PDA

View Full Version : (PEACH) The Beast-Men [PF]

Screech-*Lime*
2013-01-31, 06:32 PM
The Tiervolk

So, I've been cooking up my Homebrew setting in my head for a while now, but have only gotten around to posting in the Worldbuilding forum recently (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269798). I was wondering if y'all could help me with the balancing and/or concepts for these new races I've built with the (enormously helpful) Pathfinder Race Builder.

The idea is that at some point (500-1000 years) in the past, before the rise of most of the current civilizations, this continent or world was used as a place for a high-level wizard (a Vivisectionist Alchemist) to do experiments of the Dr. Moreau variety. These peoples are the descendents of his experiments that bred and evolved (rapidly due to the magic involved) into civilized humanoids. They all (most, I may change more) have German names (I don't speak a word of German).

Bärenmenschen
The nation of the bear-men are the largest and most centralized civilization of Tiervolk. They are militaristic, and their nation was the center of a war that ravaged the continent 20-30 years ago, after which war they were put under many punitive terms of surrender. However, those of the defeated (to be named) nation are not the only bear-people out there. As with all Tiervolk, they are assimilated in smaller numbers all over the continent, although the Bärenmenschen (even those who have been separated from their ancestral land for generations) now suffer from discrimination abroad in memory of the devastating conflict.

Bärenmenschen
Type Humanoid (Tiervolk) 0 RP
Size Medium 0 RP
Base Speed Standard 0 RP
Ability Score Modifiers Specialized (+2 Str, +2 Con, –2 Int) 1 RP
Languages Standard 0 RP

Racial Traits

Defense Racial Traits

Hardy (3 RP): Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.

Feat and Skill Racial Traits

Scavenger (2 RP): Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Perception checks to find hidden objects (including traps and secret doors), determine whether food is spoiled, or identify a potion by taste.

Offense Racial Traits

Bite 1d4 (2 RP)
Bear ferocity: Once per day, when a member of this race is reduced to fewer than 0 hit points but is not killed, it can fight on for 1 more round as if disabled. At the end of its next turn, unless brought to above 0 hit points, it immediately falls unconscious and begins to die. (2 RP)

Total 10 RP

Another variety of Bearfolk are the Panda-men originating in the far east. They are not as closely related to other breeds as the other breeds are to each-other, and they make up a very small amount of the total bear population.

Bärenmenschen-Das Panda
Size Medium 0 RP
Base Speed Standard 0 RP
Ability Score Modifiers Standard (+2 Str, +2 Wis, –2 Int) 0 RP: Pandas are physically strong and have a proud philosophical tradition, but are too freaking stupid to find something to eat that isn't being constantly deforested, and can't figure out how to screw to save their own dang species!
Languages Linguist 1 RP

Racial Traits

Defense Racial Traits

Stubborn(2 RP): Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on Will saving throws to resist spells and spell-like abilities of the enchantment (charm) and enchantment (compulsion) subschools. In addition, if a member of this race fails such a save, it receives another save 1 round later to prematurely end the effect (assuming the spell or spell-like ability has a duration greater than 1 round). This second save is made at the same DC as the first. If the member of the race has a similar ability from another source (such as a rogue's slippery mind class feature), it can only use one of these abilities per round, but can try the other on the second round if the first reroll ability fails.

Scavenger (2 RP): Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Perception checks to find hidden objects (including traps and secret doors), determine whether food is spoiled, or identify a potion by taste.
Sociable (1 RP): When members of this race attempt to change a creature's attitude with a Diplomacy check and fail by 5 or more, they can try to influence the creature a second time even if 24 hours have not passed.

Offense Racial Traits

Bite 1d4 (2 RP)

Other Racial Traits

Light and Dark (1 RP): Members of this race gain the following supernatural ability: Once per day as an immediate action, a member of this race can treat positive and negative energies as if it were an undead creature, taking damage from positive energy and healing damage from negative energy. This ability lasts for 1 minute once activated.

Total 9 RP

Ichthropoi
What can be said about the Fish-Men, or, as they are disparagingly referred to by other races, the "Reverse-Mermen?" They live on the coastlines, making their money as seafarers, fishermen, and traders. They are a humble race, but resilient and scholarly. But, alas, the poor Fishfolk are cursed with gruesome features and a sickening stench. They can never build up much power, because their diplomats suck. Because they smell like fish.

These are the ones I'm most interested in getting help with. I like the idea of them having a stench aura, but I'm worried that they'll be overpowered and that it will adversely affect allies. I'm considering nerfing the Stench Aura to just 5 feet and the Lightning Vulnerability to a penalty to saves against Lightning attacks.

Ichthropoi
Type Humanoid (Tiervolk) (Aquatic) 0 RP
Size Medium 0 RP
Base Speed Slow (-1 RP): A legacy of water-dwelling has left the Ichthropoi with a slower pace on land.
Ability Score Modifiers Standard +2 Con, +2 Int, –2 Cha (0 RP): The years of (accelerated) evolution that led to their ability to walk and breathe on the land have left the Ichthropoi prodigiously hardy, and they are quick-thinking, but have trouble relating to other races because they smell like fish.
Languages Standard 0 RP

Racial Traits

Defense Racial Traits

Ancient Foe (3 RP): In the wild, bears eat fish all the time, and thus Ichthropoi have an ingrained distrust of bears and have developed methods to defend themselves against bears. Ichthropoi gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC against Barenmenschen and a +2 racial bonus on combat maneuver checks made to grapple Barenmenschen.

Movement Racial Traits

Swim (2 RP): Members of this race have a swim speed of 30 feet and gain the +8 racial bonus on Swim checks that a swim speed normally grants.

Offense Racial Traits

Stench Aura (4 RP): Ichthropoi smell like fish. they secrete a terrible scent as a 5-foot aura that nearly every other creature finds offensive. All living creatures (except those with the stench aura ability) within the aura must succeed at a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 the user's character level + the user's Constitution modifier) or be sickened for 5 rounds. Creatures that succeed at the saving throw cannot be sickened by the same creature's stench aura for 24 hours. A delay poison or neutralize poison spell or similar effect removes the effect from the sickened creature. This is a poison effect.

Offense Racial Traits

Amphibious (2 RP): Members of this race are amphibious and can breathe both air and water.

Weakness Racial Traits

Electricity Vulnerability (-2 RP): Pokemon logic, 'nuff said. Members of this race have a -4 penalty to saving throws against electricity-based effects.

Total 8 RP

Elemenschen, Wolfenmenschen, and Kaninmenschen
These are the races without cultures. The Elephants, Wolves, and Rabbits are more spread-out than the others, but I want at some point to give at least the Elephants their own civilization. I'm thinking Italy.

Elemenschen
Type Humanoid (Tiervolk) (Giant) 0 RP
Size Large (7 RP): Large creatures gain a +2 size bonus to Strength and a –2 size penalty to Dexterity. Large races take a –1 size penalty to their AC, a –1 size penalty on attack rolls, a +1 bonus on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a –4 size penalty on Stealth checks. A Large creature takes up a space that is 10 feet by 10 feet and has a reach of 5 feet.
Base Speed Slow -1 RP: Elemenschen are big and lumbering
Ability Score Modifiers Standard (+2 Con, +2 Wis, –2 Dex) 0 RP: Elemenschen are tough and very aware (they never forget), but exceptionally clumsy.
(Total +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -4 Dex)
Languages Standard 0 RP

Racial Traits

Defense Racial Traits

Natural Armor (2 RP): Elemenschen have tough hides. Members of this race gain a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.

Offense Racial Traits

Relentless (1 RP): Members of this race gain a +2 bonus on combat maneuver checks made to bull rush or overrun an opponent. This bonus only applies while both the member of this race and its opponent are standing on the ground.
Other Racial Traits
Prehensile Trunk (2 RP): Members of this race have a long, flexible trunk that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their trunks, but they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.

Total 11 RP
Wolfenmenschen
Size Medium 0 RP
Base Speed Standard (0 RP)
Ability Score Modifiers Standard (+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Strength) (0 RP): Wolfenmenschen are quick and cunning, but are built more for speed than power.
Languages Standard 0 RP

Racial Traits

Stalker (1 RP): Perception and Stealth are always class skills for members of this race.

Movement Racial Traits

Fleet-Footed (3 RP): Members of this race receive Run as a bonus feat and a +2 racial bonus on initiative checks.
Sprinter (1 RP): Members of this race gain a +10 foot racial bonus to their speed when using the charge, run, or withdraw actions.

Senses Racial Traits

Carrion Sense (1 RP): Members of this race have a natural ability to sniff out carrion. This functions like the scent ability, but only for corpses and badly wounded creatures (creatures with 25% or fewer hit points).
Darkvision 60 Feet (2 RP): Members of this race can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

Total 10 RP
Kaninmenschen
Size Small (0 RP): Small races gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. Small races have a space of 5 feet by 5 feet and a reach of 5 feet.
Base Speed Standard (0 RP)
Ability Score Modifiers Mixed Weakness (+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -4 Str, -2 Wis) (-2 RP): Kaninmenschen are quick and well-mannered, but physically feeble. They tend to be scatterbrained and are often late for important engagements.
Languages Linguist 1 RP

Racial Traits

Defense Racial Traits

Rabbit's Foot (1 RP): Members of this race gain the following extraordinary ability: Once per day, when a member of this race makes a Reflex saving throw, it can roll the saving throw twice and take the better result. It must decide to use this ability before attempting the saving throw.
Defensive Training, Greater (4 RP): Members of this race gain a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class.

Beguiling Liar (2 RP): Members of this race gain a +4 racial bonus on Bluff checks to convince an opponent that what they are saying is true when they tell a lie.

Movement Racial Traits

Fleet-Footed (3 RP): Members of this race receive Run as a bonus feat and a +2 racial bonus on initiative checks.
Sprinter (1 RP): Members of this race gain a +10 foot racial bonus to their speed when using the charge, run, or withdraw actions.

Total 10 RP

Walromenschen
The North is inhabited by the proud and charismatic Walrus-Men. A glorious people, Walruses (Walri?) have an incredible gift with speech; they are beguiling and seductive. Many consider the Walrusfolk pompous, but even their harshest critic can be caught off-guard by their ivory tusks and silver tongues.

Walromenschen
Size Medium (0 RP)
Base Speed Slow (-1 RP)
Ability Score Modifiers Greater Paragon (+4 Cha, -2 Dex, -2 Wis) (2 RP): Walromenschen are incredibly alluring, but are slow and often overcome by their arrogance.
Languages Standard 0 RP

Racial Traits

Defense Racial Traits

Eternal Hope (2 RP): Walromenschen are so haughty that they have trouble contemplating that they can be bested. Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against fear and despair effects. Also, once per day, after a natural roll of 1 on a d20 roll, members of this race may reroll and use the second result.
Beguiling Liar (2 RP): Members of this race gain a +4 racial bonus on Bluff checks to convince an opponent that what they are saying is true when they tell a lie.
Gregarious (1 RP): When members of this race successfully use Diplomacy to win over an individual, that creature takes a –2 penalty on attempts to resist any of the member's Charisma-based skills for the next 24 hours.

Magical Racial Traits

Seducer (2 RP): Members of this race add +1 to the saving throw DCs for their spells and spell-like abilities of the enchantment school. In addition, members of this race with a Wisdom score of 15 or higher gain the following spell-like ability (the caster level is equal to the user's character level):
1/day—charm person
Hypnotic Gaze (3 RP): Members of this race gain the following supernatural ability (the caster level is equal to the user's character level):
1/day—hypnotism; The effects last only 1 round.

Total 12 RP

Does anyone have any ideas for making these races more interesting, as well as things like favored classes?

I'm also interested in what other races of Tiervolk I might add to my world. Ideas are welcome, and I (obviously) have no prejudice against silliness.