PDA

View Full Version : Disregard

killer_monk
2013-01-31, 12:29 PM
Retracted until which time this becomes legal.

PEACH
2013-01-31, 03:52 PM
Well one major complaint is that as far as I know, D&D 5e isn't out.

Ignoring that, it's formatted such that it's really hard to tell what you're going for... but asking us to PEACH for an unreleased system is problematic.

killer_monk
2013-01-31, 07:14 PM
Retracted statement

Zireael
2013-02-01, 10:56 AM
As far as I know, you're not allowed to publish any homebrew for D&D Next.

killer_monk
2013-02-01, 11:36 AM
Retracted statements

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-02-01, 06:23 PM
Haven't seen much of Next yet, but HOLY DEAD LEVELS BATMAN. 13 abilities over 20 levels, 4 of which are at level 1, 3 at 11, and 2 at 20. That leaves 4 abilities for the other 17 levels. O_o

Many if these "abilities" are small passive things and/or improvements of small passive things. You only ever get 3 non-passive abilities. Urgh.

I hope this is not indicative of Next's design, because the class has a glut of dead levels and few tempting, fun abilities.

Also, I wouldn't recommend doubling Devil Trigger for those races, as it's a huge discouragement to other races to take this class. I'd go no highs than +1 round for such races, and I'd recommend cutting that clause completely. Base classes shouldn't give race-specific advantages in core features.

vasharanpaladin
2013-02-01, 06:43 PM
Haven't seen much of Next yet, but HOLY DEAD LEVELS BATMAN. 13 abilities over 20 levels, 4 of which are at level 1, 3 at 11, and 2 at 20. That leaves 4 abilities for the other 17 levels. O_o

Many if these "abilities" are small passive things and/or improvements of small passive things. You only ever get 3 non-passive abilities. Urgh.

I hope this is not indicative of Next's design, because the class has a glut of dead levels and few tempting, fun abilities.

You will be SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED. :smallmad:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-02-01, 06:50 PM
You will be SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED. :smallmad:

If by "disappointed" you mean "inspired to pull out my old d20 revision notes and take another crack at nailing down a strong framework," then yes. :-P

killer_monk
2013-02-01, 11:41 PM
Retracted statement

vasharanpaladin
2013-02-02, 03:06 AM
If by "disappointed" you mean "inspired to pull out my old d20 revision notes and take another crack at nailing down a strong framework," then yes. :-P

...Yeah, there's that. They're talking about "legacy" crap after 10th level. Which has been in the associated articles so, y'know, no NDA or anything about that.

But yeah, dead levels EVERYWHERE.

killer_monk
2013-02-03, 01:16 AM
Retracted statement

killer_monk
2013-02-04, 06:32 PM
Retracted statement

killer_monk
2013-02-08, 11:37 AM
Retracted statement

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-02-08, 07:15 PM
First of all, this is a class with many ongoing or triggered bonuses. It has a lot of different, strong bonuses but still ends up with dead levels. Have you considered instead of a huge bonus to give an incremental bonus that increases over specific levels? That would cover the dead levels without absolutely requiring a new ability at every class level.
For example an ability that says "double your dexterity bonus to AC" would now say "double your dexterity bonus to AC, with the total bonus limited to your Demon Slayer level". This would mean no dead levels for this ability as each subsequent level would increase the cap - and thus the bonus.

Secondly, the class has a lot of pure "number buffs". This can cause stat inflation compared to other classes for one thing. For another, "number buffs" are static - the player doesn't actually perform a new cool move with them; they simply make the old moves he has had for a long time slightly more powerful.
Consider including more maneuver-style abilities. Instead of numerical buffs, those could impose status effects or deal damage or perform utility abilities.

For example, an ability to perform impressive jumps would give any melee character much-needed mobility in combat. Or an ability to perform suppressive fire - shooting enemies to slow them down/stun them/set them up for finishing moves rather than damage.

killer_monk
2013-02-09, 12:34 AM
Retracted statement

Chaos_Laicosin
2013-02-09, 04:42 PM
As far as I know, you're not allowed to publish any homebrew for D&D Next.

This is correct, read the Online Playtest Agreement: http://dndplaytest.assets.wizards.com/documents/OPTA.pdf

You agree not to copy, excerpt, distribute (either in physical or digital format), publish, display, disseminate, release and/or transmit, in whole or in part, or create derivative materials from any Playtest Materials provided to you."

killer_monk
2013-02-10, 02:31 PM
This is correct, read the Online Playtest Agreement: http://dndplaytest.assets.wizards.com/documents/OPTA.pdf

You agree not to copy, excerpt, distribute (either in physical or digital format), publish, display, disseminate, release and/or transmit, in whole or in part, or create derivative materials from any Playtest Materials provided to you."

Thank you for pointing this out. I will be retracting my information until which time it is permitted.