Feats:
Extra music
Dragontouched
Dragonfire Inspiration

Items:
Badge of Valor
Masterwork Instrument (TBD)

1,200 gold to spend.
I also know extra music is sub optimal but we're allowed to retrain which I plan on doing later on after I get more daily uses.

Cheers

OMG PONIES
2013-01-30, 05:53 PM
As far as getting Dragonfire Inspiration, it would cost you an extra feat but you can snag Dragontouched from Dragon Magic. It gives you a few minor perks, among them the dragonblood subtype (which allows you to then qualify for Dragonfire Inspiration). Not only that, but it allows you to snag Draconic feats as a sorcerer of your character level so you could pick up Draconic Heritage if you wanted to change up your Inspiration damage or you could pursue other draconic feats if you like the flavor and options they provide.

In terms of your gear, I wouldn't worry too much about the harmonizing rapier with a +0 BAB and a 4 STR--you'd be waving your pretty weapon around a lot, but won't be hitting much. Instead, I'd snag a...badge of valor, I believe...that allows you to activate bardic music as a swift action (unless you're using the spell from Spell Compendium that allows you to do the same). Spend your extra cash on a healing belt and a masterwork instrument, and you'll probably find it money well spent.

Invader
2013-01-30, 07:40 PM
As far as getting Dragonfire Inspiration, it would cost you an extra feat but you can snag Dragontouched from Dragon Magic. It gives you a few minor perks, among them the dragonblood subtype (which allows you to then qualify for Dragonfire Inspiration). Not only that, but it allows you to snag Draconic feats as a sorcerer of your character level so you could pick up Draconic Heritage if you wanted to change up your Inspiration damage or you could pursue other draconic feats if you like the flavor and options they provide.

In terms of your gear, I wouldn't worry too much about the harmonizing rapier with a +0 BAB and a 4 STR--you'd be waving your pretty weapon around a lot, but won't be hitting much. Instead, I'd snag a...badge of valor, I believe...that allows you to activate bardic music as a swift action (unless you're using the spell from Spell Compendium that allows you to do the same). Spend your extra cash on a healing belt and a masterwork instrument, and you'll probably find it money well spent.

Badge of valor would be good, the reasoning behind the harmonizing rapier is not for the weapon but for the enchantment. I suppose If I picked up a badge of valor and melodic casting it would be just as good.

Dragontouched is good, I was going to take draconic heritage except for the sorc prereq.

Invader
2013-01-30, 08:27 PM
It looks like Badge of valor doesn't allow you activate your bardic music as a swift action, its just the speed to activate the item. It still takes the regular amount of time to activate bardic music.

Is this correct?

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-30, 08:40 PM
It looks like Badge of valor doesn't allow you activate your bardic music as a swift action, its just the speed to activate the item. It still takes the regular amount of time to activate bardic music.

Is this correct?

Correct, but it adds a +1 to your IC value, meaning that with your MW instrument, it provides a total of 3d6 damage to all weapons in the party, not too shabby at 1st level.

Harmonizing is a pretty good bet for a weapon. You never need to wave it around, you just get extra duration on your songs, which is handy if you want to start 'twisting'.

Later on, you'll want Song of the Heart, of course. A Vest of Legends increases your effective Bard level by +5, so that's generally good for another bump to your IC numbers.

Invader
2013-01-30, 08:45 PM
Correct, but it adds a +1 to your IC value, meaning that with your MW instrument, it provides a total of 3d6

I thought a masterwork instrument only granted the +2 bonus to perform. Where does it say it grants a +1 to inspire courage?

Amnestic
2013-01-30, 09:39 PM
I thought a masterwork instrument only granted the +2 bonus to perform. Where does it say it grants a +1 to inspire courage?

Check out the Masterwork Instruments in Complete Adventurer - they have special effects. If you're focusing primarily on Dragonfire Inspiration, then you want the Masterwork Mandolin which increases attack roll bonus (which DFI works off of) by +1, but reduces the damage roll bonus (which is irrelevant to DFI) by -1.

Masterwork Drums gets you a +1 on Damage rolls, but a -1 on saves vs. charm and fear.

Invader
2013-01-30, 09:53 PM
Check out the Masterwork Instruments in Complete Adventurer - they have special effects. If you're focusing primarily on Dragonfire Inspiration, then you want the Masterwork Mandolin which increases attack roll bonus (which DFI works off of) by +1, but reduces the damage roll bonus (which is irrelevant to DFI) by -1.

Masterwork Drums gets you a +1 on Damage rolls, but a -1 on saves vs. charm and fear.

Ahh, excellent, I didn't know that, thank you.