PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help -Magus vs. Golems and Antimagic Fields

Addi
2013-01-30, 04:45 AM
Dear Playgrounders,

I'm going to attend a Pathfinder oneshot adventure located in the Mana Wastes south of Nex. That means, there are a lot of possibilities for my dm to throw Dead Magic Zones(or Antimagic Fields) at us. He most likely will use golems and similar stuff, as well as those golems within Antimagic Fields.

The Group consists of three gish characters (including my Magus), one Sorcerer and one Fighter. Everyone is at Level 15 in the beginning of the adventure.

I will play a dwarven Bladebound Magus with adamantine dwarven double axe and a focus on shocking grasp.

So my questions are:

a) What options do you know against golems aside from the obvious adamantine Axe and Conjuration (Creation) spells with instantaneous duration?

b) What options do I/ does any character have within an Antimagic Field or a Dead Magic Zone against golems as well as any other combat-heavy opponents? (Feats; Skills; Items; Arcanas; even Spells, if possible)

ahenobarbi
2013-01-30, 05:25 AM
There is a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10104) for that.

Addi
2013-01-30, 05:27 AM
Thanks a lot!
I didn't know this one and my google-fu seems not to be high enough.

Edit: I just skimmed the text, but there seems to be no specific Pathfinder material in there. The spells mentioned in the first paragraph of course work in a limited way, but I mentioned those already.

Stome
2013-01-30, 05:37 AM
While its not helpful for anti-magic zones there is an arcana called pool strike.

In general its considered weak but it is SU meaning that it is not subject to SR/spell immunity. Nor does it provoke.

Though an anti-magic field will still be a problem.

-edit- the only other advice I have is don't run the popular Dex based Magus. In the situation you are looking at the ability to two hand your weapon when you can't spell strike will be very useful. Add in some of the common feats for two handed goodness.

Addi
2013-01-30, 05:55 AM
Thanks for your input. Luckily the Magus has some of those Supernatural abilities. The normal Arcane Pool works, too.
I unintentionally coverd the second advice. As a dwarf with a heavy Axe and Armor there is no need for dexterity.

Stome
2013-01-30, 06:13 AM
Ahh so you did. Well take that as more general advice for anyone reading the thread heh.

Yeah sadly AMF just really screws with Magi as even arcane pool stops working.

So in the end while there are some good tools for spell immune foes there is little for AMF.

The best I can come up with is as I said max out what you can do with just your weapon for when you are in that punch. Kensai can help with this but it has its flaws that's for sure.

Addi
2013-01-30, 06:45 AM
Oh. EVERY Ability of the Kensai is (Ex). That might be useful with a dex-based magus. I'll keep that in mind for later.
My dwarf would be pretty easy to hit as a Kensai, though.:smallsmile:

So I guess I have to live with a 1d10+18 with Powerattack....at Level 15.

The shrinked-hat-trick in the guide posted earlier might work for a magus in an AMF, but only for retreating and preparation purposes.

So in the end while there are some good tools for spell immune foes there is little for AMF.
Do you know other methods for spell immune foes, than the mentioned conjuration spells?

Psyren
2013-01-30, 10:46 AM
Do you know other methods for spell immune foes, than the mentioned conjuration spells?

Many golems have specific weaknesses - if you or the sorcerer can use a divination or two to find out what kind are in the area, you can prepare accordingly. For instance, if you're up against flesh golems, you can use your arcane pool to add fire or cold damage to your weapon, thus causing every successful strike to Slow it and preventing it from full-attacking or chasing you effectively. You can then hang back and pelt it from range or the sorcerer can bog it down with summons.

Addi
2013-01-30, 05:22 PM
Thanks. I forgot about divinations. Combined with the versatility of the magus and all the abilities of the party members, it shouldn't be too difficult to finish most of the golems.

Addi
2013-01-31, 07:28 AM
One last additional Question:
Is it possible that the Black Blade of the Bladebound Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/bladebound) is just partially subject to an AMF?

The Ability "Black Blade" is (Ex) and the Intelligent Item (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/intelligent-items) rules state, that they should be treated as constructs.
Obviously every (Su) and (Sp) abilities are out.

What are your thoughts on this?

Psyren
2013-01-31, 10:00 AM
How much it is subject depends on your DM - it's a gray area. Certainly it should keep its intelligence, senses, and ability to read/understand language in an AMF. However, most of its abilities to actually communicate are Su. It should probably keep its empathy though, so it can at least send feelings of encouragement (or discouragement) to its owner while in an AMF or dead magic area.

So I would rule the following for a Black Blade (or any other II) in an AMF/ DMZ:
- All SLAs and Su abilities of the blade are suppressed.
- It retains its Ego, including possible conflicts (e.g. it might still be able to refuse to strike a foe.)
- It loses all enhancement bonuses, becoming masterwork for the duration.
- It can hear and see normally within 30 feet.
- It can understand speech and writing in any language it knows.
- It can communicate with its owner only through empathy - primarily, feelings of "yes, do that" or "no, don't do that!" So you could use it as a mini-Augury, guided of course by the item's own worldview and desires.

In short, I would let it keep anything that could be based solely on being a construct, and lose all the things related more to it being a magic item.