PDA

View Full Version : Any (good) movies with a similar style as Mad Max?

Jeivar
2013-01-31, 04:06 PM
The first two movies suddenly popped into my head, and I started wondering what other movies might provide a similar experience. I don't think I've ever really seen another gruesome post-apocalypse action thriller like that, except crappy C-movies. Is there anything else that provides that bleak feeling of breakdown and savagery?

comicshorse
2013-01-31, 04:52 PM
' The Road '

Brewdude
2013-01-31, 05:27 PM
Blood of Heroes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MQT2X2/ref=atv_feed_catalog?tag=imdb-amazonvideo-20) usually comes to mind when this topic is brought up.

Nobody carries the dogboy.

The original "Death Race 2000"

Kindablue
2013-01-31, 06:49 PM
Planet of the Apes spoiler:
Planet of the Apes maybe?

khoregate
2013-02-01, 09:46 AM
I beg of you Do NOT watch the road !!

and definately dont read the book

Johel
2013-02-01, 12:57 PM
A Boy And His Dog, which is more cynical than heroic.
Much less action but the lawless post-apocalyptic feel is there.

Waterworld, which despite some critics is actually fun to watch.

Cyborg, with Jean Claude Van Damme.

Those are the ones that come to my mind.

Maxios
2013-02-01, 04:41 PM
The Postman :smalltongue:.

Weezer
2013-02-02, 12:53 PM

Why? I haven't seen her movie, but the book was pretty good. Not the best ever, but good.

pffh
2013-02-02, 01:11 PM
Waterworld maybe?

Marillion
2013-02-02, 01:17 PM
I rather liked the Book of Eli, but that is just me.

comicshorse
2013-02-03, 04:08 PM

It is a bit grim.

And I liked 'Book of Eli' to

t209
2013-02-03, 04:16 PM
It is a bit grim.

And I liked 'Book of Eli' to
one thing that doesn't show in the film "the road".
Roasted Babies. And Humans will be doomed, no matter how you preserve your humanity.
Kinda feel that 'Book of Eli', Fallout series, Fist of the North Star, Mad Max series, History Channel show about post apocalypse and Fallout Equestria have the same formula. Society may be broken
but that doesn't mean that society can't be rebuilt, or make it better than both post apocalyptic and pre apocalyptic society.

GolemsVoice
2013-02-03, 05:10 PM
Regarding Fallout etc. in t209's post:

While I don't know about Fallout Equestria or FotNS, I think you hit the nail on the head. It has a darker side, too, however. When extreme circumstances happen, the only way a lot of folks will survive is by going mad in their own special way, and gathering likeminded individuals around them.

Whether this is by pretending to be a Roman legion, eating human flesh and ritually scarring themselves, or abandoning all morals, people go mad to deal with the ultimate reality of the post apocalypse.

Prime32
2013-02-03, 07:38 PM
Does it have to be a movie? If not, Fist of the North Star is basically "What if the protagonist of Mad Max was played by Bruce Lee?".
Technically there was a FotN movie, but it was laughably bad.

khoregate
2013-02-04, 10:12 AM
It was definately the roasted babies that got to me in the road...

I absolutly hate the general idea that if civilization crumbles the whole world turns to canibals.. we manged for 4000 years with out organised canabilistic tendancies and in the 5 years after the world ends we are eating anything that moves...

comicshorse
2013-02-04, 11:47 AM

I absolutly hate the general idea that if civilization crumbles the whole world turns to canibals.. we manged for 4000 years with out organised canabilistic tendancies and in the 5 years after the world ends we are eating anything that moves...

Yes but ( you know this could ruin the movie or the book so I'm going to spoiler it)
its not just civilization has fallen the earth is devastated. All animal and plant life is dead. There is nothing to live off but the remains of the old world ( a very finite resource) and each other. I read an interview with the author where he pointed out that faced with that situation the only logical response is that of the mother who commits suicide. The characters are desperately clinging on because it is human nature to go on even when hope is lost

Johel
2013-02-04, 06:12 PM

Neige, an old comic that ran during the 80', had the following as scenario :

The Confederacy of Europe (the EU wasn't yet born IRL but was in the process) has built weather control machines.
Thanks to them, the climate become perfect, people stop complaining about the cold and wet, agriculture is booming like never before.
It's a golden age for Europe, where neither hunger nor disease are heard of.

But the main computer in charge of the machines has a bug and the climate becomes an eternal cloudy winter.
It can't be fixed and because of it, life becomes more difficult.
To make matters worse, several new epidemics start popping around.
The rest of the world is scared and locks Europe behind an electromagnetic field, in complete isolation to avoid a global pandemia.

Decades pass and Europe is now a frozen hell.
Because of winter, agriculture is impossible.
What little grows can barely sustain the survivors.
In the cities, scavenging and cannibalism are the rule.
Mind you, people only eat each other because there is so little else to eat and because most people are already infected and doomed anyway.

dps
2013-02-04, 11:27 PM
There's also The Last Man on Earth/The Omega Man/I Am Legend. A different kind of apocolypse, but still post-apocolyptic. Closer to a zombie apocolypse, and come to think of it, I guess you could put a lot of zombie films in there, too. Oh, and Night of the Comet, which also technically isn't a zombie movie.

Kitten Champion
2013-02-05, 12:34 AM
Perhaps not Mad Max-ish enough, but Children of Men is one of the savvier apocalyptic mind trips out there.

Beasts of the Southern Wild is something I recently picked up, a beautiful movie with an apocalyptic edge to it.

Escape from New York and its sequel Escape form L.A. -- over-the-top tongue-in-cheek action movies with a strong dystopian leather-and-motorcycle feel to it.

Robocop's Detroit has much of the Mad Max aesthetic to it.

dps
2013-02-05, 02:07 AM
Robocop's Detroit has much of the Mad Max aesthetic to it.

Some might say Detroit itself is a bit post-apolyptic. :smallwink:

Kitten Champion
2013-02-05, 03:19 AM
Speaking of urban dystopias, the new Judge Dredd movie might fill the bill too.

Breakdown and savagery a plenty.

MLai
2013-02-05, 11:36 AM
I thought Super Mario Bros was somewhat post apocalyptic.
No srs.