PDA

View Full Version : Can I transfer my Item Familiar?

javijuji
2013-01-30, 07:35 PM
So I made my item familiar a Golden Warhammer. And I would like to make him adamantine later in the game. Could I "Recraft it" without loosing its powers? Can magic be transferred from one item to another?

Ravenica
2013-01-30, 08:43 PM
Assuming you are playing pathfinder you can read the specifics under the bonded item entry in the wizard section (which is to say you could transfer your bond to the new item but it doesn't retain any benefits of the old item other than those granted by the bond). There is no RAW way to transfer item properties in pathfinder but that doesn't mean you can't work something out with the dm.

If you are talking about 3.5 then I don't know :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2013-01-30, 08:51 PM
Assuming you are playing pathfinder you can read the specifics under the bonded item entry in the wizard section (which is to say you could transfer your bond to the new item but it doesn't retain any benefits of the old item other than those granted by the bond). There is no RAW way to transfer item properties in pathfinder but that doesn't mean you can't work something out with the dm.

If you are talking about 3.5 then I don't know :smallbiggrin:
If the OP is talking about 3.5 Item Familiars (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), then not really. Which isn't exactly the same thing as "no". See, it's theoretically possible that you could run across someone who has an almost identical item familiar, and who happens to be the same alignment as you, and you could trade under the True Inheritance clause... but that basically amounts to 'DM arranges something that you very specifically want that's got basically a billion to one odds', so....

javijuji
2013-01-30, 09:08 PM
I see. What about modifing the weapon. Like adding a wand slot?

javijuji
2013-01-30, 09:15 PM
And if so then what if I changed its composition 1% at a time.

On the first day I change a small part of the hilt. The next day another part and so on. Eventually it would be 100% adamantine. When did the item stop being "itself"?

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-30, 09:17 PM
Not sure about item familiars, but I often allow pcs with the resources to dump into wish/miracle to do things like this with it (modification of existing items, combining magic items, etc), if not making it some kind of plot-based reward for doing someone powerful some kind of service. But again, this comes down to DM arrangement.

Ravenica
2013-01-30, 09:19 PM
If the OP is talking about 3.5 Item Familiars (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), then not really. Which isn't exactly the same thing as "no". See, it's theoretically possible that you could run across someone who has an almost identical item familiar, and who happens to be the same alignment as you, and you could trade under the True Inheritance clause... but that basically amounts to 'DM arranges something that you very specifically want that's got basically a billion to one odds', so....

I probably should have added "and don't care" onto the end of my last sentence. I am never going back... NEVER! :smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2013-01-30, 09:24 PM
I probably should have added "and don't care" onto the end of my last sentence. I am never going back... NEVER! :smalltongue:You do realize I was basically just using your reply as a springboard to connect the conversation into something a little more linear while directly addressing the OP's question, don't you?

Ravenica
2013-01-30, 09:27 PM
You do realize I was basically just using your reply as a springboard to connect the conversation into something a little more linear while directly addressing the OP's question, don't you?

nope, just got up from a cold and sleep deprived induced nap so the world pretty much revolves around the little flashes of colour I see every time I sit up XD :smallbiggrin: which leads to me making an ass of myself in most amusing ways

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-30, 09:28 PM
Gonna have to subscribe to this thread, methinks.

Alaris
2013-01-30, 09:42 PM
Umm... RAW? Probably not.

But I'd say... talk to your DM. You can probably work out some way to recraft the item, to make it retain the sentience and abilities it originally had.

Urpriest
2013-01-30, 10:19 PM
And if so then what if I changed its composition 1% at a time.

On the first day I change a small part of the hilt. The next day another part and so on. Eventually it would be 100% adamantine. When did the item stop being "itself"?

Actually, D&D has an answer to the ship of Theseus question. It's not "itself" when all its hit points are gone.