PDA

View Full Version : Shield & Spear

SirAxealot
2013-01-30, 02:13 PM
I'm just wondering if you can make a character that effectively fights with a spear and shield, comparable to, say, an equivalent THW character, and if so how you would construct such a character.

nedz
2013-01-30, 02:32 PM
By RAW you need an animated shield.

ericgrau
2013-01-30, 02:42 PM
Not with shocktrooper around. But ignoring that I would make a rogue with throwable spears, quick draw, point blank shot, rapid shot. Probably human for the feats, or else a fighter dip. Round 1 you full attack sneak attack. Round 2 you flank, with the shield to protect you. At earlier levels you actually get more hits than two weapon fighting because the bottleneck is how long you can stay standing and your attack bonus, not your number of attacks on a full attack.

At high levels an animated shield is better, yes. Then you might THF the spear.

Ability score priority: str, dex, con, any.

It doesn't make as much sense on a fighter/barbarian/etc. because martial weapons are superior to simple weapons. Though you could wield a trident and do something similar IIRC. Or do it on a self buffing cleric.

LTwerewolf
2013-01-30, 04:36 PM
Sneak attack fighter, use a shield spike and a spear.

DonDuckie
2013-01-30, 05:53 PM
This is pathfinder specific, but I'll give it anyway.

The fighter archetype Phalanx Soldier(APG) can use a 2H spear or polearm in one hand in combination with a shield. It counts as a 1H weapon of course. At 3rd level.

There's also a quickdraw light shield coupled with quick draw(feat): you can don or stow a quickdraw shield as a free action, allowing you to use a 2H weapon during your turn, and donning your shield at the end of your turn, and stowing it away at the beginning. Your AOOs would be limited to shield bashing.

Clistenes
2013-01-30, 05:53 PM
Well, at its basic, you can use either a shortspear and a shield or a spear/longspear/pike and a buckler.

If you want to make it more complex, there are feats you can use: Shield and Pike Style allows you to use the spear and a light shield.

JaronK
2013-01-30, 06:04 PM
Shield and Pike Style is necessary, but unfortunately there's nowhere really good to go from there. Your best bet is probably a Crusader with Iron Guard's Glare and Shield Counter/Shield Block.

JaronK

javijuji
2013-01-30, 06:30 PM
I recall a feat in underdark or drow from the underdark that allowed you to throw a spear and have it ricochet to another target. There was also a "Something Fighting Style" that gave +1 hit and damage with spears.