PDA

View Full Version : A bit of an odd quandry to solve- who, or what, is the White King?

Kol Korran
2013-02-01, 09:07 AM
Hello folks, I'm looking for some inspiration on matters. I'll be resuming running a pirate campaign soon, and the party might go to a place that I have previously detailed but... lost the notes to! I've searched for the blasted thing but I can't find it- on computer, on paper, nothing. So I decided- "Hey! that's is a bloody good reason at making it a new!"

What I know: the party and their new ship (they are about 4-5th level) are running away from "the Empire"- a force of colonial tight bunch humans. the party needs a bit of a safe haven to sell loot, repair their ship, make some plans and regroup. so they are looking for some pirate haven, possibly a smuggling operation.

One of this places is Koom-Das, a dwarven smuggling port. I don't know much about Koom- Das (lost my notes), but the few things from memory I do remember:
1) The dwarves running the place hail from a more respectable port, who used to be a major trading port (dwarves in this setting are master merchants and diplomats, having a bonus to CHA).
2) The ruler of Koom Das is rarely seen, and for damned reason I don't remember is called the White King! some of his people (dwarves and non dwarves alike) are the place's sort of law enforcers of Koom Das. they wear either black or white cloaks... (I remember this might play an important role since one of the party members is a beguiler calling himself Mr. Black)
3) There is something important about... potatoes? growing it? using it? smuggling potatoes? damn my tricky memory!
--------------------------------
EDIT:a more rounded up, fuller idea is in a lower post. you can read it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14715372&postcount=20) instead of reading the whole thread up to it.
--------------------------------
I'd like to hear your ideas for the outpost. it doesn't have to include the above, except for the chief of the place to be called a dwarf called The White King (which the characters already know).

a bit of an odd request, but i hope the creativity of the playground might come to assist. thanks!

JoshuaZ
2013-02-01, 09:33 AM
Hello folks, I'm looking for some inspiration on matters. I'll be resuming running a pirate campaign soon, and the party might go to a place that I have previously detailed but... lost the notes to! I've searched for the blasted thing but I can't find it- on computer, on paper, nothing. So I decided- "Hey! that's is a bloody good reason at making it a new!"

What I know: the party and their new ship (they are about 4-5th level) are running away from "the Empire"- a force of colonial tight bunch humans. the party needs a bit of a safe haven to sell loot, repair their ship, make some plans and regroup. so they are looking for some pirate haven, possibly a smuggling operation.

One of this places is Koom-Das, a dwarven smuggling port. I don't know much about Koom- Das (lost my notes), but the few things from memory I do remember:
1) The dwarves running the place hail from a more respectable port, who used to be a major trading port (dwarves in this setting are master merchants and diplomats, having a bonus to CHA).
2) The ruler of Koom Das is rarely seen, and for damned reason I don't remember is called the White King! some of his people (dwarves and non dwarves alike) are the place's sort of law enforcers of Koom Das. they wear either black or white cloaks... (I remember this might play an important role since one of the party members is a beguiler calling himself Mr. Black)
3) There is something important about... potatoes? growing it? using it? smuggling potatoes? damn my tricky memory!

I'd like tyo hear your ideas for the outpost. it doesn't have to include the above, except for the chief of the place to be called a dwarf called The White King (which the characters already know).

a bit of an odd request, but i hope the creativity of the playground might come to assist. thanks!

The White King was called that because he was an albino. The reason he isn't seen frequently is that he's actually been dead for a while. He died without an obvious heir and to prevent both a fight among who would be in charge next and to prevent others from moving in to take over (the White King had a scary reputation) the main merchants and others who ran the port replaced him with an impostor whose skin is whitened using alchemical substances. He doesn't go out in public any more than necessary so that people are less likely to notice what happened.

The White Cloaks personally serve the White King as public enforces providing a semblance of law and order. The Black Cloaks are the ones for secret jobs, assassins, spies and the like. If you make too much of a mess in a tavern fight you get arrested by a White Cloak. If you are a running problem who threatens the security of the port (e.g. likely working for the Empire, or has information that might reveal the White King's secret), the Black Cloaks come for you (generally at night) and you disappear.

Hmm, I may use that for one of my campaigns.

Potatoes are trickier. I don't have any obvious idea there other than someone smuggling something in the bottom of potato shipments.

Kornaki
2013-02-01, 09:44 AM
If you're going the fake albino route:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080914161425AALyjQZ

It's pseudotrue that potatoes can be used as a way to make your skin white. I'm sure in DnD world there's an alchemist that can make it work.

Then one day there's a potato famine and the White King sends the party on an epic quest to get a sack of potatoes before the start of the next month. Let confusion reign

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-01, 09:50 AM
The White King is actually an Old Crystal Dragon (MM2) with the alternate form ability (as presented in Dragon Magic, gives the option of applying the Alterate Form to any true dragon). He hasn't been seen because something (an injury? a curse?) is preventing him from shifting back into his dwarven form.

Firest Kathon
2013-02-01, 10:32 AM
When I read the title of the thread, I immedately thought about chess. The mention of guys in back and white robes actually enforces this. But what to make of it, hm...

Maybe the place looks totally chaotic at first look, but when seen from a special angle it looks exactly like a chessboard? Not from above, because that would be immediatly obvious from a map.

About the potatoes... there is a large city/country nearby whose (primary) inhabitants cannot digest potatoes for some reason or other (a curse, maybe?). Therefor, nobody grows potatoes there, and for the few that can digest them it's a highly-paid specialty. Or it's the smuggler's nest itself. Well, this sonds a bit stupid to me, but maybe it gives you an inspiration :smallsmile:.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-01, 01:07 PM
Lessee...

The White King is not a dwarf. He is a human who was exiled because he's a leper. His name is due to the fact that he is normally seen wrapped in white bandages, and in battle wears/wore white enameled armor. His ultimate goal is revenge on the empire for his exile. He hasn't been seen in a while because his leprosy has progressed to the point that he has difficulty walking.

I'll go with JoshuaZ's idea for the white and black cloaks, though I'll add in the idea that some of the more elite members have glamered cloaks that change color as needed so they can fill both rolls/disguise themselves after a black job.

As for potatoes, they're a member of the nightshade family and can be poisonous. Perhaps the black cloaks are fond of extracting and using this poison. Or the noble ladies use it in the same way Italian noblewomen used belladonna and are derisively known as "potato eaters." (Though really, it's used as eye drops.)

Zanthy1
2013-02-01, 01:28 PM
The White King was called that because he was an albino. The reason he isn't seen frequently is that he's actually been dead for a while. He died without an obvious heir and to prevent both a fight among who would be in charge next and to prevent others from moving in to take over (the White King had a scary reputation) the main merchants and others who ran the port replaced him with an impostor whose skin is whitened using alchemical substances. He doesn't go out in public any more than necessary so that people are less likely to notice what happened.

The White Cloaks personally serve the White King as public enforces providing a semblance of law and order. The Black Cloaks are the ones for secret jobs, assassins, spies and the like. If you make too much of a mess in a tavern fight you get arrested by a White Cloak. If you are a running problem who threatens the security of the port (e.g. likely working for the Empire, or has information that might reveal the White King's secret), the Black Cloaks come for you (generally at night) and you disappear.

Hmm, I may use that for one of my campaigns.

Potatoes are trickier. I don't have any obvious idea there other than someone smuggling something in the bottom of potato shipments.

This is really good! Combine it with Kornaki's alchemy and you have got a baller campaign idea! Although maybe instead of sending the PCs to find a sack of potatoes, they have to investigate a blight that is slowly creeping through the cities potato farms? (which are the cities main export in addition to main ingredient in many traditional dishes).

ArcturusV
2013-02-01, 01:38 PM
For a more sinister approach to Potatoes, as well as referencing the Smuggling Aspect...

Keep in mind the original potatoes were referred to as "The Devil's Root" and such because it was actually highly toxic. It was efforts at controlled breeding and weeding out the toxicity that made it edible. For most of the world, this is the truth. They're in a situation where Potatoes might be a staple crop in areas like your smuggling port of Koom Das (For some reason I wanted to call it Karas Doom... had to check the first post again. ^^;; ). A delicacy in others as they don't grow it and have no real reason to cultivate it, typically due to a better climate more suited towards grains and such.

The Potatoes are a "legit" trade item. Koom Das provides a surplus of it which they can ship out to the Empire, other ports, etc. But it's also an illegal item in the regards that several of the more lethal, poisonous strains are still maintained. Perhaps mutated to grow particular substances that are useful as poisons, or even drugs. Any given cargo ship might have a hold full of nothing but wholesome, nutritious potatoes waiting to be baked with bacon, cheese, and sour cream... or might be a basket of impending death. But potatoes are cheap to grow, abundant, and liked as a variation among populations from the same old, same old fare their location offers among local food, so despite known dangers and folk stories of a guy who died after eating Potato Soup one day, there's still a demand for it.

Kol Korran
2013-02-14, 05:17 AM
Damn my memory- I posted a thread and then forgot about it? ominous forces are at work here...

I read through the responses and thought some more, and here are my thoughts:

The White King was a dwarf adventurer, who found this island, and on it a special kind of vegetable- the potatoes. But the island was also infested by some strange monsters (I'm thinking of something alike advanced chokers, possibly with poisonous attacks) who rose from deep caverns every night to search, tend and gather these potatoes, a main stay of their nourishment.

The White King and his band of adventurers tried to fight off the creatures, but could mostly stay them off, not fully destroy or repel them. and the creatures grew angry. Alas, to the White King's frustration, he couldn't find a way to grow these wonderful, nutritious, magnificent potatoes anywhere else, on any other island. it seemed like the very ground of this island was somehow important to this.

and so he established a port, and his collectors dared the creatures wrath time and time again to steal the precious potatoes. many things could be made from them- food, Vodka (a new drink to the isles, HIGHLY expensive) and also as some of you suggested- a secretive almost untraceable poison... the potatoes are profitable! But their existence is kept quite secret.

but what of the creatures? The White King found they have aversion to light (which is why they come out mostly at night) and thus worked to have his armor made shimmering white (also good for reputation and commerce), and his trusted white cloaks can use a day light spell once a day, if the creatures come to close.

the black cloaks however... I'm still a bit at a loss for them. perhaps a few inhabitants of the port who support the creatures? or maybe the White King uses them to Forcefully recruit great potentials to fight off the creatures? keeping their population in check? or perhaps they can penetrate the creatures' caves, their cloacks giving them some sort of camouflage (might be invisible to darkvision, which is their main form of sight orthe like) and thus learn more of these creature, perhaps take out a few in the dark?

(The white and black cloaks also perform the "general police force" and "secret police" rolls described by JoshuaZ. they just also have more... secretive rolls)

but the creatures have grown restless after quite some time of harassing, and having their food stolen (despite wanting to keep some balance, demand for potatoes have been growing lately, so the White King authorized "expanding" operations). And they are not entirely as dim witted as the surfacers believe... (enter the PCs)

As to the White King himself, I like the idea of him being diseased/ cursed somehow, and therefore not risking the creatures' wrath no more, despite being a higher-level-than-the-PCs adventurer... a debilitating factor, of a sort? hhhmmmm, and Perhaps he called himself The White King based on meeting, or reading, or catching a hint of some creature below. He interpreted it as "The Black King", but he may have misinterpreted it quite wrongly...

those are my thoughts for now, amenable to change. Your thoughts? :smallsmile:

Zanthy1
2013-02-14, 09:43 AM
I like everything you have so far!

I think that the Black cloaks should be more like the secret police though, or like the secret service or government spy group. They do a variety of things, like researching the caves and espionage and stuff, but their cloaks grant them ability to cast invisibility once per day. Something along those lines seems pretty cool. Overall I would have the White Cloaks be like the typical city watch (who patrol the city and such but also the outskirts and defend the walls or whatever, as well as the farmlands surrounding the city) and the Black Cloaks do the more secretive stuff.

I like the idea of the Black King, probably the leader of the critters in the cave? It is probably the thing that cursed him.

This is a really cool idea!

Shining Wrath
2013-02-14, 09:51 AM
He's the White King because he's been underground so long his skin has gone preternaturally pale, and his hair is white from age.

Oh, and he's a vampire. That, too.

The black cloaks know he's a vampire. The white cloaks don't, and don't know that the black cloaks know more than they do.

Talderas
2013-02-14, 11:53 AM
The white king is an imposter as a previous poster suggested. The white king died from choking on potatoes.

Telonius
2013-02-14, 02:29 PM
The White King and the Black King are the same person, each unaware of the other...?

Kornaki
2013-02-14, 02:40 PM
If you want to go deep into the conspiracy:

Vodka is a ridiculously expensive and therefore profitable alcohol because these creatures make gathering the potatoes a dangerous adventure. The creatures were actually wiped out by the White King - but a group of vodka merchants want to maintain the high prices. So they set up the Black Cloaks - they assassinated the White King (and everyone else who knew the creatures were all dead) and replaced him with an imposter. They also disguise themselves as the native creatures and attack people periodically as they attempt to gather the potatoes (except for the work crews of these enterprising gentlemen of business). The Black Cloaks have obviously infiltrated the White Cloaks (since they control the White King) and use their influence there to also "legally" push other prospective vodka merchants out of the city and maintain the current vodka monopoly

Zanthy1
2013-02-14, 04:22 PM
If you want to go deep into the conspiracy:

Vodka is a ridiculously expensive and therefore profitable alcohol because these creatures make gathering the potatoes a dangerous adventure. The creatures were actually wiped out by the White King - but a group of vodka merchants want to maintain the high prices. So they set up the Black Cloaks - they assassinated the White King (and everyone else who knew the creatures were all dead) and replaced him with an imposter. They also disguise themselves as the native creatures and attack people periodically as they attempt to gather the potatoes (except for the work crews of these enterprising gentlemen of business). The Black Cloaks have obviously infiltrated the White Cloaks (since they control the White King) and use their influence there to also "legally" push other prospective vodka merchants out of the city and maintain the current vodka monopoly

Sort of like the Village, but with a more capitalist background. I like it

Icewraith
2013-02-14, 04:51 PM
The White King turns out to a variety of energy draining undead.

In life, he was very tall for a dwarf. His cloak is actually a slightly defective Cloak of Disguise that always sheds Light, as the spell.

He knows if he goes the Wightocalypse route the city will be nuked by Clerics, so he uses the cloak to still appear living and uses his servants, who operate only under cover of darkness in their black cloaks, to slowly and carefully cause dissapearances in the town. To keep the undead population low he occasionally sends a party of newer wights well away from the town with orders to attack the first adventuring party they see.

The King, unbeknownst to himself, is actually the last in a long line of dwarves whose blood and posession of an ancient signet that grants access to a well-hidden treasure vault. The line is noted for being tall for dwarves.

In order to get into the vault, the players need to find the right height light wight White King's bling ring and fight off his night wights.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-14, 05:01 PM
The White King turns out to a variety of energy draining undead.

In life, he was very tall for a dwarf. His cloak is actually a slightly defective Cloak of Disguise that always sheds Light, as the spell.

He knows if he goes the Wightocalypse route the city will be nuked by Clerics, so he uses the cloak to still appear living and uses his servants, who operate only under cover of darkness in their black cloaks, to slowly and carefully cause dissapearances in the town. To keep the undead population low he occasionally sends a party of newer wights well away from the town with orders to attack the first adventuring party they see.

The King, unbeknownst to himself, is actually the last in a long line of dwarves whose blood and posession of an ancient signet that grants access to a well-hidden treasure vault. The line is noted for being tall for dwarves.

In order to get into the vault, the players need to find the right height light wight White King's bling ring and fight off his night wights.

Do the night wights wear bright tights for bite flights?
Does the White King's bling ring sing "My Ding-a-Ling" when used for that thing?

Zanthy1
2013-02-14, 06:42 PM
Do the night wights wear bright tights for bite flights?
Does the White King's bling ring sing "My Ding-a-Ling" when used for that thing?

Dr. Seuss, when did you get here? :smallbiggrin:

Shining Wrath
2013-02-14, 07:02 PM
Dr. Seuss, when did you get here? :smallbiggrin:

I arrived on the back of Shining Wrath, spreading bad rhymes in my path!

Kol Korran
2013-02-15, 09:05 AM
So! I'm quite excited as the ideas have been brewing and stirring in my mind, quite a bit of them thanks to some posts, till I came with a (mostly) cohesive idea.

I'd like to discuss some of the remarks, and then explain my idea. IF you just wish to read about the idea then go to The Scene is Set Up below.

For the White King there were suggestions he's undead, or sick, or an undead. All valid ideas, but they either don't much call for a response from the PCs, or are quite expected, and don't much add to mystery. I wanted the title of White King to imply something more subtle, something not quite obvious at first glance, but which might become clearer later.

When I read the title of the thread, I immedately thought about chess. The mention of guys in black and white robes actually enforces this. But what to make of it, hm...

This idea sparked something in my head, but it just came to fruition. what if The White King is a title for a leader in some conflict? what forces do this king (and troops) symbolize, and what form and shape do they take?

which is when the next post came...

The White King and the Black King are the same person, each unaware of the other...? A Black King! now that sounded quite delicious, something out of a dark fairy tale, sort of. and the idea that they are the same creature? not knowing of their own selves? hhmmm... that implied a much greater connection, and that perhaps both kings are but parts of a greater whole?

The obvious connection to white cloaks and black cloaks are as their troops. on which I'll expand later. but as in any dark fairy tale- there are things on the surface, with a certain form and shape, while under the surface they are quite different. the Surface appearance came from this post:

The White Cloaks personally serve the White King as public enforces providing a semblance of law and order. The Black Cloaks are the ones for secret jobs, assassins, spies and the like.

But what about the potatoes? At first I thought to discard their connection altogether- they feel more like a real world joke reference to me, and not quite attached to the story. But I'm a firm believer in that ideas that strike you as important, should be made to work somehow- often trying to deal with unexpected adventure ingredients bring out the most creative ideas out of you. So for the moment they are in. Though maybe they still need some work. The basic place for them stems from the ability to make both beneficial stuff from them (food, VODKA!) and "bad" stuff (poisons) as explained in the following post:

For a more sinister approach to Potatoes, as well as referencing the Smuggling Aspect...

Keep in mind the original potatoes were referred to as "The Devil's Root" and such because it was actually highly toxic.

The Potatoes are a "legit" trade item. Koom Das provides a surplus of it which they can ship out to the Empire, other ports, etc. But it's also an illegal item in the regards that several of the more lethal, poisonous strains are still maintained. Perhaps mutated to grow particular substances that are useful as poisons, or even drugs. Any given cargo ship might have a hold full of nothing but wholesome, nutritious potatoes waiting to be baked with bacon, cheese, and sour cream... or might be a basket of impending death.

Now what controls which potatoes get grown? and what if the potatoes have a few more... fantastic elements tied to them?

Ok, enough of a discussion, onwards to the Idea:

The Scene is Set Up
The party arrive with their ship to the smuggling port of Koom Das. amongst other things (there are a few more points of interest in the port) they hear of the White King- a dwarf merchant and ex warrior in the wars, who leads this port. he makes his fortune out of heavy commerce but also by selling the special vegetable known as po-ta-to, which can't be grown elsewhere, as well as some special alcohol made out of it-Vodka. people who try the Vodka learn that this isn't just like the earthly counterpart, but lifts the spirit high, granting some moral bonus as well as being damn good!

The White King's guards and law enforcers- the White cloaks monitor the sale of vodka and potatoes, with a strict policy. they are mostly dwarves but come from different races. on the whole they are resolute, firm, a bit overbearing. They also function as Port security and prove to be quite serious combatants if tested...

rumors however tell that there are black cloaks, sometime appearing at the port's street at nights, trying to sell... other things. but beware! for they are forbidden by law (the white cloaks say they are people trying to sabotage the way of the port) and any dealing with these black cloaks makes himself forfeit. also beware, for at times the white cloaks disguise themselves as black cloaks, trying to catch the unwary no gooder. (this last bit is false, a rumor spread by the White robes, to dissuade dealing with them)

Out side the port, more inland to the island, are the main potato fields, guarded by the White Cloaks from ravaging monsters from the island. You are NOT allowed to go to the potato fields.

Also, in a few places around the port there are signs calling for the "extermination of yappers!" (some lowly race, my current inspiration is the caricature of kobolds going "yip! yip!" a prize for their heads is given. why? they cause mischief, and sabotage the agriculture.

How did it got to be so
A few years to a decade ago, an exploring ship to Koom Das found out the potatoes, and the local race- the yappers. realizing the possible profitable potential, an expedition to the place came, led by the dwarf who'll turn out to later become The White King, his wife and some of their clan. They fought and got rid of most of the yappers easily, driving them into caves and hidden places. The last hold of the yappers however was quite a fierce one- traps, cunning fighting and even some magic was used against them. it was a deep on a steep hill overlooking the potato fields expanse. the dwarves lost quite a few people that day. The grove had better be worth it!

And indeed it was, for in the oddly illuminated grove, between light and shadow, was... something i need to work on. basically it's something that kept a special fey spirit, the spirit of Discord bound here. (intertwined trees, held so by some means? a big pool with several outlets, but all blocked? or perhaps even a literal "naturally carved" chess game or some other board game?). whatever it was, the leader and his wife undid it, and by thus have unwittingly released the Spirit of Discord

And it took a place in the husband and wife, though subtly at first, without them noticing it. it took a place in their mind, where it started to change them... The dwarves started to build the port, and spread the word amongst smugglers, as they learned how to cultivate and grow the potatoes. To the husband (who slowly became more grim, resolute, and white skinned) came the secret of making a special drink- Vodka! a great new drink that would sell highly! to the wife however (who grew more irritable, hateful, mischievous, and of darker complexion) came the secret of growing poisonous potatos, a potent killer.

Discord has fallen between husband and wife. at first they argued, but then nearly came into blows, the dispute growing so severe. But the wife fled into the surrounding area (need to work on an exact local). and the husband was too grief stricken to follow her. he decided to let her be, as long as she won't cause too much trouble. The White King and the Black Queen have taken their positions over the board...

And Discord was happy- for as long as his two parts were separated, he would always be free! the fun was just about to begin.

business started to thrive. people got in, and with them money. but a few people also went missing. The Black Queen realized she needed more force to battle the White King, and discord has given her the secret of the Black Cloaks- dark woven cloaks that once attached to a wearer, partly take over his or her mind, making them loyal to the Queen. plus, they gain some nifty dark powers. The Black Queen started to amass her army.

But Discord won't forget his other half, and would give the White King the secret of the White Cloaks, similar in concept to that of the black cloaks, but more to the personality and demeanor of the White King's side. The King was hesitant at first to use the cloaks, partly realizing their danger, but decided to award them to his closest troops at first, and later to any potential warrior that might prove themselves. soon, the ranks of the White Cloaks swelled as well.

The Cloaks: the white and black cloaks should not be opposite to one another. MY idea is that they implant a very strong suggestion (or a similar power) into the mind of the wearer, mostly to that of utmost loyalty to either king or queen, as well as a bit of a personality change (grim and dour, sneaky and mischievous).

still need to work on the powers. the White cloaks are mostly powers of light, detection, and perhaps of fortitude in battle. the black cloaks forces are of stealth, persuasion and possibly even shape shifting into some devilish beats, homebrew for this occasion.

Oh, 2 more things: The White King or Black Queen can make only so many cloaks before they are ineffective- their power comes directly from the "monarch". if a cloaked figure is killed, a new substitute is found. The White King usually offers the position to a worthy warrior of some sort. usually by tricking him. The Queen however usually send her black cloaks to just kidnap people and force them to wear the cloaks.

the cloaks ROOT themselves in the person's body, making their removal (which won't be initiated by the cloak wearer due to loyalty, must be forced) extremely painful, border line lethal. there may be some other ways (remove curse? "killing" one of the monarchs (see as follows) not sure, I need to work on it.

business grew, and the cloaks battled behind the scenes. in the port itself the white cloaks were much more dominant, but in the wild and fields the black cloaks prevailed. however, their main battle was in the spread of their potatoes, for now that things were nicely underway, Discord have taught the King and Queen a few more secrets (Important note: the king and queen are not aware of Discord's presence in their minds. they believe the ideas are their own).

The White King learns how to make his vodka really something! it can uplift the spirit, block fear and more! (actual mechanical effects, need to work on it). The Black Queen (who at this point have become more favorite to Discord) learns the secret of "Devil Root"- specially grown potatoes, that if planted might grow a similar spirit to Discord (a sort of a young version of it?) Discord wishes to spread itself amongst the isles...

Both Monarchs use the cloaks to try and push their sales more and more (the selling of vodka making potatoes in all popular, and thus promoting the selling of "Devil Root" under guise. this point might need more work).

All the while the Yappers watch things in concern, hiding as best they can, living a meager existence, but knowing very well the secret of Discord- the fey/ fiend their ancestors long help imprison, and whose' keeping was left to them.

How do the players come in
The White King is Desperate to find a way to defeat/ help/ persuade his wife, but doesn't want other "meddlers" to try and "solve" this, because they wouldn't understand and would probably get her killed. She on the other hand would love to see him butchered, but for some reason can't seem to get to it. (Discord prevents her)

I want to get the party into this conflict without a clear side of whom to choose. The White King and Black Queen are not even- the king had more troops, more defenses, but they are all somewhat weaker, slower, and since they all go under his personality change, they all think mostly defensive- "wait it out/ bunker game".

The Black Queen has fewer forces, but they are more powerful (the black cloaks enable polymorphing into a type of monster, not sure what yet.) quicker, and she is quite more resourceful on her feet and in a tight corner.

At first I'd like to get them to feel the port and the mystery underneath- the potato goods, who are the black cloaks? and so on. next we can entangle the PCs by getting at their Crew members- one might be persuaded to join the White Cloaks, or another kidnapped by the Black cloaks, and they seek to rescue them, while White Cloaks give them lame excuses or tales as to what happened to them ("he just chose another ship, happens all the time...) there should be some atmosphere of a cover up...

I'll let the party investigate where they will. I assume they'll either confront the White King and his forces, or the Black Queen somehow. I'll need to work on their personalities, interactions and also builds a bit more (my campaign is a bit complex around classes). then at some point I assume they'll decide one is more right than the other (I intend to make them both to look not entirely good, not entirely evil, both hopefully somewhat sympathetic. How do I make the Black Queen be so?), and go and try and deal with the other and their forces.

(or they may decide this mess is not for them and just sail away, but assuming they don't, follow me a bit further) The "final" battle with King/ Queen turns out to have a twist however- once the monarch is struck dead, the spirit of Discord passes on to the one who struck (most likely a PC). Discord can only defeated itself if both it's parts are joined together. Which may require the PCs to become real inventive and clever about somehow bringing them both. obviously, it's high time for the yappers to supply this information (the PCs might get it from them before hand, if they are smart).

Discord is joined, fought and contained, ladi-ladi-da! it's influence no longer tying the potatoes to only this isle, the yappers may teach the PCs how to grow potatoes, make vodka, and some poison. (not as great as the later revelations to the monarchs, but still a VERY good income source).

what do you think? :smallamused:

Zanthy1
2013-02-15, 11:59 AM
I want to play that. So much

Kol Korran
2013-02-16, 08:28 AM
I want to play that. So much
thanks for the compliment, feel free to take it to your game.

no other comments though? :smallconfused: both good and bad are cool, and suggestions to improve are the best.

(I should really learn to write shorter posts :smallsigh:)