:

JadedDM
2013-01-30, 09:25 AM
Five years ago would have cringed, right now it's something I got no problems with. :smalltongue:

Ditto! In the unlikely event Bioware games start getting good again, I'd sooner just go and buy a console rather than touch Origin with a ten foot pole.

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-30, 09:31 AM

Heh. After the initial... issues with ME3 it turned out a very good game with an average ending.

DA2, on the other hand... Yuck.

I am very curious about ME4.

That said, there are too many other EA franchises I cannot live without, most noteably Sim City and The Sims.

Bouregard
2013-01-30, 10:45 AM
I picked 0/10

-prices are even higher then with steam. (even excluding sales/promotions)
-user unfriendly standard settings
-impossible to change shop language
-whoever designed those sites and the position of bars/buttons doesn't deserve his job
-support gives different answers on the same problem.
-horrible search function
-low amount of titles

Don't get me wrong, I understand why EA wants to set up it's own storesystem. But the current version is similar to steam from 8 years ago.

I'm forced to use it as I like to play with some friends BF³, but as soon as this is over...

For me it's now GOG and steam. Both have their own ups and downs.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-30, 11:16 AM

Wait... there are people who actually *want* to play Bioware games?

Well, different strokes for different folks, I guess. I mean, there's people into S&M, presumably at least a hefty percentage of them into pain, so I suppose there's a client base there...

Grif
2013-01-30, 11:54 AM

Not as hard as you think it would be. Bioware has fallen far from its lofty pedastal it held just after it released Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins in 2007.

Origin was just the final nail in the coffin for me. I had been looking out for ME3 on a discount, but I'm not at all keen in installing what amounts to adware from EA.

Andre
2013-01-30, 12:11 PM
I like GOG, and their own downloader thingie improved.
Admittedly only purchased a very very few titles, but stuff like Master of Orion 2 for less than one euro? Or Witcher 2 EE for five euros during the holiday sale? That's cheaper than pirating, and I can run them directly without clients. Can I get an hell yeah?

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-30, 01:08 PM

Ha ha. :smalltongue: I think the ME3 thread has been going on for several "generations".

Bioware has disappointed me, especially with Dragon Age 2, so I am no longer interested in that particular franchise. However I am VERY interested in the Mass Effect franchise.

warty goblin
2013-01-30, 01:13 PM
I like GOG, and their own downloader thingie improved.
Admittedly only purchased a very very few titles, but stuff like Master of Orion 2 for less than one euro? Or Witcher 2 EE for five euros during the holiday sale? That's cheaper than pirating, and I can run them directly without clients. Can I get an hell yeah?

The number of games I own on GoG is, to put it mildly, slightly distressing.

JadedDM
2013-01-30, 03:14 PM
I keep adding games to my GOG.com account faster than I can finish them.

A year ago I had a backlog of 8 games.

Now I have a backlog of 20 games.

...Help!

stabbybelkar
2013-02-01, 07:55 PM

Hey, say what you will about DA2, TOR and ME3, but there are very few people who won't at least admit that Balder's Gate was fun.

warty goblin
2013-02-01, 08:42 PM
I keep adding games to my GOG.com account faster than I can finish them.

A year ago I had a backlog of 8 games.

Now I have a backlog of 20 games.

...Help!

My count just passed eighty. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the highlights of my week. One of these week's they'll have to release Draken, right?