PDA

View Full Version : Nathazarune Rakshasa build

AlanBruce
2013-02-01, 05:22 AM
Greetings! I'm toying with the idea of building an npc for my current campaign. A Nathzarune rakshasa (MM3). The creature is amazing design-wise. And yes, assassin is a no brainer. It is even specified in its entry as a favored class, with automatic entry. I was thinking something different though. that could, hopefully, mesh well with the nathzarune's mechanics and flavor.

A nathzarune rakshasa warlock.

Is it a good idea? Would its natural abilities and class abilities from the warlock work well? If so, any builds in particular you could offer? I was thinking around 6-8 warlock levels, on top of its RHD. Being a non-associated class, its CR should not be as high vs. a 13th (almost 14th) level party.

If you have any ideas on how to make this guy interesting not only mechanically, but fluff wise, I would be most grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Gotterdammerung
2013-02-01, 08:01 AM
Greetings! I'm toying with the idea of building an npc for my current campaign. A Nathzarune rakshasa (MM3). The creature is amazing design-wise. And yes, assassin is a no brainer. It is even specified in its entry as a favored class, with automatic entry. I was thinking something different though. that could, hopefully, mesh well with the nathzarune's mechanics and flavor.

A nathzarune rakshasa warlock.

Is it a good idea? Would its natural abilities and class abilities from the warlock work well? If so, any builds in particular you could offer? I was thinking around 6-8 warlock levels, on top of its RHD. Being a non-associated class, its CR should not be as high vs. a 13th (almost 14th) level party.

If you have any ideas on how to make this guy interesting not only mechanically, but fluff wise, I would be most grateful.

Thank you in advance.

For an interesting take on the nathzarune, I would give him 5 lvls of Mindspy.

It isn't the most OP class, but it works real well with the nathzarunes innate detect thoughts. And is pretty flavorful.

If that isn't beefy enough for you. A nathzarune warshaper can be a formidable melee. They insta-qualify and the ability to grow a bunch of natural attacks in their alternate form combos really well with their free sneak attack 6d6.

Pick up the craven feat for some extra dmg on sneaks. Darkstalker feat might also be worth a look.

AlanBruce
2013-02-01, 03:20 PM
For an interesting take on the nathzarune, I would give him 5 lvls of Mindspy.

It isn't the most OP class, but it works real well with the nathzarunes innate detect thoughts. And is pretty flavorful.

If that isn't beefy enough for you. A nathzarune warshaper can be a formidable melee. They insta-qualify and the ability to grow a bunch of natural attacks in their alternate form combos really well with their free sneak attack 6d6.

Pick up the craven feat for some extra dmg on sneaks. Darkstalker feat might also be worth a look.

I like the Mindspy idea a lot more. Specially since it goes well with the sneaky factor of the monster.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know!