PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Wizardry Questions

Diarmuid
2013-02-01, 11:06 AM
1) Does the ring double all spell slots, or only those granted by class and not bonus slots for high casting stat?

2) If you had arcane spells from 2 classes, are both doubled or just 1?

Im playing a Spellthief/Sorc/Unseen Seer and I'm looking at going from 11 first level spells to anywhere from 17-22 depending on application/stacking of the wizardry bonus.

I know it's not a huge boost, but it'll likely determine if I try to acquire a higher level RoW in the future.

Cranthis
2013-02-01, 11:10 AM
1) Does the ring double all spell slots, or only those granted by class and not bonus slots for high casting stat?

2) If you had arcane spells from 2 classes, are both doubled or just 1?

Im playing a Spellthief/Sorc/Unseen Seer and I'm looking at going from 11 first level spells to anywhere from 17-22 depending on application/stacking of the wizardry bonus.

I know it's not a huge boost, but it'll likely determine if I try to acquire a higher level RoW in the future.

1. It says spells per day, and that bonus spells from high casting stats are not doubled.
2. If you have the spells from both, it would double both.

Vaz
2013-02-01, 11:12 AM
Just as an Add-on, AFB at the minute (sorry to hijack), does it increase the spell slots lower than it as well?

Diarmuid
2013-02-01, 11:14 AM
The specify which specific level of slots are doubled.

And now I feel dumb for not reading to the end of the line. Odd they would put the bonus spell part after where it lists the levels for each type of ring.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-02, 10:22 AM
I guess if you have multiple arcane casting classes, it could be worth the price. Generally, pearls of power (or memento magica, if spontaneous) can give you same amount of additional spell slots for much less money.

aeauseth
2013-02-09, 12:54 AM
Just as an Add-on, AFB at the minute (sorry to hijack), does it increase the spell slots lower than it as well?

Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#wizardry), the wearer’s arcane spells per day are doubled for one specific spell level. A ring of wizardry I doubles 1st-level spells, a ring of wizardry II doubles 2nd-level spells, a ring of wizardry III doubles 3rd-level spells, and a ring of wizardry IV doubles 4th-level spells. Bonus spells from high ability scores or school specialization are not doubled.

So at most 4 extra spells for a wizard, 6 for a sorcerer. I suppose by RAW if you had two arcane classes you might squeeze extra slots out of both arcane classes.

BTW: A ring of Wizardry is rarely worth the price. If the DM hands one out, TAKE it. If you can craft one, then consider it. But I'm not sure I could ever recommend buying one. The Peals of Power are MUCH cheaper, but not quite as versatile. Could probably buy wands of all the spells you might want to cast cheaper than buying the ring. Also you can only have 2 (maybe 3) rings, but an unlimited number of wands.