PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Cleric 8/ Sov Speaker 3/ Contemplative 1

Valdis
2013-01-30, 01:10 AM
I'm running a solo campaign... so keep that in mind. I have never been higher than Level 9, ever.
I'm a Cleric 8/ Sov Speaker 3 ... planning on being Cleric 8/ Sov Speaker 4-5/ Walker in the Waste 9/ Dry Lich.

I'm basically wanting some willing people to look through my charactor and tell me if everything looks OK.
If you see something that needs to be fixed, please let me know. I have not played in 9 years and I'm a novice at most of this.
I also have no idea what power of enchantments my weapons and armor should have at level 11-12... should my mace be higher or lower than +3... things like that.
I would like help with Feats, since some are not chosen yet.
Items... should I keep what I have or should I sell some of them?

As far as my charactors overall wealth, remember that I'm in a solo campaign so I have to do the work of at least 4 players. Is my wealth consistant with that or do I need less or more stuff?

Also, I was thinking about maybe getting away from the Mace.. if I choose a deity that prefers the sword, do I gain proficiency with a sword? Cyric for example. NEVERMIND about the sword question...
I gained that ability from the Sov Speaker PrC.. LOL -
You gain proficiency in all favored weapons of the Host: Battleaxe, halberd, heavy mace, longsword, morningstar, quarterstaff, sickle, spear, and warhammer.

Cleric 8/ Sovereign Speaker 2/ Contemplative 1
Human - Neutral Evil
8d8 + 3d8 + 22 (78 hp), 89 hp w/DP
Str = 16 (22 w/Divine Power)
Dex = 13
Con = 15
Int = 12
Wis = 18 (22 w/ periapt of wisdom +4)
Cha = 12 (14 w/ cloak of charisma +2)
Saving Throws: Fort +9, Reflex +4, Will +16
Attacks: +12/+7 (+3 Str, +3 Mace)
Attack w/DP: +20/+15 (11 BAB, +6 Str, +3 Mace)
Weapon:
Heavy Mace +3 (From Nedrezar, Clerics Challenge )
Armor: (AC 23)
Bracers of Armor +7 (From Nedrezar, Clerics Challenge Solo)
Ring of Protection +3 (From Reginard, Clerics Challenge Solo)
Small Wood Shield of Defense +1 (+2 AC)

Domains: Planning, Undeath, Magic, Lust, Travel. I'm going to pickup Envy when I move to the Contemplative PrC.

Feats:
Extend Spell (Planning Domain)
Extra Turning (Undeath Domain)
Persistent Spell (1st)
DMM (1st, Human)
Corpse Crafter (Never Used, can be changed)
3rd level - NONE or Keep Corpse Crafter
6th level - NONE
9th level - NONE
12th level - NONE, will be level 12 very soon

Skills: Not sure what to do here.. I have +14 Knowledge Religion, +12 Spellcraft, +6 Concentration, +11 Craft Stuff

Items worth note:
Cloak of Charisma +2
Ring of Counterspells
Potion of Flying
Wand of Fireball/5th x12 (Taken off Reginard's corpse)
Wand of Polymorph x8 (rolled for this, from young black dragon)
Wand of cure light wounds x25 (rolled for this, from young black dragon)
Wand of cure light wounds x38 (rolled for this, from young black dragon)
Periapt of Proof against Poison (Found in Clerics Challenge Solo)
Periapt of Wisdom +4
Major Ring of Fire Resistance DR/20
Pearl of Power
Ring of Warmth

Money: Sp: 4,140 , Gp: 49,550

Spells:
1st: cure light wounds, inflict light wounds, sanctuary, hide from undead, shivering touch
2nd: Cure mod wounds, Inflict mod wounds, bulls strength, darkbolt, hold person
3rd: Summon undead 3, Inflict serious wounds, dispel magic, bestow curse
4th: Consumptive Field, Divine Power, Cure Crit Wounds, Moon Bolt
5th: Heart Clutch, Triadspell, Slay Living

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-30, 01:23 AM
I take it that we're ignoring Alignment prerequisites here.

IIRC, don't the Sovereign Speaker's bonus domains have to be chosen from the Host's selection of domains?

Valdis
2013-01-30, 01:29 AM
I take it that we're ignoring Alignment prerequisites here.

IIRC, don't the Sovereign Speaker's bonus domains have to be chosen from the Host's selection of domains?

Alignment prereqs? Where, I didn't see any... just said I needed to follow the Sov Host.

I followed this when choosing my domains:

You cannot choose more than two domains offered by the same deity. For example, if you have the Strength and War domains, you can't can't choose Good since Dol Dorn offers all three.

Santra
2013-01-30, 01:32 AM
Alignment prereqs? Where, I didn't see any... just said I needed to follow the Sov Host.

I followed this when choosing my domains:

Looks like he is correct. The domains must be offered by the gods listed. Bold for your easy reading.
Bonus Domain: For every level you take in this class, you gain a bonus domain offered by one of the deities of the Sovereign Host. You cannot choose more than two domains offered by the same deity (for example, if you already have the Strength and War domains, you can't choose Good, since Dol Dorn offers all three). You also can't choose an alignment domain if your own alignment does not match i

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-30, 01:36 AM
Domains: Planning, Undeath, Magic, Envy, Travel.. soon to add Lust. Was going to stay until 13 level to gain a blaster domain (Fire, Sun, Storm) but not sure if it's worth it.

None of the bolded domains belong to one of the Host (according to Faiths of Eberron, at least).

And I could have sworn that there was a NG prereq on this. Huh.

Valdis
2013-01-30, 01:40 AM
Was my understanding that ALL the gods were included in the Sov Host PrC.

According to this statement:
http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o676/wichitadisciple/sovspeak_zps9ef203bf.jpg

Given that, I should be able to worship the 6 banished gods and still qualify for the Sov Speaker PrC... and choose from their domains.

BTW.. Planning and Undeath were my first 2 domains.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-30, 01:44 AM
Check again - Planning, Undeath, Lust, Envy and Storm are not offered by the Dark Six either.

It's pretty clear that the intent is for you to select domains from amongst the current members of the Host.

Valdis
2013-01-30, 02:07 AM
Check again - Planning, Undeath, Lust, Envy and Storm are not offered by the Dark Six either.

It's pretty clear that the intent is for you to select domains from amongst the current members of the Host.

Planning and Undead are irrelevant to this conversation since I had them at 1st level.
Lust and Envy are the 2 I'm worried about... mainly Lust because of the Charisma bonus.

Damn, I thought those were included because most of the Domains listed in the Sov Speaker PrC come from the Spell Compendium.... so do Lust and Envy, I didn't realize they skipped right over them.
Lust Domain (SC 276)
Envy Domain (SC 273-274)
Only Erythnul has Envy ... and only Sharess has Lust..
This is why I haven't "chosen" a deity yet, I don't want to get trapped like this.

OK, so I can add Travel and Magic... just not Envy or Lust ... looks like I need to back up a level, jump out of this PrC, and go to another that will grant an additional domain (preferably without losing another Caster Level)

@Kuulvheysoon ... thanks for catching that, I asked you to find mistakes and you did. Thank You. :smallsmile:

Santra
2013-01-30, 02:15 AM
Planning and Undead are irrelevant to this conversation since I had them at 1st level.
Lust and Envy are the 2 I'm worried about... mainly Lust because of the Charisma bonus.

Damn, I thought those were included because most of the Domains listed in the Sov Speaker PrC come from the Spell Compendium.... so do Lust and Envy, I didn't realize they skipped right over them.
Lust Domain (SC 276)
Envy Domain (SC 273-274)
Only Erythnul has Envy ... and only Sharess has Lust..
This is why I haven't "chosen" a deity yet, I don't want to get trapped like this.

OK, so I can add Travel and Magic... just not Envy or Lust ... looks like I need to back up a level, jump out of this PrC, and go to another that will grant an additional domain (preferably without losing another Caster Level)
No idea man. Only time I ever used this the DM and I refluffed it. I was playing a cleric of ancestor worship who had each of his domains represent him getting in touch with a different ancestor spirit.

Valdis
2013-01-30, 02:46 AM
No idea man. Only time I ever used this the DM and I refluffed it. I was playing a cleric of ancestor worship who had each of his domains represent him getting in touch with a different ancestor spirit.

Looks like I'll have to back up to level 10, then I'll enter the Contemplative PrC and take either Envy or Lust. I can leave it at that or I could go to the 6th level and take the last domain.
I could take Envy and when I reach 7th (Limited Wish) or 9th (Wish) ... do you think I could "Wish" for the Lust Domain?

Now that we have that taken care of.... anything else?

Did some searching on the Lust Domain... the Lust Domain is a sub domain of the Charm Domain. So guess what!? I CAN get it through the Sov Speaker PrC.

KOL KORRAH'S DOMAINS
Charm, Commerce (Eberron Campaign Setting 105), Pact (Spell Compendium 278), Trade (Spell Compendium 281), Travel, Wealth (Spell Compendium 281)

Charm
Love, Lust

Yay!!
Guess I should add my source (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Subdomain#cite_note-APG-86-97-2) for this. Yeah, it's Pathfinder but I see people mix D&D + PF on these forums all the time.

I'm really surprised that nobody has told me that my armor stinks, because I know it does. I haven't bought anything yet, just found the bracers. At level 12 what enchantment bonus should I be at on my armor and weapons? Full Plate +1/2/3?

Any suggestions on must have Feats for a Cleric. I know I'll need Heat Endurance for the Walker PrC. What else should I look at? Maximize Spell?

andromax
2013-01-30, 12:56 PM
The domains don't really matter, because you can use Substitute Domain on any crappy domain you don't want for any domain you do want. This only doesn't work if the domain is a prerequisite.

In your case it just gives you an extra domain and the end result is you get whatever domain you want for a number of days equal to your CL.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-30, 01:14 PM
If you can start a dry lich, do so. Cleric 3 will get you in. This allows you to completely dump Con in place of Cha and wisdom.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-30, 02:00 PM
If you can start a dry lich, do so. Cleric 3 will get you in. This allows you to completely dump Con in place of Cha and wisdom.

Cleric 3? Unless we're using early entry shenanigans, you have to wait for Cleric 5 (as Black Sand and Haboob are 3rd level generic cleric spells).

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-30, 02:05 PM
Get the sand and/or thirst domain can make that sooner. Early entry with spontaneous domain casting and versatile spellcaster can get you in at cleric 1 / walker in the waste x. See about retraining the domain to something else later, once you have enough spellcasting to maintain your ability to stay a walker.

If you are going to be undead, you should get that way as early in your build as possible to allow you to maximize the ability to pick and choose your stats.

Valdis
2013-01-30, 02:19 PM
The domains don't really matter, because you can use Substitute Domain on any crappy domain you don't want for any domain you do want. This only doesn't work if the domain is a prerequisite.

In your case it just gives you an extra domain and the end result is you get whatever domain you want for a number of days equal to your CL.

The main reason I've stuck with getting more domains are for a couple reasons. I want to have the special abilities on hand at all times... Lust for example: Once per day as a free action, you gain an enhancement bonus to Charisma equal to your cleric level. The power lasts for 1 round.

This would help me to Persist more spells and would like to have it on hand at all times. The Magic Domain because I have wands that I want to use. Etc.

Substitute Domain is a great option though and I'm sure I'll use it.

I'm going to start the Walker PrC now so I can do as suggested. Now I just need to find some Charisma items.

EDIT: Also, as far as prereqs for the Walker PrC... do I need to have 3 spells from the Sand/Thirst domains in my prepared spell list, or just access to 3 of the spells... that part has always confused me.

Since this is a solo campaign, should I multiply my wealth by 4 to even the playing field or should I stick with the suggested wealth for a character my level?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-30, 06:28 PM

Unfortunately, they do matter. Since one of the prerequisites for entering Sovereign Speaker is worshipping them, your two initial domains must come from their offered domains.

Deity, Domains, and Domain Spells

A cleric’s deity influences his alignment, what magic he can perform, his values, and how others see him. A cleric chooses two domains from among those belonging to his deity. A cleric can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if his alignment matches that domain.

--- --- oOo --- ---

You might want to take a closer look at the spell description;

The power of your deity courses through you, re-placing what you once knew with different ideas and abilities.
Upon casting substitute domain, you can swap one of your current domains for another that your deity offers.
You gain the granted power of the new domain, as well as access to any of its spells that you can cast—though you must still prepare the spells normally.

--- --- oOo --- ---

Get the sand and/or thirst domain can make that sooner. Early entry with spontaneous domain casting and versatile spellcaster can get you in at cleric 1 / walker in the waste x. See about retraining the domain to something else later, once you have enough spellcasting to maintain your ability to stay a walker.

If you are going to be undead, you should get that way as early in your build as possible to allow you to maximize the ability to pick and choose your stats.

Again, no deity in Eberron, let alone the Sovereign Host, offers either the Sand of Thirst domains as part of their portfolio.

Valdis
2013-01-30, 07:09 PM
Unfortunately, they do matter. Since one of the prerequisites for entering Sovereign Speaker is worshipping them, your two initial domains must come from their offered domains.

Requirements
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks

Feats: Worldly Focus

Sovereign Host, without favoring one god above the others,
access to at least one cleric domain (Eberron adepts meet
this requirement).

Nowhere does it say your initial domains must come from their offered domains.

At first level I had NO deity, so therefor I'm not required to select domains from any specific dietys domains. If I joined Sov Speaker at level 1 then your argument would be valid, but that's not the case.

As far as "worshiping them"... I got Planning and Undeath at 1st level, I joined the Sov Speaker PrC at level 9. Kol Korran is a True Neutral deity and he sounds like a deity that a NE charactor could/would worship.

Kol Korran is the patron of traders and merchants, though rogues and thieves also worship his darker aspects. Though loyal to the Host, Kol Korran frequently schemes and lays plots to enrich himself, often at the expense of other members of the Host.

As far as domains are concerned...Case closed.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-30, 07:30 PM
"A cleric who changes his patron deity must complete a quest to prove his devotion to his new patron. The nature of the quest depends on the deity, and it always clearly reflects the deity's alignment as well as his or her goals and beliefs. To start the process, the cleric must voluntarily accept a geas/quest spell cast by a higher-level cleric of his new deity. During the quest, the cleric has no access to spells or cleric class features -- except his weapon and armor proficiencies, which he does not forfeit.

Upon completing the quest, the cleric receives the benefit of an atonement spell from a cleric of the new deity. The character then becomes a cleric of the new deity and is inducted into the clergy during an appropriate ceremony of the DM's choosing. After selecting two of the new deity's domains in lieu of his old ones, the character has all the powers and abilities of his previous cleric level, plus the granted powers of his new domains.

This method is the only one by which a cleric can change his deity."

Not quite RAW, but I'd definietly call it RAI (switching from no-god to a god).

Psyren
2013-01-30, 07:39 PM
Rather than wrangle about this, just ask your DM if you have to stick to the Host or not. You're alone so he's probably going to give you some kind of buff or advantage to make up for having no party.

Furthermore, the adaptation (FoE 35) lets you worship any pantheon - or even every single god in your setting at once - and still get the benefits. This is obviously a powerful option, but again, you're alone.

Valdis
2013-01-30, 07:42 PM
"This method is the only one by which a cleric can change his deity."

Not quite RAW, but I'd definietly call it RAI (switching from no-god to a god).

It's not "changing" a deity if you never had one to begin with.
When you start out at 1st level do you have to "complete a quest to prove his devotion to his patron"
NO, because you didn't have a deity before 1st level, I didn't have a deity before 9th level... therefor no quest is required, nor can an "atonement spell from a cleric" provide proof of your devotion.

Valdis
2013-01-30, 07:46 PM
Rather than wrangle about this, just ask your DM if you have to stick to the Host or not. You're alone so he's probably going to give you some kind of buff or advantage to make up for having no party.

Furthermore, the adaptation (FoE 35) lets you worship any pantheon - or even every single god in your setting at once - and still get the benefits. This is obviously a powerful option, but again, you're alone.

I'm the character and the DM of my solo campaign. I'm trying to find a local group to game with but until then I'm doing this.
That is why I asked what equipment I should have, as far as enchantment bonuses.
Since I'm the DM, I could give myself anything I want.... but I'm doing my best to follow the rules. I've never been a DM before, so almost all this is new to me. Specifically treasure and equipment... I don't want to "cheat" and give myself too much and at the same time I don't want to "cheat" myself out of the things I need.

andromax
2013-01-30, 10:35 PM
The main reason I've stuck with getting more domains are for a couple reasons. I want to have the special abilities on hand at all times... Lust for example: Once per day as a free action, you gain an enhancement bonus to Charisma equal to your cleric level. The power lasts for 1 round.

This would help me to Persist more spells and would like to have it on hand at all times. The Magic Domain because I have wands that I want to use. Etc.

Substitute Domain is a great option though and I'm sure I'll use it.

I'm going to start the Walker PrC now so I can do as suggested. Now I just need to find some Charisma items.

EDIT: Also, as far as prereqs for the Walker PrC... do I need to have 3 spells from the Sand/Thirst domains in my prepared spell list, or just access to 3 of the spells... that part has always confused me.

Since this is a solo campaign, should I multiply my wealth by 4 to even the playing field or should I stick with the suggested wealth for a character my level?
Don't get me wrong, I strongly encourage getting extra domains. I mean't "don't worry about picking from a small list of domains, then worrying about making structural changes to your character due to that." Because any domain gained equates to any domain you want and the more the merrier.

As for your armor, it's really hard to beat Mithril chainshirt +1 with a Masterwork Chahar-aina, and a masterwork Dastana. You end up with It's an AC of 6 mundane (7 with the +1), no armor check penalty, cheap, no speed restrictions etc. If you have a crazy dex you could even throw on the +1 enhancement that raises the max dex bonus by 2 to a total of +8.

Fullplate is cool, but hopefully you don't find yourself swimming or climbing anytime, ever.

Valdis
2013-01-30, 11:32 PM
As for your armor, it's really hard to beat Mithril chainshirt +1 with a Masterwork Chahar-aina, and a masterwork Dastana. You end up with It's an AC of 6 mundane (7 with the +1), no armor check penalty, cheap, no speed restrictions etc. If you have a crazy dex you could even throw on the +1 enhancement that raises the max dex bonus by 2 to a total of +8.

Is this any better than what I currently have?
+7 Bracers of Armor
+3 Ring of Protection
+2 Light Wood Shield of Defense
+1 Dex Bonus (13 Dex)
For a total of +13 AC (23 total)... armor check penalty of –1

andromax
2013-01-30, 11:54 PM
The only benefit the bracers of armor give you over the +1 mithril chain shirt, mw dastana, mw charha-aina(sp?), combo (they're both +7 AC) is that the bracers have no max dex (not an issue for you), and don't count as armor. This lets you apply monk armor bonuses, wis to ac etc. the difference in price is 2,400gp vs 48,000gp. The chainshirt can be boosted with greater magic armor etc, so that's an advantage over the bracers. If you rely on wis to ac, the bracers are hard to beat if u can afford them.

Valdis
2013-01-30, 11:58 PM
The only benefit the bracers of armor give you over the +1 mithril chain shirt, mw dastana, mw charha-aina(sp?), combo (they're both +7 AC) is that the bracers have no max dex (not an issue for you), and don't count as armor. This lets you apply monk armor bonuses, wis to ac etc. the difference in price is 2,400gp vs 48,000gp. The chainshirt can be boosted with greater magic armor etc, so that's an advantage over the bracers. If you rely on wis to ac, the bracers are hard to beat if u can afford them.

I do have Bracers of Armor +7, it's in my first post.
I was lucky and killed the boss of the solo and took them off his corpse, I also got my +3 mace from him :smallsmile:
Though I'm not a monk so I'm not sure how I could apply my wisdom to my AC.

Psyren
2013-01-31, 12:16 AM
I was lucky and killed the boss of the solo and took them off his corpse, I also got my +3 mace from him :smallsmile:

Monk's Belt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#beltMonks)

Valdis
2013-01-31, 12:23 AM
Monk's Belt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#beltMonks)

If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk.

So my next question would be... what is the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th level monk?

I'm trying to look this stuff up, but if you know off the top of your head, that would be great.

EDIT: I looked it up and a 5th level monk only has an AC bonus of +1, where does wisdom come into the equation?
I found this, does this come with the Monks Belt?

AC Bonus (Ex)
When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level.
So my bracers of armor +7 woud work great with this. Do I lose my Dex bonus to AC if I use the belt?

andromax
2013-01-31, 12:50 AM
Yeah I know, I was replying to your question below.

Is this any better than what I currently have?
+7 Bracers of Armor
+3 Ring of Protection
+2 Light Wood Shield of Defense
+1 Dex Bonus (13 Dex)
For a total of +13 AC (23 total)... armor check penalty of –1
So the monks belt would make the bracers much better, especially for a cleric.

The AC of a 5th lvl monk (unarmored, and ligh load) is Wis to AC (applies even flat footed) and a +1 untyped bonus that also applies flat footed.

Valdis
2013-01-31, 12:55 AM
Yeah I know, I was replying to your question below.

So the monks belt would make the bracers much better, especially for a cleric.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did the math and by getting the belt and dropping the shield, my AC went from 23 to 28.
This will work well until I can find a shield and armor to put some enchantments on. If I decide to go that route.

For my next trick I need to find a way to increase my natural armor. I'm currently wearing a Periapt of Wisdom +4 and natural armor buff normally come as amulets. I don't think I can wear 2 magic items around my neck and get benefits from them both.

Psyren
2013-01-31, 01:19 AM
I found this, does this come with the Monks Belt?

Yes, it does:

If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk. This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.

In short, you take the entire "AC Bonus" ability from the monk entry, apply it to your character, then reference the monk table (at level 5) for the bonus beyond Wis.

andromax
2013-01-31, 01:27 AM
For my next trick I need to find a way to increase my natural armor. I'm currently wearing a Periapt of Wisdom +4 and natural armor buff normally come as amulets. I don't think I can wear 2 magic items around my neck and get benefits from them both.
With the rules in the MiC, you can have a periapt of wisdom & natural armor for the price of both of them combined. Don't have the exact wording handy but essentially you don't have to pay the extra that the DMG says, as long as the effect is common to that slot. Example necklace nat armor +2(8k gp) & wis +2(4kgp) costs 12k total.

Valdis
2013-01-31, 01:35 AM
With the rules in the MiC, you can have a periapt of wisdom & natural armor for the price of both of them combined. Don't have the exact wording handy but essentially you don't have to pay the extra that the DMG says, as long as the effect is common to that slot. Example necklace nat armor +2(8k gp) & wis +2(4kgp) costs 12k total.

Oh, so I can add natural armor and wisdom to the same amulet?
Any idea how much a +5 natural armor and +4 wisdom amulet would cost? Figured out where you were looking, I'm still trying to get used to all the acronyms... Magic Item Compendium

Did some searching in the MiC and it has quotes for individual amulets:
+4 Wisdom = 16K
+5 Natural Armor = 50K
Would it be 66K to make that into 1 amulet?

andromax
2013-01-31, 02:08 AM
Well enhancement bonuses to natural armor are [bonus squared]x2,000gp. For a an enhancement bonus of natural armor of 5, it would cost (5x5x2,000) 50,000gp.

Then you ad the costs of the wisdom enhancement bonus (bonus squared )x 1,000gp. in this case 16,000gp.

50k + 16k ends up at 66k, yes

It's also important to note that this +5 enhancement bonus to natural armor would stack with natural armor that is not an enhancement bonus such as you would see with certain creatures or templates.

Valdis
2013-01-31, 02:38 AM
Well enhancement bonuses to natural armor are [bonus squared]x2,000gp. For a an enhancement bonus of natural armor of 5, it would cost (5x5x2,000) 50,000gp.

Then you ad the costs of the wisdom enhancement bonus (bonus squared )x 1,000gp. in this case 16,000gp.

50k + 16k ends up at 66k, yes

It's also important to note that this +5 enhancement bonus to natural armor would stack with natural armor that is not an enhancement bonus such as you would see with certain creatures or templates.

Nice, that will work great with my Withered Toughness that I'll get from the Walker in the Waste PrC.. though it's only +2 natural armor.

I'll have to look into getting that amulet crafted.

I was also looking at the Enchanted Robe of the Mage (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Enchanted_Robe_of_the_Mage_(3.5e_Equipment)) .. Must I be a Mage to wear this? It says it's treated as being "unarmored". I didn't see anything saying you have to be a Mage to wear it.
This woud jack my AC way up but I'm worried about missing out on enchantments, they will be more important as I gain levels.

andromax
2013-01-31, 02:58 AM
You should regard anything on dndwikia as homebrew unless you can verify it in a wotc publication. Yeah, that's... wikia homebrew for ya.

Valdis
2013-01-31, 03:52 AM
You should regard anything on dndwikia as homebrew unless you can verify it in a wotc publication. Yeah, that's... wikia homebrew for ya.

OK, I'll stay away from that item and site... thanks for the heads up.

Gwendol
2013-01-31, 09:13 AM
I'd sell the bracers and buy a cheaper option, and spend the excess gold on other stuff.

Valdis
2013-01-31, 10:01 AM
I'd sell the bracers and buy a cheaper option, and spend the excess gold on other stuff.

What would you suggest me getting instead? Also, by the look of your avatar it looks like you are a warrior of some kind. What enchantments would you recommend me getting on the new armor, what has worked best for you?... Prefix and Suffix if possible. Thanks.

Gwendol
2013-01-31, 10:16 AM
For armor the cheapest way is stacking different sources. So, in your case that would be an enchanted chain shirt + dastana + chahar-aina + amulet of natural armor + ring of protection, or some combination of those that fit your budget. Pumping DEX is also favorable.
At one point though, AC becomes less important, and you want to have miss chances to ward off attacks instead (blur, blink, etc), or just stay out of reach or sight.

Valdis
2013-01-31, 10:54 AM
For armor the cheapest way is stacking different sources. So, in your case that would be an enchanted chain shirt + dastana + chahar-aina + amulet of natural armor + ring of protection, or some combination of those that fit your budget. Pumping DEX is also favorable.
At one point though, AC becomes less important, and you want to have miss chances to ward off attacks instead (blur, blink, etc), or just stay out of reach or sight.

What kind of bonuses should I look into, that will provide miss chances?
Do they have armor with the blink, blur enchantments? Not sure about how to go about this.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-31, 11:00 AM
An enchanted shield/armor provide stacking bonuses. Natural armor enhancement, deflection, ect. Getting smaller is also nice if you can pull it off. Dex boosts help as well. A +1 defending weapon mixed with greater magic weapon can be a very cheep def buff when added to a chain greater magic weapon party buff (you will have left over targets as you get to hit CL targets).

Blur is a great miss chance. Get smoking armor spikes if you don't mind a light before dinner cheese. Greater invisibility is also very nice as it keeps you both with full concealment and out of line of sight.

Valdis
2013-01-31, 12:38 PM
An enchanted shield/armor provide stacking bonuses. Natural armor enhancement, deflection, ect. Getting smaller is also nice if you can pull it off. Dex boosts help as well. A +1 defending weapon mixed with greater magic weapon can be a very cheep def buff when added to a chain greater magic weapon party buff (you will have left over targets as you get to hit CL targets).

Blur is a great miss chance. Get smoking armor spikes if you don't mind a light before dinner cheese. Greater invisibility is also very nice as it keeps you both with full concealment and out of line of sight.

I remember reading something a few weeks about getting the +1 defending on all weapons.. sword, armor spikes, shield spikes.. adds +3 AC right there.

How well does displacement work compared to Blur?
I'm also going to look into Augment Crystals.. see what they have there.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-31, 01:00 PM
A defending weapon lets you trade it's enhancement bonus for AC. Now, multiple weapons don't stack this benefit due to stacking rules, but a +1 defending, smoking armor /shield spikes grant concealment and +1 AC that becomes +5 ac when hit with CL20 greater magic weapon.

This is a +3 equivelent item (check this I, I think smoking is a +1), so 18000gp. Not cheep, but the best +5 untyped armor bonus you can get, and you get a miss chance on top of that.

Spuddles
2013-01-31, 04:04 PM
In the long run, getting defending on everything and a chained greater magic weapon will probably give you the highest AC.

A +1 braid blade, +1 shield spike, +1 armor spike, +1 mace, +1 boot knife with GMW and defending nets you +25 armor for the price of 40k and a metamagic rod of chain spell. Throw in full plate, animated tower shield, and the rokugan armor, all with a chained magic vestment, and that is another 34 AC for about 11k.

You are definitely going to want to get a bead of karma and a night stick if you are using DMM: persist. A bead of karma is awesome even if you aren't for casting buffs that last all day.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-31, 04:19 PM
Mind the stacking rules. Bonuses from the same source do not stack. Multiple bonuses from defending enchantments do not stack.

Spuddles
2013-01-31, 04:29 PM
Mind the stacking rules. Bonuses from the same source do not stack. Multiple bonuses from defending enchantments do not stack.

They explicitly stack with all others. Specific trumps general. Though I suppose that only works for defending swords, as the description says sword and not weapon.

Valdis
2013-02-01, 04:11 AM
They explicitly stack with all others. Specific trumps general. Though I suppose that only works for defending swords, as the description says sword and not weapon.

So does this work or not? I've done some searching and most DM's say it does NOT stack.
If that's the case, we should throw it out the window. ... Back to square 1. :smallfrown:

Gwendol
2013-02-01, 04:20 AM
Why so, you should still trade the bracers for the plethora of different armor parts?

Valdis
2013-02-01, 12:08 PM
Why so, you should still trade the bracers for the plethora of different armor parts?

Right now I have 28 AC with the bracers and monks belt... I would like to get more AC then that if I'm going to sell the bracers.

From what I've been reading I need to stay away from the traditional "Full Plate" armor and go with something lighter?

I was looking in the Oriental Adventures, where most of the suggestions have come from and found:

Leather scale, it gives a +3 AC bonus and if I can pump my Dex (22) I can add up to an additional +6 AC.

Padded Armor gives +1 AC and up to an additional +8 if my Dex is (26).

Full Plate is +8 with a max Dex bonus of +1.

Right now, I would get the most benefit out of the Full Plate... but I think going with the lighter armor will be the best option.

As a Cleric my Reflex Saves are horrible... Pumping Dex would allow me to not only improve my AC but will also improve my Reflex Saves.
Keep in mind that I'm going to be a Lich in 9 more levels... what armor enchantments would benefit a Lich the most? Any suggestions?

Spuddles
2013-02-01, 05:40 PM
It's too bad you're evil. If you were good, you could just cast a spell that gives you +8 AC and a -4 penalty to melee attackers.

Since you are going to be a lich, soulfire & heavy fort aren't really necessary for you to wear, as you have type based immunity to negative energy effects and precision damage. Which means armor isn't that important.

If you're going to houserule that multiple defending weapons don't stack (which is fairly reasonable a house rule), then monk belt + bracers armor would be the way to go IF you can get your dex really high. And you can, by persisting divine agility. SpC, +10 enhancement bonus to dex. I think stacking rokugan crap + animated tower shield + full plate and chaining a magic vestment on them would be WAY cheaper, leaving more room for better stuff, but having a high touch AC can be very worth it, esp at high levels.

Gwendol
2013-02-01, 06:07 PM
Chain shirt +1 is +5 AC, the dastana and chahar-aina add another +2 each, which gets you up to +9, and still giving you room to pump up your DEX. It is both better and cheaper than the bracers.

Valdis
2013-02-01, 06:09 PM
It's too bad you're evil. If you were good, you could just cast a spell that gives you +8 AC and a -4 penalty to melee attackers.

Since you are going to be a lich, soulfire & heavy fort aren't really necessary for you to wear, as you have type based immunity to negative energy effects and precision damage. Which means armor isn't that important.

If you're going to houserule that multiple defending weapons don't stack (which is fairly reasonable a house rule), then monk belt + bracers armor would be the way to go IF you can get your dex really high. And you can, by persisting divine agility. SpC, +10 enhancement bonus to dex. I think stacking rokugan crap + animated tower shield + full plate and chaining a magic vestment on them would be WAY cheaper, leaving more room for better stuff, but having a high touch AC can be very worth it, esp at high levels.

I'm reading an example of a Demillich, specifically looking at his AC and what items he has to get him there.

Armor Class:
51 (+4 size, +3 Dex, +5 natural armor, +8 bracers of armor, +2 ring of protection, +21 insight), touch 38, flat-footed 48

He has a +21 insight bonus... how did he get that? How do I get that?

I'm looking here (http://www.charles-reace.com/Hobbies/DnD_Monster_DB/index.php?id=16)
Is this an actual Demilich or did the guy just make this stuff up?

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-01, 06:31 PM
Part of the demlich unfortunately, not something you can just get without epic magic.

Valdis
2013-02-01, 08:04 PM
Part of the demlich unfortunately, not something you can just get without epic magic.

I'll be a Dry Lich at level 21, I'll be looking at epic magic around that point. This is something I'll look into then.

If I'm going to be getting a +1 Defending sword... Is the Defending part of the sword the prefix or suffix? +1 Sword of Defense or +1 Defending Sword of XXX.?

This is what I've considered buying: ($4,200 total)
Chain Shirt +2 = 6AC = 1AC from Dex (Max +4 from Dex mod)
Dastana +1AC
Chahar-aina +1AC ... for a total of 10 + 8 + 1(dex) + 3(ring of prot +3) = 22AC.

That's not very good at all, unfortunatly, when compared to the Bracers and Monks Belt (28 total AC)... though the price difference is huge.
Maybe there's another way.... adding natural armor and a better ring of protection will help.

Right now I have 49K... If I sell the bracers I'll have 98K so I do have some $$ to work with.

Though I must add that I'm going to be making a cohort here soon. I'm thinking either a Mystic Theurge, Incantatrix, Wizard or Archivist. What you think would work best with my Lich?
If you're gonna be my Liches cohort you better be a bad mofo... point is, I'm thinking about keeping the Bracers +7 for my cohort.

Chain shirt +1 is +5 AC, the dastana and chahar-aina add another +2 each, which gets you up to +9, and still giving you room to pump up your DEX. It is both better and cheaper than the bracers.
How would I have gotten +2 each from the dastana and Chahar-aina? You didn't mention buying +1 versions of them (though from what I've read, you can't buy +1 versions of them because the bonus would not stack with the Chain Shirt +2)

Gwendol
2013-02-02, 02:12 AM
Yes you can: they both add shield bonus and both explicitly stack with each other. With a mithral chain shirt you can add even more dex. On top of that add natural armor and deflection bonus from a ring. Now you'll have some AC.

Valdis
2013-02-02, 02:20 AM
Yes you can: they both add shield bonus and both explicitly stack with each other. With a mithral chain shirt you can add even more dex. On top of that add natural armor and deflection bonus from a ring. Now you'll have some AC.

So say I get a dastana +2 and a Chahar-aina +2
They would both be +3, with the +2 enchantment
Then you say they stack... so +6 total from those to items, plus +6ac from the Chain shirt, +1 from dex, +3 from ring of protection + 5 from the amulet of natural armor I just bought = 10+6+6+1+3+5= 31AC total..

Then I can also add a shield to that... correct?

andromax
2013-02-02, 02:45 AM
No, magical Charhar-aina (ARMOR bonus that stacks with leather, padded, and chain shirt) and Dastana (SHIELD bonus that stacks with leather, padded and chain shirt) bonuses are both enhancement bonuses, and would not stack with any other enhancement bonus. The only bonus that stacks is the base, mundane of +1 each. The combo will offer you a +2 max. This is assuming that your Mithril Chain Shirt (the optimal choice of armor for this combo) is already a +1, and that you already have a +1 Mithril Buckler or better.

However, if your DM allows it, you can put shield and armor enhancements on them respectively.

Valdis
2013-02-02, 02:50 AM
No, magical Charhar-aina (ARMOR bonus that stacks with leather, padded, and chain shirt) and Dastana (SHIELD bonus that stacks with leather, padded and chain shirt) bonuses are both enhancement bonuses, and would not stack with any other enhancement bonus. The only bonus that stacks is the base, mundane of +1 each. The combo will offer you a +2 max.

However, if your DM allows it, you can put shield and armor enhancements on them respectively.

That's how I understood it. I found a thread on a forum where they went over this and they said the same thing you just did.

So I have 27AC now.. I ended up buying that amulet we were talking about... +5 natural armor and +4 Wisdom.

I have a +2 Mithril Chain Shirt and no shield yet. Thinking about going with a Mithril Tower Shield... since it does allow you to use a Dex bonus.

Siosilvar
2013-02-02, 02:57 AM
If I'm going to be getting a +1 Defending sword... Is the Defending part of the sword the prefix or suffix? +1 Sword of Defense or +1 Defending Sword of XXX.?

It's not Diablo; there's no such distinction. You can have a +1 Defending Flaming Shock Keen Vorpal Longsword if you like as long as you can afford it. Convention is that they're all named before the weapon itself to keep them all together.

Valdis
2013-02-02, 02:59 AM
It's not Diablo; there's no such distinction. You can have a +1 Defending Flaming Shock Keen Vorpal Longsword if you like as long as you can afford it. Convention is that they're all named before the weapon itself to keep them all together.

Groovy.. good to know I'm not stuck with only 2 enhancements

Valdis
2013-02-03, 02:33 AM
It's been almost 24 hours since my last post in this thread and I don't want this thread to die... sorry if I'm breaking any rules, it's not my intention.

So far we have the domains and armor figured out. My next question is feats.
I'm going to enter the Walker in the Wastes PrC, so I'll be a Dry Lich in 9 more levels.

Here are my current Feats, I've never played a Cleric past 8th level and it was nothing near optimized.
Any suggestions on what feats I should add?
Is there a Divine feat that is similar to the arcane feat "Maximize Spell"?
Any and all advice is appreciated. If I get the Alternate Spell Source feat, can I then get Maximize? I would like to be able to cure/inflict (and everything else) at max.

I'll need the Heat Endurance feat to enter the Walker PrC, so I know that will be in the list somewhere.

Feats:
Persistent Spell (1st)
DMM Persist (1st, Human)
Corpse Crafter (Never Used, can be changed)
3rd level - NONE or keep Corpse Crafter
6th level - NONE
9th level - NONE
12th level - NONE, will be level 12 very soon

Spuddles
2013-02-03, 05:12 AM
Downgrade your natural armor to +4 and upgrade your wisdom to +6. Also buy a night stick from libris mortis. Technically those guys stack. I would limit it to 1, though.

All feats should be spent on extra turning.

andromax
2013-02-03, 05:33 AM
Is there a Divine feat that is similar to the arcane feat "Maximize Spell"?

Maximize Spell is not restricted to arcane magic, it works for both.

I really love the feat Divine Defiance. It can really work great to shut down enemy casters. Nothing like throwing a wrench in the DMs plans to cast nasty spells at you.

Valdis
2013-02-03, 04:03 PM
Thank you both for the suggestions..

1st - Persistent Spell (1st)
1st - DMM Persist (1st, Human)
3rd - Heat Resistance
6th level - Extra Turning
9th level - Extra Turning
12th level - Practiced Spellcaster

I'll add more Extra Turning later (I currently have 17 turn attempts per day so I can persist 2 spells.) At level 15 I'll get extra turning again so I'll be able to persist 3 spells, without help from Night Sticks.
I have the Lust Domain - Granted Power: Once per day as a free action, you gain an enhancement bonus to Charisma equal to your cleric level. The power lasts for 1 round.

Divine Defiance looks interesting, though I'm not totally sure how it works. Could someone explain it to me?

Also, natural armor has been changed to +4 and wisdom has been changed to +6.. only cost 2K to make the change.

Weapons!!
I would like to carry a sword, a mace is kinda boring.
What are some good enchantments to put on a sword?
I was thinking Keen for sure, is there anything I can add to Keen to create a larger threat range?
I like the Cursespewing enchantment, though it's only DC 15.. booo!
Any thoughts on Screaming, Thundering, Ghost Touch ect.. Defending looks good

Just some general ideas or combos that work well together.

Gwendol
2013-02-05, 07:17 AM
No, magical Charhar-aina (ARMOR bonus that stacks with leather, padded, and chain shirt) and Dastana (SHIELD bonus that stacks with leather, padded and chain shirt) bonuses are both enhancement bonuses, and would not stack with any other enhancement bonus. The only bonus that stacks is the base, mundane of +1 each. The combo will offer you a +2 max. This is assuming that your Mithril Chain Shirt (the optimal choice of armor for this combo) is already a +1, and that you already have a +1 Mithril Buckler or better.

They are not enhancement bonuses, they are armor and shield AC that explicitly stack with specific armor. Hence, they can be separately enhanced, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Gwendol
2013-02-05, 07:20 AM
As for weapons, just call forth an Ice Axe (spell). You hit against touch and can just power attack away wielding it 2-handed.

andromax
2013-02-05, 07:46 AM
They are not enhancement bonuses, they are armor and shield AC that explicitly stack with specific armor. Hence, they can be separately enhanced, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Read what you quoted again, more carefully.

Gwendol
2013-02-05, 12:23 PM
Please support your statement, because I don't see it.

andromax
2013-02-05, 02:43 PM
I'm saying that magical enhancement bonuses to armor, and magical enhancement bonuses to shields don't stack with other magical enhancement bonuses to armor or shields.

Here's the relevant rule.

Enhancement Bonus

An enhancement bonus represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of armor or natural armor, or the effectiveness of a weapon, or a general bonus to an ability score. Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies. Since enhancement bonuses to armor or natural armor effectively increase the armor or natural armor's bonus to AC, they don't apply against touch attacks.

Bolded the important part. I think what you may be failing to understand is that once you magically enhance a Dastana it is not giving you a +2 shield bonus. It's giving you a +1 Shield bonus and a +1 enhancement to shield bonus.

OP:

Weapons!!
I was thinking Keen for sure.....
Just some general ideas or combos that work well together.
Keens is actually pretty terrible unless you have a high threat range weapon and power attack a lot.. even then UMD rhinos rush wand in a wand chamber works on more stuff.

Check out Divine Wrath +1 property in the MiC.. it's cool for paladins/clerics vs undead. It's tough to beat +1d6 acid damage, then spend the 3k to get a 1d6 acid damage crystal in there too. If you have a good CHA score add the Sudden Stunning from DMGII. It's totally broken at 2k, but you'll probably atleast be able to use it once before the DM nerfs it or strips it off your weapon.

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-05, 02:45 PM
Maximize spell does nothing for lost CL. What you want is practiced spellcaster to fill in those three lost CL.

Gwendol
2013-02-05, 03:14 PM
The bolded part refers to multiple enhancements on the same object. These are different objects, hence the argument can be made that they stack. Especially in this case since those explicitly do stack with other shield resp armor bonuses.

Agree that keen is a bit meh. Valorous is nicer.

Spuddles
2013-02-05, 03:34 PM
The bolded part refers to multiple enhancements on the same object. These are different objects, hence the argument can be made that they stack. Especially in this case since those explicitly do stack with other shield resp armor bonuses.

Agree that keen is a bit meh. Valorous is nicer.

A brief googling on the subject finds a thread discussing an errata/clarification that the enhancement bonuses on rokugan crap doesn't stack with armor and shield enhancement bonuses, but you can spread out, say, soulfire, heavy fort, and other sweet enchantments.

Valdis
2013-02-05, 07:07 PM
Maximize spell does nothing for lost CL. What you want is practiced spellcaster to fill in those three lost CL.

OK, thanks for that suggestion. I could always just persist Comsumptive Field, but don't want to rely or abuse that combo.

I just looked up Practiced Spellcaster and that's exactly what I needed. Thank you!

Keens is actually pretty terrible unless you have a high threat range weapon and power attack a lot.. even then UMD rhinos rush wand in a wand chamber works on more stuff.

Check out Divine Wrath +1 property in the MiC.. it's cool for paladins/clerics vs undead. It's tough to beat +1d6 acid damage, then spend the 3k to get a 1d6 acid damage crystal in there too. If you have a good CHA score add the Sudden Stunning from DMGII. It's totally broken at 2k, but you'll probably atleast be able to use it once before the DM nerfs it or strips it off your weapon.

I will check that out also. I'll be using a normal longsword that has a threat range of 19-20, Keen says it doubles the threat range to 17-20.

I'll check on Divine Wrath, the augment crystals, sudden stunning and Valorous.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

I think I'll have a nice well rounded character once I get all this situated.

Now I'm actually going to play the game for a while and come back when I have more questions... probably once I get loser to becoming the Dry Lich.

Gwendol
2013-02-05, 10:54 PM
Spuddles: I think that what you want to say is that J. Wyatt updated the dastana etc rulings in his dragon 318 article to state that the enhancement bonuses don't stack. So it comes down to what sources are included at the table.

Valdis
2013-02-06, 12:32 AM
Question about the valorous enchantement..
I looked it up in a google search and it said: A valorous weapon allows its wielder to make powerful charge attacks. When used in a charge, the valorous weapon deals double damage....

As far as making a "charge" do i need a feat to do that.. or do I just say "I charge" and then use the ability?

andromax
2013-02-06, 12:46 AM
As far as making a "charge" do i need a feat to do that.. or do I just say "I charge" and then use the ability?

Don't over think it :)

Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action. However, it carries tight restrictions on how you can move.

Rules regarding Charging (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm).

P.S. It stacks with Rhino's Rush for triple damage.. but this is entering the realm of Uber Charger. Tread lightly.

Valdis
2013-02-06, 12:52 AM
Don't over think it :)

Rules regarding Charging (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm).

P.S. It stacks with Rhino's Rush for triple damage.. but this is entering the realm of Uber Charger. Tread lightly.

:) I always over think stuff.. lol. I just don't want to break the rules.

Rhino's Rush + Valorous + Persisted Divine Power = I Win!!

I think I'll get the Valorous enhancement though, looks really nice... mix that with sudden stunning :smallsmile:

I'm also liking the Vampiric enhancement, would be nice to heal as I kill :smallbiggrin:
Question about that is... when I turn undead (Dry Lich) can that be changed to negative energy or would I then actually be damaging myself instead of healing myself?

andromax
2013-02-06, 12:58 AM
.. I just don't want to break the rules.

Rhino's Rush + Valorous + Persisted Divine Power = I Win!!...

And this is why we are restricted to tier 3 classes and below in our campaigns. :smalltongue:

I'm also liking the Vampiric enhancement, would be nice to heal as I kill :smallbiggrin:

You're getting dandwiki.com mixed up with RAW again aren't you?

Valdis
2013-02-06, 01:06 AM
You're getting dandwiki.com mixed up with RAW again aren't you?

I don't think so.. I found Vampiric in MiC page 45
BTW what does RAW stand for?? I see it everywhere and have no idea what it means

andromax
2013-02-06, 01:14 AM
I don't think so.. I found Vampiric in MiC page 45
BTW what does RAW stand for?? I see it everywhere and have no idea what it means

Ahh, hrmm, missed that. That seems pretty lousy for a +2. The HP are negligible. If you could cast vampiric touch (domains, feats etc)you'd be much better off with Bloodstone, the next enhancement down.

Valdis
2013-02-06, 01:21 AM
Ahh, hrmm, missed that. That seems pretty lousy for a +2. The HP are negligible. If you could cast vampiric touch (domains, feats etc)you'd be much better off with Bloodstone, the next enhancement down.

Hmmm.. I do have the Envy Domain and Vampiric Touch is the 4th level spell from that domain. The only downside I can see to that is I could only use it once per day as opposed to constantly.

Vampiric weapons would deal 1d6 per hit constantly
Bloodstone with Vamp Touch would deal 6d6 (since I'm 12th level), only used once a day

andromax
2013-02-06, 01:30 AM
So there's an ACF in the PH 2, page 37 that lets you trade spontaneously casting cure spells for the ability to spontaneously cast spells from a domain of your choice. (quite a bit more versatility here)

So you could spontaneously cast any spell from the Envy domain, in lieu of cure spells. And since you can deal damage and heal with vampiric touch.. and it's automatically empowered with your sword there.. kind of a no brainer :smalltongue:

Valdis
2013-02-06, 01:48 AM
So there's an ACF in the PH 2, page 37 that lets you trade spontaneously casting cure spells for the ability to spontaneously cast spells from a domain of your choice. (quite a bit more versatility here)

So you could spontaneously cast any spell from the Envy domain, in lieu of cure spells. And since you can deal damage and heal with vampiric touch.. and it's automatically empowered with your sword there.. kind of a no brainer :smalltongue:

See, that's why I ask so many questions :smallbiggrin:

So I can give up a 4th level spell to recast vamp touch on my weapon.
There's a part in there that I want to get clear, it says: Your choice is permanent unless and alignment change, deity change.... leaves you incapable of accessing that domain.

So that means that not only can I do this with Vamp Touch, but I can do the same with any spell (as long as I can cast that level of spell ) from the Envy domain..
Disguise Self, Ray of Enfeeblement, Touch of Idiocy, Vamp Touch and Crushing Despair are the spells I currently have access to. So I'll be able to give up a slot (of equal or greater level) to cast any of those spells. ?

Also since it's empowered, it will be 9d6 instead of 6d6. (max 10d6)

andromax
2013-02-06, 03:32 AM
So that means that not only can I do this with Vamp Touch, but I can do the same with any spell (as long as I can cast that level of spell ) from the Envy domain..
Disguise Self, Ray of Enfeeblement, Touch of Idiocy, Vamp Touch and Crushing Despair are the spells I currently have access to. So I'll be able to give up a slot (of equal or greater level) to cast any of those spells. ? Yep :)

Also since it's empowered, it will be 9d6 instead of 6d6. (max 10d6)
Yes and no.
It will do 9d6, because that's 150% of 6d6. You could still empower a CL20 - 10d6 Vampiric Touch to do 15d6, and by virtue the Bloodstone weapon would do that automatically.

Spuddles
2013-02-06, 09:48 AM
Spuddles: I think that what you want to say is that J. Wyatt updated the dastana etc rulings in his dragon 318 article to state that the enhancement bonuses don't stack. So it comes down to what sources are included at the table.

Ah yes, thank you for digging that up. Was curious where the ruling was ultimately coming from.

Gwendol
2013-02-06, 01:17 PM
No problem, good to have it sorted out.

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-06, 02:26 PM
ALso the Substitute Domain spell can be used to switch out the envy domain for another domain, allowing you to switch out the spells you cast spontaneously when you need something off another domain casting list, even one you don't have currently:smallbiggrin:.

andromax
2013-02-06, 03:42 PM
And to add on to that.. switch out to the Magic domain during downtime, which lets you scribe scrolls.. and make a few scrolls to stick in your Heward's that you might find handy that you don't usually prepare, then switch back to whatever!

Valdis
2013-02-07, 04:25 AM
I need help trying to figure out how much my new sword will cost.
I'm looking at gettting a Valorous, Bloodstone, Defending, Sudden Stun Longsword +1, +2, +3 or +4.. depending on price.

Valorous = +1 bonus
Bloodstone = +1 bonus
Defending = +1 bonus
Sudden Stun = 2K

How do I figure out the price?

Thanks

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-07, 05:56 AM
Base sword cost - x
Masterwork - 300gp
+4(+1 and 3 extras) enhancements -32,000gp
Sudden stunning - 2000

So
34,300gp plus the cost of the base weapon.

Valdis
2013-02-07, 02:03 PM
Base sword cost - x
Masterwork - 300gp
+4(+1 and 3 extras) enhancements -32,000gp
Sudden stunning - 2000

So
34,300gp plus the cost of the base weapon.

And that's for a +1? How do I figure price for a +2 or +3 and so on? I just need a formula and I'll be set.

I could add those enhancements to my +3 heavy mace for less $$, though I'm not sure how much less.

Lets see if I have this right.. the cost to add those enchantments to my existing +3 mace would be : 20K total ?
+3 bonus (squared) x 2,000 = 18K, then 2K for sudden stunning.

I already have a +3 heavy mace... it may be better for me to stick with that, the main reason why I wanted to move to a sword was for the increased critical threat range.

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-07, 02:51 PM
Magic weapons cost exponentialy based on the total degree of enchantment. A weapon must have a base of +1 before adding other enchantments. You want three +1 additions, so +4 total.

See the cost line of the weapons table.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm