PDA

View Full Version : So I cast the spell!... Did it work?

Ranting Fool
2013-01-31, 03:29 PM
Hi there a few random questions for the Playground.

1) RAW does the caster know if his/her/it spell worked? Caster X casts Dominate mind do they know if it works or fails or can the target (assuming they passed a Spellcraft check) fake like the spell worked. Spells like Sleep, Hold Person, Charm ect all have effects that might be fake-able.

2) Are there any Non magic really BIG Giants. Gargantuan or Colossal in the Monster Manuals or is it just add racial hit dice to hill giants until they get bigger?

Elderand
2013-01-31, 03:35 PM
given that there is a race with the specific ability to fake it (the jaebrin) I'd say that by default the spellcaster would know wheter it work or not.

For 2: closest I know of is the mountain giant at colossal size whose only magical quality is the ability to summon other giants

Rijan_Sai
2013-01-31, 04:06 PM
Succeeding on a Saving Throw: ...Likewise, if a creature's saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell, such as charm person, you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when a creature succeeds on saves against effect and area spells.

From Player's Handbook, pg 177.

So yes, on targeted spells, you do know whether they are affected or not.

AntiTrust
2013-01-31, 04:50 PM
given that there is a race with the specific ability to fake it (the jaebrin) I'd say that by default the spellcaster would know wheter it work or not.

For 2: closest I know of is the mountain giant at colossal size whose only magical quality is the ability to summon other giants

I think there's a feat that lets you do it too, its a bluff check I think

herrhauptmann
2013-01-31, 05:15 PM

Yup, complete scoundrel.

I got no idea on the giant question, sorry.
Could just homebrew your own giant if you wanted. Give it X HD, which determines things like feats, bab, and skills. Give it elite or standard array of stats.
Then determine CR by how 'good' your feat choices are. If you give it Toughness four times, should probably drop its CR compared to a giant with Leap Attack, Power Attack, and a 2handed weapon.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-31, 07:24 PM
Dominate establishes a telepathic link through which the caster may give orders. That makes it pretty easy to check: you're either notified that the link has been established or you try sending an order and see if you get a response.

There's also a DC 15 Sense Motive check which any character may attempt to determine if someone is under the effect of Dominate or a similar effect. The DC is 15 for Dominate, 25 for Charm.

There's also a spell somewhere which allows a creature to fake it, I just don't know the source..

Jack_Simth
2013-01-31, 07:28 PM
There's also a spell somewhere which allows a creature to fake it, I just don't know the source..

Disobedience, Complete Scoundrel. The material component is slightly amusing for me.

Cruiser1
2013-01-31, 08:11 PM
The False Pretenses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#falsePretenses) Spelltouched feat also makes a charmer/dominator think you've failed your saving throw.

herrhauptmann
2013-01-31, 11:24 PM
Disobedience, Complete Scoundrel. The material component is slightly amusing for me.

A scrap of tin.
I'm sorry, I'm not getting the joke. Tinfoil hat maybe?

Flame of Anor
2013-02-01, 01:17 AM
A scrap of tin.
I'm sorry, I'm not getting the joke. Tinfoil hat maybe?

Yeah, tinfoil hat.

The Viscount
2013-02-01, 04:36 PM
The only Giant I can find that is bigger than Huge is the Mountain Giant as mentioned by Elderand, and it is indeed not very magical. You can, as you mentioned, advance up some other Giant in HD until it becomes Huge. Alternatively, you could find something bigger than Huge and apply the half-troll template, if you really need it to be a Giant.