PDA

View Full Version : advice needed: invisible blade

kanachi
2006-11-06, 02:25 PM
I want some advice on a weapon I want to make.

Its basically a scimitar with a invisible blade (though the wielder can always see the blade). It’s also made from a special type of crystal thats extremely sharp and light.

The weapon is basically a +1 scimitar which denies your target their dexterity bonus to AC unless they make DC 25 spot check. A spell of true seeing also allows the target to ignore this effect.

Its got a monstrous 18-20 x4 critical multiplier BUT if at any time the weapon scores such a critical hit it will sunder. As the weapon shatters it I want it to incurs 1d8 points of slashing damage to the wielder and all within 5 foot of his/her location.

How do you think such a weapon should cost?

Thankyou!

Triaxx
2006-11-06, 06:49 PM
Nearly 2,500gp, at least. The price of the crystal, and the special manufacturing equipment to construct the weapon. Is the +1 natural? Or if the weapon comes enchanted, that's additional. You may or may not wish to additionally add the cost of a normal scimitar.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-11-06, 09:51 PM
It'll probably need to be really expensive or otherwise this'll be a must-have for all rogues.

Tibor
2006-11-06, 11:07 PM
Indeed, that's a pretty powerful magical item in the hands of a rogue. I would say it should cost at least $5000GP, if not more. I'm not sure if the whole breaking on a crit makes up for the power this could provide to anything with sneak attack.

XtheYeti
2006-11-07, 02:59 PM
6000 gp and lower the X4 to an X3 to balance it out

PinkysBrain
2006-11-07, 03:08 PM
Since True Seeing affects it it needs to be at least partially magical, not just material.

I personally would never let you make it for the very simple reason that it forces an extra roll every attack ... a DM has got enough to do already.

kakkerlak
2006-11-10, 11:32 PM
when fighting somone with an ac of lets say 14 (+4 is a standard armour bonus) it's a 5% chance of breaking your weapon and turning it into an effective shrapnel grenade with every attack, i think that it should cost about 1000. it won't see alot of use. but it would make an interesting weapon for a bad guy though.

Triaxx
2006-11-11, 07:05 PM
Perhaps, it should have a backstab bonus? I mean, If I sneak up behind you, and stab you with an invisible blade, I'm going to do more damage because you won't even see a glint of light to alert you.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-11-11, 07:23 PM
when fighting somone with an ac of lets say 14 (+4 is a standard armour bonus) it's a 5% chance of breaking your weapon and turning it into an effective shrapnel grenade with every attack, i think that it should cost about 1000. it won't see alot of use. but it would make an interesting weapon for a bad guy though.

15% chance, actually. 18-20 to crit. But it should cost 5000 GP. That will stop a rogue from getting thousands of these things. Perhaps also make them hard to get, so you can't stock up.

kakkerlak
2006-11-11, 09:11 PM
with the critical hit rules my group uses, if you roll lets say an 18, you would roll again with the dc of the opponents ac to see if you succeede the critical hit

but i agree with Fualkner Asiniti. actually no i think this should be a unique weapon i think there should only be one or two of these things. you could make it to where you could have a spell cast on it to repair it and maybe it would cost more then

kanachi
2006-11-11, 09:24 PM
i also agree, they are to come as a set and were crafted by a peerless master. They are not the kind of thing you can pick up off the shelf.