PDA

View Full Version : Queen of the Land (3.5, MH Conversion, PEACH)

Larkas
2013-02-01, 02:28 PM
Foreword
I'm converting a few monsters from the Monster Hunter universe for use in D&D 3.5 (mainly the monsters known as Flying Wyverns). I already made the Rathalos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14629192#post14629192), a magnificent monster that was the flagship monster of the original Monster Hunter game. Now, I tried to make its mate: Rathian, the Queen of the Land. Let me know what you think!

Keep in mind, however, that the Monster Hunter world is very low-magic. In fact, all the magic you can find there actually come from parts of the monsters you hunt (so the "treasure" from hunting such monsters should actually be body parts to make strong arms and armors out of). As such, they are specially suited to an E6 game, which is why I aimed at CR 11. Don't be afraid to tell me if you think I've blown the "CR allowance".

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110318215151/monsterhunter/images/thumb/8/83/Rathian_Art.jpg/596px-Rathian_Art.jpg

Rathian
Huge Dragon (Fire)
Hit Dice: 14d12+84 (175)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 100 ft. (poor)
Initiative: +1
Armor Class: 27 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +18 natural); touch 9; flat-footed 26
Base Attack Bonus: +14; Grapple: +29
Attack: Bite +19 melee (2d8+7) or sting +19 melee (1d8+7 plus poison)
Full-Attack: Bite +19 melee (2d8+7) and gore +17 melee (2d6+3) and sting +17 melee (1d8+3 plus poison) and 2 talons +17 melee (1d8+3) and 2 wings +17 melee (1d8+3) or bite +19 melee (2d8+7) and gore +17 melee (2d6+3) and tail slap +17 melee (2d6+3) and 2 talons +17 melee (1d8+3) and 2 wings +17 melee (1d8+3)
Space: 15 ft.; Reach: 10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, frightful presence, poison, improved grab, wyvern rage
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic sleep and paralysis, low-light vision, scent, spell resistance 25 (11+HD)
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +10, Will +11
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 12, Con 23, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Listen +19, Spot +19
Feats: Ability Focus (poison), Flyby Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Multiattack, Power Attack
Environment: Temperate or warm forests or hills
Organization: Solitary, mated pair (Rathalos and Rathian) or clutch (an adult Rathian and 1-3 noncombatant medium Rathalos and Rathian)
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 15-20 HD (Huge); 21 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: —

This giant flying lizard has a dark green hide and large spotted wings. It is very bulky, sporting powerful jaws, strong talons and a sharp spike at its chin. It also has a very strong tail, with a heavy lump at its end and a vicious stinger at its tip.

The Rathian is the female counterpart to the Rathalos. It is a dangerous, poisonous flying wyvern.

The Rathian is deep green in color, though some hunters tell of pink and golden varieties; if these really exist, they are exceedingly rare. It measures close to 24 feet from its snout to the base of its tail, though it has a very long tail and a somewhat elongated chin that ends in a piercing horn-like structure. Its wingspan is about 40 feet. It weighs about 2 tons.

The Rathian is a caring mother and a powerful predator, though it’s not very intelligent. It is incapable of speech.

Combat

The Rathian is a vicious predator and a caring mother. It stays away from settlements except for exceptional circumstances, but will promptly attack prey in its territory in order to feed itself and its young. It preys on larger animals, however, and will only attack medium or smaller humanoids if it feels threatened.

The Rathian is not as adept as the Rathalos at flying, and will prefer to fight on land rather than attacking from above. It will promptly charge at its target, attempting to use its stinger thereafter as soon as possible in order to poison its victim. It is not averse to taking to the sky in order to flee or to better position itself against an enemy, however.

A Rathian can slash with its talons only when making a flyby attack. Furthermore, it must choose between making a sting or a tail slap attack when performing a full attack.

Breath Weapon (Su): A Rathian’s breath weapon is unusual in that it is neither a cone nor a line, but mimicks a fireball spell. The Rathian spews a spherical mass of flames that detonates on impact or at its maximum range.

The range of this ability is 100 feet, and the area of detonation is a 20 feet radius spread. The breath weapon deals 7d8 points of fire damage (1d8 for every two racial HD the Rathian has). The breath weapon allows a Reflex save for half, as usual, and the DC is 23 (10+1/2 the Rathian’s racial HD+the Rathian’s Constitution modifier). It is usable only once every 1d4 rounds.

Frightful Presence (Ex): A Rathian can inspire terror by attacking, charging or even roaring. This ability’s radius is 30 ft. Affected creatures must succeed on a DC 18 (10+1/2 the Rathian’s racial HD+the Rathian’s Charisma modifier) Will save or become shaken, remaining in that condition for 2d4 rounds. An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to that Rathian’s frightful presence for 24 hours. Frightful presence is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Poison (Ex): When a Rathian hits with its sting attack, it injects poison. Injury, Fortitude DC 25 (10+1/2 the Rathian’s racial HD+the Rathian’s Constitution modifier), initial and secondary damage 2d6 Con.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Rathian must hit with its talons. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and stings.

Wyvern Rage (Ex): A Rathian may rage as a Barbarian of its HD. At 11 HD, it gains the benefits of Greater Rage (which means that a Rathian usually does). At 17 HD, it gains the benefits of Tireless Rage. At 20 HD, it gains the benefits of Mighty Rage. Unlike a Barbarian, however, a Rathian may only fly into a rage if its hit points have been reduced to less than half its total, or if it has just failed a saving throw.

http://images.wikia.com/monsterhunter/images/8/8e/Rathian-MH3.png

Doorhandle
2013-02-01, 07:26 PM
Monster hunter? in my D&D.

YES. GOOD. MORE.

Also, 7 natural attacks? Is that a bit excessive?

and The breath-weapon seems weak to me, but I'm not terribly good at gauging damage/level.

Larkas
2013-02-01, 09:26 PM
Monster hunter? in my D&D.

YES. GOOD. MORE.

Hehehe, glad you like the idea! I will be making the Tigrex next, and maybe the Nargacuga soon, so stay tuned! :smallsmile:

Also, 7 natural attacks? Is that a bit excessive?

and The breath-weapon seems weak to me, but I'm not terribly good at gauging damage/level.

On the natural attacks, it might be a little excessive... But keep in mind: it doesn't have pounce. And can only use its talons if making a flyby attack, so you're really looking at 5 attacks in a full attack, usually.

And on the breath weapon, it is comparable to a Juvenile Silver Dragon, which is 1 CR lower and does 1 extra die of damage. It is a little on the weak side, but not by much. These things are supposed to be melee powerhouses, though, so I hope it isn't too much of an issue. :smallsmile: But also keep in mind, this breath weapon is fireball-like, so it might bring up strategically interesting uses! ... I hope. What do you think?