PDA

View Full Version : Imbuing a kensai's weapon

Kol Korran
2013-01-30, 12:25 PM
Hi there. In a game i'm playing in I'll soon take the Kensai PrC. however, i'm poor at optimizing (as you'll undoubtedly see in a moment), so I would love the playground's help, pretty please? :smallbiggrin:

in what order should I take weapon enchantments, and which ones?
a few things to consider:
1) I'll be the only martial character in the group. there will be a beguiler, a healing and buffing focused favored soul and... some character I don't know yet, but which isn't a melee character.
2) The first kensai level will be the 9th level. so far the character is a human Ftr 4/ Drn Shmn 1/ Brb 1/ Psy Wa 2 (for force screen and possibly expansion)... yeah all over the place. HOWEVER, by our house rules the character has access to maneuver and stances, in a similar (but not quite) the way a war blade does. She got mostly stone dragon and iron heart abilities.
3) weapon of choice is a heavy flail. cannot be changed.
4) Very low wealth, and magic items are really, really scarce. that is the type of campaign we chose to play.(which makes the kensai weapon's quite unique). don't count on the character having more than 2nd level potions and similar on her.
5) no need to have the weapon enchanted as a +1 before adding other enchantments. however, at least an actual +1 enchantment is needed to bypass DR/ magic.
6) most enemies so far have been humanoid-ish in form (including giants, some fey) or animals. this may change, as I think we're starting to move towards the supernatural.

hhhhhmmmmm, this is all I can think of so far. your thoughts? (despite weird suboptimized build and situation?) thanks in advance,
Kol.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-30, 12:46 PM
Sounds like you should take at least 2 of those fighter levels and put them in psywar. As is you have next to zero PP to use on abilities. A single level in dragon shamin is also best reduced to simply the draconic aura feat. So silverbrow human fighter 2 / barbarian (whirling frenzy, spirit lion totem) 1 / Psywar 5 would be better unless prerecs are getting in the way.

For kensai focus on abilities that really work in all situations. Enchantments that stack 1d6 of a type of damage play well. You can get your +1 from the favored soul. Seriously, tell him to take magic weapon/greater magic weapon. Not kidding, those are required of the party buffer. The Chain metamagic feat is also very nice for buffing and lets him hit the whole parties weapons at once.