PDA

View Full Version : Augment Crystals and shields

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-01, 02:28 PM
Well.

I didn't really receive a satisfactory answer in the Q and A (sorry, Giles), so I've decided to put the matter to the forums at large.

The MIC states that you can only put a single crystal in any weapon/armor/shield.

But they wrote those rules with the intent of not stacking crystals (for example, having 1d6 cold and 1d6 fire for only 6000 gp).

But shields are a special case, specifically when you're bashing with them, because then (with the appropriate feats) they act as weapons and shields simultaneously. Now, I know that you have to enchant them separately, and that makes sense.

But that doesn't overrule the clause in the MIC about a single augment crystal per item.

Does this seem like an oversight to anyone else?

And before you say it, I know - WotC making a mistake? Say it ain't so.

andromax
2013-02-01, 02:43 PM
If you put shield spikes on your shield, it essentially becomes 2 items. Shield and weapon.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-01, 02:53 PM
If you put shield spikes on your shield, it essentially becomes 2 items. Shield and weapon.

And I completely agree with that, no question.

What I really mean is when you use it as a bludgeoning weapon (if, for instance, you want to use it with the mighty wallop family of spells). It's metaphysically two distinct things (as evidenced by you having to enchant them separately) encased in a single form.

Edge of Dreams
2013-02-01, 02:56 PM
Even if it's not perfectly RAW, allowing 2 augment crystals on a shield, one that ONLY affects its defensive properties and another that ONLY affects its offensive properties, seems totally fine to me. It's not going to break the game any time soon.