PDA

View Full Version : [PF+3.X] Monsters that are (much) bigger than Colossal

Darius Kane
2013-02-01, 01:46 PM
Are there any such monsters in offical books? Are there any rules/guidelines how to use them? If not, how would you rule them to work? Additional sizes above Colossal, or maybe treating parts of the monster as separate creatures with their own hp, attacks, etc. like in some video games?

Edge of Dreams
2013-02-01, 02:10 PM
If I remember right, at least one D&D book explained that you would measure such monsters by calling them Colossal+ (for 1 step above Colossal), Colossal++ (for 2 steps), Colossal+++, etc. For each step above Colossal, apply the size modifiers for the difference between Gargantuan and Colossal again. Beyond that, I believe there are no official rules.

Coming up with some custom rules for them could certain be fun, though. Fantasy novels and video games are full of examples of heroes climbing up the monster's back to attack its head and other such shenanigans. Get creative with it, and you could have a very memorable encounter.

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-02-01, 02:15 PM
I'm not aware of any official monsters that big. If I were homebrewing one for a game, I would probably run it like some of the larger bosses in Shadow of the Colossus. (If you haven't played it, I highly recommend doing so, or at least watching some Youtube videos.)

Treat the mosnter like a location rather than a creature and say it's armor/hide/whatever is too tough to be effectively damaged except at certain locations. The players have to concern themselves with getting to those locations (climb and/or jump checks, fly spells and similar at higher levels) while avoiding its attemts to shake them off or attack them. For weak spots, eyes are obvious and ears could also work, as could an old wound that didn't heal right or something like that. If the monster is magical enough (maybe it's a construct or a huge undead or something) you could have magic runes or crystals or the like scattered around it that the PCs have to destroy or neutralize for the weak spots. Someone trying to attack it from inside might try to get into its mouth, but they'd face massive teeth and a huge tongue. If they got past that, they might even have to contend with acid damage in its stomach or at least getting a face full of some breath weapon it couldn't use effectively when they were on it/in its face before.

For a really epic feeling to the fight, make its behavior or even form change the more they've damaged it; at first, it might ignore them or not even be able to feel them like you might not notice a single mosquito but once they damage it, they have its attention. It migh start by just swatting at them but as they make it more and more clear that they pose a real threat, it should go all out to kill them, including using environmental hazards like scraping its back against cliff faces if they're climbing on it. (Maybe it could be aquatic and dive under water or have fire resistance and wade into lava or something.)

Darn, now I really want to come up with a way to make something like this work in my game.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-01, 02:31 PM
If I remember right, at least one D&D book explained that you would measure such monsters by calling them Colossal+ (for 1 step above Colossal), Colossal++ (for 2 steps), Colossal+++, etc. For each step above Colossal, apply the size modifiers for the difference between Gargantuan and Colossal again. Beyond that, I believe there are no official rules.

I know that the Draconomicon has rules about this under the section about advancing True Dragons, but I'm not sure if it's featured anywhere else.

ksbsnowowl
2013-02-01, 02:47 PM
Here you go:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonAdvanced.htm

Nothing gets larger than Colossal+

There are no additional size modifiers for getting to Colossal+

Much of this is also covered in the Draconomicon. IIRC, the Draconomicon does grant extra reach to a dragon of Colossal+ size.

herrhauptmann
2013-02-01, 03:32 PM
Here you go:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonAdvanced.htm

Nothing gets larger than Colossal+

There are no additional size modifiers for getting to Colossal+

Much of this is also covered in the Draconomicon. IIRC, the Draconomicon does grant extra reach to a dragon of Colossal+ size.

There's a few from Dragon Mag that get Colossal++, like the Time Dragons.

GreenSerpent
2013-02-01, 05:20 PM
Third party - look at the Immortal's Handbook Epic Bestiary. Titanic, Macro-Fine, Macro-Diminutive... and so on.

Time Dragons are the only first-party ones I know of.