PDA

View Full Version : Chapter One: Welcome to the Tavern

Pages : [1] 2 3

artofregicide
2013-01-30, 04:01 PM
*This thread is restricted to those who are playing in the Tavern at the End of the Universe Campaign, obviously*

Link to OOC Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14622350#post14622350

Six strangers suddenly appear, seeming to blink into existence from thin air. Their arrival is without warning, and even they are surprised to find themselves standing on the hardwood floor. Around them is a spacious tavern, almost too expansive to be real. There are dozens of long tables, four roaring hearths, a myriad of chairs and three levels of wrapping balconies above. Goblets and platters are set neatly at each place, and many hunting trophies and fine tapestries line the walls.
The walls are several hundred feet apart, and it is silent save the crackle of the fires. Three sets of double doors wrought of dark metal are set in the center of the South, East, and West walls. On the North wall is a long serving bar, sandwiched between two wide staircases leading to the next level.

Behind the counter, stand two lithe women, a human girl garbed in deep blue and of tan skin and dark hair, and an elf maiden in a dress verdant green and face wreathed in fire orange locks. The first wears simple garb, her only jewelry bronze bracelets around her wrists and a thick leather cord around her neck as a necklace. The other has a more dignified and ethereal presence, wearing a single gold earring and a jeweled brooch. Neither immediately notices your arrival.

On the second floor, near on the eastern wall, movement can be both seen and heard, a huge figure ambling on the balcony, its every step creaking heavily on the floor.

All party members appear the open center of the inn, flanked on all sides by tables but with a clear path to each of the doors an the bar counter. Each stands 10 feet apart from the others, in a hexagonal pattern. Everyone has their cohorts, gear, animal companions, and all other items either with them or beside them.

Rjanag
2013-01-31, 04:58 PM
Enrik (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=502726), Human Sorceror

One of the six strangers to appear is a tall, broad-shouldered man dressed in heavy black cloaks. Only his face is visible, and even that just barely so. A black raven is perched on his shoulder, its head bobbing near the man's ear, and a bottle half-full of dark liquid is in his hand. The scent of alcohol exudes from him.

The man stands motionless for a moment, staring dumbly, and then the bottle slips from his hands, shattering on the floor. "Who are you people?" he slurs angrily. "Which of you brought me here? Let me go!"

Movement and creaking from the balcony suddenly startle him, and he whips around to look in the direction the sound came from. Catching a glimpse of a figure there, he reaches over his shoulder and fumbles at his back, after a moment grabbing hold of the ornate crossbow strapped there and clumsily swinging it around to point it up towards the balcony.

He stares up at the balcony for a moment longer, the crossbow shaking in his hands, and then his attention seems to unfocus and he turns his head towards the raven on his shoulder. In a somewhat softer voice than before he growls, "What? How should I know where this is? You probably did this!"

PowerGamer
2013-01-31, 06:04 PM
Azoth the Eternal

Coming back to awareness from his nightly meditation, Azoth felt like something was wrong. He opened his blue, blue eyes and looked around. He found himself not his room, but in a tavern it seemed, with 5 other stranger. These others also seemed confused or upset about what was going on. Not thinking of them as a threat at this time. He took a moment to protect himself. He closes his eyes and for those who notice, there seem to be a magical armor surrounding him. Then standing up, he hears the creaking noise. He looks to the 2nd floor balcony to seem some huge figure moving. Unsure of what it is, he reaches for his crossbow What is that? Responding to the first man with the raven. "I'm Azoth. I'm not sure of how or why we are here. But lets please try to stay calm and figure this out.

Manifest Inertial Armor (4 hours)

Moonwolf727
2013-01-31, 06:06 PM
Gull Dorrian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=502752), possessed quasi-suicidal

Gull stumbled slightly, as is normal for anyone who had just been transported an indeterminate distance across space, and quite possibly time, into a not-so-well lit room while standing up. Disorientating is but one word.

Well it was that and Gull just wasn't very well built for someone in their supposed prime, he was skinnier than normal and despite his travels lacked anything that could be described as a surplus of muscle underneath his orange-and-green shirt.

As with most people who find themselves in strange places; Gull took a moment to take stock of his rather confusing surroundings. It was dimly lit, smelled rather funny even without the obviously drunk man babbling to a bird perched on his shoulder, had three massive iron doors affixed to the walls and seemed to wind ever upwards in a twisty maze of balconies and not-so-stationary staircases.

Gull was understandably rather upset about his predicament. There were also knives laid out at the tables. He really shouldn't be near knives at a time like this.

A few moments later Gull was sitting patiently on his hands and humming a vague tune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKOeX70ODUw) to himself, all the while trying to figure out what that strange scent in the air was.

Gildedragon
2013-01-31, 11:46 PM
Dr. Liam C. Morgan:The Scholar

The thick Isverhope fog had vanished quite suddenly, become pillars, wood, and roaring fire. A less rational man would have assumed sleep or drugs, but the green-eyed professor knew his dreamscapes and hallucinations well; a man that explored the nature of the esoteric had to be. The absence of strange and violent geometries gave this away as a real and waking moment. Furthermore, who would want to poison a curator whose rivalries and vendettas were entirely and exclusively academic in nature? The breadth of the room, the insufficiency of pillars, and, above all, the rambling crow-shouldered drunk gave the scene a surreal feel, but the scholar had made up his mind. As improbable as was, somehow with his years of trying to find it hiding somewhere in the world, Magic had happened.

Liam smiles, intrigued by his situation. Fascinating he states, wondering if the gold-bound charm in his collection would work here. It gave him relief his bag, in which he had the miscellaneous items that were to be accessioned, had come along; it was only sensible to have weapons in a strange land.
He looks at the five around him. Azoth? Glad to hear someone keeping their wits about themselves. Dr. Morgan, at your pleasure. he stretches out his hand cordially. As odd as it may sound, I believe there is magic afoot. he says, stressing the wondrous element.

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-01, 09:29 PM
Lindara Halosphere:Lesser Aasimar Cleric/Paladin

As the walls and pillars of the temples training grounds fade they are replaced with the standard wooden walls of a simple tavern. Lindara feels a slight pain in her head from, most likely, what ever kind of magic conjured her to this tavern. She hears a creaking sound and when she looks to the source she sees that it comes from a big figure on the upstairs balcony.

Azoth, Dr. Morgan, its a pleasure to meet you, the name's Lindara Halosphere. If any of you know how we got here or why we are here please inform me. Dr. Morgan, I agree that there is some kind of magic afoot.

Eiko
2013-02-02, 01:28 PM
Markus Kyre, Man of Secrets

Markus knelt in quiet prayer in the hollows of a quiet library, moonlight glinting softly off metal and blood marring a slight tinge on the carpet. Soon he would make his exit, but first a quiet word of thanks to his patron for surviving her trial. Illusion wrapped round him, his form shifting and warping into the simple robes of the librarian still and cooling beside him he closed his eyes and uttered in her name. When his eyes opened soft carpet had been replaced by cold stone, he found himself kneeling next to a table in some monumental tavern. Taking a moment to take in his surroundings he maintains his kneeling posture and listens to his new companions. It seemed they were in the dark as much as he was.

Climbing slowly with exaggerated awkwardness to his feet he pulled down a hood to reveal a haggard and age worn face, framed by a thinning crop of silver hair and a beard neatly tied by a simple leather weave. His garb as it appeared was a simple sack robe, tied with rope at the hip and a small but serviceable leather pack hanging from his back. He smiled in an applogetic manner and said with a thick Thayan accent,

"I'm afraid I know as little about this as any of you. I could scarely believe this could have happened without magic, so you have something there lad."

artofregicide
2013-02-02, 05:59 PM
Note: Feel free to make spot checks, listen checks, sense motive, or any other skill checks you'd like to gather more information.
The two girls notice the newcomers, the angry shouts of the drunken man demanding their attention. The human in blue whispers to the elf in green, and then she addresses the group as a whole.

"Welcome to the Tavern. The Barman is coming. Please wait here, a moment, until he arrives. All will be explained. I can get you drinks, if you want..."

With that, the elf girl hurries from behind the bar counter, and up the stairwell behind. The human stands behind the bar, smiling but somewhat tense. It seems that she doesn't know what to expect, and is nervous. In particular, she watches the man with the raven.

The shape above continues it's march towards the stair well, but continues to be obscured. You from it's heavy breath, you can tell it is a alive, and it sounds as though it drags something long and heavy behind it.

Rjanag
2013-02-02, 06:30 PM
Enrik (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=502726), Human Sorceror

Enrik hears' the others responses and realizes they seem to know no more than he does--apparently they weren't responsible for bringing him here. This knowledge does not calm his nerves, though, as it merely means he has even less an idea of where he is or how to leave.

At the barmaid's voice he whirls around, probably causing several of the other newcomers to duck as his crossbow passes by them. You brought me here?, he calls.

He lowers his crossbow and, with a jolt, storms over towards the bar; his movement is so sudden and uncoordinated that the raven almost tumbles off his shoulder, and has to flap its wings to maintain its perch. The papery sound echoes in the vast room. Once he lurches his way to the bar, he slams his fist down on the wood and leans in close to the human woman. Tell me what this place is! Why did you bring me here? Tell me, before I beat it out of you! The last sentence is punctuated by a loud "caw" from the raven.

Intimidate check: roll is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14640164#post14640164)
(+5 from CHA, +3 from ranks, +2 from synergy with Bluff)

Moonwolf727
2013-02-02, 07:43 PM
Gull Dorrian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=502752), Possessed quasi-suicidal

Gull's ears prick up a little at the copious mention of magic and wondering at the nature of their arrival, taking a second or two to chime in 'I tried to learn magic once, I wasn't very good at it though.' The latter half of his statement is unusually cold and carries a tinge of resent.

He does not shift from the spot he has claimed on the floor nor does he rise from it instead he remains seated and twiddles his thumbs, in a metaphorical sense, while musing on why it is they are here and where "here" even is.

At the barmaid's suggestion of drinks Gull abandons his current train of thought and begins to call to her as she leaves
'I'd just like some water if it isn't any troub-.'
Sadly that particular sentence is never finished and floats away forgotten in seconds amongst the yelling and flurry of movement that accompanies the drunken,and apparently armed, man's stumbling charge towards the bar.

Gildedragon
2013-02-02, 08:03 PM
Liam Morgan

My pleasure Linda. he begins, wishing to make an acquaintance with the strangers, when Enrik's outburst stops him. My man! he calls out, walking to the drunk. He found his threats of violence repugnant and unnecessary. Stop before you do something foolish he chastises the sorcerer, putting a hand on his shoulder. Lets instead sit down and talk. I think there is a lot we can tell each other.

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-02, 08:22 PM
Lindara Halosphere: Templar of Pelor

Lindara ducks the crossbow as Enrik swings it around.
I agree, Dr. Morgan, lets try to figure this out without fighting. To the elf at the bar she says, I would like a glass of water. I believe this man, Gestures to the thin man, would like a glass of water as well. I believe the drunk shouldn't have anything but water or coffee for a while. I'll pay for it all and whatever Dr. Morgan, our other companion, and Azoth want as well. She goes to aid Enrik over to a table in a corner away from many of the other customers.
Diplomacy Check to calm Enrik down and less aggressive. Rolled Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14640742#post14640742)

Eiko
2013-02-02, 09:30 PM
Markus Kyre
Waving an arm to gesture at a nearby unoccupied table, Markus pauses to run a hand through silver hair before adressing his companions at large.

"The young lady has left to get us our explanation and getting worked up about it wont make her run any faster. How about we all take a little sit down and rest our bones while we cool our heads."

He makes his way over to said table, happy to let the others take the risk of manhandling a man he knew nothing about. The raven gave him suspicions of the man's abilities, but it would be foolish to assume. Bending down he settles onto the end of the bench leaving the rest for the others.

"I imagine we've all come from different places yes? I myself was in the library when called"

He scans a surreptitious eye over the room at large, trying to find a pattern in who was there and what they were doing.

Spot Check (If applicable) [roll0]

PowerGamer
2013-02-02, 09:48 PM
Azoth ducks as the drunk spins around. Resisting the urge to point his own crossbow at the man. This Lindara seems to have a level head and common sense. Azoth, puts away the crossbow, pulling out his walking stick. On one end of it is a purple crystal. Azoth touches it, and it's glows faintly, it clears his head and helps him concentrate. Coming back to reality he addresses Lindara. "Thank you for the offer Lady Lindara, a small loaf of bread is all for me. I agree that we should sit down and try to figure out our situation"

artofregicide
2013-02-02, 10:15 PM
The woman in blue spots the angry man as he stumbles towards the bar. She takes a defensive stance, something resembling a martial pose. As he yells at her, she responds:

"Sir, there is no need for violence. If you assault me I will be forced to retaliate. Please, everyone, calm down!"

Rolling against intimidate [roll0]

As all the commotion is happening, but before the drunk man is quite calmed, the massive figure leaps over the rail and lands with a thundering boom. What appears before you is a towering creature, covered in moss and greenery. In its hand is a long coil of rope, thick enough to tow a Galleon. It shouts in a voice that shakes the entire room. The creature brandishes the massive rope menacingly, but stands back.

"You. No. Hurt. Her! Get back!"

The girl in blue calls to the angry giant, trying to calm it.

"No Jade! Don't attack them!"

The creature remains agitated but doesn't initiate combat.

Rushing out from a door above comes a Dwarven man, hastily dressing himself in a blue satin vest and bow tie. On his back is a hefty crossbow. Behind him is the elf and her cat, and further behind is a halfing with wild golden curls. The Dwarf shouts out commandingly, less to the strangers than the creature.

"Everyone stand down!"

Markus Kyre spots the creature before it leaps, and identifies it as some sort of Troll.

Moonwolf727
2013-02-02, 10:23 PM
Gull Dorrian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=502752), possessed quasi-suicidal

'Eep.'

Since "Jade" just leaped down I assume no-one is paying attention to Gull so He's going to hide underneath any table within 15ft.

Move silently to get under the table without being noticed [roll0].
Assuming That the first roll goes well, hide check [roll1].

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-02, 10:53 PM
Lindara addresses the male dwarf, who are you and why are we here? How did we get here?

Check to notice Gull moving(If necessary)[roll0]

Gildedragon
2013-02-02, 11:49 PM
Liam

The massive creature draws Liam's curiosity. His brow furrows as he tries to discern its nature.
Knowledge Nature to identify it: [roll0] (using Collector of Stories)

Rjanag
2013-02-03, 12:01 AM

Enrik is surprised to see that the barmaid, who had looked so nervous a moment ago, is not quite as fragile as he had expected. At the same time, the other strangers around him are all urging him to back down. He glares at the barmaid for a moment longer, but then steps back away from the bar, shaking the doctor's hand off his shoulder.

After seething for a moment, he looks back at the barmaid and says, Fine. If you're not going to tell me anything, then at least get me a-- His last words are cut off by the boom of the giant creature crashing down into the room, and the sound sends him jumping into the air in surprise.

Look what you've done, you idiot!, the raven on his shoulder rasps suddenly in the common tongue, loud enough for the others to hear. Enrik swats the bird with the back of his hand, shouting, Shoo, pest, and in a noisy flurry of wings the bird leaps off his shoulder and flies up to perch on one of the lower balconies. He ducks behind a table and raises his crossbow again against the massive creature threatening him, but lowers it again when the dwarf shouts at everyone to stand down. He remains crouched behind the table as the woman newcomer, the one who had introduced herself as Linora, addresses the dwarf.

Gildedragon
2013-02-05, 01:14 PM
Liam
A troll he whispers amazed: it looked very little like the prints he'd seen, and decidedly larger than the skull the museum had suggested. Liam made a note to add "juvenile" to the catalogue's description. With his curiosity sated for the moment Liam turns to the newly arrived dwarf; not before making note in his mind to interview the troll (if possible) and to ask the drunk about his talking bird. And where here is would also be appreciated. he adds after Lindara.

PowerGamer
2013-02-05, 03:15 PM
When the commotion starts, Azoth again lifts his crossbow, this time aiming at the beast. He really doesn't like this place now... When he hears the door open and more foot steps he pivots to aim at the new comers. After hearing the dwarfs comment, he slowly lowered the crossbow, but not all the way, these people were not going to pull a fast one on him.

artofregicide
2013-02-05, 05:13 PM
Gull successfully hides underneath one of the heavy tables, his form mostly concealed by the thick wood.

Rolls for Spot checks:

Barman: [roll0]

Blue Lady: [roll1]

Troll: [roll2]

All three notice Gull go into hiding, but none of them can actually see him at the moment.

In the commotion, Lindara notices that Gull has disappeared, but is unable to locate him, though she has a general idea of where he was.

As things calm down, the Dwarf first answers the silver-haired woman.

"I am the barman. This is the Tavern... you are a long way from home, I'm afraid. I can't explain why you came here, and the how isn't much better. You have, basically, fallen through the cracks of the universe, and this is where you landed.

Liam recognizes the creature as some variant of Troll, but it lacks the claws of the traditional beast, and is significantly heavier and more adapted to a woodland habitat. One might call the creature a "Moss Troll" or "Forest Troll" though none of his research can directly pinpoint the race. It does appear far more docile, and less aggressive than the average troll, and likely is an omnivore or herbivore, instead of a voracious predator.

Seeing that the man with the crossbow has withdrawn his aggression, the Dwarf tries to reason with him.

"No one wants to hurt you, sir. But there will be no intimidation or violence in this tavern. Nothing more than an agreed upon gentleman's brawl is acceptable. There is no need for weapons here, and the only trouble you shall find is what you bring with you."

Hearing the Doctor speak, the Dwarf turns to him.

"I can't really say 'where' exactly the Tavern is. The End of the Universe is its official name, but a better description would either be beyond or perhaps underneath the Universe. Regardless, I'm no planar scientist."

When the Dwarf and his companions make their way to the counter, he offers them drinks and food.

"Bread we have, and cold water too. Ale or wine for those interested, it's the least I can do. There's no need to pay, all this on on the Tavern."

Eiko
2013-02-05, 07:39 PM
Markus Kyre
From his seat at a nearby table Markus tries his best to be anything but the focus of attention until the hostilities have died a little. From there he sidled over to the bar to join the others as the dwarf who apparently ran the place gave vague explanations.

"So it strikes me there are two important questions," he takes a moment to steady himself leaning against the counter of the bar itself. "How did we get here, and how do we get back"

He gestures slowly to the cavernous expanse of the room "As lovely as your establishment is, I had important work back home and will be required back. I imagine several of you," he nods at his companions for emphasis "are in similar circumstances."

"But since I am here you can get me water and some bread."

Rjanag
2013-02-05, 11:08 PM

"No need for weapons?" Enrik scoffs at the dwarf. "Tell that to your big animal." By the last part his voice contains more sulking than scoffing, and he slings the crossbow back onto his back.

At the barman's offer of drinks, Enrik makes his way back over to the bar. "Wine, then--the strongest you have. If that's the only thing you people are good for." He chuckles for a moment. "I fell through the bottom of a bottle and wound up here...I wonder where the next will take me." At the same time, the raven flaps back down from the balcony and, landing on the bar, squawks, "Bread!". Enrik mutters something in a tongue some of the others recognize as Infernal, the language of devils.

"Who offered you anything, you despicable @#!*%."

Gildedragon
2013-02-05, 11:31 PM
Liam
I think a more fascinating question is: why, by the infinite powers have the many faced unnameable gods, does this place look like a tavern that would be at home on Tinsmith Street. he says, looking at the rich wooden pillars, comely fittings, and homey hearths. And not like raw chaos or void or pure elemental essence. He thumps a pillar. This pillar does exist to you all, right? Oak, slender. he asks curious to see if the reality of the place was subjective.

When the bird speaks Liam turns, perplexed; it'd been a considerable time since he'd heard his native tongue spoken. Are you Old-Blooded too? he asks the drunk suddenly in the language of his ancestors; the language the old bloodlines, the aristocratic bloodlines, of Og-by-the-Hills and other villages and ancient towns spoke instinctively from birth.

kn the planes: [roll0] to know anything about a tavern like structure. Also, are there windows or covered windows?

Rjanag
2013-02-05, 11:49 PM

"'Doctor'," Enrik calls to Liam, "If you had ever touched magic you would know it's just a pile of things that want to kill you or maim you or make you suffer. The rare time you come across a piece of it that wants to give you wine and food, just count your blessings and don't question it. Look too close and you'll turn it all to sh**."

Eiko
2013-02-06, 12:24 AM
Markus Kyre
Markus fails to hide his shock as the sorcerer openly talks ill of magic, and thus by extension Mystra. What distant land could he possibly have come from that even the mistress of the weave held no sway. Or perhaps the man held no fear of her. Perhaps, as his familiar confirmed his arcane bond, he drew on darker powers besides.

"You... You speak so freely of the ills of magic, you seem a man burned by a wizards touch. You wouldn't be the first I've met, men burned by the unfeeling ambitions of mages."

Rjanag
2013-02-06, 12:47 AM

Enrik responds to Liam in the tongue of the old-blooded:
"Old-Blooded? I don't know anything about that. You mean this devil-speak? Damn bird invaded my head and put these words here."

To the old librarian's question he responds, "It was not mages, it was the magic itself. Magic hates and it burns. If you didn't know that yet... well, maybe you never did anything to earn its hate.

"Even if the magic doesn't hate you, it doesn't let anyone control it, either. Just look at this place. Even the master of the house does not know what it is." With that he turns back to the dwarf and adds, "How long have you people been here, anyway?"

Gildedragon
2013-02-06, 02:15 AM
Liam

Liam takes a seat, grinning. I don't believe I have your name, Mister. But a bird taught you? That is quite impressive I must say he chuckles as the old man seems to rebuke the other's views on magic. I have little experience with practical magic, but as to being prudent with it: I believe the ur-type of planar travel explicitly warns against eating or drinking that of the realm, lest one be trapped there.

PowerGamer
2013-02-06, 05:36 AM
Azoth stands there, listening to the conversations, trying to learn all that he can. He keeps one eye on the troll and the other on the dwarf

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-06, 05:57 PM
We should leave the fundamentals of magic for another day, today we need to focus on getting home safely. To the barman, do you have any idea of what we can do to get home?

artofregicide
2013-02-06, 06:19 PM
The barmaidens and the Dwarf get quickly to work, serving their new patrons. Those that do not want food or drink are not pressed to take it, and for the most part the orders are bread and water, the first seemingly fresh from the bakery and the other cool and refreshing.

He calls out in the general direction of the man under the table, now that the mossy giant has backed down and there seems to be no more question of violence.

"Sir, you need to hide under the table. Please come out. I promise that my friend Jade will not harm you, nor will anyone else."

Once all are situated, the Barman begins to answer the myriad of questions. It seems this is nothing new to him.

"I'm afraid that returning will not be simple, though I will assist you in that as best I can. As for how you arrived, I have said before, I don't know exactly. Newcomers simply appear in the Tavern, from time to time. And I do my best to serve them."

The barman is reluctant to hand the drunk man any strong drink.

"I'm afraid until you've proven yourself capable of self control, further drink is not a wise choice. You might do well to drink some water, it'll help the hangover."

Hearing the bird, the Barman looks at the wretch before him and comments.

"That's one unpleasant creature. One wonders why you don't just be rid of him."

Dr. Liam: Knowledge the Planes:
There was talk, some time ago, of a hidden "Tavern" which a fledgling Demon Prince vowed to find a decade or so ago. He allegedly disappeared, but could have as easily been consumed by another up and coming Prince. Yet other than rumor, there is little you know.

There are no windows of any sort in the Tavern, on any of the levels you can see, nor any natural light. All comes from torches, braziers, hearths and chandeliers.

The barman waits patiently as the strangers speak among themselves, then answers the drunk again.

"I've been here longer than I care to count. It's easy to lose track of time in the Tavern. I might say about sixty years, maybe seventy."

Hearing the doctor speak again, the Dwarf simply comments:

"I'm no scholarly man, but I don't think food and drink are the reason this place is... so difficult to leave.

Finally, the barman addresses the angelic woman's question, which seems to be at the core of all's concerns.

"Leaving this place is not easy, but should you wish to find your way, the first step is through one of those three doors."

He points to the three massive iron doors.

"I can't tell you what is beyond them, only that few that go through them ever return. I don't know what is beyond there, and you can't know until you go there yourself."

With that, the Dwarf sighs and pours himself a drink.

Rjanag
2013-02-06, 06:35 PM

"The name is Enrik," the drunk tells Liam. "Enrik the yellow coward," the raven chimes in.

Enrik seethes for a moment when the barman refuses to serve him liquor. But then, with a glance over his shoulder at the giant creature who had threatened him, he decides to hold his tongue and begrudgingly takes the water. When Liam admonishes him against partaking of the food or drink of this plane, Enrik stares right at the doctor and takes a loud gulp.

"That's one unpleasant creature. One wonders why you don't just be rid of him."

"One might say the same about your own unpleasant creature," Enrik responds to the barman. But you seem to be a man of some experience. You know how things are--we all have our little burdens."

When the barman points towards the doors, Enrik says to the other newcomers, "I suppose you busybodies can't wait to see what's on the other side? Well then... as it seems the wine at this bar is not flowing, I've little inclination not to go along."

PowerGamer
2013-02-06, 07:09 PM
Sitting down and eating his fresh bread, Azoth thinks... He turns to the dwarf and asks, "Which door is the most popular? And which door do most people return from?"

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-06, 07:11 PM
I agree with Enrik, we have no other choice but to go through one of those doors. The question is which one?

Gildedragon
2013-02-06, 08:10 PM
Liam

We do have a choice he says. Wait here, and learn more about each other before we rush past any brazen gates. Few ever returning sounds like a death sentence. he adds, sipping his water. As to my speculation on food and drink; it was not meant as an affront, rather as an example to Mr. Enrik that true caution with the unknown is more than just not examining it; but not interacting with it at all. I meant no slight to your intention to nourish or refresh us.

Moonwolf727
2013-02-06, 09:35 PM

"Sir, you need to hide under the table. Please come out. I promise that my friend Jade will not harm you, nor will anyone else."

'Sorry about that, I'm not often surprised by creatures such as this so it was a rather jarring experience.' Gull says as he clumsily gets out from his temporary shelter assuming a more dignified posture after he has dusted himself off.

Gull discretely dips a finger into his water before taking a sip, those paying attention notice a faint frost in the liquid. Directing a look towards the barman Gull asks quietly 'The promise of escape somewhere beyond those doors is all well and good and I don't mean to pry into things that aren't my business but how did you come to be here yourself, If you don't mind my asking of course?'

Eiko
2013-02-07, 08:35 AM
Markus Kyre
"If few ever return, surely this implies some do? So it stands to reason that those people are still here, so if you're actually considering taking the barman's suggestion that it could lead to an exit I would counsel finding one of the people who actually know what is beyond those doors."

Markus eats his bread slowly and carefully, having waited a short period after someone else had tried the food and water before touching his own.

artofregicide
2013-02-07, 12:21 PM
The barman ignores the drunk's provocations, and instead answers the blue eyed psion.

I can't say what door is most popular, though if I was to guess it'd be the center one. As for return, I'd have to say the center one again, but I don't really keep a count."

Hearing the doctor's grim speculations, the Dwarf tries to temper them with some optimism.

"I know that what lies outside the Tavern is dangerous, yes, but not assured death. Once, long ago, I went through those doors and returned, though from what I understand that not all experience the same when they enter. And, as for insult, none taken, I understand your caution, I was merely saying to the best of my knowledge that my provisions are untainted."

The barman smiles slightly when the man in green and orange appears from under the table, and speaks to him.

"It's certainly fine, Jade can be quite intimidating when she wants to be. But I promise you she's a good troll, albeit a protective one. As for myself, long ago, I appeared here just as you did. I was in the midst of a losing battle with a Dragon, with my comrades. I can only assume they are dead now. I ventured forth through those doors, but when I had my fill of trying to explore, I retired here, to take charge of the bar and protect the girls. That's the long and short of it, anyway."

Finally, hearing the cloaked man speak ill of his experience, the barman gently corrected him.

"I've got experience enough, but as far as I know the doors don't lead to the same place every time. Why that is, I can't say. I'm not a powerful mage like some folk, but I can assure you that is the way things are."

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-07, 03:34 PM
So if were going to take a door I think we should go through the center one, but I also think that it would be a good idea to get to know each other and our strengths before we hit any big problems. To the barman, thank you for the aid, information, and your hospitality.

Rjanag
2013-02-07, 07:18 PM

Recalling the hurried way the dwarf had rushed into the tavern still half-dressed moments earlier, Enrik has a thought. Rolling his glass of water between his hands he asks the barman, "Besides food and drink, does this tavern have other extradimensional...'pleasures' to offer?" He shoots a knowing glance at the curly-haired halfling.

To Lindara's suggestion he says, "My name is all you people need to know about me."

Gildedragon
2013-02-07, 07:48 PM
Liam
Dr Morgan scoffs at Enrik's words. You would be well advised to be less acerbic Enrik, lest you find yourself alone in a strange land, bereft of allies or solace he says. It is not as if any of us planed to be here or meet each other. He turns to the barman and asks My good sir, do you perchance have stimulants? Strong teas or other decoctions to waken the mind? I fell here as I burned midnight oil, and my mind is in risk of succumbing to sleep.

Rjanag
2013-02-07, 08:10 PM
Liam
Dr Morgan scoffs at Enrik's words. You would be well advised to be less acerbic Enrik, lest you find yourself alone in a strange land, bereft of allies or solace he says. It is not as if any of us planed to be here or meet each other. He turns to the barman and asks My good sir, do you perchance have stimulants? Strong teas or other decoctions to waken the mind? I fell here as I burned midnight oil, and my mind is in risk of succumbing to sleep.

"Strange land...bereft of allies....", Enrik muses to himself. He and his raven both stare at one another for a moment, and then they burst out laughing. It takes him a few moments to catch his breath.

When the doctor asks for stimulants, Enrik perks up for a moment. He reaches beneath his cloak and fumbles around. After a moment he produces a small pouch, which he turns upside-down and empties onto the bar, revealing some pieces of red cloth, lengths of copper wire, lumps of wax, scraps of wool, and a hard piece of dark leather. He picks up the leather and holds it out to Liam. "Try this. One whiff of this foul-smelling thing could wake up a centuries-dead skeleton. It's pulled me back out of many empty bottles."

PowerGamer
2013-02-08, 01:27 PM
Azoth sits and listens. Not trying to be secretive, but just polite. He eats his bread silently why listening to the others. He seems friendly and might answer any questions asked of him if need be.

Moonwolf727
2013-02-08, 09:05 PM

So if were going to take a door I think we should go through the center one, but I also think that it would be a good idea to get to know each other and our strengths before we hit any big problems. To the barman, thank you for the aid, information, and your hospitality.

Gull casts his gaze downwards for a brief moment at the mention of "strengths" but quickly corrects his expression before replying 'I have a little uh.. magic left over from my tuition but I'm afraid it won't be much help, it mostly gets in the way if I'm honest with you.'
"LEARN YOUR PLACE!"
As the word "magic" passes his lips Gull feels his stomach churn and his insides roil in a manner comparable to, but not quite as bad as, severe indigestion. Staring into his drink for a moment a singular bead of sweat ponderously makes its way down his forehead before he sits up properly in his chair, a slight change in his expression shows hints of overexertion despite him not having any outward reason for it. It's far too early for this, a distraction, I need to keep my mind off of that.

Gull turns in his chair slightly to face the white-haired man, perhaps the quietest one of them so far, and begins to speak while trying to keep himself genuinely invested in the conversation 'I don't suppose you have any sound advice for us at a time like this? There isn't much way you could but it bears asking at least if you could spare a wise word or two?'

Eiko
2013-02-09, 01:38 PM
"We have a simple decision to make, whether to sit here and await rescue like countless others are obviously doing, or to seek our exit. In doing so our greatest resource are each other, between us we might have the necessary skills to do it. If any of us would rather simply stay here and live out a peaceful existance then I would support him, but there's not nearly enough here for me."

"In terms of what I could bring to the endeavor, my youth I used to work with the city guard on their more covert operations. I imagine I should pick that back up quickly enough should it come to it, locks and devices the crime lords set up in their homes and that sort of thing. I'm noway near what I used to be but I might be able to give you a hand."

He shakes his head smiling wistfully

"I imagine the skills I learned maintaining a library wont be too much use, unless we have books that need dusting."

PowerGamer
2013-02-09, 02:03 PM
Gull turns in his chair slightly to face the white-haired man, perhaps the quietest one of them so far, and begins to speak while trying to keep himself genuinely invested in the conversation 'I don't suppose you have any sound advice for us at a time like this? There isn't much way you could but it bears asking at least if you could spare a wise word or two?'

Azoth finished chewing hi mouthful of bread and turns to Gull, "I am but a simple monk. I study the ebb and flow of energies. As for sound advice. All I can really give is that too stay calm, be rational, and stick together." Azoth then takes another drink of water before returning to his loaf of bread.

artofregicide
2013-02-09, 04:34 PM
Hearing the angelic woman's gratitude, the Barman responds in kind.

"Ay, its no problem. I'm glad to help. You've been hospitable guests, so its the least I can do."

Enrik's insinuations cause the Barman to become embarrassed, and somewhat offended. Before he can come up with a response, the halfing answers for him.

"Ha. You're not my type. Maybe you should freshen up a bit and get rid of that squawking parrot."

Backing her up is the woman in blue, a certain fierceness in her voice.

"I don't know how they treat bar maids where you come from, but while you're here you'd be wise to treat us with decency and respect. Otherwise Jade might have to bring out her Gullwhacker."

She nods to the knotted rope the Troll carries. Having recovered, the Barman hears the Doctor's request for tea and puts a pot on the stove.

"Tea I can do. Would spicy mint be acceptable?"

Once the tea is ready, the Barman serves it in a large mug. While doing so, he realizes the cloaked stranger seems to misunderstand him, tries to correct him.

"I seem to have confused you friend: there are few, if any, who do not at some time go through the doors. I'm afraid the Tavern is quite dull, and most of the folk who come here are restless. I don't think anyone is waiting here to be found, for you could easily wait an eternity, I think."

See the determination of the strangers to move on, the Barman wishes them the best of luck, and Jade waves at them sheepishly.

"Good. Bye. If you come back, bring Jade a shiney. Okay?"

The barmaidens too wish you well, and now you must decide: Which door to take- West, South, or East? (The South Door is the central one). All the doors appear the same, each nearly 10 feet high and 10 feet across.

Rjanag
2013-02-09, 05:13 PM
Enrik

Gull casts his gaze downwards for a brief moment at the mention of "strengths" but quickly corrects his expression before replying 'I have a little uh.. magic left over from my tuition but I'm afraid it won't be much help, it mostly gets in the way if I'm honest with you.'

"That's a man who understands magic!" Enrik laughs.

He says nothing when rebuked by the halfling and the human barmaid; he just sulks at the bar and drinks his water.

Once the barman leaves, Enrik paces towards the center of the room. "Useless place..." he mutters under his breath. And then to the others, "So. Doors that don't always go to the same place? I suppose you want to know what kind of magic is behind them. This might get interesting..."

Enrik rolls the sleeves of his cloak back slightly and the bird flies back to his shoulder. He starts to look at his hands and move them around clumsily, silently mouthing words--almost as if rehearsing. A few times he interrupts the ritual by muttering "No" or "That's not how it went" to himself. At one point the bird leans in close to his ear, saying something inaudible, and he turns his head and shoots it a glare that silences it. Anyone close notices his breath quickening, and a few times he uses his sleeve to wipe sweat from his brow. Finally, he utters some incomprehensible words aloud and makes a series of hand gestures, and then falls silent for a moment, waiting.

"Ha!" he laughs after a moment. "It worked!" He seems to be speaking more to the raven than the others. He focuses his gaze on the door in the center for a few seconds, followed by the others, and says, "Now let's see what we have here..."

Casting Detect Magic, and will look at each door for at least 3 rounds to see if there are any magical auras and, if possible, try to identify them. Let me know if I should roll any Spellcraft.

Edit: Spellcraft roll is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14683641&postcount=44)

Gildedragon
2013-02-09, 05:27 PM
Liam
Liam looks at the piece of leather curiously. Thank you, but what is one supposed to do with it? he asks, hesitant to bite into it. He lets out a relieved sigh when tea is offered. Spicy mint is acceptable, whatever that may be. turning to the troll he smiles. Gladly, Jade he says, charmed by the troll's docile behavior.
He sees Enrik perform arcane gestures and laughs. i would not have pegged you for an thaumaturge! he says delighted as he sips the fresh tea. What is the purpose of your incantation? he asks, not recognizing the sorcerer's methods.
Spellcraft to identify the spell: [roll0]

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-12, 08:10 PM
Lindara waits for the results of Enrik's spell.

Eiko
2013-02-12, 09:16 PM
Markus
"If we are taking advice it would seem that the center door is the most sensible choice. It's hard to argue with history after all, by all accounts it gives us the best chance"

Markus pauses to scratch his sparse hair, observing the expressions of his companions and the barman.

PowerGamer
2013-02-12, 09:34 PM
Azoth is content to sit and wait. He feels the insignificance of his existence and will go where ever the flow will take him as all energy does

artofregicide
2013-02-12, 10:11 PM
After entirely too much waiting, Enrik determines the nature of the doors, to the best of his power.

Results: Strong Conjuration, the exact spell/magic is unknown, but likely of that of teleporation, though the entire area is tainted with a strong aura of conjuration/calling, centered in the circle they appeared. As well, each of the travelers still carries a trace of calling magic.

Unfortunately, the Doctor is unable to determine the exact nature of the Sorcerer's magic, though it seems to be fairly basic and straight forward divination of some sort.

As the travelers prepare to leave, the Troll makes its way back to the hearth, and curls up beside it. The Barman and bar maidens finish cleaning, and prepare to retire. It seems that everyone is quite happy to move on.

Rjanag
2013-02-12, 10:33 PM
Enrik

"Teleportation," Enrik announces to the others, pointing towards the southern door. "All of them. And not just the doors; this whole place stinks of it.

"No idea where those doors go, but it can't be any worse than here. I'm with the old man."

Gildedragon
2013-02-12, 11:02 PM
Liam

If we're all set on that course he says with a shrug. Just let me get my gear ready. I wasn't quite ready for battle when I got called here he says with some amusement. He doctor pulls out from his bag, and dons, a swordbelt with a strange looking scabbard, a sturdy carved bow, and a miscellany other devices. Gearing up like this made the scholar be transported to his youth, full of excitement and zeal. He snaps his fingers suddenly and turns to the barman. Do you have paper and ink we could take along with us. To make a record of what we see and experience.

artofregicide
2013-02-15, 01:58 AM
The Barman hands the doctor a few sheets of parchment and a ink quill, all that he can spare at this time.

And thus the six adventures stand before the great set of iron doors, which swing outward when approached, likely by magic. A strange white mist obscures vision more than ten or fifteen feet, down what appears to be a stone hall. But around inside the door frame reality bends at the edges, giving no promise of what is beyond.

And thus it begins.

PowerGamer
2013-02-15, 05:37 AM
Azoth stands towards the back of the group, waiting for someone else to move first.

Gildedragon
2013-02-15, 05:41 AM
Liam

Dr. Morgan peers into the mist reaching behind him he grabs one of the chairs and tosses it into the fog, curious to see or hear if anything happens.

Rjanag
2013-02-15, 06:18 AM
Enrik

Enrik also hangs behind the door for a few moments, suddenly looking quite fearful and hesitant for someone who had just moments ago been urging the others to open the door. After staring at the mist for a spell and not seeing anyone make the first move, he takes another look at his new companions: mostly frail or old or both, except for the woman.

He steps out in front of the open doorway and gulps. Wagging a finger in the air, he looks to the raven on his shoulder and says, "Not one word." With that, he steps into the mist.

Moonwolf727
2013-02-15, 12:01 PM
Gull follows hesitantly behind Enrik. He moves closer whilst quietly sniffing the air and keeping a tight grip on his rapier, as if it were any protection at all against whatever power, divine or infernal, that this tavern clearly thrives on. 'There's no other course of action, oh how dearly I wish there was, onward I suppose......' Gull grimaces slightly as he touches and then passes into the mist, his discomfort as clear as day. "Cry as a child, whine as an adult. The cycle has repeated far too many times.."

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-15, 02:59 PM
Lindara, having seen Enrik and Gull enter the mist, grabs Anta Kala off her back and quickly follows. What am I doing. She mutters to herself as she slips through the doorway and into the mist.

PowerGamer
2013-02-15, 03:04 PM
Hesitantly and reluctantly, Azoth walks into the mist after the rest of the group

Gildedragon
2013-02-15, 04:21 PM
Liam
The doctor shakes his head. So much for experimentation he says, stuffing the writing implements into his satchel, before running into the fog.

artofregicide
2013-02-16, 01:04 AM
The very fabric of reality twists around you as you walk down the corridor, you find yourselves slipping, floating, falling, and walking all in the same strange motion. A strange ringing in your ears and head builds, as the white mist around you becomes an unbearably bright light, and suddenly, you feel the pressure release with a light "pop".

No longer do the six strangers stand in a tavern, but instead in the foyer of a ruined hotel, likely quite luxurious by the faded decor. Outside the windows the sounds of high winds and crack of thunder is quite consistent, as well as the sound of rain. A strange orange-red glow comes from the sky, as though the sun were setting, and the light inside is dim. No torches are about, no habitation, this place is quite abandoned and dead.

Wherever you are now, there is no turning back.

Gildedragon
2013-02-16, 05:13 AM
Liam
The scholar looks around, amused. This hotel was more reminiscent of his world than the inn. So hostelries are a fundamental element of the cosmos. Who'd have guessed. he remarks, running a finger on the columns. With his other hand he reaches into his bag, pulling out a gem on a chain. The crystal is covered by flames that shine with a pure blue-white light. The scholar wraps the chain around his hand, turning his palm into a beacon of light.

Rjanag
2013-02-16, 07:37 AM
Enrik
Enrik looks over the surroundings, trying to get a sense of whether there are any doors, hallways, or stairs leading anywhere, and anything else to look out for. He also glances out the windows to get a look at the world outside and see if it is anything resembling the world he came from.

Spot check: [roll0]

PowerGamer
2013-02-16, 09:33 AM
Azoth
Azoth is uneasy as he looks around. He is used to his monistic life and doesn't like the looks of this one bit. He closes his eyes for a moment, remembering the bliss he experienced at home. He relaxed a little bit and prepared himself to manifest a power.

Holding Detect Hostile Intent for when we get to the door.

Moonwolf727
2013-02-16, 10:30 AM
Gull is still visibly disturbed and obviously uncomfortable in these surroundings, his eyes dart to and fro, looking for any dangers, while his ears serve much the same purpose in there own manner. Gull is still cautiously sniffing the air for danger and making an effort to not be heard while still listening in on anything nearby.

Listen check: [roll1]
Move silently check(If this even matters): [roll2]
Also if he can pick anything up with scent let me know.

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-16, 08:32 PM
Lindara looks around to get a better at the surroundings of the foyer, where the doors are, the windows, what things are in the room, and any other noticeable object.

Spot check if required: [roll0]

Gildedragon
2013-02-17, 04:35 PM
Liam

The doctor moves around, examining the construction and its make. The amounts of rubble and fallen pillars make him somewhat worried for possible collapses.
Kn. Architecture and Engineering [roll0] on stability and safety of te structure. Info on architectural style too.
He humms and haws touching the dust on the floor and rubbing it between his fingers, trying to ascertain more of the place where they find themselves.
Anyone got an idea where that door could have taken us? he asks, spotting for the first time the statues of the demons. A bit macabre those two, no? I wonder if they are apotropaic, or merely ornamental.

Spot Check (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14727846&postcount=66)

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-17, 05:14 PM
Lindara keeps an eye out for any monsters, people, or any possible threat to the team.

Spot check is new one is necessary: [roll0]

PowerGamer
2013-02-17, 07:52 PM
Noting the demon statues, Azoth looks around at the rubble and broken glass everywhere. He shivers a little... "Anyone else got the chills?" He says in a small voice

artofregicide
2013-02-18, 02:09 AM
As the party tries to find its bearings, they each notice different aspects of this new location. Something strikes them as very strange about this place, as though some unseen power swirls through the place, causing one's hair to stand on end. This once magnificent establishment was not merely abandoned but destroyed, violently, by forces beyond the comprehension of mortals, and you stand merely in its shell.

[OOC: Please only read your spoilers]

Enrik the Sorcerer
While somewhat distracted by his bird, Enrik notices that the place is filled by some sort of powerful and primitive magical energy. He notices that the building has been torn apart as though some giant being clawed its way into it. Otherwise, he only notices what was mentioned before.

Gull Dorian
The strange man's keen senses pick up a number of things. First of all, the demonic statues are not quite still, they have subtle movements, mostly their eyes, which are trained on the five newcomers. He can also hear them breathe, a deep earthy gasp, almost like wind through a stone pipe. Furthermore, he notices outside that the red light outside comes from chains of red lightning, in swirling clouds that glimmer with reflected light. Furthermore, the sound of rain is not rain, but the sound of some sort of grinding and churning sand, coming from below and not above. Finally his scent picks up an earthy smell, likely some sort of stale dung.

Lindara Halosphere
First and foremost, Lindara notices that there are windows to the building, but none of them are panneled or even covered in any way. More disturbingly, she notices that the wind outside seems to carry in it some sort of strange glimmering fragments. When a few of these are blown into the building, they are recognizable as small pieces of razor sharp glass. However, the angelic woman does not pick up on any living threats

Liam Morgan
The good doctor notices that the building is in terrible disrepair, and though the original construction was very sturdy, time and more sinister forces have undermined it in a very aggressive way. The central area seems fairly safe but the outer rooms seem to be falling apart, and stairwells seem to be a source of grief as well. The style is unknown to him, but very lavish and clearly of very high culture. As well, Liam notices that the demonic statues are not made of any demon, devil, or creature he's ever seen before. Regardless, there is no movement in the room at the moment.

Gildedragon
2013-02-18, 02:35 AM
Liam

Not really, not I at least. he says. The place certainly feels desolate, no doubt about that, but that's ruins for you. The red sky though, it does disquiet me; makes this world feel burnt to a cinder. Liam smiles standing up from his crouch. This place isn't all that structurally sound, though. I advice we stay close to the center, as it is the least damaged portion of the building. he explains. So, those statues strike my fancy. Intimidating but grotesques are usually used to ward off evil, which makes me feel somewhat reassured no?

Moonwolf727
2013-02-18, 05:21 AM
Liam
So, those statues strike my fancy. Intimidating but grotesques are usually used to ward off evil, which makes me feel somewhat reassured no?

Gull turns to face Liam and address him, he speaks in hushed tones as if trying not to be overheard.
'I feel those statues harbor an evil of their own sir, ordinary statues do not breathe nor do they follow the movements of those around them. In this case however I shall defer to your professional opinion and assume that they are guardians of some sort....'

Gildedragon
2013-02-18, 06:08 AM
Wait, what? he asks, surprised, feeling chilled by the notion. The sensation of protection he'd derived crumbles with that knowledge; making his voice lower, barely above a whisper, when he speaks next. What do you mean they breathe and follow our movements? He shivers visibly. Yeah, I got the chills now.

PowerGamer
2013-02-18, 09:28 AM
Azoth
"Moving, breathing statues? I don't like this one bit." He then releases his held power, becoming aware of anything nearby that is hostile. He turns this way and that, eyes darting all around. He strains his ears trying to hear movement or any other warning of something coming.

Manifests the held Dectect Hostile Intent (40 min/30 radius)
Listen Check: [roll0]

Rjanag
2013-02-18, 09:55 AM
Enrik

Enrik looks surprised when Gull mentions the statues breathing and watching. "The st... the what?!" He whips out his crossbow nervously, and moves behind the nearby pillar. "What were you thinking telling me to come here," he growls under his breath towards the raven, "being stuck in that dull tavern is better than being dead!"

Move to AC20 if possible.

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-18, 10:41 PM
Lindara looks to see if she can see what Gull mentioned about the statues.

Spot: [roll0]

artofregicide
2013-02-18, 11:01 PM
No one can validate Gull Dorian's claims: it seems that the man may have lost it. The statues aren't moving, at least visibly so, and neither does anyone hear them breathe. What is very clear is the rushing wind from the storm outside, and the clattering noise on the roof and walls around you, almost like bottles striking a stone wall.

Enrik takes cover behind a pillar, and the psion manifests some sort of power, but the statue remain impassive, unaware, and unalive.

Azoth the Eternal
You power is out of range of the statues, but in general you pick up no feeling of aggression. The only way to determine if the statues are aggressive would be to move within 30ft (the range of the power)

Gull Dorian
It seems clear the others cannot pick up what your fine senses are able to spot. The Statues refuse to move, but you can see their they watch you, the very subtle movements of their bodies. It's almost as if they are taunting you, driving you to question your own senses.

Rjanag
2013-02-18, 11:05 PM
Enrik

Not having risked his neck to take a closer look at the statues, Enrik still believes Gull's report. "Who would want to go out in that storm anyway?" he says to the others. "If we don't go out, then we don't need to go near them. Come on, the way out must be through one of these other doors back here."

Gildedragon
2013-02-18, 11:23 PM
Liam

I'd be careful going towards that area Mr. Enrik says Liam, keeping an eye on the statues. This structure is not in the best of repair. If you desire to go exploring, maybe someone should accompany you, for safety's sake.

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-20, 09:05 AM
I agree with Enrik, we need to get out there and see what we can do, it doesn't help us to stay here. But I understand that we need to be cautious so if we go out there we should all go together.

Rjanag
2013-02-20, 10:10 AM
I agree with Enrik, we need to get out there and see what we can do, it doesn't help us to stay here. But I understand that we need to be cautious so if we go out there we should all go together.

Enrik

"Out there?" Enrik shouts. "I meant looking in the rooms in here! I'm not going near those statues!" His voice seems to be taking on some of the panicked tone it had when he first arrived at the tavern.

Moonwolf727
2013-02-20, 10:16 AM
Gull, seeing the state of discomfort he has put Enrik into, looks downward and shuffles his feet a little before apologizing 'I'm sorry, it was not my intention to put you so on edge, I just assumed you would benefit from the knowledge......' After saying this Gull does his best to blend in with the background, lest he set someone off again. "Upsetting your friends already? And you didn't even need my help this time."

PowerGamer
2013-02-20, 05:19 PM
Azoth, scared, but intrigued, starts to take tiny steps moving toward the statues. Ignoring the others.

Move 10 feet (2 squares) towards them please

Gildedragon
2013-02-20, 05:29 PM
Liam looks at Gull. No need to apologize. It is best to be aware and on guard to something that poses no peril than unaware of a threat he says to the man. Before we head on out, I wish to look at something. adds the professor, walking to the fallen and examining the damage on it, trying to ascertain the cause of breakage.
what type of check would this be?

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-21, 04:23 PM
Well my friends I think we should check the doors to the east and west of us before we go to the south.

PowerGamer
2013-02-21, 04:32 PM
Azoth steps closer to the statues, he shivers a little as he moves closer.

Moving to AA 24

Rjanag
2013-02-21, 04:46 PM
Enrik

Enrik starts to speak, but stops when he notices Liam and Azoth approaching the statues: "I agree with Lindara, we should-- uh, professor, I don't think we should go that way... um...well...." He peers nervously around the edge of the pillar, waiting to see if anything happens when they inspect the statues.

Gildedragon
2013-02-21, 05:17 PM
I merely wish to examine the damage on the columns. You all are so worried one'd think you expect those two to come to life. Liam says grinning. Now, I figure that while that sounds like nonsense, this world isn't the same as mine. Ergo it is a possibility; therefore I wish to examine the columns, see if the damage is due to structural faults or through external forces. he explains.

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-21, 05:19 PM
Umm... Is it just me or did those statues just move?

artofregicide
2013-02-21, 05:24 PM
Timidly, the Psion approaches the two statues. His psionic senses are still out of range when he stops, but they quickly become irrelevant.

That is to say, the statues move.

Both leap down from their perches, incredibly agile for their stone bodies. The stone floor cracks from the force of the impact, and the strange beasts approach the psion, nearly silent, but the subtle sounds of their breath just barely audible. Each gasp sounds like wind in a pipe, clearly these creatures are alive.

Their eyes, too, now move, focused on the intruder. One creature walks on the ground, the other mounts a broken pillar. Once they come within a certain range of the psion, they stop, sniffing the air.

Then first lets loose a howl, a mix between a gunshot and a hurricane, reverberating through the hotel lobby. The second joins in the deafening sound,

OOC:
They have not attacked yet, but if you want to role initiative, you'll be initiating combat. They are fully aware of you and therefore will not be flatfooted unless they lose initiative.

You don't have to roll anything against the howl for deafness, the sound was only uncomfortably loud, not destructively so.

Dr. Liam
Spot: You notice that the interior of the building was as affected by the damage as the interior. But the damage is entirely uneven, there is no blast pattern or indication of reach (if the damage was done by individuals)

Knowledge: Whatever did this damage wasn't intentionally trying to undermine the support of the structure, or destroy the building. The hotel seems to still hold together, though you notice that a significant amount of weight that should exist from collapsed upper levels simply doesn't exist. The pillars and walls do not seem to be straining, as though there are only a few levels above this one, if any.

Azoth:
Surprisingly, the psion feels little aggression from the creatures, only a mix of territorial threat and heightened defensiveness.

Demon Statue Image:
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a582/nerdmeister/Tavern%20Characters/gargoyle_zpse6da592c.jpg

Rjanag
2013-02-21, 06:04 PM
Enrik

Enrik ducks back behind the pillar, grimacing as the unearthly howl pierces his ears.

"Are you just going to cower in fear?" the raven rasps into his ear when the sound subsides. "All that power, and you're too much of a coward to use it?"

"I'm going!" Enrik shouts, and swats the bird off his shoulder. "Get out of here." As the bird flies away, Enrik rummages in the pockets in his cloak, after a moment pulling out the same piece of cured leather he had offered to Liam before. He utters something under his breath, and a bright aura surrounds him for a split second before subsiding.

OOC:
Enrik is casting mage armor on himself--if he has enough actions to do so now. The spell is a standard action, and I assume getting the component from his pack is either a move action or just part of the spell?

Oubliet, his raven, will fly towards the northwest corner of the room, J7. His fly speed is 40' (8 squares) so with a double move or a full-round action I assume he can get pretty much anywhere?

Gildedragon
2013-02-21, 06:09 PM
Liam stares. Whelp. Called it. he says, trying to act unfazed.
knowledge arcana + C. Knowledge [roll0] to identify
+ kn. arcana for kn. devotion [roll1] (+1 to attack and damage vs them)
Would like to know the results so Liam can make informed actions

Moonwolf727
2013-02-21, 06:22 PM
Gull, with an entirely unsurprised expression of pure calmness, draws his rapier from it's scabbard. Roughly a half-second later his facade cracks and he, with all the bravery of a half-dead mouse, attempts to sneak his way round the pillar so as to be out of the stone monstrosities' line of sight.

Moving 15ft to Y16
Move silently (Only 15ft so no penalty) [roll0]
Hide (Also no penalty) [roll1]

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-21, 06:43 PM
Lindara assumes that we are preparing to attack the statues and grips her sword tighter. move to AB-25 What are you planning to do? She asks Azoth when she gets next to him.

artofregicide
2013-02-21, 06:51 PM
Reactions and Consequences:

Party members move about, Enrik's bird flies away and out of view, Lindara moves forward, blade in hand, as Gull Dorian vanishes from sight. Glowing armor appears around Enrik and Liam Morgan continues to ponder the creatures, without moving closer.

Both "gargoyles" seem quiet upset, and grow louder in their rumbling growls and their movements more violent, but they do not attack. Yet.

Enrik:
Mage Armor: You never have to take an action to use the component for a spell. That is included in the action of casting the spell itself. Therefore you have a move action left, if you want to use it.

Also, since your familiar is now farther than 5 feet away, you no longer benefit from Alertness, and cannot share spells.

I'm not sure if you can take a run action while flying, but for now I'll assume that your raven can. Also, I'll assume that your familiar is smart enough not to get caught in the strong winds outside (which that room is exposed to). Would [P 8] or [Q 7] work instead?

Dr. Liam:
Unfortunately, Liam is unable to pinpoint the nature of these creatures. The doctor's expansive knowledge brings up a number of facts about constructs and magical beasts which resemble these: said constructs are either created by demons or wizards are guardians and sentinels. There are also a number of magical beasts which somewhat fit the description of what you see, but this must be some sort of significant variant if that is true. You find no particular weakness against the creatures from your studies.

In summary, you fail to identify them and gain no bonus against them. (Wrong knowledge, sorry :smalltongue: )

Dorian:
You disappear entirely from sight, including from the others. At the moment, no one is aware that you're hiding directly behind them.

Lindara:
As you move closer to the creatures, they grow more agitated and loud, as though they are either threatened, or offended in some way. Your detect evil ability comes up with nothing on the creature, but the whole area has some sort of vague taint to it.

Azoth:
As the angelic woman moves closer to the creatures, they grow more agitated and loud, as though they are either threatened, or offended in some way.

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-21, 07:55 PM
If it's not to late I would like to use my paladins Detect Evil ability on the creature to the west for two rounds if possible. I have line of sight, nothing is blocking, and it's in range.

Rjanag
2013-02-21, 08:55 PM
Enrik

"Hey, I think they just don't want us going south...why not look in some of those other doors? The ones without huge stone demons guarding them?"

PowerGamer
2013-02-21, 08:56 PM
Azoth flinches as the statues move. He then recovers and starts to mumble"They seem to be... Wait. Don't move! I can sense their feelings. They seem defensive, protective perhaps.. of that door maybe. Not much aggression" *Lindara moves forward* "Erm.. I wouldn't move any closer if I were you... They don't seem to like you too much Madame Paladin. I think if we back off calmly, Unlike Sir Enrik there and his crow..., they might leave us alone." *mumbling back to self* "Such fascinating creatures..."

Moonwolf727
2013-02-21, 09:08 PM
"I think if we back off calmly, Unlike Sir Enrik there and his crow..., they might leave us alone."

'Quite alright where I am for now, thank you sir.' Gull stays exactly where he is, despite his desire to run as far away from those demon statues as possible, and perhaps even have a pleasant chat with the raven to pass the time while he was at it....., he is rooted to the spot and not going anywhere.

artofregicide
2013-02-22, 12:55 AM
The "gargoyles" continue to hold their place, but have yet to be calmed.

Suddenly, you hear the sound of something quite heavy landing on the roof, and the clatter of movement above you. Dust dislodges from the ceiling, clearly whatever is above you is large and dense. Possibly another "gargoyle" or... several. Listening closer would be required to determine this.

Again, both of the statues give out their ear-splitting trumpet roars, but they make no attempt to move toward you.

Lindara:
In case you missed it, your detect evil picks up nothing from the creatures, but a general and nearly invisible taint about the entire place. It is impossible to properly pin-point.

Dr. Liam:
Knowledge Nature: You identify these creatures as some cousin of the Gargoyle, though they seem to lack many of the species trademark behaviors. In particular, these seem territorial instead of aggressive and sadistic. As well, you notice some sort of grey-green bile about their mouths, some sort of poison or toxin likely naturally produced. Furthermore, you know that these creatures have incredibly thick hides, almost like stone, and unnatural speed and agility for their appearance.

Gargoyles speak a form of Primitive Terran, and generally do not have the intelligence to speak any other languages (thus do not understand common)

Creature Identified: Gargoyle- Monsterous Humanoid (Earth)

Knowledge Devotion: You become aware of a few places to strike the creatures, but it is far too complicated to explain to your comrades. Regardless, this should help you pierce the gargoyles' hides, if necessary, but won't be abler to negate it entirely.

(+3 to hit and damage)

Gildedragon
2013-02-22, 01:13 AM
Their mouths, they're poison. Don't let those bite you calls out Liam, recognizing them from ancient sketches and books. Talk with us, gargoyles and no one need be hurt". he asks, slowly drawing his khopesh and a long ivory batton; activating the latter to protect his body. He curses as the gargoyles fail to answer. Terran, of course. he mumbles. Can any of you speak terran, or earthish? he calls out, loud and clear.

Mage armor on self.

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-22, 09:09 PM
I do not believe I can help you there Dr. Lindara, seeing the reaction that the "Gargoyles" had when she got close, takes a step back to where Liam and Enrik are.Move to AA-21

artofregicide
2013-02-23, 05:44 PM
The Gargoyles, hearing the good doctor's pleas, and seeing that Lindara backs off quietly, seem to calm a bit. One of them looks at the doctor, and speaks to him directly. The creature's voice is surprisingly coherent, and sounds like a mixture of churning gravel and rushing wind.

Unfortunately, neither he nor the rest speak a word of Terran, thus they do not understand the Gargoyle.

The sounds above continue, and it seems there must be two more Gargoyles above you, at least.

Rjanag
2013-02-23, 06:03 PM
Enrik

I think if we back off calmly, Unlike Sir Enrik there and his crow..., they might leave us alone."[/COLOR]

"There's a time and a place for calm," Enrik shouts back at Azoth, "and this is not--- erm.... well then..." As he sees the creatures begin to calm down, his voice trails off and he forgets what he was going to say. "That is a relief." He lowers his crossbow and moves tentatively towards the doors in the northeast, testing to see if the creatures will react.

"It looks like there's no going forward that way," he says to the others. "Nothing left but to find another way out. Preferably before these statues' friends find their way in..."

OOC:
If the "gargoyles" get mad at him moving away, he'll stop in his tracks. Otherwise he'll move to AL15 and try to open the door there.

Gildedragon
2013-02-23, 06:12 PM
Liam looks at the gargoyle concerned.Isn't this a delight he mumbles after noting the general illiteracy in Terran of the group. We don't speak Terran he says, slowly. Speak dwarf? Goblin? Dragon? he asks, once in each language. Charades? Liam tries to pantomime some, growing uncertain of his communicative capacity.

Sense Motive on the gargoyles [roll0]

Rjanag
2013-02-23, 06:25 PM
Enrik

Enrik says something to Liam in Infernal, loud enough that the gargoyles would be able to hear:

"What makes you so sure they can speak at all? Perhaps they're mindless beasts."

Gildedragon
2013-02-23, 06:50 PM
Because I know. he retorts, offended his erudition was taken into question. I explain later he adds as a conciliatory measure. He awaited, eagerly, to see if these particular gargoyles spoke any other languages.

PowerGamer
2013-02-23, 09:05 PM
Azoth hearing Enrik says back in Infernal
"I don't suggest we insult these creatures sir, for fear of angering them"

He then notices Liam trying multiple forms of communication.

Gildedragon
2013-02-23, 09:16 PM
Liam's eyes widen with an idea and points at himself Li-am he says, enunciating slow, repeating several times before pointing at Enrik En-rik. Finally he points at the gargoyles You?

artofregicide
2013-02-24, 12:58 AM
The first gargoyle takes a step closer, while its companion remains in place. The former speaks again, pointing towards Liam. It attempts to mimic his words.

"La-arm"

Then it speaks a few phrases in Terran, which are again incomprehensible to you. Then the Gargoyle's fellow makes the same howl noise, this time not quite so deafeningly loud.

You hear the call answered from the roof directly above you, from at least three different Gargoyles, perhaps more. They sound as though they are very close.

Across the room, Enrik is disappointed to find that the door is locked. To his surprise, when he pushes against it, lightly, the door falls from its hinges backwards into the room. Dust swirls: clearly this room has not been opened for some time. The room is very dark, but appears to be some sort of bedroom.

Enrik
You notice sagging bed, vanity mirror, a large dresser, and the trapping of luxury. However, the room isn't particularly large, nor does it have any windows. You notice that instead of torches, the room may have been lit by crystals hanging from the ceiling and walls, though they shed no l light now. Whatever powered them no longer does so, clearly.

PowerGamer
2013-02-24, 09:46 AM
Azoth chimes in with Liam. Pointing to himself, he enunciates his name a few times before pointing back at Liam and doing the same.
He's glad the gargoyles have seemed to calm down but is a little worried that there are 3 more it seems on the roof

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-24, 10:26 AM
Lindara agrees with Enrik's idea of exploring and leaves the others to the diplomacy with the Gargoyles. She heads over to the door that Enrik opened and looks in over his shoulder.Move to AK-15

Moonwolf727
2013-02-24, 10:33 AM
Gull slowly but surely comes out of his hiding place behind the pillar, reassured slightly by the lack of dead comrades. He rounds the main desk and checks for drawers, cabinets and other possibly-important or simply interesting things.

Move to AA-10
Search check [roll0]

Rjanag
2013-02-24, 10:50 AM
Enrik

"Good workmanship," Enrik mumbles as the door falls off its hinges.

"Ugh, can't see a thing," he says as he peers into the room. "Wonder if this one still works..." He makes a series of hand gestures and utterances, but nothing seems to happen. After a moment of waiting he shakes his hands out and then does it again; this time, four little lights about the size of lanterns appear in thin air in the room before him. "That's it!"

As the gargoyles do not seem to object to his peeping, he enters the room and begins searching it, particularly the dressers, for anything of interest or any potential clues--about what this place is, and what may have happened here to bring it the strange residents it has now.

OOC:

Cast dancing lights, putting them in AP14:AQ15.
Move into the room (AP14)
Search check: [roll0]

If he finds nothing, he'll continue through to the next room.

artofregicide
2013-02-24, 11:43 PM
As the party further spreads out, the Gargoyles seem to relax more. They seem to no longer see an immediate threat from you, who are likely intruders on their territory.

The talkative one continues to ramble slowly in Terran, but you can't understand a word it speaks.

Lindara joins Enrik, while Gull Dorian snoops behind the reception desk. All three notice for the considerable damage and age of the area, there seems to be absolutely no organic decay on wood and fabric. The desk, albeit covered in smooth dust, is in no way touched by any sort of decomposition. The same goes for the frilly curtains, though they are heavily torn and sagging.

Gull Dorian seems to get caught up puzzling with the desk drawers, and has some difficult opening them, and when he finally pulls one open, it makes a horrendous screech as the rusted metal drags. All he seems to find inside are papers and letterhead, written in a language he doesn't understand.

The sorcerer Enrik seems to have a bit more success, with the angelic woman at his back and his magic at work. He finds a small coinpurse, filled with 8 gold coins. The bag seems to be made out of a fine black velvet, and a strange letter is embroidered in silver on the side.

Otherwise, in the room he finds a white envelope, addressed in shining golden ink and secured with a intricate seal, laying idley on the bed. Otherwise, what remains in the room is mostly clothing fit for a noble woman of a particularly short race, and personal affects which are either damaged, worthless, or both.

He finds that the next door is unlocked and opens freely.

As the searchers find mixed success, a crash comes from the other side of the room. A heavy door collapses downward, and through the entrance come three more Gargoyles, of about the same size and shape of the other two, with only minor physical differences.

They greet their fellows in Terran, and then watch Liam and Azoth suspiciously.

Rjanag
2013-02-25, 01:24 AM
Enrik

Enrik opens the envelope to read its contents. In the meantime he shouts out to the main room, "Doctor, here is something for you to read." After stowing the coins in his cloak, he holds the pouch out for others to take and look at.

After looking at the letter, he also peers into the next room.

I don't know if I need a new search check for the new room, but if so: [roll0]

PowerGamer
2013-02-25, 05:36 AM
Upon 3 more gargoyles entering the room, Azoth backs up to Liam. A studious psion does not belong in the front of the group

Gildedragon
2013-02-27, 06:04 PM
This is looking less good... says Liam. So Mister... he pauses to allow Azoth to give him his name. ...what's your specialty? Because it seems we might be in a pickle. Upon hearing Enrik he turns his head. Come over here and show it to me, spell-caster; maybe we can help each other.

Rjanag
2013-02-27, 06:20 PM
Enrik

"Busy here!" Enrik shouts back to Liam as he rifles through the room. A moment later, he puts his fingers to his lips, whistles, and shouts, "Oubliet!" Surprisingly, the bird obediently flutters back over to him. Enrik holds the bag out to the bird and speaks to it in Infernal,

"Give this to the doctor."

The raven takes the bag in its beak and then flies over to Liam's position. It alights on the floor next to the professor and drops the bag on the ground.

Gildedragon
2013-02-27, 06:38 PM
An empty pouch? Really? says Liam irked. Seeing the gargoyles are not behaving aggressively he levitates the pouch to his hand. The doctor lets a pleased. Yes. escape him; the amulet worked. Handling the pouch he examines it.

PowerGamer
2013-02-27, 07:27 PM
"I'm a kineticist. I study the flow of energy. I'm also able to control it somewhat as well." Azoth tells Liam without taking his eyes off the statues

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-27, 09:09 PM
Lindara moves north to the other door leading to the East,Move to AL-10and opens the door if possible.

artofregicide
2013-02-27, 09:57 PM
Enrik, having sent his raven on its way, opens the door to the next room. What he sees is a ruined bathroom, the pipes sticking out of the walls, the tiling broken with large gaps plummeting out of view. Worse yet, a roaring gust of wind sprays shards of broken glass towards him, dangerous to his unprotected skin.

Glass Shards
DC 15 reflex save to close the door, or 1d4 slashing damage + blindness 1 round

Lindara attempts to open to the next door, but finds it to be both locked and far more secure than the last one. She can either attempt to pick the lock, find a key, or simply bash it down.

But there are more pressing matters. So far, any attempt to communicate has failed with the Gargoyles, and they now number five. All have moved closer, their movements heavy but determined. They seem as curious as they do wary, but their movements seem to imply they aren't afraid of you.

Hostile Intent: Azoth
While you do not pick up full hostility, it seems that the Gargoyles are becoming more defensive, and frustrated by the communication issues. This could break into actual hostility with even a small misunderstanding.

PowerGamer
2013-02-27, 10:18 PM
"Liam, my good sir," Azoth says ina slightly worried voice, "Tthey sseem to be slightly upset with our little problem communicating wwith them... I fear any mistakes nnow... Won't end well for either of us"

Gildedragon
2013-02-27, 11:14 PM
What do you propose we do? he asks, looking at the bag before tucking it into his belt. I can try to parrot things back at them, but not sure how that would be received if things are as tense as you say. With a sigh he begins to walk up to them, hands open, showing himself to be unarmed and without hostile intent.

Int check to try to repeat their speech at them. [roll0]
What knowledge to recognize the symbol on the bag?

Moonwolf727
2013-02-28, 12:02 PM
Gull notices the approaching and increasingly talkative gargoyles have added another three to their group and reacts in the way you would expect of him, or any sane man, and ducks lower behind the desk in an attempt to not be noticed. "You have been many different people over the centuries, none of them were sane."

Yeah, sorry I didn't post sooner. My only excuse is that I had laptop troubles.

Hide check: [roll0]
Search check: [roll1] (If I can't search and hide then I will just hide instead.)

Dark Hawk799
2013-02-28, 02:59 PM
Lindara, seeing how strong this door is, tries to kick it down.
Str Check [roll0]

artofregicide
2013-02-28, 09:15 PM
Once again, Gull disappears behind the desk, and but tries to continue his search, but the squeaking drawer scares him from pursuing that course of action further. Regardless, the Gargoyles seem to have little interest in the strange skittish man.

The Doctor seems to have a little more success. He seems to get the gist of the Gargoyle's speech, which is very primitive and repetitive, and is possibly able to parrot words back at them.

Liam Morgan:
You understand this from the Gargoyle: You are intruding/breaking into their territory, and they want to know if you want to challenge/fight one of them in order to prove that you're brave/strong enough to warrant letting through without hassle. Otherwise, he seems to want tribute of some sort.

In order to speak to them, it'll be another INT check, but an additional +2 for being able to comprehend some of their words.

The Angelic woman smashes into the door, but it holds firm, though the frame seems to weaken and you can hear the lock bend. Nevertheless the door stands.

Enrik pushes open the door, only to receive a face-full of razor sharp glass shards, cutting his skin, and powdered glass dust blinding him. Luckily, he is holding the door frame, or he could have stumbled into the pit before him. He closes the door, embedding with four small glass shards and bleeding in several more places, but nothing life threatening.

Gildedragon
2013-03-01, 12:31 AM
They want gifts or one on one combat? I think. Fairly certain anyway. Anyone feel up to the challenge? I am afraid I have no gifts, really. I might not be the best warrior but I don't think I'd do too badly; I fared fairly well in duels. Liam asks his team.

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-01, 03:01 PM
I don't have any gifts but I would fair well in one-on-one combat, if it came to that.

Gildedragon
2013-03-01, 03:25 PM
Liam beckons Lindara closer. I dont think any of us came with treasures on hand. Now, I don't expect it is supposed to be lethal combat. That is to say, don't kill it. he says before returning to his pidgin negotiations, trying to understand the rules of engagement.

[roll0]

PowerGamer
2013-03-01, 06:48 PM
Azoth stands by, ready to defend himself if needed.

Rjanag
2013-03-01, 07:00 PM
Enrik

Enrik stumbles back into the room, momentarily stunned with surprise at the sight he had seen in the other room. He leans against the wall and blinks the grit out of his eyes until he can see again. Then he goes back out into the main room.

"You really want to fight that?" he says to Liam and Lindara, gesturing to the nearest gargoyle. "Well... better you than me." He lets the others discuss their plans a moment longer, then he interjects, "Do you know what's outside this inn? Absolutely nothing. In that room there are holes in the floor, with a pit of nothing below. This is no ordinary place."

Finally, while the others try to negotiate with the gargoyles, Enrik opens the envelope he found in the bedroom and tries to read its contents. He tries his best not to destroy the seal, just in case any of the others want to see its design.

OOC:
Waits one round and then goes out to AC16.

Moonwolf727
2013-03-01, 07:13 PM
Gull stays hidden and otherwise does nothing.

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-01, 09:53 PM
Lindara moves to AB-21 and waits to find out the rules for the "duel".

artofregicide
2013-03-02, 01:24 AM
The room shakes, and you hear more movement on the roof. This is louder, and heavier than the other movements. In a moment you realize that the sound is coming from inside the roof, inside the building, between the floors.

Bits of tile fall from above as a large creature crawls out a well worn hole the ceiling and drops down behind the other gargoyles. This creature appears to be a fellow Gargoyle, but is much larger than its kin, with long sweeping horns and tusks, made of out stone. Without further inspection, it is hard to tell why the creature is larger and stronger: size, gender, related race, or some sort of magical condition.

Regardless, this seems to be their leader, and it speaks to the others, assessing the situation, before seeming to give approval.

The talkative Gargoyle moves forward, it apparently accepts the challenge. It waits for the others to clear the way between it and Lindara.

Enrik
Since your sorcerer was basically blind-sided by the faceful of glass, it makes sense that he didn't get a proper look at what was below. Obviously, it's a long drop, but you will eventually notice there is something at the bottom. That said, Enrik won't know that until he gets a better (hopefully non-painful) look.

Liam
You successfully nominated Lindara as the challenger, and the Gargoyle motions that you need to all move away so the two can fight uninterrupted. As far as you can tell, this isn't a fight to the death. You also pick up from the "Leader" that the others seem to all refer to it by the same name, and it clearly is dominant. It seems to be very okay with the duel.

Azoth
You notice that the talkative gargoyle has hostile intent, but not towards you. It seems to be waiting on you to move out of the way before it fights, likely Lindara

Gildedragon
2013-03-02, 02:39 AM
He looks at the large gargoyle and turns to the paladin. You go him them lady Lindara. cheers on Liam, stepping away. No one intervene, it is not to the death, and insulting them would be unwise. he calls out, loudly, so all his companions can hear. Thrilled at the idea of seeing such a formidable gargoyle fight he squats at the edge of the circle, making quick sketches of the gargoyle on the loose paper.

Rjanag
2013-03-02, 05:29 AM
Enrik

While he is still hestitant to give up any of his things if he doesn't have to, Enrik also begins feeling apprehensive about the consequences of dueling. "What happens to us if she loses?" he asks Liam.

Gildedragon
2013-03-02, 05:40 AM
We get to give a gift, tribute, which I doubt any of us has, or we fight he speculates, quickly jotting down his notes in his pidgin Terran. If we're lucky they allow us to try someone else one on one. But this is, as far as I understand, a test of our mettle and bravery.

PowerGamer
2013-03-02, 09:57 AM
"Mi'lady, only the one is hostile. But only towards you. I assume it's because of the duel. I wish you luck" Says Azoth as removes himself and hides behind a fallen pillar.

Move Y22 (I think)

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-03, 08:20 AM
Initiative:[roll0]

artofregicide
2013-03-05, 02:47 PM
The talkative Gargoyle howls, and the others join in unison, a primitive sort of encouragement or boasting.

Then it begins to circle Lindara, its long arms grasping, but not yet attacking. It tries to keep the higher ground, using the terrain to its benefit.

Luckily, the angelic woman is by far more swift than the creature, whose bulky frame and sluggish reaction leaves it open to attack.

Mechanics:
Initiative [roll0]

The Gargoyle is considered flatfooted for your first attack.

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-05, 04:26 PM
What is the penalty for doing non-lethal? Subtract this number from the attack to get real result. Lindara strikes her target. 1d20+5-2 (power attack-2 attack +4 damage) [roll0]

edit: I forgot to add in the -2 for power attack so I'm a -2 to the attack (20 attack)
Edit 2: Move to AA-24

artofregicide
2013-03-05, 05:07 PM
Lindara charges forward, swinging the flat of her blade against the creature's head, a curving arc of steel that ends in a resounding clatter of metal against stone. She has effectively closed the distance between the two.

The creature reels as the blow strikes it, completely unprepared for Lindara's swiftness and precision, even while using the blade in a non-lethal fashion.

Mechanics and OOC:
If you don't mind, please hide your mechanics in spoilers. Keeps with the spirit of things.

Regardless, you hit. The penalty is for nonlethal with a lethal weapon is -4, so you're at 16, but you still hit (he's flatfooted, for one).

Roll damage normally. The Gargoyle has damage reduction magic, and I think your weapon is only masterwork, so it will be subtracted from your damage.

The other Gargoyles emit the same howl from before, it seems they are quite enjoying the fight.

Emitting a half snarl, half trumpet-sound, the Gargoyle launches itself at Lindara with both its arms ending in hammer-like closed fists. The creature moves incredibly quickly for its clumsy appearance.

Unfortunately, such speed did not come with balance, and the creature stumbles as it attempts to strike Lindara, providing her with a second chance to strike it.

Mechanics and OOC:
[roll0] AC 14: Miss, Fumble

[roll1] Missed: Ignore

Lindara get's a free AoO.

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-05, 06:49 PM
Damage for first attack:

Taking advantage of the Gargoyles attack she makes another attack

[roll]1d20
Damage if attack hits
2d6+6

OOC
Edit: So I rolled my attack on the OOC thread because this die roller seems to be down.

Rjanag
2013-03-05, 11:51 PM
Enrik

Considering the skittish way he had behaved when first arriving in the inn, and when threatened by Jade, and again when first arriving here... Enrik looks surprisingly calm as Lindara and the gargoyle come to blows. While does not leave the cover of his pillar, he also is not sweating or losing control like he was before. Apparently combat or dangerous situations don't bother him as long as they're sufficiently far away from his person.

With a flick of his wrists, Enrik sends the floating balls of light south, until they are hovering several feet above the combatants, shedding light on the arena.

Putting the dancing lights at AA24, 5 feet above Lindara's head (so I guess in the 3rd square up.

Oubliet flies over and, with the usual noisy flurry of feathers, alights on Enrik's shoulder. "Like watching Jeanne fight again?" the raven says. "And will you abandon her as well?" Enrik swats the bird, causing it to flap its wings to keep its balance, although it remains on his shoulder. "You cannot mention her name," he barks. "Besides," he adds after a moment's thought, "this creature seems perfectly manageable."

artofregicide
2013-03-06, 02:20 AM
The elegance of the celestial warrior's blow is lost upon the Gargoyle's natural resistance, but sheer force of the blow impacts the creature. Despite showing no visible signs of damage, the Gargoyle grunts deeply with pain.

Somewhat dazed by the blow, and simply outclassed by Lindara's speed, the creature cannot help but suffer another blow attacking again.

Enrik's magic lights shed a strange glow to the room: it is strange enough to be fighting a living statue, but something else to do so in a odd colored arcane glow.

OOC and Mechanics:
Actually, Lindara gets a third hit in before the Gargoyle gets to move again. Swing away, Merill.

So far, you've gotten two good hits in, but the creature's natural damage reduction is absorbing part of your attack.

Make sure to post both your attack and damage. You can Strike outthe damage if you miss.

One last thing: I don't give enemies free AoO's if you critical fumble. Also, I confirm critical fumbles (as with critical hits, except if you succeed the second roll, you merely miss).

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-06, 02:58 PM
On her turn Lindara swings her mighty sword again in an attempt to hit the strange creature.
Attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Gildedragon
2013-03-06, 03:25 PM
Eyes intent on the battle Liam sketches out his notes. If push came to shove he might be able to give Lindara an extra edge, but cheating was bound to not be well received.
Putting the quill and paper aside he calls out. You can take him. Try and get higher ground.

artofregicide
2013-03-06, 10:05 PM
This time, the Gargoyle is better prepared, blocking Lindara's blade with his stony arm. He lunges at her again, grasping with his wicked claws.

Luckily, the angelic warrior is able to fend off the creature's attack.

Mechanics:
Lindara's attack misses, obviously.

Attack [roll0] Miss AC

Damage [roll1] Miss: Ignore

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-06, 10:14 PM
Lindara's armor barely deflects the gargoyle's attack. She quickly retaliates.

Attack:
Damage:[roll]2d6+6

artofregicide
2013-03-07, 01:37 AM
Emboldened by it's ability to deflect Lindara's second strike, the Gargoyle throws itself with renewed energy against her, this time both trying to buffet her with it's rocky wings and grab her with it's stone claws.

The creature is emboldened by more trumpeting from its allies, the outburst causing dust and pieces of plaster to fall from the ceiling.

Again, the angelic woman escapes the creature's grasp, much to its anger. It finds itself on bad footing, which hampers the creature's ability to doge.

Mechanics and OOC
For the critical fumble, I am treating the creature as flat-footed until its next turn. God lordie, I've rolled 2 critical fails and nothing about an 8?

Claws [roll0] AC 14: Fumble, Miss

Wings [roll1] AC 14: Miss

Damage Claws: [roll2] Ignore

Damage Wings: [roll3] Ignore

The rest of the party:
Feel free take actions, if you want to, while the fight continues. Or just watch. Either is fine. This is taking much longer than expected :smallconfused:

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-07, 03:08 PM
OOC
If I get an AoO this is it, if not this is my attack for my turn
Lindara returns the attack and prays that it hits.
Attack[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

artofregicide
2013-03-07, 04:47 PM
For the third time, Lindara's blade is caught by Gargoyle claw and pushed aside. It seems that the Gargoyles are beginning to tire of the fight, growing impatient. Perhaps some of the others wish to join in...

Regardless, the challenger throws himself yet again at Lindara, hoping to finally catch her in his claws. This time, he simultaneously attempts to bite her and swipe with his arms.

This time, the angelic warrior is not quite fast enough: his claws sink into her armor and hold fast, then the creature delivers a venomous bite

Worse yet, he attempts to hold her in his grasp.

Lindara bleeds from the damage the creature has done: it's not certain if the beast wishes to kill her or not, but the wounds indicate the creature either has no concept of the damage it has done, or doesn't care.

Mechanics and OOC:
Claws Attack [roll0] AC 14 HIT

Bite Attack [roll1] AC 14 HIT

Claws Damage [roll2] HIT Automatic Grapple Attempt (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14849916&postcount=112) [14]

Bite Damage [roll3] HIT Fort Save for poison

Gildedragon
2013-03-07, 05:14 PM
Liam's eyes widen, seeing the blood and worrying for Lindara's wellbeing. I'll join Lindara he says. The gargoyles are getting restless. I might be able to help Lindara speed this along. He then turns to the alpha gargoyle, trying to convey the notion of a 2-v-2 match.

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-07, 05:38 PM
Lindara tries to shrug off the damage done by the gargoyle with her extensive training. Fort save to resist poison: [roll0]

Then she tries to break free of the grapple.
Opposed grapple check(I'm not sure if this is the right action if not let me know.) [roll1]

artofregicide
2013-03-08, 12:56 AM
Luckily for Lindara, she seems to shrug off the adverse affects of the poison, and furthermore break the creature's grip on her. Now freed of the Gargoyle's grasp, she is free to attack again.

Noting Liam's interest in joining the combat, the Gargoyle leader sends in a second creature to fight him, this one a bit bigger than the other, with a strange green tint to his stoney body.

Unlike the first, this Gargoyles seems more ready for combat. It closes the gap, and the other gargoyles again trumpet. The party seems to have somewhat adjust to sheer volume of noise.

Initiative [roll0]

Gildedragon
2013-03-08, 03:34 AM
Liam grips the handle of his khopesh, feeling the magic in the handle surge through it. The professor feels his years of attending to duels surge through him as he runs at the gargoyle, drawing his sword in one smooth action, hoping to catch it before it caught onto him.

He feels the silver axe-like blade swing out in one smooth motion, slicing at the creature. The scholar lets out an ululating war-cry; staring down at the stony humanoid.

Initiative: [roll0]
Swift action: activate wand of Master's Touch in the khopesh
Charge at the gargoyle.
Free action: Draw khopesh. Iaijutsu (cunning knowledge) [roll1]
Attack: [roll2]
Damage (cunning insight): [roll3]
Iaijutsu damage: [8] <in ooc>
Total Damage: [23]
Cunning Dodge: AC: 16
Inspiration Points left: 3

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-08, 07:15 PM
Lindara takes another swing at the gargoyle in hopes to finish it off.
Attack: Power attack 2[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Rjanag
2013-03-09, 09:45 AM
Enrik

Enrik continues watching the fight, not making any moves to intervene yet. "Who would have thought the professor could handle himself with a sword," he says when Liam charges into the fray.

Moonwolf727
2013-03-09, 12:12 PM
Gull has, by this point, already stuck his head up from his hiding place and, after observing most of the fight, is watching eagerly to see just who will deal the finishing blow(s). He was, rather understandably, a little shocked at the professor's combat prowess, especially considering the war cry which threw Gull off a bit. All of this was great reason to reevaluate his opinion of Liam.

artofregicide
2013-03-09, 09:11 PM
NOTE: POST MOSTLY FINISHED
(But if you spot something incomplete, let me know)

Lindara's blow connects, and this time, carries an incredibly weight to it, nearly causing the Gargoyle to stumble. However, the statue-like creature readies itself and continues the fight.

The Professor's strike swings true, slashing through the Gargoyle's stony skin and spraying greenish blood across the room. The creature screams in pain, the volume far more deafening than anything you've heard before. It reels in pain, and then the largest Gargoyle howls to the others, and springs forward.

All the Gargoyles charge Liam and Lindara.

The one which Liam attacked retaliates towards him, battering with stoney fists and wings. Its club-like fists hammer bludgeon the professor, but he manages to evade the wings, which get caught on the pillar beside him.

The Gargoyle Lindara was dueling attempts to catch her in its claws, and latches on with incredible force, again drawing considerable blood.

The largest Gargoyle leaps into the air, and swoops down with full force against the Professor, horns and claws extended. Liam ducks suddenly, causing the beast to crash into the pillar behind him, knocking it over. The column falls, crashing into the large reception desk. Splinters fly, likely causing Dorian to hide yet again. Worse yet, this was the pillar that the sorcerer was hiding behind.

The cautious Gargoyle rushes at Lindara from the side, clearly overcome its shyness. While she isn't looking, the creature delivers a painful bite, complete with green-grey poison.

Another, standing on the fountain, rushes the Professor from the other side. Despite being flanked, the man is easily able to dodge the Gargoyle's attack.

The last Gargoyle rushes behind the Pillar where Azoth hides, and is surprised to find him there.

OOC and Mechanics:
Enrik needs to roll a reflex save. Keep the same save for his familiar.

Both Azoth and Enrik should roll initiative as well.

Azoth's Gargoyle is flatfooted until it's next turn.

Attacks
Liam's Gargoyle Liam Fists Attack: [roll0] AC 16 HIT
Wings: [roll1] AC 16 MISS, Fumble Cannot fly until next round

Damage Fists: [roll2] Fort Save or Stun
Damage Wings: [roll3] Miss, Ignore

Lindara's Gargoyle Lindara Claws Attack: [roll4] AC 14 HIT

Damage Claws: [roll5] Immediate Grapple

Big Gargoyle: Liam Gore Attack[roll6] AC 16 (+2 charge) MISS, Fumble Crashes into pillar which Enrik hides behind

Gore Damage: [roll7] Ignore

Shy Gargoyle Lindara Bite Attack: [roll8] AC 14 HIT, critical Critical x2

Damage Bite: [roll9] Poison, Critical x2 4 damage total

Fountain Gargoyle Liam Claw Attack: [roll10] AC 16 Miss

Damage Bite: [roll11] Ignore

Initiative
Initiative: Big Gargoyle [roll12]
Initiative: Surprised Gargoyle [roll13]
Initiative: Fountain Gargoyle [roll14]
Initiative: Cautious Gargoyle [roll15]

artofregicide
2013-03-09, 09:39 PM
Initiative:

Gargoyles-

Cautious Gargoyle 21
Fountain Gargoyle 19
Bleeding Gargoyle 15
Big Gargoyle 11
Surprised Gargoyle 9
Challenger Gargoyle 4

Party-
Gull Dorian 21
Liam Morgan 17
Lindara 15 (currently incapacitated)
Enrik 3
Azoth 2

artofregicide
2013-03-09, 10:00 PM
Other Dice Rolls:
Grapple Check: [roll0]

Critical Confirmation: [roll1]

Gildedragon
2013-03-09, 10:23 PM
Liam notices the gash on the stony flesh. He barely has time to try and issue an apology before the fist connects with his body, knocking the wind out of him. He struggles to catch his breath. He clutchs at his stomach, bent over as a result of the blow.

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-09, 10:59 PM
The Damage from the gargoyles was too much for Lindara and she falls to the ground unconscious
-5 hp
Fort save [roll0]

Moonwolf727
2013-03-10, 01:39 PM
All in all, he hadn't been expecting things to go badly in quite such an abrupt fashion. Their wasn't much for it. Either he fought and risked the consequences of his actions or he could stand in place and wait for them to eviscerate both him and his new-found companions. Fight it was then.
"You don't have a fraction of the spine Ursul had and even he fell in the end."
Gull rose from his place among the, now shattered, desk and revealed his presence to the enemy. He pointed at the newest gargoyle to appear and, with far too little encouragement, a icy blue ray shot out from the tip of his finger towards it's target, it was accompanied not by a war cry but instead by a rather vicious wracking headache. "The thickness of your skull, however, continues to astound me. Just give up."

Initiative rolled on the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14865658&postcount=126)

In case I wasn't clear, I'm aiming at the gargoyle in AC18.
Roll to hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] (Half is cold damage and half is not subject to resistance at all)
If it hits the gargoyle must make a DC16 fortitude save or take a -2 penalty on attack rolls, reflex saves, and dexterity-based skill checks for 4 rounds.

Will save against Eldridtch abomination: [roll2] Success

artofregicide
2013-03-11, 09:45 PM
Enrik and his bird leap out from behind the falling pillar just in time: a moment more and they would have been crushed.

Gull Dorian's beam strikes the Gargoyle poised to strike Liam, wracking it with icy pain. The creature yelps, which sounds of splitting rocks, and begins to flee in terror, hindered by the arcane cold.

Seeing its friend flee, and still dripping green blood from Liam's blade, the bleeding Gargoyle turns and runs as well, hobbling from it's clipped wing.

The cautious Gargoyle takes a defensive stance, standing between the party and Lindara.

The surprised Gargoyle, having no idea if Azoth is an enemy or not, simply stands on guard and stares at him, only a few feet away, its breath heavy.

The Gargoyle who dropped Lindara drags her behind a pillar, and intentionally drips its venom into her unconscious mouth. She cannot resist the effect.

Venom
No save, sorry. [roll0] DEX damage (temporarily reduce DEX to 8)

Gain Damage Reduction: 2

The largest Gargoyle, unlike the others, continues the attack, ignore the staggered Liam and not noticing the sorcerer, and instead flings itself towards Gull who it sees as a now the primary threat.

It climbs from the pillar onto the reception desk, and swipes at him with its massive claws: unfortunately, the creature is a bit too quick and slashes deeply into his side before he can escape under the desk.

Gull is now bleeding, but certainly still alive and conscious

DICE:
Claw Attack [roll1] AC 16; HIT

Damage [roll2] HIT

Rjanag
2013-03-11, 10:33 PM
Enrik

Enrik curses loudly in Infernal when the other gargoyles charge into battle. Caught by surprise, he barely manages to avoid the falling pillar. When the dust clears, the sorceror's anger seems to have been replaced by panic, and he spends the next few moments of battle cowering by the pillar while the others spring to action.

"What are you doing?" the raven squawks at him. The sound brings Enrik back to attention, and he stands up and scrambles over the fallen pillar, putting it between himself and the gargoyle still glowering by the fountain. As he does so he shouts at the bird, "You want to become food? Get out of here!" Then he turns his attention on the big gargoyle at the desk--which suddenly seems far too close for comfort. Raising both hands towards the creature, he stammers a few words in a frantic voice. At first they have no effect, but when he repeats them a bolt of green light shoots towards the gargoyle. When the energy shoots out it makes the sorceror stagger back a step, almost as if he wasn't ready for it.

Rolls & mechanics

Move action: Go to AB16. Does being by the pillar and the rubble give him any cover against either Fountain Gargoyle or Big Gargoyle? Guy likes his cover!
Standard action: Ray of Enfeeblement vs. the big gargoyle
Attack: [roll0], ranged touch
On hit: Big gargoyle loses [roll1] points of Strength for 4 minutes.

If they get separate moves, then Oubliet will also fly to P10 (or as near as he can be to that general area without being in the bad wind). Or if I don't have enough actions for that, he'll stay put for now.

PowerGamer
2013-03-12, 05:03 AM
"GAAAHH!" exclaims Azoth as the gargoyles comes around the pillar. He takes a step back. "This should hold you for a little bit" He sys and then draws forth a glob of ectoplasm from the Astral Plane and throws it at the surprised gargoyle.

5 foot step to Z19
Manifest Entangling Ectoplasm -
Ranged Touch Attack [roll0]
Duration 5 rounds

Gildedragon
2013-03-14, 09:52 PM
Thanks. he gasps in response to Gull's magic.
Liam sheathes his khopesh, raising his bare hands. Stop this he calls, hopeful in resolving this without any more bloodshed. He repeated this as best he could in his pseudo-Terran. Anyone here trained in first aid; give it to Lady Lindara. He asks his comrades.

Moonwolf727
2013-03-15, 02:52 AM
Three rather large red streaks were now in a place where they had most certainly not been a moment ago. It was all too likely that this had something to do with the stone monstrosity which had just leaped towards Gull and raked its claws across his chest. Admittedly the damage was mostly superficial from what he could tell without examining it, but that hardly stopped it from hurting like nothing else.

Even thinking seemed to hurt, even though it logically shouldn't, he acknowledged that at this point he was probably dramatizing his own wounds a little. Firing another blast proved to be far easier than thinking coherently, however, and he took the opportunity to do so when it presented itself. "Easier and more convenient. Let me guide you."

Aiming at the big gargoyle by the way.
To hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1] (same damage types as before)

Will save against mind control shenanigans [roll2] Success

Rjanag
2013-03-15, 10:36 PM
Enrik

If the gargoyles keep attacking despite Liam's gesture...

"Bunch of animals, you expect them to listen to reason?" Enrik calls to Liam.

The sorceror steadies himself, not wanting to lose his footing in the middle of his spell like he did on his first attempt, and then grits his teeth and aims another ray at the large gargoyle.

Standard action: Ray of Enfeeblement vs. the big gargoyle
Attack: [roll0], ranged touch
On hit: Big gargoyle loses [roll1] points of Strength for 4 minutes.

If the gargoyles stop attacking...

When the gargoyles cease their assault, Liam begrudgingly relaxes his stance and puts some distance between himself and the nearest gargoyle. "Pieces of $@!#%&," he mutters while kicking the pillar, although the last part is only comprehensible to those who speak Infernal. "What happened to single combat? Almost got me killed..."

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-17, 09:26 AM
Lindara's next roll to stabilize [roll0]

artofregicide
2013-03-17, 02:45 PM
Surprisingly, the Gargoyles stop fighting. Primitive as they may be, they seem to recognize the seriousness of the situation, and even seem embarrassed. Even the one entangled by Azoths web of astral goo refrains from retaliating, thought it attempts to break free, unsuccessfully.

Then Gull's attack strikes their leader, provoking both pain and rage. The creature rears up to strike back at him, but calls from the other Gargoyles stop it.

The talkative challenger, who helped down Lindara, tries to communicate with Liam:

It seems to be saying that you fought well, and that they Gargoyles didn't realize they were hurting you. All of them seem to be very confused by you, as though they haven't actually seen anything like humanoids before. The creature keeps mentioning that you are "very small" or "childlike", but you can't understand why.

Regardless, you have a temporary truce.

And with that, the Gargoyle beside the bleeding Lindara picks her up, crosses the room, and takes to flight outside in the whirling storm of glass. Her sword is left behind.

Lindara:
The damage reduction given by the creature's poison negates the damage you would have taken from the glass shards. Also, since the creature's flight is... jerky and erratic, it isn't possible to stabilize.

Rjanag
2013-03-17, 03:12 PM
Enrik

Enrik starts brushing the dust from the pillar off of himself one of the gargoyles makes noises at Liam. He is caught completely by surprise when one of the gargoyles grabs Lindara and flies away with her.

After standing dumbfounded for a moment he comes to his senses and, with a flick of his wrist, sends his globes of light flying off out of the room and after the gargoyle as fast as they can, trying to keep it in sight as long as it remains within range.

"She won't last long out there," he shouts to the others, "the air is a storm of glass shards!"

OOC:
The range on the dancing lights is 140 feet, so once they go beyond that they'll blink out of existence. And the duration is only 1 minute, so I'm not sure how much time is left on them anyway.

Moonwolf727
2013-03-17, 03:27 PM
Gull was genuinely surprised when the large and most certainly powerful creature he had been assaulted by hesitated. It was a few moments later that he realized it hadn't hesitated and had, in fact, stopped attacking. Getting up and moving slowly away from the beast, Gull raised his hands slowly and tried to look apologetic for the damage he had inflicted on it.

Hearing Enrik's exclamation about the glass storm was bad enough until Gull remembered the sounds of thunder and lightning he had heard from out there beforehand. He replied "I'm afraid there isn't much we can do, none of us can fly as far as I am aware. We need to hope that these creatures know what they are doing or the lightning might get the best of them."

Moving very slowly and cautiously to Y10, Gull will stand still at the slightest protest from the gargoyle.

Gildedragon
2013-03-17, 09:00 PM
Liam nods, accepting the truce and somewhat confused by the comment.
His jaw drops when Lindara is suddenly carted off. What in blazes! he exclaims, turning to the talkative gargoyle, frantically pointing at the purloined party member.

PowerGamer
2013-03-18, 05:10 AM
Azoth takes another step back. "The flip is going on here... First they attack us and then stop and run off with Milady... Curious." Confused on why the gargoyles have backed off, Azoth keeps the one gargoyle entangled in ectoplasm.

My last 5 foot step was missed. So now moving to Z18. Still leaving the gargoyle wrapped up.

artofregicide
2013-03-20, 02:09 AM
The Gargoyles pause their attack, and regroup. It appears that despite the fact that you realize they would likely win the fight, they do not. The creatures seem highly superstitious, and terrified by your powers.

The talkative one tries to explain to Liam, as best it can:

Liam:
The Gargoyle tries to communicate: Your friend is being taken to someone for help. They are sorry that they hurt her, the Gargoyles didn't know your skin was so weak.

As well, it tries to say: Don't hurt us, we'll give you presents for fighting well.

Otherwise, the rest of them, including the large one, move away and keep their distance.

Lindara:
You are carried, unconscious for some time. You don't notice the glass shards, nor the storm, not the claws of the Gargoyle. When you awake, you will be away from the Party temporarily.

Gildedragon
2013-03-20, 02:31 AM
Liam frowns, trying to decipher the gargoyles. Slowly his eyes widen. I... see he says as he grasps the situation. They've taken Lindara for aid. They like us I think he explains to his teammates before turning to the gargoyle, hand outstretched. If this quarrel was over and due to a misunderstanding, he was more than willing to let bygones be bygones.

Rjanag
2013-03-20, 06:43 PM
Enrik

"That's some way to treat people you like!" Enrik scoffs after hearing Liam's explanation. He looks over his shoulder and whistles, and after a moment Oubliet flies back to him and alights on his shoulder.

"Why don't you ask them how to get out of here?" he says to Liam, who seems to have become the de facto translator for the time being. Enrik scratches his chin for a moment, and then adds, "Or maybe see if they know what this junk means." He holds out the embroidered bag with the symbol on it that he found in the other room, and the letter that none of them were able to read.

artofregicide
2013-03-25, 08:10 AM
The Gargoyles pile a number of objects in the center of the room, which they had apparently been carrying. Amongst them seem to be a pile of silver coins, and mostly other metal objects. These musts be "gifts", to compensate.

Regardless, the Gargoyles all flee, leaving the building and taking to wing. You have no idea where they took Lindara.

Liam studies the letter and the bag:
You somewhat recognize the script: it looks like a cross between celestial writing and elvish lettering, but you aren't able to actually read any of it, either the letter or the symbol on the bag.

Only some sort of magic, or a key for translation will help you here.

Lindara:
You awaken, just as the Gargoyle who snatched you away leaves. You find yourself healed, both in regards to blood loss and the poison (You get your HP back, and the Dex damage is undone, as is the damage reduction).

Before you stands two Giants, closer a female with golden hair and pale-blue armor, and a male with fiery red hair and black armor, tending to horse-sized dogs.

The she-Giant speaks. Her voice is cold, but non-threatening.

"You waken, traveler. The Gargoyle brought you to me, so that I could heal your wounds. They say there are more of your kind. They seem to think that you are children, as the only things like you they have seen, are... myself, and my husband."

When the wife pauses, her husband speaks up, more gregarious. His accent seems to be a strange mixture of tones, which makes his voice almost difficult to follow.

"Aye, those stone blighters bite you bad. You're lucky tah be alive. Stupid beasts didn't realize they was hurting ye! Mah wife is a fine healer, though, so you'll be fine."

As far as you can tell, the Giants are not enemies. Also, your sword is not anywhere nearby.

Picture: Wife http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a582/nerdmeister/Tavern%20Characters/valkyrie_zpsa7b8f5f2.jpg
Husband: http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a582/nerdmeister/Tavern%20Characters/uthar_zps69f5c380.jpg

PowerGamer
2013-03-25, 02:06 PM
Azoth, watches the gargoyles pile up treasures and the fly away. The adventurer inside him scream in his mind and he stepped forward to rummage through the pile.

Good ol' search check in this pile of things for anything nice and good
Search: [roll0]

---edit ---

NOOO Y U CRIT ON SEARCH CHECK SILLY FORUM ROLLER!!!!

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-26, 05:12 PM
To the Female giant Lindara turns and says, Thank you for the healing. Do you have any idea where my sword is, or how I might find my way back to where I came from?

Moonwolf727
2013-03-26, 06:03 PM
Gull moves up towards the pile of various metal objects left by the gargoyles and looks them over quietly, he avoids rummaging through it messily in an attempt to not seem overly greedy.

Sorry about the lack of posting, well..... anything. I'll get better I promise.

Rjanag
2013-03-26, 07:18 PM
Enrik

"Well, that went well..." Enrik grumbles. "So much for getting any help from those things. Time to find a way out of here..." Not wanting to expose himself to the elements again, Enrik decides to search one of the interior doors. He goes to the nearest door, only to find it locked.

"I don't suppose any of those things left us any keys in that pile of junk?" he shouts back to the others.

Moving to AL10 and inspecting the door at AM10

artofregicide
2013-03-27, 01:09 PM
Azoth moves first to the pile of treasure left behind by the Gargoyles, but is soon joined by Gull Dorian. They find that their foes seemed be carrying a great deal of wealth on them.

Search:
You find three small but valuable looking items, somewhat scratched but otherwise intact. The first is a small ring, made of silver small hands engraved along the band, each held out flat. The second is a small wand or rod, which seems to be made entirely out of blue-green translucent crystal. The third is a small and ornate dagger wrought out of green metal.

As well, you find exactly 1033 silver coins, the design and marks of which are unknown, but seem they all seem to carry the same markings, as though they were all minted instead of individually fashioned.

Regardless, they are worth the same as any other silver coins.

Enrik inspects another door, and finds this one to be sturdier, but also unlocked. It will open if he attempts to do so.

Lindara:
The female Giant thinks for a moment, then responds.

"I have no knowledge of any sword, nor do I know where you were taken from... perhaps you can help us, so we can help you."

Her husband adds:

"Bleeding stupid gargoyle... flew 'off before even telling where it got ya from. Still, I'd warn ya it isn't safe wanderin' alone har... What's ya' name, if I mah ask? I'm Uthar, and this is mah beautiful wife Valla."

Moonwolf727
2013-03-27, 01:37 PM
Gull stoops lower to the ground for a moment after seeing, and being thoroughly impressed by, the horde of coins. Not exactly a sight he was used to seeing, he wasn't sure if he ever would be. Not wanting to deprive the others, or simply to avoid being crude and obvious, he only picked up the rod and looked it over for a little bit, a quick inspection that was all. "Such wonderful craftsmanship....."

Moving to AA20.

Also, spot/search (Use whichever is appropriate) and knowledge checks to see if I notice anything about this rod/wand. I doubt it will help but I'm trying anyway.

Knowledge (Arcana) [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion) [roll1]
Knowledge (The Planes) [roll2]
Spot [roll3]
Search [roll4]

In hindsight making all of those checks seems a little excessive.

PowerGamer
2013-03-27, 02:17 PM
Azoth reach reaches for the ring and then carefully picks up the dagger (not wanting to cut himself of course). He seems to concentrate for a moment Hmmmm... Darn it... Why didn't I study more about magic auras? Speaking loud enough for the rest to hear, "Enrik, could you help me in figuring out the abilities of some items. The rest of you, there is a good share of silver waiting for you. About 200 a piece."

Why did I not take detect psionics... Oh right... I was going blaster so didn't take it :/ derp

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-27, 03:09 PM
Of course, where are my manners. My name is Lindara Halosphere, servant of Pelor. What is it that I can help you with?

Rjanag
2013-03-28, 09:03 AM
Enrik

Enrik hesitates by the door, with his hand on the knob. He had been half-hoping to find the door locked and be able to ask one of the others to open it--he didn't want to put himself in the way of another flurry of glass shards. He is relieved to hear Azoth call him back to the group.

"Let's have a look at those items, shall we?" he says as he joins the others. He utters a quick incantation, seeming much more confident about the magic than before, and starts looking over the items.

Identifying magic items takes 3 rounds of detect magic and then a Spellcraft check, right? If so, here's the check:
Spellcraft: [roll0]

Edit: I guess I need one check per item, let me know if I should roll more.

Gildedragon
2013-03-28, 10:43 AM
Liam chuckles. And what is one supposed to do with silver? he says amused. By the by, this letter seems to be encoded. I can try to decipher it. he explains getting on his feet. Once you are done ogling the lucre, we should plan how to retrieve Lindara.

Rjanag
2013-03-28, 07:33 PM
Enrik

"Do you think she's even still alive?" Enrik says to Liam, without looking up from the items he is studying. "And even if she is, we'll be torn to pieces if we step outside in that storm." He points to his cheek, where the light cuts inflicted by a flurry of glass shards in the other room are still visible. "I think we shouldn't go out in that until we've exhausted all our options in here. Who knows, there might be some sort of portal out of here--we came in through one, after all."

Gildedragon
2013-03-29, 04:59 PM
The gargoyles bear us no ill will. I do not doubt she is being taken care of; and if we find a portal it should be all of us that go through it. he says. But you have a point. We should finish exploring this building before we go out. Anything in that pile that could be of use?

artofregicide
2013-03-30, 10:41 PM
Gull Dorian and the Case of the Far Too Many Skill Checks:
Arcana: You find that the thin rod seems to not be of a normal magical nature, but is bound by some sort of supernatural energy that is beyond you.
Religion: No religious significance.
Planes: No particular Planar significant to the item
Spot and Search: Not a particularly relevant skill check

It seems that the strange crystal wand seems to be beyond you.

Azoth:
Despite not being able to identify the particular psionic aura, you know that the Dorje is such: a psionic tool created created out of specially tuned crystal in order to manifest a particular power. You are of the moment unaware of what power it manifests, only that this is what it does

Enrik:
You cannot identify the Wand. It's strange power seems beyond your understanding. It seems magical, but the aura it casts is one you do not recognize.

The Ring is far easier. You notice a hint of abjuration, the aura somewhat faded by time. Regardless, this is a Ring of Protection, simple enough. It is a relatively minor artifact, but an especially useful one. Somehow, it magically reduces the chance of harm coming to its wearer.

Finally, the Dagger seems to have a strange aura of conjuration, specifically creation magic. You aren't certain what exactly the magical effect is, but the Dagger seems to be a fine piece of craftsmanship and definitely has magical properties.

Lindara:
The Giant, Uthar, tries his best to answer Lindara's question:

"Lass, I meant that we could help ya find your way to wherever you was taken from by the gargoyle, or assist you in finding your way to wherever you mean ta go. Certainly, we'd appreciate your company either way."

His wife merely nods, and asks a different question:

"Were you alone when you were found by the Gargoyle? The beasts are highly territorial, but will back down if they feel are not strong enough to fend intruders off."

Rjanag
2013-03-30, 11:32 PM
Enrik

"Well, don't mind if I do," Enrik says as he plucks the ring from the pile. He is about to put it on his finger, but then stops. "It's protection magic," he tells the others. "Personally I find that the best protection is just not sticking my neck out in the first place."

He holds up the dagger for a moment and squints at it. "Conjuration magic," he announces. "As for what specifically it does, your guess is as good as mine." He tosses it aside unceremoniously. Finally, he points at the wand and says, "I have no idea about that one; whatever magic is on it is nothing I've ever seen."

Having learned what he can about the items, Enrik returns to the nearest door to continue his search of the area. He listens at the door for a moment--trying to hear whether there is wind on the other side, possibly signifying a breach like there was in the last room. If he hears nothing, then he gingerly opens the door a crack, ready to slam it if anything surprising appears.

Move to AL10 again and Listen at the door: [roll0]

Dark Hawk799
2013-03-31, 12:03 PM
In response to the female Giant, Lindara says, I was with some acquaintances of mine. and to the male giant she says, I was magically teleported here and my allies and I were trying to get back to where we came from. Where that is, we have no idea.

Moonwolf727
2013-03-31, 12:33 PM
It slowly dawns on Gull that he is not properly trained or attuned enough to make accurate predictions about the powers of magical objects of the like he has never seen before. "I haven't a clue what this wand does I'm afraid. Perhaps one of you understands it better than I?" After placing the wand back atop the small mound of coins he moves further down to the south-west and examines the door in front of him.

Moving to P25.

Examining the ornate door, mostly because I can't pick the lock.
Listen: [roll1]

PowerGamer
2013-04-02, 09:25 PM
Azoth looks again at the pile, now that the ring has been noted as protective and the dagger a conjurer. But the crystal wand, just something about it is in the tip of his tongue. "Dorje!" he blurts out reaching for the crystalline stick. "I knew I recognized this, it's the psionic version of a wand. It's useless to the rest of you... So I'll hold on to it and try t figure it out."

Gildedragon
2013-04-02, 10:17 PM
Liam stares conflicted at Enrik's cavalier attitude to the magical objects. Fascinating he responds to Azoth's comment. It might be wisest so. he picks the dagger up. I think I have an idea as to how to divine this dagger's properties. I'll try it tomorrow. Liam tucks the dagger into his belt and looks around.
Spotting Gull examining the door. Anything of interest here? he asks; walking over to him.

artofregicide
2013-04-06, 03:27 PM
Enrik moves to the door, and listens through. There seems to be no sign of trouble, even when he opens the door. The room seems to be strewn with rubble and debris, a collapsed bed in the corner. Despite the quantity of items on the floor, the Sorcerer does not immediately spot anything useful. There is a door on the other side of the room, but the floor there looks somewhat suspect.

Gull slinks over the another door, and examines it. At this point, he has noticed that all the doors seem to be nearly identical, which isn't uncommon, and that they are all marked by the same foreign script. Likely room numbers.

The door is in fact not looked, and opens for him without trouble. Inside, the room is very similar to the room which Enrik first explored: Bed, furniture, aging and abandoned, but against slightly better condition. Beyond the next door he can hear the clattering of glass and the sound of harsh wind.

Dr. Liam does find something interesting: inside this room is an old photograph or picture, framed, and race pictured looks very familiar to that of an elf, but they were very foreign clothing and jewelry. The picture is signed on the back, but again in the language that he cannot identify.

Taking some time to study the Dorje, he recognizes the power which it holds.
You notice that the Dorje carries an augmented form of "Swarm of Crystals" which sprays razor sharp psionic crystals in a 15 foot radius.

*Augment by +3 power points, which means it does 6d4 slashing damage

SRD Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/swarmofCrystals.htm)

Lindara:
The Giants speak amongst themselves, and then the woman turns to you:

"If you do not mind it, you should accompany us until we either reach your friends, or you find a better way to go. This place holds greater dangers than Gargoyles, after all."

With that, her husband Uthar rouses the hounds, and finishes packing up their makeshift encampment. He turns to you:

"If ya don't mind me asking, I've seen littlefolk before, but you're something new. You look like some sort of angel, if you don't mind me saying so."

Its up to Lindara to go with them, or to stay. They won't force her hand either way. You have no idea where your Party is, and no idea how long it has been since you were knocked out.

OOC: I'm gonna be reuniting you with them fairly soon, if at all possible.

OOC:
Sorry for the delay guys, and thanks for being patient! :smallsmile:

Rjanag
2013-04-06, 10:15 PM
Enrik

Enrik sighs with disappointment upon seeing that this room seems to have much less of interest than the first room he had searched. Nevertheless, he spends a moment to look over the room more closely--thinking that some useful information about their current location might be hidden among the rubble.

Once satisfied that he has searched the room sufficiently, he turns his attention to the next door. The crumbling floor across the room does not look safe. Standing in the doorway of the first room, he raises a hand towards the next door and utters a few words. His hand shaking, he focuses his concentration on the knob, and slowly it begins to turn. He gingerly pushes the door open, ready to slam the closer door shut if anything unpleasant comes out.

Staying at AL10 and using mage hand (range 35') to open the door at AS10; hopefully the extra distance will give him time to close door AM10 in time if anything comes out!

Moonwolf727
2013-04-06, 10:28 PM
Gull, fairly disappointed with his lack of door-based discoveries, moves further into the room and begins to take stock of his surroundings. He makes to search the vanity, side table and dresser for anything that might be of use or simply enlightening as to the current situation. Wiping his sleeve over the glass in order to clear some of the dust and cobwebs he inspects the condition of the vanity before moving on to the drawers as a start to the investigation. He slowly makes his way around the room checking each of the containers for objects of note or that seem out of place.

Move to L24.
EDIT: Derp, forgot that you can't preview posts with rolls in them. Actual, but no less terrible, roll in the OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15042885&postcount=179).

Gildedragon
2013-04-07, 02:24 AM
Liam examines the image before stashing it in his satchel. Even if it wasn't relevant it was a sample of some unknown script and possibly a clue as to the nature of this ruined place. Are we looking for anything in particular? he asks, joining In the search, focusing on any mechanical devices or traps that could injure his teammates.

Search: C.K.[roll0]

PowerGamer
2013-04-07, 08:19 AM
Azoth still ogling the treasure, looks up to realize everyone else has moved on. "Wait up!", he yells. He stands up and runs towards Gull and Liam. Dorje still in hand.

Runs to S24

OOC: sorry I was a little busy

Dark Hawk799
2013-04-07, 12:43 PM
To Valla Lindara saysI would gladly accompany you until I find my friends. To Uthar she just smiles.

artofregicide
2013-04-07, 09:20 PM
Enrik scouts about amongst the rubble, but finds little of interest. Returning to behind the door, he magically opens the next one, only to find that the building has largely collapsed there, and there elements run wild in the room beyond. Though even had he stood in the doorway there was no danger of being cut by flying glass, the room beyond likely holds not much more than pain and disappointment.

Gull starts searching the room that he is in, dusting the vanity. Unfortunately, either age or poor position has left the mirror unsettled, and it falls to the ground, shattering, and causing him to jump back. The floor is now covered in glass, but no one is hurt. This distraction interrupts his search.

Liam's sharp eyes scan the room for traps or other dangers, and only the broken mirror is a hazard. He finds that the place holds mostly mundane items expected in a hotel room, that is all but one thing. Carved in the wood at the end of the bed is a strange picture: nine eyes, arranged in three rows of three. He doesn't find any particular significance to this, but something about it disturbs him. It's like looking at a Demon God's banner, or the calling card of an Eldritch Horror.

Azoth catches up, only to see Gull drop the mirror. It seems that the others have searched the room and found little of interest.

Regardless, it seems that all have temporarily given up search for Lindara, their companion.

Lindara:
With that, the two Giants and three massive dogs leave their location, and begin making their way down the ruined hall in which you were dropped by the Gargoyle. It takes considerable effort to keep up, after all, they are twice your size and thus move very quickly. They aren't trying to leave you behind, this just their natural movement speed.

This may or may not be of concern, but you believe that the Giant Uthar finds you attractive. You have no idea if his wife has noticed, but provoking a domestic dispute between two Giants is highly advised against.

You don't know which way they are going, or how far to where you were before, but at least you are moving.

Gildedragon
2013-04-07, 10:00 PM
Hey guys! Come take a look at these eyes... he hollers, unable to stop looking at the creepy sigil. Tentatively pokes one of the eyes with the end of his bow; half expecting them to blink.

Rjanag
2013-04-09, 05:36 PM
Enrik

"Coming!", Enrik shouts from the other room. He shuts the door, not wanting to leave the rest of the building open to the elements, and then makes his way to the room Liam had been searching.

"This had better turn up something useful," he grumbles as he starts making the now-familiar gestures to cast a spell. "I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. Magic is no game, you know--if you play with it too much, it turns around and starts to play with you." With his grumbling out of the way, he utters the incantation and starts to look the room over, focusing especially on the sigil.

Casting detect magic (and letting mage hand drop...bye bye, invisible floating hand, it was fun!). If the sigil (or anything else) has a magic aura, here's the Spellcraft check to identify the school or whatever:
Spellcraft: [roll0]

PowerGamer
2013-04-09, 06:06 PM
Azoth stands in the doorway. Watching everyone else searching the room.

Whoops Forgot to mention moving to O25

artofregicide
2013-04-12, 03:13 PM
The marking doesn't blink, or react to physical stimuli. It's probably the scribing of a madman, or at least someone who had too much time and too much imagination.

Under arcane investigation, the room appears to be without much in the way of the supernatural, one way or another.

Again, this room seems to be mostly abandoned like the others. Clearly, the Hotel hasn't seen guests in some time, and quite possibly some of the building itself has been lost the fierce elements.

While you don't find any pirate gold nor portals to another dimension, you do suddenly hear a voice speaking behind the door beyond [I 24]. It's hard to poinpoint, much less comprehend.

Rjanag
2013-04-12, 10:53 PM
Enrik

"Nothing," Enrik grumbles, letting the magic fade away as his concentration moves away from the design. "What a waste."

He is startled by the sudden sound of a voice from the next room. He scrambles into the corner of the room. "What's that?" he asks, and waits for one of the others to take the initiative in opening the door.

To M22

PowerGamer
2013-04-13, 07:59 AM
"The heck was that?" said Azoth squeezing past his friends to get to the door. "shhhhh..." He says turning his head and putting his ear to the door to try and hear the voice again.

Move J24
Listen Check [roll0]

Honestly... why do I get all my good rolls out of battle...

artofregicide
2013-04-16, 08:16 PM
Behind the door, you hear a voice: it speaks in a language that you do not recognize. The voice sounds upset, even angry, possibly talking to itself. You only hear one voice, and a strange... sloshing noise, accompanied by a low buzzing sound.

One thing is for sure: this isn't animalistic noises, but some sort of unfamiliar language.

Should you break down the door and charge in, surely you'd surprise whoever is inside. But you currently have no idea who or what it is.

Rjanag
2013-04-18, 02:40 PM
Enrik

Feeling eager to find a way out of this inn, the usually cowardly sorceror briefly considers bursting through the door to see if whatever thing is on the other side might have any answers. But before long he notices Liam step up to start looking around, so Enrik hangs back in the corner and waits for the academic to make the first move.

Gildedragon
2013-04-18, 02:43 PM
Liam drops to the floor, face against the ground as he tries to get a look at whatever that is beyond the door.

PowerGamer
2013-04-18, 04:29 PM
Hearing the thud of a person getting down on the group and then feeling the fabric between his legs shift, Azoth looks down. To his surprise, Liam has made himself comfortable between his legs in order to look though the door.
"Hmhmm... excuse you too" He grumbles as he carefully takes a step to his right to be out of the way.

artofregicide
2013-04-20, 05:36 PM
Through the crack, a pair of legs, bare and scabby are visible. They look bloated and hideous, like that of an undead creature or some sort of abomination. As for size, they seem smaller than the average humanoid, slightly so. You can only see one pair of legs in the room, and hear only one voice.

Rjanag
2013-04-22, 01:52 AM
Enrik

"Well? What are you waiting for, old man? Open it!" Enrik says to Liam through his teeth, drawing his crossbow and pointing it towards the door.

Gildedragon
2013-05-07, 09:23 PM
There's at least one demon on the other side. Probably more. Explosive and caustic. Best to spread out. There's another door around the corner, should lead into the same area whispers Liam. Half of us there, half here... Don't let them touch you. he knew of the suicidal and group-swarming tactics of manes; the lithographs of their methods were unpleasant at best.

PowerGamer
2013-05-08, 04:52 AM
Taking a step back from the door, Azoth whispers,I'll go around the other way with another. I'll try to hamper it's movements too keep it from touching any of us. Use that time to take it down.

Move: 5ft step back to K24

Rjanag
2013-05-08, 12:32 PM
Enrik

Enrik listens for a moment as Liam Azoth discuss tactics. Then he steps forward and says ominously, "I have a better idea."

Without offering any further explanation, the sorceror stows his crossbow and moves to crouch down next to the door, putting his head against the cold floor. He reaches into his cloak and produces a small square of bright red cloth, which he begins to fold into a triangle and arrange on top of his hands. As he arranges the cloth he shuts his eyes hard and moans and winces, like a child who's just about to go through something painful and is afraid to look. The sorceror had seen nervous when casting spells before, yes, but none of those instances approached the state of agitation he was in now.

"You'd better brace this door," he says to the others after taking a moment to compose himself. "And the other one too. Otherwise..."

He waits a few moments longer, either to give the others time to move into position or just because he is too paralyzed with fear to act yet. Then, he peers under the door and begins uttering an incantation while moving his hands underneath the red cloth. As the incantation unfolds his voice gets louder, faster, and sounds more and more panicked. At the moment he reaches the last word of the spell, the red cloth crumbles into dust, and he throws his hands up over his face and looks away from the door.

OOC: Anyone who looks into the room

After the incantation ends, some squeaking sounds begin to come from the room, and soon rise to a crescendo. Innumerable bats burst out of the shadows in the corner of the room and swirl around throughout the room before congregating into a swarm, which sets itself upon the closest demon and attempts to engulf it.

OOC: Mechanics

Move to J24 and get on the floor, then casting summon swarm into the room; I'll do a bat swarm.

The duration is Concentration+2 and I plan on keeping concentrating on the spell as long as possible; does Enrik need to maintain line of sight into the room to keep the spell up, or can he concentrate without line of sight? Looking away at the end of the post was just some RP; if he needs line of sight to keep the spell up he stay where he can see into the room.

Should I roll the swarm's HP and/or damage, or is that up to you?

artofregicide
2013-05-08, 03:00 PM
Enrik casts his spell, as the others either stand back or brace the door. Regardless, the effect is quite spectacular, if not gruesome. You hear the sounds of shrieking bats, and the groaning of the Demon inside the room, as it attempts to fend of the swarm. Luckily, the monster seems little match for the swirling mass of bats, though it tries its hardest to combat them.

After almost a minute of fighting, there is a sudden and terrible explosion. The smell of sulfur and refuse lingers in the air, and the door before you is thrown from its hinges, the interior side coated with acid and studded with a few misshapen bones.

The swarm of bats is gone, bodies disintegrated by the corrosive blast. But the explosion also opened up the next room, burning through the wooden divider. You can see two large trunks on the other side, clearly locked.

In the crater where the Demon once stood, you see a strange round gem, a particularly unappealing color of green.

Gildedragon
2013-05-08, 03:22 PM
Fascinating. says Liam, covering his face against the fumes, scooping the gem into the embroidered bag. Quite an impressive display of power. I am curious though, as to the purpose of the red cloth. he asks Enrik as he walks over to the chests, examining them.

Search(traps): [roll0]

Moonwolf727
2013-05-08, 03:57 PM
"..."

Gull stands still for a moment just looking in at the state of the near-enough demolished room before moving to position himself in front of the crater. Crouching slightly to better examine the wreckage he briefly takes in the scent of acrid demonic remains by accident and almost immediately moves away again, going forward to join Liam near the chests although he does inch away from them ever so slightly upon noticing Liam's caution. "I suppose this turned out quite well in the end, though I would've liked to see the creature before it died..."

Gull twists slightly to see back into the intact bedroom and make a slightly more cheery, though still mild, comment.
"Nevertheless that was impressive spellcraft, Enrik sir. I think we all appreciate that you were willing to use something you displayed such disdain for to help us progress".

PowerGamer
2013-05-08, 06:03 PM
Shocked by the force of the explosion, Azoth's eyes open wide. This mage was skilled even if he didn't seem like it. A good ally to have on one's side incase things turned bad. He lends Enrik a hand to help him up. He then dusts some soot off himself end enters the room (avoiding any bodily bits that survived the blast). Noticing the locked chests he searches the remains of the room for anything else.

Sorry for being useless right now.

artofregicide
2013-05-08, 08:55 PM
Liam finds that neither chest seems to be trapped, but both are locked quite sturdily. Both bear a strange, two-faced insignia, seeming somewhat humanoid. One of the figures appears to be male, the other female. Both seem very young, perhaps infants, and their eyes are closed like they are sleeping. Overall, a very ornate signature, but you are not certain of the importance.

Not at all useless, Azoth finds two things of importance. The first of which is a letter, greasy and half-dissolved by acidic demon blood. It seems to be written in Abyssal. Unless you can read the language, its secrets are beyond you.

The second is the fact that there seems to be something climbing up the hole in the center of the room...

PowerGamer
2013-05-08, 09:03 PM
Picking up the letter on a "good" edge, Azoth whips it a little to get some of the acidic blood off. He turns when he does this and sees a movement from the blast hole. "Ummmmm.. Guys... Hole. Thing. Moving!" he says in a worried tone that starts soft and gets louder. With his other hand he starts reaching towards his new dorje.

Rjanag
2013-05-09, 06:42 PM
Enrik

Enrik dives behind the bed as the door flies off its hinges. He doesn't move until the others start moving into the next room, at which point he peeks over the bed and sees that the bats--not to mention the demon, are gone.

"Still afraid of your own spells, I see," the raven says, flapping back into the room and alighting on the bed. "Shove it," Enrik replies.

The sorceror follows the others into the room and surveys the carnage. When Gull mentions having wanted to see the creature, Enrik says, "You wanted to be around when this happened?" But he nods his head to acknowledge Gull's compliment.

Coming up behind Liam in the next room, Enrik asks, "So...any guess whose faces those are? Or how to open the ch--" His words are cut off by Azoth's warning. "Again?!" he shouts, in a mixture of disbelief and frustration. He runs to the edge of the hole to see if he can get a glimpse of what is coming. "I say we stop it before it gets here." With that, he conjures a new group of floating lights and sends them down the hole.

Go to G25
Cast dancing lights, then move the lights down the hole to try and see what's coming.

Assuming it's a monster, Enrik will draw his crossbow and prepare to start shooting. (I just didn't want to start firing blindly, in case it's Lindara or something!)

Gildedragon
2013-05-09, 08:00 PM
Liam laughs. This night keeps getting more and more exciting. he says, pulling out his lockpicks, working them into the chest. Let me know if you need help. he calls out.

Open lock (taking 10): 20

artofregicide
2013-05-10, 02:56 PM
Liam fiddles with the locked chest as Enrik and Azoth notice a long line of strange insect-like creatures climbing up the hole in the center of the room. Illuminated by the Sorcerer's magic, you can a fairly good look at them. They seem to have cream-white carapaces, their softer tissues blood red. Something about them looks incredibly unnatural.

Picture:
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a582/nerdmeister/Tavern%20Characters/onidemon_zps64473001.jpg

In order to identify them, one would need to either possess knowledge of the natural world (roll knowledge nature), or the supernatural (roll knowledge the planes).

Regardless, you can see about a dozen of the creatures, all about the size of a man. They seem to click to each other, in some sort of a pattern as they move.

Lindara:
Having traveled with the Giants for some time, they reach an exterior door, leading out into the glass storm. They wait until it grows calmer before moving on, towards what seems to be the ruins of an old hotel, though the building stands shakily on a jagged precipice, connected to the central plaza by a stone bridge. This whole place looks as though it had been attacked by some overwhelming power, and far below you a shifting see of glass is ominously visible.

Moonwolf727
2013-05-10, 03:53 PM
There was no end to all of this, was there? Certainly the short time Gull had spent in the hotel had been eventful, though not neccessarily pleasant in the least. One of the constants in this place seemed to be that no-matter where they were, the group was always in the presence of at least one dangerous creature. Be it Jade the troll, harmless though she may have been, the stone monstrosities from moments earlier, they seemed oddly apologetic before they left with Lindara, or the explosive demon which had only just succumbed to a swarm of bats.

And now these things. He'd quickly moved over to the hole to get a decent look at them, he could've sworn he spaced out briefly near the edge before he caught himself. Gull peered down below to make eye contact with one of the insectoid lifeforms. As it turned out, they looked rather unfriendly.
He quickly moved back to his original position before the sense of vertigo the hole produced had any chance of making him dizzy. He wracked his brains, did he know these things? He'd traveled for a while and fended off a meagre few creatures with his ill-gotten abilities, though none of them neared the calibre of what they had faced here. "Earn the right to speak of me before doing so, wretch"

...Perhaps he had seen them before, although it wasn't likely, maybe even read about them at some point?

Might as well give it a go after all. Knowledge (Nature) check: [roll0]

Please excuse the rambling, I do that now and then :smallredface:

PowerGamer
2013-05-10, 07:27 PM
Stepping up to the hole and taking a second look down the hole, Azoth realizes they are out of reach of his new toy's power. He quickly decides upon a different course of action, fire! "Sure hope this works." He says taking a breath in. He points his right hand into the hole, palm down. From his hand, 5 flaming missile fly towards the first 5 insects climbing upwards.

Augmented (1) Energy Missile (Fire)
Damage1: [roll0] (fire)
Damage2: [roll1] (fire)
Damage3: [roll2] (fire)
Damage4: [roll3] (fire)
Damage5: [roll4] (fire)
Reflex: DC 16 for half damage

Like I mentioned earlier I don't normally play casters. If I should have only made 1 damage roll let me know and just use the first one

Dark Hawk799
2013-05-11, 07:34 AM
About how far is the Hotel, and are we in the plaza or is it that we can just see it in the distance.

artofregicide
2013-05-11, 12:51 PM
Gull, wracking his brain, quickly figures out that whatever these creatures are, they are not natural to any place he's ever seen. Of course, where they are right now isn't particularly familiar, but he wouldn't be surprised if they came from the Planes.

Liam takes a small risk, but for a reward. The lock opens with a click, and the chains holding the trunk shut retract. Inside he finds what seems to be the belongings of a wealthy person: in particular, fine clothing and jewelry, and some elegantly bottled liquid, probably alcoholic. There is more packed underneath.

Unfortunately, his discovery is interrupted by a very loud noise.

Azoth takes a more proactive approach to the creatures below. His burning salvo rushes down the tunnel, exploding with significant force in the confined space. You can hear a bizarre, angry hissing sound, added to the increased clicking noises. The Kineticist sees that his attack, while somewhat effective, has been partially absorbed into the creature's armored carapaces. You can smell the disgusting stench of burnt chitin, but the creatures keep coming, despite being badly burnt.

Azoth:
You did just fine, that's exactly how the Power works. Unfortunately, they seem to be resistant to fire.

Lindara:
You are now standing on the plaza, walking towards the bridge to the Hotel. It's probably about 300-500 feet away.

You hear the sound of an explosion, and a small flash of light in the distance. You're not sure what from, but the Giants and their Hounds pick up the pace, making it a little difficult to keep up.

DM Rolls:
PRIVATE
DC 16 Reflex Half
Oni Reflex 1 [roll0] Succeed
Oni Reflex 2 [roll1] Fail
Oni Reflex 3 [roll2] Succeed
Oni Reflex 4 [roll3] Succeed
Oni Reflex 5 [roll4] Fail

Gildedragon
2013-05-11, 01:28 PM
Need help? he asks as rummages through the chest, looking for anything that may be of use: weapons, strange crystal rods, scrolls of ancient parchment, etcetera.

Rjanag
2013-05-11, 01:46 PM
Enrik

"No time for that!" Enrik shouts at the professor. "Quick, find something heavy to put on top of this!"

With that, he hurries over to the door that was blown off its hinges, grabs hold of it--trying to avoid any visible splotches of acid--and drags it back to the hole. He tosses it over the hole lengthwise so that it covers most of the hole, while still leaving an opening large enough to see through.

"That ought to slow them down!" he shouts, seeming to have gained confidence after seeing the effectiveness of his last spell. He glances around the room, hoping to find a heavy piece of debris to weigh the door down--at least for long enough to buy the psion time for a few more spells.

Grabbing the nearby door (J24) and putting it over the hole. I assume doing this will take both my move actions (one to move, and one to drag the object). But if Enrik still has a move action left, he'll draw his crossbow.

Looks like dancing lights don't require concentration, so the inside of the hole should still be illuminated (for 1 minute).

PowerGamer
2013-05-11, 01:56 PM
Upset to see his flaming missiles weren't as effective as planned, Azoth helps to place the door over the hole as it's brought forward by Enrik. After dropping to door over the hole, grinning, Azoth says o himself,"Let's try this again now, but with a twist." This time his hand releases 5 crackling bolts of electricity racing down the hole faster than it's fiery counterpart.

Assuming door has dimensions of modern door, there's 2 ft of gap to still attack through.

Aug (1) Energy Missile (Elec)
Damage: [roll0] electric
Damage: [roll1] electric
Damage: [roll2] electric
Damage: [roll3] electric
Damage: [roll4] electric
Ref DC 18

Note: Dmg & Ref changed due to switch in energy types

Gildedragon
2013-05-11, 02:02 PM
Liam begins pulling out the materials from the hefty looking chest.What is it we're fighting? he asks, pushing the chest towards the door, and the hole.

artofregicide
2013-05-12, 05:14 PM
Liam finds that the chest seems to contain two small jewelry boxes, and a larger strongbox. As well, the clothing he finds seems to belong to a female, unless the race it belonged to had very different gender-norms and anatomy. Regardless, the quality of the items seems to be very expensive. He also finds some particularly elegant stationary, including several find fountain pens. But most importantly, he finds hidden inside a silver cloth pouch some sort of amulet. It may be some sort of holy symbol, or a magical item. It carries the same two-faced infant crest. There appear to be no weapons inside the trunk better than a letter opener, but he does find a number of thickly bound books written in the unknown language.

All this time, the other three members of his Party are growing increasingly worried about the... "bug problem".

In the other room, Enrik covers the hole with a temporary cover: the door seems to hold, for now. A heavy side table is enough to help hold the barricade in place. The Sorcerer then draws his crossbow, preparing to fire down at the approaching swarm. His magical lanterns continue to illuminate the foes.

While having limited success with fire, the powerful psion unleashes a furious barrage of lightning. It appears that the insects are not very fond of it, because the first five who were first scorched by flames now loose their grip and fall back down the pit. There seem to be at least five more coming up, possible more...

Unfortunately, the creatures... seem to disappear into the walls upon which they walk, having seeing their fellows so brutally destroyed. Only a closer look (spot check) would determine how and where they have gone.

PowerGamer
2013-05-12, 06:25 PM
"HAAA!!! Take that you creepy scum!" Azoth says excited that he's found a way to beat them. But then they disappear, "Wait!... Where'd they go? Can you see them Enrik?" h say's confused peering into the hole to try and spot the little buggers to take out more of them.

Grr just as I was starting to have some fun...

Moonwolf727
2013-05-12, 06:47 PM
Gull moves back over to the hole after hearing Azoth's exclamation and peers down into the darkness. If there.were any boons he had gained over the course of his life it was surely his enhanced natural and supernatural senses. "It was certainly not my choice to grant you even another breath let alone a gift, mortal"
Gull takes a quick breather before readying himself for to attack upon spotting even a single one of the creatures "please just cooperate..."
"A death in battle is far more than you deserve"
There is No spot DC too high (I can tell where they are anyway within 30ft thanks to scent :P)
EDIT: I should learn not to boast :|

If I can see them I fire at the closest one.
Attack roll: [roll1]
Damage roll: [roll2]

If I actually see one and get to attack...
Will save vs psychotic rampage: [roll3] SUCCESS

Rjanag
2013-05-12, 10:38 PM
Enrik

"See them?" Enrik scoffs. "I can barely see anything in that hole!"

He stays near the hole, his crossbow trained on the opening in case anything appears. "I don't like this," he says. "If this tunnel was so close to the floor that that explosion broke through...then who knows how many other rooms in here those things could burrow up into."

Gildedragon
2013-05-14, 07:15 PM
Stashing the books and amulet in his satchel, Liam resumes pushing the chest into the main room so it can be used to barricade against the bugs.I've found some interesting oddities to examine later. he says. Will this beast help with whatever you got happening there? he asks, pointing at the hole

artofregicide
2013-05-15, 05:14 PM
Against all odds, the creatures seem to have vanished. While Gull is unable to look down the hole without causing feelings of vertigo, his keen sense of smell fails to pick up any kind of hint from the creatures, which did have a fairly distinct trail. It is as though they vanished into thin air. How long until they reappear, you don't know.

As there are no targets to attack, presumably no one opens fire.

Liam rejoins the other three.

Lindara:
You recognize the hotel in front of you as the place you were before, but this time you approach from the exterior. The Giants look down at you, as they hear the cackle of electricity and faint hissing noises from somewhere inside.

"You go ahead, lass. I think we might be too much for your friends all at once."

His wife and the hounds stay back on the bridge beginning at the plaza.

OOC: I've added you back onto the main map