PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Skirmisher Build

Eugenides
2013-02-01, 01:21 AM
Hey all!

So I'm trying to make a decent Rogue/Skirmisher focusing on skillmonkey and ranged damage. We're in a dragon-heavy campaign, and I really don't want to try melee range, particularly because my DM loves grapples if he's bigger.

An important note: we're fairly low OP, and tend to stress playing around/character concept over power. I'd like to get a build wrangled together, but I don't want to invalidate the rest of the party.

I'm thinking whisper gnome for race. Other than that:

Level 8, but plans for higher levels would be great.

27,000 WBL granted. I can grab anything from MIC/DMG, other items allowed, pending DM approval. So any particular items to suggest would be appreciated. I was thinking of playing around with repeating crossbow for fun.

Splatbooks are ok, as long as I can find a copy of the text somewhere to show to my DM. I have Complete: Adventurer, Arcane, Warrior, Divine, Scoundrel as hard copies. Anything else will have to be online.

I was toying with the idea of going with a build I found in a rogue handbook

"Swift Ambusher
Rogue 3/Scout 3/Cloistered Cleric 1/Rogue +13
Take Swift Ambusher, Improved Skirmish, Craven, Travel Devotion, and Knowledge Devotion (devotions via cloistered cleric). This gets you 8d6+20 Sneak Attack, 7d6/+7 Skirmish, and 3 rogue Special Abilities. It's a very damaging archer build, with a lot of skill points too."

However, I don't really know how the devotion things work, and I can't seem to find a copy online.

Thanks guys!

Qc Storm
2013-02-01, 01:36 AM
I wouldn't exactly consider dipping Cloistered Cleric a good thing in your case, since you are playing by concept over power. And Cloistered Cleric is very powerful without much of a concept.

If the group is low-OP, consider using Greater Manyshot for skirmish damage, and use anklets of translocation in the meantime.

Ask the wizard for help getting flatfoots and you'll be dealing huge damage.

I would also go with a standard race, because once again, low OP.

Eugenides
2013-02-01, 01:43 AM
I would also go with a standard race, because once again, low OP.

While I'll take your advice to heart about the CC, the party is a misfit party of strange races to begin with, and this is technically a rework of an existing character, who was a WG to begin with.

So would you say just do a 10/10 of Rogue scout, or what ratio between the classes?

Illarion
2013-02-01, 01:46 AM
if you are really wanting to stay out of range take a look at crossbow sniper feat in PHB II. and for some serious dragon punishing check out the dragonstalker PrC in the draconomicon.

Eugenides
2013-02-01, 01:58 AM
if you are really wanting to stay out of range take a look at crossbow sniper feat in PHB II. and for some serious dragon punishing check out the dragonstalker PrC in the draconomicon.

While interesting suggestions, I'm looking more at a rogue/scout build.

Norin
2013-02-01, 04:49 AM
While interesting suggestions, I'm looking more at a rogue/scout build.

Crossbow sniper feat fits in a Rogue/Skirmisher build. Go check it out, it's pretty nice.

1/2 dex bonus to damage and 60' ranged sneak attacks/skirmishes let's you stay out of grapple range more.
:smallbiggrin:

DEMON
2013-02-01, 05:07 AM
So would you say just do a 10/10 of Rogue scout, or what ratio between the classes?

Rog 16 / Scout 4 + Swift Ambusher
3 special abilities from Rogue, bonus feat from Scout, less of a hit to your BAB than a 10/10 progression would be (unless you apply fractional BAB)
+1 to Crossbow Sniper(PHB 2) - very good feat for you and you have a hand crossbow proficiency, so you could grab a hand crossbow focus (DotU) and save a feat; that is if you can get it approved by the DM
Darkstalker feat (LoM) would be a very good addition to your build as well

If you go with more than 4 levels of Scout, grab some ACF for the redundant 2nd Evasion (Spell Reflection from CM perhaps, or the one in PHB 2, I can't recall the name ATM).

RagnaroksChosen
2013-02-01, 11:31 AM
Your original build is probably one of the better options for swift ambusher..
If you are starting at level 8 I would do something like this:
1rogue/4scout/1cleric/2 rogue
Taking swift ambusher as your bonus 4th level scout feat.
Cleric, Take travel domain and trickery(both fit thematically).

Cleric is a great dip if you want to show your character is deeply devoted to a cause, went through some sort of training with it, then used there own abilities to help said cause.

If you want something a little more flavorful and your GM doesn't mind making a small exception, see if the GM will let swift ambusher work with Ninja and sudden strike. Ninja works better with a melee swift ambusher as they can go invis... If you go this route make sure you grab the ninja feat that lets your invis last for 2 rounds. I generally don't play with the Asian theme in my games and refluff the ninja as a mystical style rogue.