PDA

View Full Version : Apes and Orangutans

sambouchah
2013-01-30, 08:41 PM
So I want to play an awakened Orangutan in a campaign at some point but can't find it's actual stats in any book I own. Should I just use Ape stats?

And if anyone has advice on statistics for ability modifiers(except Int, Cha and Wis) that would be great!

Ravenica
2013-01-30, 08:44 PM
See race Entry: Human :smalltongue:

Amphetryon
2013-01-30, 08:45 PM
Check Stormwrack's Hadozee.

Palanan
2013-01-30, 08:47 PM
A while ago I homebrewed some stats for an orangutan, along with a few comments on their social lives and their employment in magical research libraries. I can look up the stat block in my files if you'd be interested.

sambouchah
2013-01-30, 08:48 PM
See race Entry: Human :smalltongue:

Do orangutans not have super human strength? I assumed so but then again I only know them from what I've seen in pictures and zoos(which I do not condone, I am dragged once or twice a year to them though)

Edit: Orangutans have 6 times human strength

Ravenica
2013-01-30, 08:53 PM
Define 6 times human STR in the current abstract system. Keeping in mind the AVG human's str is 10 giving 0 bonus (I'd personally guess at 22 for a +6 bonus then but even that is pretty close to an 18STR human with a +2 racial bonus for a total of 20)

sambouchah
2013-01-30, 08:56 PM
Define 6 times human STR in the current abstract system. Keeping in mind the AVG human's str is 10 giving 0 bonus (I'd personally guess at 22 for a +6 bonus then but even that is pretty close to an 18STR human with a +2 racial bonus for a total of 20)

I assumed I would give it a +6 to Strength after reading that they have 6x human strength. That is much more reasonable than 60:smallbiggrin:

Ravenica
2013-01-30, 09:00 PM
I assumed I would give it a +6 to Strength after reading that they have 6x human strength. That is much more reasonable than 60:smallbiggrin:

heh ok then quick question, are you playing 3.5 or Pf?

sambouchah
2013-01-30, 09:07 PM
heh ok then quick question, are you playing 3.5 or Pf?

I always forget to say 3.5 in the original post! GAHH! And is a +2 LA acceptable? I have one class level(Barbarian) and two awakened HD. I didn't give him the Ape HD because he was awakened as a baby(1/4 HD I believe?)

Ravenica
2013-01-30, 09:17 PM
Ah if it's 3.5 then I can't much help

for Pathfinder I'd just let the player use Human with a slightly modified Dual Talent alternate racial trait (both bonuses to str for +4) or a 10 point buy custom race so there was no need for LA

Amphetryon
2013-01-30, 09:18 PM

As I read it, that makes Orangutan stronger than the SRD'S Ape entry, which I always presumed was supposed to represent Gorillas.

Do you believe this presumption is incorrect, or do you posit that Orangutans are stronger than Gorillas?

sambouchah
2013-01-30, 09:21 PM
As I read it, that makes Orangutan stronger than the SRD'S Ape entry, which I always presumed was supposed to represent Gorillas.

Do you believe this presumption is incorrect, or do you posit that Orangutans are stronger than Gorillas?

In the MM it says that an Ape is fiercer than a gorilla. But I also didn't see the gorilla entry so I used Ape anyway.

KillianHawkeye
2013-01-30, 09:24 PM
Well a Strength score of 23 corresponds to six times the carrying capacity of a Strength of 10 Human. Although if you consider an orangutan to be Large sized like the D&D Ape, they can pull it off with only an 18.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-01-30, 09:24 PM
Please tell me he's going to have a few ranks of Profession (Librarian) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Librarian_%28Discworld%29#Librarian).

I'd base it on Baboon stats, rather than Ape-- the ape is Large sized, and is probably supposed to be a gorilla or Robert E. Howard-esq super-ape. Maybe give it some strength bonus, and trade some speed for an extra 5 feet of reach.

sambouchah
2013-01-30, 09:31 PM
Please tell me he's going to have a few ranks of Profession (Librarian) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Librarian_%28Discworld%29#Librarian).

I'd base it on Baboon stats, rather than Ape-- the ape is Large sized, and is probably supposed to be a gorilla or Robert E. Howard-esq super-ape. Maybe give it some strength bonus, and trade some speed for an extra 5 feet of reach.

The orangutan librarian from Colour of Magic???:D I love him!!!
And I dunno if this changes much but he is a Bornean orangutan which I believe are bigger than the Sumatran.

Psyren
2013-01-31, 01:20 AM
Check Stormwrack's Hadozee.

This; it's way easier than monkeying with the Awakened rules.

Ravenica
2013-01-31, 01:22 AM
This; it's way easier than monkeying with the Awakened rules.

I see what you did there