PDA

View Full Version : Infinite feats and skills with reincarnate?

Wookie-ranger
2013-01-29, 08:52 PM
Reincarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm) is a funny little spell. It lets a dead creature comeback in another race.
One line stuck my fancy:

A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form. It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed. Its class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and hit points are unchanged bold mine.

So by RAW, when a human dies and is reincarnated into something else he will retain his bonus feat and bonus skill points. Just to emphasis the human bonus skill points are not classified as a "racial skill bonus" unlike in other races such as gnome or elf. Humans gain skill points, with them they 'buy' skill ranks, and those by RAW are retained.

AND:
If a gnome dies and is reincarnated into a human it would gain a feat and skill points.
The reincarnated creature gains all abilities associated with its new form

Lets combine the two :smallamused:
1. human dies
2. reincarnated as gnome (gains gnome "traits" but he would keep the feat)
3. gnome dies
4. reincarnated as human (Looses the gnome "traits", but would gain the human bonus feat and skill points)
5. goto 1
6. ...
7. Profit (and infinite feats?)

Am I missing something?
I purposefully ignored the level-lose or Con penalty, as there are number of incredibly cheesy and broken RAW ways to get around it.

sreservoir
2013-01-29, 09:09 PM
use last breath.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-29, 09:31 PM
Am I missing something?
I purposefully ignored the level-lose or Con penalty, as there are number of incredibly cheesy and broken RAW ways to get around it.
0) DM Fiat to deal with the cheesy RAW-abuser
1) This is very expensive. Coming up human (the gem) has only a 15% chance. It costs 1,000 gp in components each attempt (this is ignoring whatever it costs to get the caster to do this for you). It's an average of something like 7,000 gp per feat that way (would be 6,666.6666 repeating, except you also need to account for the costs of getting off being human).
2) This is risky. You pretty much have to bribe someone else to do it for you (at least with most builds; the Druid/Wizard/Theurge build can eventually use Contingency on Last Breath), and really, what's to stop the guy who's casting the spell for you from simply letting you stay dead and looting your body? Especially considering you're going after a nature-caster, and are seriously abusing the whole "cycle of life" thing for no reason other than personal power.
3) Even with a way around 2, it's still risky. There's always that 1% chance, you see, that you'll come back as something of the DM's choice. Like maybe a mushroom spore drifting on the breeze.

AuraTwilight
2013-01-29, 10:11 PM
Yeaaa....no. Reincarnation doesn't give you new feats and skill points, because your character isn't a starting adventurer taking his first level for the first time. He's the same dude.

Acanous
2013-01-29, 10:15 PM
Long story short: This works by RAW, but is not reccomended for actual play. Too many ways it can go wrong.

searlefm
2013-01-29, 10:38 PM
namely you finishing the night in E.R from book to face related wounds