PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Ideas

sambouchah
2013-01-31, 12:15 PM
So I have a blog(in signature) and basically I create builds that are usually based on a character from a Television series, movie or book. I can NOT think of one for a Paladin. Any people you guys/gals think could be Paladins from T.V. and movies?

Thanks in advance, Sam

Peelee
2013-01-31, 12:18 PM
So I have a blog(in signature) and basically I create builds that are usually based on a character from a Television series, movie or book. I can NOT think of one for a Paladin. Any people you guys/gals think could be Paladins from T.V. and movies?

Thanks in advance, Sam

....Obi Wan Kenobi? He's pretty much the quintessential Paladin. Everything in the description of the class fits him pretty perfectly.

sambouchah
2013-01-31, 12:21 PM
....Obi Wan Kenobi? He's pretty much the quintessential Paladin. Everything in the description of the class fits him pretty perfectly.

OH MAN WHY COULD I NOT THINK OF OBI WAN????? *Facepalmx2*
I kept thinking of Darth Vader as like a BlackGuard or something but Obi Wan is much better! 20 points for you friend.:smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2013-01-31, 12:22 PM
The Dresden Files (the books) has Knights of the Cross, who're about as paladin-y as one can be.

ArcturusV
2013-01-31, 12:29 PM
And for a different, but equally valid, view of a Paladin as someone who DOESN'T have a standard 10 foot pole stuck up their backside...

Jesse James Dawson.

http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Details-Jesse-James-Dawson/dp/0451463439

His backstory? Well he was something of a punk. His brother had a kid who was very, very sick. In desperation his brother sold his soul to a devil in order to have his kid cured.

But the brother found out that what he gave up was a price far too dear. He wanted out of it. So Jesse James Dawson did some reading. Found out he could challenge the Devil to a fight in order to win back his brother's soul. Did so (Foolishly), but managed to survive and win.

After that he became a "Champion". Someone who earns back the souls of those who sold them in bargains. He has his honor, which is very important to him. He fights the good fight and crusades against literal evil. But he's also a lot more relaxed than "typical" paladins. Actually has a loving wife and daughter. Isn't opposed to going and having a beer with his friends or something. Actually has to work a day job because being a Champion of Good against Evil basically just barely covers his medical bills after thrashing around with a demon.

Plus it was jut a fun series of novels to read.

Peelee
2013-01-31, 12:37 PM
OH MAN WHY COULD I NOT THINK OF OBI WAN????? *Facepalmx2*
I kept thinking of Darth Vader as like a BlackGuard or something but Obi Wan is much better! 20 points for you friend.:smallbiggrin:

I assume you'll want to avoid overusing any specific show or movie form being over=represented, but Vader would be an excellent blackguard with Obi-wan being the paladin. Thematically and all.

Snowbluff
2013-01-31, 12:40 PM
I assume you'll want to avoid overusing any specific show or movie form being over=represented, but Vader would be an excellent blackguard with Obi-wan being the paladin. Thematically and all.

I that's the case, everyone else must be commoners. I would explain why the troopers can't hit anything.

sambouchah
2013-01-31, 12:45 PM

I just found a thread that says Psychic warrior is a better choice for a Jedi. And what would I do instead of the mount?

Bearlock
2013-01-31, 12:47 PM
The Dresden Files (the books) has Knights of the Cross, who're about as paladin-y as one can be.

This. You want a Paladin with a katana? Look no further. RIP, Shiro. You will be missed.

Don't know if you are using Pathfinder at all, but Holy Gun (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/holy-gun) Paladin. Hello Roland Deschain.

sambouchah
2013-01-31, 12:48 PM
This. You want a Paladin with a katana? Look no further. RIP, Shiro. You will be missed.

Don't know if you are using Pathfinder at all, but Holy Gun (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/holy-gun) Paladin. Hello Roland Deschain.

3.5e is what I play. I sometimes look at all the pathfinder stuff though

Erasmas
2013-01-31, 12:51 PM
Also... Solomon Kane fits pretty well, I think. I bit on the shady side of a paladin, but I think he works.

Peelee
2013-01-31, 12:55 PM
I just found a thread that says Psychic warrior is a better choice for a Jedi. And what would I do instead of the mount?

It would also fit, if you like Psions (I do not). Paladin still fits, however, especially since Jedi draw their power from the Force, not from unlocking it in their own minds (which equates it to a Divine-source, in my mind, much like how Druids get their divine powers from nature). Also, I'm not sure how well the Psychic Warrior is with healing, where Jedi and Paladins both do quite well (you could argue the first thing Obi-wan did in Ep. IV was use Lay on Hands with Luke).

sambouchah
2013-01-31, 12:59 PM
It would also fit, if you like Psions (I do not). Paladin still fits, however, especially since Jedi draw their power from the Force, not from unlocking it in their own minds (which equates it to a Divine-source, in my mind, much like how Druids get their divine powers from nature). Also, I'm not sure how well the Psychic Warrior is with healing, where Jedi and Paladins both do quite well (you could argue the first thing Obi-wan did in Ep. IV was use Lay on Hands with Luke).

Psiwar/Paladin multi-class? I am also still trying to think of an alternate for his mount. Maybe giving him an enchanted weapon of some sort?(to stand as his lightsaber)

ArcturusV
2013-01-31, 01:03 PM
Well, there's a lot of ACFs for Mounts out there if I remember. Mostly because most Paladin players don't like their mounts, or aren't in adventures to really use 'em.

http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/paladins-handbook.html

The link someone once tossed me. Toapat I think?

As another simple, common one that came to mind? Captain Marvel from the DC Comic Book Universe.

He's even more of a "Boyscout" than Superman, easily. And unlike Superman doesn't have superior alien biology and "just because" as a reason but is actually blessed by the Greek Gods.

Plus... SHAZAM!

Peelee
2013-01-31, 01:04 PM
Psiwar/Paladin multi-class? I am also still trying to think of an alternate for his mount. Maybe giving him an enchanted weapon of some sort?(to stand as his lightsaber)

Crap, I did completely gloss over his mount. Maybe a dragonel or pegasus, to cover the small, personal spaceships they get in the prequels? Tha'ts tricky.

Crake
2013-01-31, 01:05 PM
King Arthur and pretty much any knights of the round table could probably be put together as a paladin? There are plenty of TV shows about it too, just take your pick.

sambouchah
2013-01-31, 01:13 PM
Well, there's a lot of ACFs for Mounts out there if I remember. Mostly because most Paladin players don't like their mounts, or aren't in adventures to really use 'em.

http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/paladins-handbook.html

The link someone once tossed me. Toapat I think?

As another simple, common one that came to mind? Captain Marvel from the DC Comic Book Universe.

He's even more of a "Boyscout" than Superman, easily. And unlike Superman doesn't have superior alien biology and "just because" as a reason but is actually blessed by the Greek Gods.

Plus... SHAZAM!

Two thing about Captain Marvel. A.) He is my absolute favorite superhero from DC. and B.) my dad states devoutly that Captain Marvel's name is "SHAZAM" but he's wrong and doesn't believe me!

And I actually wrote black atom down on a note card the other day.

ArcturusV
2013-01-31, 01:21 PM
There's a reason why "Clash" was my favorite episode of Justice League Unlimited when it was on TV.

Both Captain Marvel being a boyscout, AND superman being a prick all at once. And glorious bastard Lex Luthor.

Bearlock
2013-01-31, 01:46 PM
I really hate to be that guy, but I'm going to. Pathfinder solves all your problems guys.

Also... Solomon Kane fits pretty well, I think. I bit on the shady side of a paladin, but I think he works.

THIS is Solomon Kane. Pathfinder Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor) class. A hunter of evil, who can destroy it, and you know, actually HUNT it.

I can't get this to work at the moment but google "pathfinder iconic imrijka" for a look. You'll know what i mean

Pathfinder Paladin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin)

a little excerpt from the PF SRD on the paladins divine bond ability

Upon reaching 5th level, a paladin forms a divine bond with her god. This bond can take one of two forms. Once the form is chosen, it cannot be changed.

The first type of bond allows the paladin to enhance her weapon as a standard action by calling upon the aid of a celestial spirit for 1 minute per paladin level. When called, the spirit causes the weapon to shed light as a torch. At 5th level, this spirit grants the weapon a +1 enhancement bonus. For every three levels beyond 5th, the weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +6 at 20th level. These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon bonuses to a maximum of +5, or they can be used to add any of the following weapon properties: axiomatic, brilliant energy, defending, disruption, flaming, flaming burst, holy, keen, merciful, and speed. Adding these properties consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property's cost (see Table: Melee Weapon Special Abilities). These bonuses are added to any properties the weapon already has, but duplicate abilities do not stack.

Bearlock
2013-01-31, 01:50 PM
Two thing about Captain Marvel. A.) He is my absolute favorite superhero from DC. and B.) my dad states devoutly that Captain Marvel's name is "SHAZAM" but he's wrong and doesn't believe me!

And I actually wrote black atom down on a note card the other day.

Completely off thread topic but relevant to this, take a look (http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/265-mohammad-f-haque)

Greenish
2013-01-31, 02:03 PM
Psiwar/Paladin multi-class?Sir Wisdom the SAD (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7194308&postcount=3) is not exactly a Psiwar/paladin, but is pretty close, and should make a rather nice Jedi.

my dad states devoutly that Captain Marvel's name is "SHAZAM" but he's wrong and doesn't believe me!He's not the only one. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IAmNotShazam) (Warning, link to Tv Tropes.)

Khedrac
2013-01-31, 02:34 PM
The absolute novel paladin archetype is Paksenarrion from the books by Elizabeth Moon.

Historically the word meant a knight of the court of Charlemagne so the traditional stories of King Arthur's knights are quite a good place to start - particularly Sir Galahad.

A different take in novels is Bahzell Bahnakson from the books by David Weber.

Amphetryon
2013-01-31, 04:24 PM
Nobody remembers this series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Gun_%E2%80%93_Will_Travel)? Or even the theme song from it, as sung by the cast of Stand By Me?

Flavel
2013-01-31, 05:23 PM
Dudley Do-Right?

T.G. Oskar
2013-01-31, 05:42 PM
If you're asking for a Jedi, do a gestalt between Soulknife (do your own lightsaber!!) and Divine Mind (for the powers and Divine Grace), get the mantles that pull off those. Or, better yet, a PsyWar with the Call Weaponry and Mantled Warrior feats (sacrifice some bonus feats for the ability to use different powers). Tap and Don Mantle for the Energy mantle, then find one mantle that grants telekinetic powers. That should do it.

Captain Marvel, IMO, might be Lawful Good, but he has the same power potential of a Wizard, so that makes him unsuitable.

If you're not that disheartened by lack of divine spells, attempt to do a Paladin build from Captain America. He's LG, stands for ideals beyond those of his own country, and is the go-to source for a Shield build. Just remember to give him an Adamantine Heavy Shield and you're set.

Also agree on the Knights of the Cross. They're pretty close to a modern-day group of Paladins, but without the regulation-required stick. They can be done in d20 Modern, so all you need to do is figure how to back-trace this to D&D.