PDA

View Full Version : Players using the same character. Over, and over and over again. TL;DR included!

NOhara24
2013-01-31, 12:44 AM
Hello Playground!

After a bit of a hiatus from D&D, I'm getting ready to get back into and I'll be starting my second campaign soon. I'm excited; I've got experienced players, new dice and a solid time slot to play in week-to-week. That being said, there is one thing that I can see becoming an issue.

In the past, I have played in campaigns where the DMs have been apprehensive about killing a character unless it was a misstep on their end. When I am DMing, that will not be the case. I'm not a killer DM, but if an enemy gets a lucky crit on you in what was supposed to be an easy fight, that's how it is.

Onto the issue at hand. I've received word that one of my experienced players has used the same character in every D&D campaign that she's ever played in. Obviously we as players are more fond of some characters than others, and there is some novelty in playing an old character again. But she has quite literally not played any other character.

I'm worried that if this character dies, that she'll drop from the campaign. Quality players aren't exactly easy to come by around these parts. Barring myself somehow talking her out of playing her recurring character, does anyone have any experience in this? What did you do/change to make it work?

I'm aware that death in 3.5 is pretty much a revolving door once the players get to a certain level, but I'm worried about before that.

TL;DR I'm worried that one of my players won't be able to cope with her recurring character dying if it happens, and I'm not shy about killing characters. Help.

ArcturusV
2013-01-31, 12:54 AM
Hmm. Usually this is a danger sign. I've run into similar players before. It was usually something like the guy who's brother/mother was their DM, ran Monty Haul campaigns, and they want to bring that into all games and generally don't play well in groups.

I hope that is not the case here. If it is it might be irredeemable.

Something I would suggest trying if that isn't the case though? Ask her if she may play another character with an understanding. The way I do ease people into playing new characters/concepts (especially if what they usually would play isn't really going to work well with my group), is if they are willing to have their old character as an NPC of note.

Maybe her old character can be some NPC duke, if appropriate, that the players may run into from time to time. Even allow her to play the NPC's role when s/he comes into play. Or be of the offspring of said character, etc.

This allows them to know their character EXISTS, and will be safe. And they can have them show up occasionally. They might even be excited for it. Running the "Son/Daughter of..." angle can let them play a similar character without being overly attached to it due to a lack of experience with the character.

NOhara24
2013-01-31, 01:01 AM
This is a great idea...I'll have to get some background on the games she's played before though. I doubt the family member DM scenario existed just because I know a bit about her character's hobbies outside of battle and I can imagine it would be a bit awkward roleplaying that in front of family.

But I'll certainly run that idea by her and see if I can talk her into it. Either that or maybe ask her to play a different character for a few weeks and then tell her she can switch to her usual if she's really not liking it. Would that work?

ArcturusV
2013-01-31, 01:07 AM
Sure.

Might also want to take the route I usually do with completely new players to a game/system.

Where instead of telling them to roll up something new I run through a few questions. Things that let you hone in on what they find interesting. Then when you get the answers from her you can suggest something that is not her old character that fits her answers. It has your best chance of success on that if you can suggest something that you know she will like, based on what answers she gave you.

Some people just don't really realize what all they would like until it's pointed out to them.

Newoblivion
2013-01-31, 11:03 AM
Tell the players that you want to meet them before the game because you wish to lay down some ground rules before they create their characters. At this meeting give them the info they need to create their characters, ("we are playing at Cormyr, the year is 1358, etc'"), then tell them about yourself. What kind of DM are you? what are your house rules? what do you like? what you don't like? and that their characters might die.

Let the players do their thinking. If she decides to go for the same character then good for her. But she knows what can happen. If she don't wanna risk it she will make a different character or she will drop before the game started and it will save you a lot of drama in the middle of the campaign.

Either way I make this meeting each time I start a new campaign so that the players will know what they are headed for.

Psyren
2013-01-31, 12:34 PM
Tell all your players up front that the campaign will probably be dangerous. Subtly encourage them to roll backups.

hymer
2013-01-31, 12:45 PM
Don't you have options for bringing back the dead in your game, and make this problem go away?

Anyway, I have a player who plays a variation over the same theme (elf ranger). He's a great guy and a good player, if a tad indecisive. The closest I come to thinking it a problem is that others might want to try filling that particular role. But there has been no conflicts so far.
I don't see much of a problem with having a favourite kind of character.

Kol Korran
2013-01-31, 01:13 PM
I'm on the same train of thought as hymer on this one. I see no problem for her to play her character. If she dies, then:
a- try to persuade her to play a different kind of character, or...
b- she can roleplay the same themed kind of character, with some minor changes here and there. or...
c- if she is realy insistent on playing her character, turn it into a side quest, for the party to try and raise/ resurrect her! be a bit more creative and fancy then the normal spells (or just have a cleric who casts them to ask for a "favor") in the meantime, have her play some temporary character, maybe that will open her up a bit?

I've seen players who go for the same kind of character over and over again. it doesn't mean they are uncooperative, danger to the group or the game, anti social or whatever. it just means that they really, really like to play this character. why deny them their fun?

However, I do agree that it's but fair to tell everyone the risks (and advantages) playing with you as DM. I might suggest to try and talk with this player about this issue, understand WHY she likes playing this particular character so much, and maybe that will help find a more suitable solution...

good luck! :smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2013-01-31, 01:20 PM
I can understand the attraction of keeping to a character archetype which appeals to you. Some people only play spellcasters, for instance; for them, switching from prepared to spontaneous spellcasting may represent unfamiliar territory. Personally, I like the Rogue class a lot. But that doesn't mean I play the same character. Some of my Rogues are purely focused on combat. Others specialize in everything but combat. For some, the focus is on gaining and using magic (via race, feats, and especially Use Magic Device). Still others are indifferent to everything else, and only care about acquiring wealth. For me, the appeal of the class is that I can make all these different types of characters.

If sticking to the familiar is what this player desires, you might suggest a minor variation. Make a similar character, but with a slightly different emphasis: maybe a different race, and different skill selections. Take a bit of effort to go over options at level up time. Baby steps.

NOhara24
2013-01-31, 01:31 PM
I wasn't expecting this thread to get so many replies!

All of this is great advice. I'll make it abundantly clear that death is very much a possibility in my campaign, but no moreso than it usually is in 3.5. Hopefully that will ring a bell in her head and make her roll an alt of some kind.

That being said, I of course have no problem with her being resurrected if her character does die, but I'm going to do it by the book. They'll either have to do it themselves or find someone and pay for it; obviously this won't really be an issue the longer the campaign goes on.

But the concern remains, I'm just worried about a potential ragequit on her end. Which I guess I won't be able to discern if she's that type until the party actually gets together and hashes out characters.

ArcturusV
2013-01-31, 01:34 PM
Yup, that's always the danger with playing "the same character" vs "the same archetype". The guy who plays the same archetype will just roll up "Bob the Ranger II". The guy who plays the same character will complain that you are an evil prick and killed off X years of RPing and working out this character, etc. I know I've had players tell me I "CAN'T!" just kill off a character because they poked the bear... er... dragon... er... high level outsider... and the dice/rules came out that way because they put so much time into their character and it was wrong to ask them to throw that away, etc.

While I appreciate that, I usually point out that Excitement tends to come from Drama comes from Risk. Risk comes from Consequences. Ergo, no consequences? No excitement.

Felandria
2013-01-31, 01:39 PM
This may just be me, but what's to stop them from, in the next game, just saying something to the effect of "She undied."

After all, there are infinite dimensions.

javijuji
2013-01-31, 01:49 PM
I've had this happen in some of my sessions. As a rule of thumb I have no problem with someone reutilizing a character concept. But the story has to be different. You are not the same character. Which is why I ask them to write down background story and describe themselves.

Krobar
2013-01-31, 02:00 PM
We all do this to have fun. And with that in mind I would not tell someone they can't play a character they love.

HOWEVER, when a new campaign starts, we generally will start at a bit lower level than that character (usually level 3-5) so I recommend rolling up a new one, and playing it until the party is at an appropriate level for that person's older character to come along and join the party, at which time the player can retire the newer character or something.

That gives them a chance to get to love a newer character, and gives them a chance to get to know your DM style before they just put the fate of that most beloved character in your hands. This approach has worked well for us.

only1doug
2013-01-31, 02:16 PM
Believe me, i have seen worse, I once GM'd for guy who insisted that his every charactr was called "Bertie Banana" we tolerated it for awhile but when we were playing a modern era game we insisted that the name was inappropriate... we never saw him again.