PDA

View Full Version : Making a saboteur.

mrb145
2013-01-31, 07:16 PM
I have been playing with the idea of saboteur class who focuses solely on explosives and traps but I am having trouble finding anything close or balanced. The grenadier on the D&D wiki page here:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grenadier_%283.5e_Class%29

is closest to what I have in mind but is obviously in need of work and completely broken. I mean 10 of every bomb and the ability to detonate all with an attack bonus equal to your sleight of hand?

Anyway, the base explosives seem okay but I would like to add a few and implement a power point system. Basically each morning he would create a number of explosives equal the number of power points he has. The base explosive would cost a number of points and all of them can be augmented. As he levels he would gain new base explosives, new augments, and an increase in the number of augments he could add. Augments would include things like increased blast radius, extra die of damage, sticky coating, walking legs, timer, remote detonate, etc. Each with there own augment cost. I understand his weakness would be enemies with high reflex but I was thinking he could have a later level ability that would allow him to make a Sleight of Hand check and for every 5 points in the check would give him a +1 to attack. Any other skills and input would be appreciated.

Update: I looked into the Alchemist and liked what I saw but it just wasn't splody enough so me and a friend put together a basic class that we think is somewhat balanced. Its not complete but we could use some input.

level, BAB, Fort, Ref, Will, Abilities
1st, +0, +2, +2, +0, Bomb 1d6, Trap Finding
2nd, +1, +3, +3, +0, Evasion
3rd, +2, +3, +3, +1, Bomb 2d6, Trap Sense +1
4th, +3, +4, +4, +1, Saboteur's Lock Pick
5th, +3, +4, +4, +1, Bomb 3d6
6th, +4, +5, +5, +2, Trap Sense +2
7th, +5, +5, +5, +2, Bomb 4d6, Explosive Personality
8th, +6/+1, +6, +6, +2, Improved Evasion
9th, +6/+1, +6, +6, +3, Bomb 5d6, Trap Sense +3
10th, +7/+2, +7, +7, +3, Shaped Charge
11th, +8/+3, +7, +7, +3, Bomb 6d6
12th, +9/+4, +8, +8, +4, Trap Sense +4
13th, +9/+4, +8, +8, +4, Bomb 7d6
14th, +10/+5, +9, +9, +4, Dismantle
15th, +11/+6/+1, +9, +9, +5, Bomb 8d6, Trap Sense +5
16th, +12/+7/+2, +10, +10, +5,
17th, +12/+7/+2, +10, +10, +5, Bomb 9d6
18th, +13/+8/+3, +11, +11, +6, Trap Sense +6
19th, +14/+9/+4, +11, +11, +6, Bomb 10d6
20th, +15/+10/+5, +12, +12, +6, C4

Hit Die: d8

Skill points at 1st level: (6+Int modifier) X 4

Skill points per level: 6+Int modifier

Skills: Bluff (Cha), Craft(Explosive) (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Escape Artist (Dex) Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha), Use Rope (Dex).

Bomb: The Saboteur is the poor man’s wizard. They have the uncanny ability to mix mundane and ordinary chemicals into a concoction capable of mimicking the power of many arcane and divine spells. It is for this reason that, as long as the Saboteur is in or near a village or city, he can replenish his supply of bombs at a negligible cost to himself unless otherwise specified. Outside of these places he carries a component pouch that allows him to create 50 bombs. After that he must rely on ingenuity and sheer luck. He must scavenge the area looking for materials. If he finds some he can only create standard bombs and the quantity and quality are described by the following tables. (can't figure out how to do tables on here but basically make 2 percentile rolls and the result tells you how many you can make based on max capacity and how powerful they are from no reduction in power to only 1 die of damage.)

It takes a standard action to pick and throw a bomb. Range is 25ft/50ft. To attack with a bomb, use throw splash weapon rules. DC for saves is 10 + half Saboteur level + Intelligence modifier.

Saboteur’s Pack: At 1st level, the Saboteur carries a small, padded pouch that carries all their explosives. The explosives inside cannot be triggered to explode from outside forces, including fire and powerful impacts.

Capacity: Total capacity is 2 times the Saboteurs class level. Also gets a bonus number of bombs equal to his Intelligence modifier.

Saboteur's Lock Pick: Use leftovers to destroy lock without harming contents of chest. The Saboteur can make a Craft (explosives) Check in place of an Open Lock Check a number of times a day equal to ¼ his max capacity rounded down. This ability will set off traps but allows the Saboteur enough time to move out of range. Success will open the lock and not destroy the contents unless a trap does so. Failure by 5 or less breaks the lock and does 4d4 damage to the contents but the Saboteur can make another check. The DC is now 5 lower than it used to be. Failure by greater than 5 destroys the lock beyond use.

Trap Finding: Saboteur can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20. Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. Saboteurs can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. A Saboteur who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with her party) without disarming it.

Trap Sense: Starting at 3rd level, a Saboteur has an intuitive sense that alerts him to danger from traps, giving him a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses raise by +1 every three Saboteur levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Evasion: The Saboteur gets evasion as a bonus feat.

Improved Evasion: The Saboteur gets improved evasion as a bonus feat.

Shaped Charge: The saboteur can choose one bomb and deal its splash damage in a cone in front of him out to 15ft without provoking an attack of opportunity. This explosion also carries the bombs adverse effects if there are some. Usable only once a day.

Dismantle: The saboteur is so adept at creating bombs that he can now dismantle any bomb he carries and rebuild as a different bomb of the same level or lower as a full round action.

Explosive Personality: Once at 7th level, a Saboteur can add half their class levels to a Bluff or Intimidate check a number of times a day equal to the Charisma modifier, minimum 1/day.

C4: At the 20th level the Saboteur gains an explosive that can do enough damage to take down a fortress. Once a month he can put together the enough components to make a remote bomb, range 1000ft, that will utterly destroy any structure, magical or not, and deals 5X the Saboteurs current bomb damage out to 100ft. The bomb takes 5 min to plant and prime.

Level 1: Basic Bomb, Popper, Smoke Bomb
Level 3: Acid Bomb, Tanglefoot Bomb, Scrap Bomb, Shatter Bomb
Level 5: Fire Bomb, Stink Bomb, Confusion Bomb,
Level 7: Shredder Bomb, Concussive Bomb, Cold Bomb, Shock Bomb
Level 9: Dispelling Bomb, Explosive Bolt, Mini Bomb
Level 11: Walking bomb, Poison Bomb, Madness Bomb
Level 13: Rocket Bomb, Sunlight Bomb, Torpedo
Level 15: Flying Bomb

Possible feats: Underwater Demolition, Delayed Explosion, Capacity Increase. The ones that affect the bombs would be like a metamagic in that they would bump up how much of the Saboteurs capacity they took up.

Most of the bombs that I have included are form the pathfinder list of discoveries and I plan to use there descriptions and damage but I have thrown a few new ones in obviously.

gorfnab
2013-01-31, 07:25 PM
Pathfinder Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist)

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-31, 07:25 PM
Try a Pathfinder Alchemist class, possibly converted back to 3.5?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist

Bearlock
2013-01-31, 07:26 PM
Damn. Ninja'd. I agree check out PF's Alchemist

Edenbeast
2013-01-31, 07:49 PM
The pathfinder Alchemist class has actually an archetype called Saboteur. It's an archetype for gnome alchemists, but it could fit with any race if you want.

Bearlock
2013-01-31, 08:05 PM
The pathfinder Alchemist class has actually an archetype called Saboteur. It's an archetype for gnome alchemists, but it could fit with any race if you want.

Just checked that out, haven't done much with the alchemist yet but gave me a great idea for a gnome alchemist who is an agent of the Trust in Eberron.