PDA

View Full Version : PF and ToB Integration

joca4christ
2013-01-31, 09:24 PM
This question has probably been asked and answered a dozen times over, but has anyone had any luck integrating classes like swordsage, and those maneuvers into PF rules?

Would love to multiclass rogue and swordsage with PF rules.

Pink
2013-01-31, 09:40 PM
Honestly, aside from changing skills to cooperate with pathfinder, and replacing references to Trip and Grapple attempts and what not with CMB checks, I shouldn't think it too hard to integrate.

Truthfully, I wish my players would ask to experiment more with crossover classes from 3.5 and such, some classes I like seeing that are left behind in 3.5

Lord_Gareth
2013-01-31, 09:47 PM
The only thing(s) you really need to do is account for the skill system. I'd personally find a Wis-based skill (Perception, perhaps) to use in place of Concentration for Diamond Mind and call it a day.

JoshuaZ
2013-01-31, 10:24 PM
The only thing(s) you really need to do is account for the skill system. I'd personally find a Wis-based skill (Perception, perhaps) to use in place of Concentration for Diamond Mind and call it a day.

In my campaign I've been using Autohypnosis which seems thematically similar.

Feralventas
2013-02-01, 05:18 AM
I regularly mix 3.P for a number of games as a player and as a DM. In one case, a primarily PF game the majority of the party were martial classes. I brought up the Tome of Battle as an option to give them extra utilities/combat options. This went over well enough, and so starting at 4th level, a non-casting character was allowed to learn one maneuver each level. Recovery was on a case-by-case basis; Rogues or Duelists were granted recovery of a maneuver similarly to the gunslinger's Grit recovery via critical hits, kills, and Daring Deeds, while the Cavalier got a full refresh of their maneuvers by issuing their Challenge. The maneuvers available were somewhat regulated by class, so for right now we have a fencing fighter using Tiger Claw and Setting Sun, a Cavalier with White Raven, and our new Rogue is using Shadow Hand.

I'm playing a full caster, but dipping every few levels to keep from actually getting to T1 casting capacity, though I've been considering a Monk with Iron Heart maneuvers as a backup option.

In another example, I've got a fairly good party that I DM for; a pair of PF Fighter/Warblades, a Gunslinger, and a Binder as the core of the group. They've been doing a pretty solid job of things so far. The FightBlades deal plenty of damage, though they still kinda needed the maneuvers to add onto the late-game utility. Master Craftsman also helped (Crafting Items helps with down-time as well as character options on the spot). The Binder was a bit gear-dependent to deal damage, but should be catching back up soon enough, and I'm looking forward to seeing them hit epic levels before too long.

For Diamond Mind, I agree with Lord Garreth on Perception as a replacement, though I can see Autohypnosis also working, as well as simple Martial Lore if you'd like to make Diamond Mind the preferred school for knowledge of martial maneuvers and combat skills.

joca4christ
2013-02-01, 10:33 AM
Interesting thoughts! Thanks for sharing. All of this is purely hypothetical as the likelihood of my being in a gaming group anytime soon is pretty slim. Just like to kick around concepts in my head and dream of how cool it would be to play.

The rogue dip for this swordsage concept is primarily so I could be the scout/explorer/trap guy. Love the idea of using some of the cool maneuvers to sneak around/scout. Not so crazy about being the SA damage dude, though I see some interesting possibilities if one could add SA to, say, a Mighty Throw, or something.

Just thoughts though. Liked the PF rogue progression (2 lvl dip) for getting Weapon Finesse at lvl 2 via Rogue Talent.