PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Sorc/Druid/MT - Suggestions?

Eldonauran
2013-01-30, 06:46 PM
I have a build in mind that I would like some outside perspective and ideas. We are starting at level one, so the build needs to be geared up to go from that level.

Human (Might take Racial Heritage: Elf, see druid below)

Sorcerer 4 (Crossblooded Verdant/Sylvan, Tattooed)
+spell level to Natural Armor for 1d4 rounds after casting
+Animal Companion (Druid Level = Sorc Level -3, min 1) Panther
+Familiar (Hedgehog, +2 will save to offset crossblooded. Change later)
-No 1st level bloodline power
+Varisian Tattoo (+1 CL evocation, bloodline spells get this bonus too)
-Eschew materials
+Photosynthesis at level 3 (basically ring of sustenance for free)

Druid 3/4 (3 levels, archetype suggestions?, or 4 with Treesinger w/racial heritage, for wildshaping into a plant)
-Treesinger gives wild empathy with plants, and can still use with other animals, but at -4. Can choose plant creature as companion (Treant would be very apt for roleplaying reasons). Wildshape into plants.
-Feral Child might be an alternative

Mystic Theurge
-Dm is allowing a 3rd party list of feats that give the MT more options. Like Natural Mystic (allows MT and Druid levels to stack to determine companion and wild empathy, allows 1/day use of arcane spell/slot to cast a summon spell). Ditto for familiars (another feat). Also, weaker versions of arcane synthesis and more uses.

Feats: Boon Companion (+4 to effective druid level, cap at character level)
Traits: Magical Knack (+2 to caster level) can I take this twice? Once for each? Dm is allowing two traits.

So, after all that, any suggestions? Sticking strictly to pathfinder is preferrable.

Things I don't want to hear: MT sucks, caster level sucks, no 9th level spells so build sucks, pure casters will be stronger so build sucks, use early entry shenanigans or build sucks, take celestial bloodline to stack WIS to casting, etc.

I am well aware of the lack of super-OP you can pull off with the build. The build is meant for more of a support role than super blaster/controller. I am perfectly fine being 1-2 levels of spells behind pure casters and my caster level being slightly below my character level is fine.

Eldonauran
2013-01-31, 08:18 PM
~Shameless Bump~ :smallbiggrin:

avr
2013-01-31, 10:18 PM
You can't have 2 traits from the same category, so you can't take the same trait twice, no.

A 4th level crossblooded sorcerer doesn't know and so can't cast any 2nd level arcane spells. A DM going by RAW rather than taking pity on your poor character might say you couldn't take MT at that level.

On the plus side, as a sorcerer with an animal companion you can share sorcerer spells with the companion. Pick your spells with that in mind.

Also - if you're a halfling or something you may be able to ride that panther. Possibly a useful option.

Eldonauran
2013-02-01, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the traits. Any recomendations for a 2nd one?

As far as crossblooded goes, I still gain two 2nd level spell slots and can use them perfectly well to cast my lower level spells. One can even use heighten spells to make them have the DC of a second level spell. So, one can argue both ways with RAW on that matter. If the DM decides to say I need to actually know a second level spell, well, nothing stopping me from taking my 5th level as a druid and using a feat to gain a 2nd level spell known to my list.

As a DM, I'd merely rule the character would have 1 spell known, at the minimum (as 3.5 allowed for similar mechanics of less spells known, like with battle sorcerer). Seems to be a minor oversight that this langauge was not included in the description, whether or not they have 0 or 1 spell. Whichever way my DM chooses to rule on it, I do not see it causing a major stumbling block to taking MT levels as planned.

Now, with that out of the way :smallwink: (I really appreciate your input), any feat recomendations? I'm thinking i might ask for practised spellcaster from 3.5e.

Spell selection, I was thinking about going with grease and then taking a feat for wordcasting, to give me options with blasty spells. Intensify spell at level 7, maybe.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-02-01, 01:50 AM
Have you asked for permission to play an Arcane Hierophant from Races of the Wild?

Wiz 3/Druid 3 entry
d6 HD
Med BAB
4+int skills
10/10 casting for both sides
wild shape
animal companion
dismiss familiar and give animal companion all the benefits of a familiar

Eldonauran
2013-02-01, 12:27 PM
Have you asked for permission to play an Arcane Hierophant from Races of the Wild?

Sadly, no. DM likes to stick to strictly Pathfinder material, especially (prestige) classes and only allows some 3.5e feats on a case by case basis. Besides, the wizard class (prepared arcane spells) won't fit my character concept well. :smallfrown:

Karoht
2013-02-01, 02:59 PM
Might I recommend the Half Elf Racial Heritage instead?
This gives you access to the spell Paragon Surge. Read Paragon Surge very carefully, with the feat Extended Arcana in mind, along with a host of other fun tricks you can pull off with this spell.
You basically get access to any spell known that you want, when you want.
I don't know if there exists a spontaneous casting variant for Druids, but if there is it might be worth your while to abuse the heck out of Paragon Surge.

avr
2013-02-01, 10:56 PM
If you can make that argument it'd be cheaper than spending a feat on Heighten Spell. Expanded Arcana feat to learn another spell wouldn't help, it only gives you a spell a level lower than the maximum you can cast.

The 3rd party feats are probably good buys, and practiced spellcaster has obvious use for you. If you're left with extra feats after getting those then you might well consider getting Craft Wondrous Item, and if you get that the human racial feat Inexplicable Luck (prereq of Defiant Luck feat) makes you a really good crafter while still having other use also.

Paragon surge is a 3rd level sorcerer spell which this guy can't get until character level 10 at least. Since he's starting at level 1, I wouldn't spend a feat on racial heritage to be able to use it when it comes up.

Eldonauran
2013-02-15, 04:46 PM
If you can make that argument it'd be cheaper than spending a feat on Heighten Spell. Expanded Arcana feat to learn another spell wouldn't help, it only gives you a spell a level lower than the maximum you can cast.

Actually, Expanded Arcana lets you add any spell from your spell list to your spells know. It doesn't even limit it to spells levels that you already have access to. It does allow you to add, alternately, two spells known, provided that those spells are one level lower than what your highest spell level is. (Unless there is some errata that I missed).

The 3rd party feats are probably good buys, and practiced spellcaster has obvious use for you. If you're left with extra feats after getting those then you might well consider getting Craft Wondrous Item, and if you get that the human racial feat Inexplicable Luck (prereq of Defiant Luck feat) makes you a really good crafter while still having other use also.

I found a 3rd party feat that my DM has allowed, Improved Caster Level. It adds 4 to all caster levels you possess, up to your character level. This is by far better than Practised Spellcaster. Easily abused, of course, but I won't be doing that.

Paragon surge is a 3rd level sorcerer spell which this guy can't get until character level 10 at least. Since he's starting at level 1, I wouldn't spend a feat on racial heritage to be able to use it when it comes up.

My DM thinks that racial heritage: {insert your half race}, was a bit ... odd, at least fluff wise and I tend to agree with him. Since half-elves count as both human and elves already (barring a few select that took certain racial feats to be counted as neither), he decided that a human with racial heritage: elf (or orc, for that matter), would be able to access half elf and elf racials.

So, I might end up taking this feat, but it woun't be for quiet a while. I've settled on the Druid Archetype Feral Child instead of tree singer.

Now, since I am able to completely drop Magical Knack as a trait, does anyone have a recommendation for replacement traits? Different feats?