PDA

View Full Version : Young ones.

Brett Nortje
2013-01-31, 05:24 PM
This is our in game thread. i will be writing the opening scene soon, so far as i have it down, you all arrive on a boat to a little town with a few people seeking fame and fortune, and your party, who you met on the boat, or way back when, whatever.

Please do not post your story here! please post your story in the the out of character section (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269916)

We will begin on saturday. please have your characters ready by then. i cannot wait to dm this post to post stuff, seems fun!

Please remember if you are not sure of anything, you can ask me here or in the out of character thread...

Brett Nortje
2013-01-31, 06:10 PM
All dice will be rolled in this thread

dice rolling thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269940)

Please remember to say what you are rolling for. i will allow you guys to split up, if you want to, so that you can play when it is convenient for you. if there is a fight, and somebody takes their time replying, i will assume, or, we will assume they wandere back to town or something. if they reappear, then they will be assumed to have found their way back to the rest of the group. this worked well for me once, when playing over irc, when people had to do dishes and stuff in the middle of our fights.

Brett Nortje
2013-01-31, 10:01 PM
I will be placing all experience points earned in this thread too, at random intervals...

Brett Nortje
2013-02-01, 06:46 PM
The ship pulls into dock. you are all ready for anything, as anything was better than living boring lives in the big cities or small towns you came from. this village, Terrobi, was rumoured to have a lot of potential when it comes to glory and gold, and that is why you all came. you all met each other on the ship, and decided to stick together, as you all wanted the same things evidently, and have grown o quite like each other.

The big men push their way to the front fo the gang plank, eager to get ashore. there seems to be no politeness at all, as they all want to get to the gold mines you figure, or lay a stake to their own diamond or gold mines. this city is quite new, and has not been explored very much, as people are scared to go into the forest for some reason you overhear some of the men saying. there are a few women too, but they seem to be 'domesticated.'

As you make your way to the town square to get your welcome from the mayor - who has only been mayor for a few days, as this outpost has sprung up overnight... - you all look around and see a map of the village, with some names for the people that have tried to establish a life here in Terrobi.

There are a few points of interest for your party. there is a blacksmith, a pub, a sage it says, a witch it says, a bathing area for those that strike it rich and want to clean up their acts and live a life of oppulance, and also a stable. There is also a lot of gear lying around that the people are watching with great fear of it being stolen, but there is another place to buy gear from the merchant.

The mayor greets all gathered there before him, and then says that they are all welcome to seek fame and fortune here outside Terrobi. he also says that they could all be paying taxes soon, as soon as they establish a community, the community coming from the many families being drug here by desperate fathers and husbands looking for a new start. Then the mayor dissapears off to his own tent, and has his gaurds - two of them - follow him. It is indeed lawless here at the moment, as there isn't even a police force - maybe you could volunteer you all think? or, maybe not?

Okay, if you want to explore the village, you may split up. if one of you hears something, you all hear it, as you are regaurded as being together, while being able to visit different places. of course, you may just walk into the forest that surrounds the village, except for the mines that are in the mountain just a ten minute walk from where you are - it is like the mountain comes out of the sea! maye you want to go to the mines now, or visit some of the places i bolded?

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-01, 07:19 PM
Garron Stonehand - Dwarven Ranger

Garron hears the Mayor's words with pity bordering on derision, it is hard for him to separate the two. This man openly admits to being unable to keep the peace in his own town. "Worry not sir, I shall cause no lawlessness here, nor allow any to occur within my reach."
He is eager to investigate the mines, wondering if any of his kin are there, but first he decides, a visit to the pub would be good, to relax and have some ale after that uncomfortable ship voyage.

Oh look, Garron has not escaped the curse of the preachy-paladin!!!

Brett Nortje
2013-02-01, 07:27 PM
As Garron enters the pub, a rough structure made of wood and metal, he sees there is no room in here to do anything! It is so full that he thinks of a birds nest where the alien birds place their eggs to be raised with the others of that type of bird.

Nevertheless, Garron get into the middle of the pub. it is impossible for this 'humble' ranger to hear anything other than messy conversation, and smells the beer that used to be made by other herbalists for their own 'secret' pleasures.

In the pub, there are a lot of backpacks with all manner of digging implements strewn about. you overhear some guys fighting over bedding, and assume there is no room here for sleeping! The bar man comes up to you, and asks what you want to drink, as he only has milk left! The milk will cost you, well, if you got no copper pieces, one gold piece! that will be for a whole pitcher of milk.

While that is going on, you see a dwarf that has gotten into a tussle with three elves, but seems to be holding his own as good as you might expect. He looks at Garron and proudly tries to look like he needs no help.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-01, 07:36 PM
Garron

Garron stalks away from the innkeeper in disgust, and approaches his kinsman.
"Greetings men," he nods to the elves as well as the dwarf, "I have just arrived in town, it is nice to see so many friendly faces." Somehow he makes those words seem threatening, but not overtly so.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-01, 07:43 PM
The elevs, embarrassed at their misfortune of meeting another dwarf, scatter off and out the pub. the dwarf smiles at you, and grabs your hand shakily. he informs you his name is Kotter, and that he is glad to meet another dwarf here, even though there are so many. you ask him what the elves wanted, and he says they wanted to make me their slave. he informs you he never trusted the charms of the elves, and suspects some have come just to loot the gear of others like himself.

Kotter invites you to join him in his tent now, as he is feeling tired after the long travel, and hates sleeping on ships. he also suggests a visit to the blacksmith, as he is also a dwarf, but is setting up a trade with a 'floor' to feed his family, not content to seek glory in the mines. He smirks...

Kotter and Garron decide to get out of this place, it is too noisy. He also laughs at your dress code, as you are not ready to dig nor fight it seems...

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-01, 07:49 PM
Garron

"I can fight in any clothing. But yes, as long as you have some ale, I'll come to your tent. I have a few companions, but they will meet me in their own time. Let us visit this blacksmith." Garron walks witht the eager dwarf.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-01, 07:55 PM
Garron negotiates the crowded streets and makes his way to the blacksmith. As he enters the front shop, he sees nobody inside, nor any items. on top of the counter a sign says "sold out".

Then Garron hears a noise coming from the back of the shop, but more like outside - it sounds like the clanging of metal. so, he walks outside and around the shop, and happens upon a dwarf - the blacksmith you imagine - hitting a red hot metal spade hilt ontop of a longish wooden pole. he notices you as you walk around the corner too, and waves you away with his hand, saying there is no more items for sale, you better come back tommorow.

You think business must be good...

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-01, 08:05 PM
Garron

A frown settles itself on his face. Garron was never one for patriotism, but seeing his kinsfolk so down trodden angered him. He hoped that those working at the mines would be succeeding better, but the word 'slave' rang in his mind.
"Excuse me brother, I would speak with you," Garron begins slowly, hoping the dwarf will hear him over his incessant hammering. "I have not heard of a blacksmith, 'selling out' before. Your work must be incredibly highly sort after."

Brett Nortje
2013-02-01, 08:13 PM
After a few more hammerings, the black smith puts down his spade, and wipes his brow. then he wipes his hands on his work coat, then wipes his face on his work coat, then gives up. He puts one hand on his head, and asks if you have any milk? there are plenty of cows here he says, as the half elves brought them from far to look for the best pastures in a new land. He likes milk, and wishes you had some, he says.

But, then after a few more relaxing gestures, he intorduces himself as Kronos. He says that he sold out because there are so many people coming in and buying the equipment, even to scalp it! Then he beckons you to help him with the task of carrying more metal from the side of his shop to the back so he can work on it...

Morcleon
2013-02-01, 08:26 PM
Kaelia Vesalius

A young druid steps off the ship, dressed in a green and blue tunic and cloak. Kaelia looks around the village with a bright smile and stretches. Smirking slightly at the mayor's words, she wanders around the town for a few minutes before reaching a sign noting a witch.

Curiously, she enters.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-01, 08:39 PM
Kaelia enters the hut, and sees a old man foraging with a few ropes trying to escape, as he has gotten tied up.

The witch says to you, that he is glad you are here, under bated breath. he explains he bet a gnome that he could espace these bonds or give him ten gold pieces, and when he couldn't escape, he had no money, so the gnome left him tied up!

He introduces himself as Weha, and asks you to untie him. naturally, you untie him, and then look at him with some pity, as he is a sorry mess. he tells you that he needs to find rare plants here to help him make new spells, and wonders if you would offer to help him out. he has no gold, but is sure he could offer some information about the forest he wants you to go to. it is rumoured to be full of bears, and few venture in there, so it is nearly virgin territory!

He offers, after some thought, to hold you a seance with the spirits if you would find anything exotic in there. he is looking for plants with bright colours, like red and yellow and orange. he says he thinks that they might be magical, or contain some or other chemicals he can use in brews, and that they would make a great addition to his collection...

Morcleon
2013-02-01, 08:54 PM
Kaelia Vesalius

Brightening at the prospect of helping a fellow magic-user, Kaelia nods enthusiastically and grins. "Of course I would like to help! I don't suppose you could show me some pictures of them so I don't accidentally get the wrong ones?"

Brett Nortje
2013-02-01, 09:03 PM
Weha says he doesn't have any pictures, but could draw one for you. he hauls out a ink quil and a piece of old leather, and begins drawing. he draws a big pettaled flower, that you imagine to be in one of those bright colours he spoke of. it looks like a hibiscus plant, to your knowledge.

Weha then gives you the piece of leather with the drawing upon it. He says that it is still early now, mid morning - about nine pm to your knowledge - and thinks you might be able to find them near water sources, as they grow on the banks usually, to his knowledge, but he could be wrong.

Before you leave, he asks who will be joining you. [please state who is here at the moment, of Kaelia will be doing this solo.]

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-02, 07:24 AM
Garron

Garron deposits some of the metal as specified, his thick arms easily managing the weight. He is surprised at the weakness of the dwarf here: milk? What son of Moradin is this?

He leaves the man shortly afterwards with few words, just in time to see Kaelia departing a building slightly further down. He approaches her with his disturbing news. "There is no ale in this place: none at all. They drink milk!" He'll tell her about the slavery later, that isn't as important.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 08:00 AM
You both decide to tackel the task early, and try to make our way as best you can to a water source in the forest. in the forest it seems to be very peaceful at the moment, and you are not happy when a little sprite accosts you some ten minutes into the forest.

The sprite says it wants to play a game... it will ask you a riddle and if you get it right, she will bless you for the rest of the day so that you will recieve a +1 to hit and skill rolls. but if you get it wrong, she will curse you for the rest of the day, meaning you will get a -1 to all dice rolls. You do not have a choice whether you play this game or not...

The sprite asks you, what lies on it's back, one hundred feet in the air? You each get one oppurtunity to answer.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-02, 08:15 AM
Garron

Garron grips his sword with one hand, ready to end this pesky fey creature, but Kaelia's face makes him think that perhaps she might know the answer to this. Either way the pixie's attitude has him riled.

Morcleon
2013-02-02, 10:39 AM
Kaelia Vesalius

"So? What's wrong with milk? I like milk..."

In the forest, Kaelia gives the little faerie a giggle and adopts her thinking pose, one arm crossed across her stomach, the other vertical, with a finger on the side of her mouth. "Well, if it's on its back... and is a hundred feet in the air... wait. What if...? It has one hund..." She trails off in thought, before snapping her fingers and crying triumphantly out at the sprite.

"A centipede! The answer is a centipede on its back!"

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-02, 10:44 AM
Garron

"Hurr?" Garron splutters, surprised at Kaelia's answer: how could a centipede be so high in the air? Wait, a centipede... 100 legs... "Oh..." Garron makes an open mouthed 'O', before readopting his stern face.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 10:48 AM
The sprite looks shocked! she wonders where you got that answer, although it is the right one. she shakes off her shocked look, and then casts bless on you and your party for the rest of the day.

Wondering if there are more creatures like this in the forest, you keep looking for these darn flowers you are supposed to collect. then, you hear the running of water, and remember that weha said they usually should be found near a water source. you hurry in the direction of the running water, and find a nice little stream with a few flowers on the banks. you wonder where they might be.

Eventually, after walking up and down the bank a bit, you find some bright orangish flowers, and you take all four of them, and place them in your back pack. turning now to return to the settlement, you realise you are lost in the woods! Does anyone hjave any survival skills, or something druid like that can help them out? If you do, tell me what it is you are trying to do, and roll dice with no modifiers. something like survival will do.

Morcleon
2013-02-02, 10:48 AM
Kaelia Vesalius

"See?" Kaelia sticks out her tongue to the dwarf and chuckles. "This is why I'm awesome and you're not."

"And lighten up, it's not like our little faerie friend is gonna hurt us, right, little one?" She directs this last part to the sprite with a smile.

As they realize they have gotten lost, Kaelia pouts and begins trying to find their way back home (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14638141#post14638141).

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 11:01 AM
Kaelia wanders a bit, and, being a druid, remembers the path they made to this spot in the forest, quite certainly. within twenty minutes they find their way back to the village, and head for Weha's hut...

as they enter once more, weha looks happily at you two , giving you a big toothy grin. he begins to ask about the flowers, and Garron briskly, in a typical dwarven way, hands him the flowers. Weha is surprised by the actual colour he tells you, and thinks these might actually be poisonous, and doesn't know what to do to test them. [Does anyone know of a way to see if they are poisonous? exp might be in the order...]

Regaurdless, a deal is a deal, and wehasummons the spirits. they appear for a few seconds, and you see a ghostly shape of a woman wearing a cloak. she looks at the both of you [as there are only two of you now it seems] and says that there is a fate befalling the mines that nobody can see, and that you must be careful in this strange land. with that she dissapears and Weha looks a little concerned, as he was planning on living here for quite some time he says.

What do you plan on doing next?

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-02, 11:21 AM
Garron Dice rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14638244&postcount=3)

Garron examines the flower to determine if he thinks it is poisonous (Knowledge Nature, result 16), and if he is still uncertain takes a small amount and eats it, trusting to his dwarven physique to survive should it be poisonous (foritude, result 24).

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 11:26 AM
[not really what i had in mind, but okay :smallsmile:]

Garron can't discern if it is poisonous, so pop it in his mouth. it tastes sweet at first, but then, it seems to be one of those 'foods' that get worse by the end. after a few seconds, he doesn't taste any poison, but starts spitting it out, with typical dwarven charisma...

Weha decides that it will work then, and puts all of the flowers into the pouch he has. he seems to have very little though, but this pouch is big and conatins many smelling things. you nearly cough at the smell, and then it is gone.

What do you want to do now?

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-02, 12:20 PM
Garron

Garron stares at the apparition with horror, as it seems to confirm the foreboding feelings he has been having since arriving here.
"We should look to the mine. I'll head there now, if you want to join me?"

Regardless of who accompanies him, Garron sets off towards the mine.

Morcleon
2013-02-02, 12:38 PM
Kaelia Vesalius

With a nod of thanks to the spirit woman, Kaelia turns to Garron with a smile. "Of course I would! C'mon, let's go!"

She follows him to the mine!

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 12:56 PM
On the way to the mine, you see a few dwarves standing around taking a breather. they have too much gear it seems, and would probably like to see it get there some way or another. [if you wish to stop and talk to the dwarves, feel free.]

Further along the road, you see a 'half way hut', selling scalped tools. the elves running this establishment look at you earily and wonder why you are not carrying any equipment? [if you want to talk to the elves, feel free.]

Then, finally you get to the mines. the mines are quite new, so you can see as far as they have dug. do you wish to walk inside?

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-02, 01:12 PM
Garron

Garron is rather disturbed by the dwarves he has met so far, and reluctantly approaches the cluster.
"Greetings brothers. How are you faring?"

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 01:20 PM
The dwarves sigh and wipe sweat from their brow, asking for water. they say they have been hauling these huge items for a while now, and they bought the big items because all the small ones were gone. they suspect these items they carry were for half orcs.

They ask you if you could think of a way to get their gear to the mines quickly. you will get exp if you figure a way, but i am not saying there is a way.

The elves approach you two while you are talking to the dwarves. they have a hut made for refreshment, and smaller items, and try to haggle a deal with the dwarves. you can tell in this world, elves and dwarves really don't like each other. what a motely crew you two make :smallsmile:

The elves have water, but they refuse to pay the prices the dwarves are offering. can you think of a way out of this predicament?

acassatt9
2013-02-02, 04:55 PM
Klaus

Klaus steps off the ship and on to the dock. He then heads to the town square and listens to the mayor's greeting with disinterest. Food, food, he needs food. He had finished all his consumables on the ship.

Off to the merchant!

What was that, did he hear something about taxes? Klaus resolves to leave town as soon as possible. But merchant first. He would take taxes over starvation any day.

He makes his way through the unorganized bustle of Terrobi.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 05:05 PM
As you head to the merchant, you get bumped by a few half orcs. they moan at you for being so small, they couldn't see you! They are of course much larger than you.

Them, as you approach the merchant, you see all manner of wares for sale. there is rope, costing 3 gp there are food rations, costing 1 gp eachand there is a few water skins, costing 2 gp each. then there are a few glass jars coating one gp each, a few wallets, costing 2gp each, some paper, costing 1gp for three pages, some quills, costing one gp eachand a bit of ink costing 1gp for a bottle. There also happens to be, what appears to be, a mages spell book, costing 50gp you figure... seems this merchant doesn't know it is a mage's spell book!

You may ask about any of the items. just tell us what you buy.

acassatt9
2013-02-02, 05:17 PM
Klaus

The tiny 16-year-old Klaus bumps into some towering orcs. They grumble at him but continue on their way.

Why, Klaus wonders, did my parents think it was smart letting me travel on my own?

Oh, right. They were dead.

Klaus approaches the merchant. He gives a cursory glance over the wares, and then says, "One rope, three rations, one waterskin—one filled waterskin." Klaus spoke quickly without stopping to breathe.

He examines the rope's length.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 05:22 PM
The rope is nine feet in length. the merchant asks you if you will be going to the mines to do some mining? he has no tools, he only sells rope and other wares, because the dwarf put him out of business on the tools department, as he was more hard working.

acassatt9
2013-02-02, 05:32 PM
Klaus

Klaus stares at the merchant blankly. "Mines?" He shoves his purchased goods into his backpack.

Oh divines this is heavy.

Klaus says, "Is there something interesting in the mines?"

His parents warned him about mines. "Things of fire, death, and destruction," his parents would say. "They will take you, a pure child, and spit you back out all black and charcoal-y."

No, wait, that was dragons.

What did they say about mines?

"Dwarves," he says out loud.

Oh, right.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 05:37 PM
They are all minginon the mountain, says the merchant. we have great gold deposits, and everyone is trying to cash in. me, i just stay here and skim off the top!

Klaus gets the cold shoulder now, as there are more people to buy goods.

what do you want to do now?

acassatt9
2013-02-02, 05:44 PM
Klaus

Klaus heads out of the merchant's place and walks around a bit, looking for a good view of the terrain outside of Terrobi. He wants to go to the mine.

Everything seems fine. Klaus stretches a little, yawns, and then sets off to leave town.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 05:47 PM
You happen upon your freinds you met on the ship, haggling with elves and warves, as described in the scene that you missed out on.

if you can come up with a solution, i will give you exp. unfortunately you cannot go to the mine yet, as i need the others to catch up. try the 'puzzle.'

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-02, 05:47 PM
Ok, solve away, brute strength will always win in the end :smalltongue:

Garron

Garron was not one for problem solving, but it was obvious these dwarves needed help and someone needed to do something.

"You are only sitting around here, these elves will give you nothing. Best to get on with it and not waste any more time."

Garron then takes his rope and wraps large coils around the items, securing them.

"Now we're going to pull this thing!" HE bellows confidently, straining his back to pull the parcel.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 05:53 PM
Well, before you do that, why not give the others a chance to solve the puzzle? it will give you more exp! Besides, Klaus has just got here. there is a solution that will be good for all.

acassatt9
2013-02-02, 06:02 PM
Klaus

Klaus spots Garron and Kaelia. He moves quickly towards them, but then sees a group of dwarves and elves heatedly discussing something. Garron is tugging at some large parcels.

Klaus approaches the bunch quietly and listens. There is some resentment over water prices?

Klaus asks the elves, "How much for water?"

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 06:41 PM
Water will cost you, 1gp a glass. the elves turn to klaus, and eagerly await his purchase of tools for the dwarves, as these are too big for them. that is a hint.

Brett Nortje
2013-02-02, 08:48 PM
Okay, the time for this puzzle is over. You load the equipment onto your shoulders and carry it to the mine for the dwarves, and the elves go back to their hut.

You all help carry the equipment to the mines, which is just a half hour walk, although with quite heavy equipment you also start to get thirsty.

You arrive by the mines, and seethe dwarves and orcs using all manner of things digging this way and that. You do not detect anything worrying here, as the spirit said, but you remain weary.

Do you want to venture into the mines? do you want to talk to somebody? do you want to just go somewhere else?

[by the way, you were supposed to swop the orc size equipment for water and smaller equipemnt for dwarves, as that would have gotten then drink, would have appeased the elves, and gotten the right size equipment for the dwarves, as they cannot handle large equipment. was it too tough?]