PDA

View Full Version : The Periodic Table of Elementals (again)

Geordnet
2013-02-02, 01:52 AM
This project is to make a series of 'chemical' elementals to augment or replace the traditional four. Currently I have no plans to include any element after Polonium except Radon, Radium, Thorium, Uranium, and Plutonium, but that still leaves 89 elements to work with.

Each elemental will come in exactly one size. This is to make it easier to maintain both balance and variety. These elementals are designed to appear only as summoned creatures (which disappear upon expiration); OP takes no responsibility for the consequences of giving your players a ten-ton Gold Elemental corpse.

Sorry about the messy/sparse OP; I need to clean it up soon. For now, I suggest newcomers start at the end of the thread and skim upwards to find my most recent post.

Original OP:
Foreword, of the tome Chemistry Periodica:

In many institutes of learning and the sciences, apprentices are encouraged to explore new ideas and defy conventional thinking. But the expectation is usually for the students' fancies to come to naught, that they will come to realize the wisdom of their precursors and gain some small measure of humility. Yet the magisters often forget the lessons they learned when they themselves were the learners; and their arrogance necessarily transfers to their apprentices.

Therefore I leave behind this record, among others, as a warning of the great hubris an un- or poorly-mentored prodigal young mind can develop... And in the hopes that someday, man will be ready for the knowledge of the Periodical Elements.....

Ok, so I suppose I could technically resurrect this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224906), but that was over a year (and a college-level chem course) ago, and was really off-tangent.

Anyways, now I'm getting a bit more serious about this. I want to not only create full and unique stat lists for every element of which the physical (macroscopic) properties are known, but also supply a bit of background and story behind them, perhaps even make a module.

However, I won't be going that far by myself... While I enjoy creative narrative work (when I feel inspired, like now) I have neither the experience nor the inclination to "work the system", if that's the right term... So, I'd very much like it if anyone wants to help with that, especially with balancing the stats (and proofreading!).

So, before I get into it, I've set up a few fundamental design decisions:

Every Elemental will come in exactly one size. There are more than enough as it is; this way will also help scale power easier.
Elementals will be sorted out into tiers, corresponding to different levels of Summon Monster or Summon Nature's Ally.
I'm not doing anything with Z>=100. The properties of the synthetic elements are just too unknown, and that would be too many anyways.
Einsteinium is reserved for an Epic-Level summon... So that leaves just 98 (of which only 84 are "primordial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primordial_element)").
Elementals' power will primarily be determined by relative physical properties, and not necessarily their atomic number, mass, or radius.
Alkalines and Halogens will deal Reduction and Oxidation damage, not acid damage.

Also, a few things which I've realized that previous threads have missed:

While the majority of elements are listed as "solid", Elementals aren't necessarily at STP. Gallium, for instance, will melt below body temperature... And both Astatine and Francium generate so much heat through decay that they'll immediately vaporize.
NOTHING can stop Fluorine. Metals oxidize, WATER BURNS, glass is eaten away. Anything even remotely flammable will spontaneously combust when exposed to concentrated Fluorine. A Fluorine Elemental would look a lot like a raging ball of fire.
The transparent gasses can easily be made visible by having them glow as if in a gas discharge tube.

So, um, I guess I'm rambling aren't I? Well then, here's my first attempt at making some elementals:

Hydrogen:
{table]Hydrogen Elemental|Tiny Elemental (Chemical Element, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice:|1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative:| +7
Speed:|Fly 100 ft. (perfect) (20 squares)
Armor Class:| 18 (+2 size, +3 Dex, +3 Natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple:|+1/-7
Attack:|Slam +5 melee (1d3)
Full-Attack:|Slam +5 melee (1d3)
Space/Reach:| 2½ft/0ft
Special Attacks:|Hydrogen Mastery
Special Qualities:| Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Luminescence, immunity to acid, vulnerability to fire, vulnerability to oxidation, vulnerability to reduction.
Saves:|Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +0
Abilities:|Str 6, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills:| Listen +2, Spot +2
Feats:| Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse
Environment:|Elemental Plane of Water, Quasi-Elemental Plane of Vacuum.
Organization:|Dihydrogen Monoxide, Diatomic Hydrogen.
Challenge Rating:| ½
Treasure:|Up to a gallon of clean water if combusted, and a method of collecting and condensing the steam is achieved.
Alignment:| Neutral
Advancement:| -
[/table]

Appearence:
Violet/Purple ionic gas with crackling hot-pink "lightning".
http://images-of-elements.com/hydrogen.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Hydrogen_discharge_tube.jpg

Combat:

Hydrogen Mastery (Ex):
Hydrogen Elemental gets +1 to-hit and +1 damage against enemies consisting of a significant portion of Hydrogen. (Water, and pretty much all life.)

Luminescence (Ex):
The Hydrogen Elemental glows faintly with magically-induced luminescence. The light is not enough to see by, but allows enemies to make a spot check to locate the Hydrogen Elemental even in complete (non-magical) darkness.

Helium:
{table]Helium Elemental|Tiny Elemental (Chemical Element, Noble Gas, Extraplanar)

Hit Dice:|1d8 (4 hp)

Speed:|Fly 100 ft. (perfect) (20 squares)

Armor Class:| 18 (+2 size, +3 Dex, +3 Natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15

Base Attack/Grapple:|+1/-7

Attack:|Slam +5 melee (1d3)

Full-Attack:|Slam +5 melee (1d3)

Space/Reach:| 2½ft/0ft

Special Attacks:|Helium Mastery

Special Qualities:| Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Luminescence, immunity to acid, immunity to oxidation, immunity to reduction.

Abilities:|Str 6, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 11

Skills:| Listen +2, Spot +2

Environment:| Quasi-Elemental Plane of Vacuum.

Organization:| Atomic Helium.

Challenge Rating:| ½

Treasure:|None.

Advancement:| 2 HD (Tiny)

[/table]

Appearence:
Violet-pink ionic gas with crackling red-orange "lightning".
http://images-of-elements.com/helium.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Helium_discharge_tube.jpg

Combat:

Helium Mastery (Ex):
If supplied an airtight bag, the Helium Elemental can form a balloon that will lift up to 120 lbs. of weight. The Helium Elemental can be ordered to follow the commands of a creature it is lifting, providing that creature with Fly 20 ft. (good) (4 squares). Multiple Helium Elementals may work together to lift loads more than 120 lbs. A creature being lifted this way is considered flat-footed. (The bag need not be closed on the bottom, but must be airtight on the top. If the bag has a tiny hole in it, the lifting capacity is reduced to 60 lbs.)

Luminescence (Ex):
The Helium Elemental glows faintly with magically-induced luminescence. The light is not enough to see by, but allows enemies to make a spot check to locate the Helium Elemental even in complete (non-magical) darkness.

What I was trying to do here was make some weak elementals that could be included in Summon Monster I or II. The Helium Elemental has more health and HD and fewer weaknesses, but the Hydrogen Elemental's Hydrogen Mastery bonus is applicable in almost every combat situation. And +1 damage is very significant when you're normally dealing only 1d3.

Or at least I think so; but I'd like someone more experienced to verify kindly.

Frathe
2013-02-02, 02:17 AM
This seems like a really big project to tackle. 98 elements instead of 4. Wow.

I suspect I see a... trend in their healths. :smallbiggrin: Hydrogen should have 6 hp, though; you truncate, not round.

Geordnet
2013-02-02, 09:09 AM
This seems like a really big project to tackle. 98 elements instead of 4. Wow.
Yeah, it's big. I wouldn't be starting it if I didn't have at least a rough idea of what I'm going to do for most of them, though.

I suspect I see a... trend in their healths. :smallbiggrin: Hydrogen should have 6 hp, though; you truncate, not round.
Fixed. But actually, I don't intend to follow atomic number too much... For instance, Carbon Elementals are going to be huge while Selenium Elementals will be small.

LordErebus12
2013-02-02, 09:31 AM
Yeah, it's big. I wouldn't be starting it if I didn't have at least a rough idea of what I'm going to do for most of them, though.

Fixed. But actually, I don't intend to follow atomic number too much... For instance, Carbon Elementals are going to be huge while Selenium Elementals will be small.

perhaps rarity should dictate power level? carbon being more common, more likely to reach massive size.

naturally on the elemental plane of earth this rule is totally ignored.

Jormengand
2013-02-02, 09:41 AM
perhaps rarity should dictate power level? carbon being more common, more likely to reach massive size.

What about the elemental plane of carbon? :smalltongue:

No, I like this idea. Keep them coming.

Geordnet
2013-02-02, 09:56 AM
Rarity is one of the things I'm considering when ranking Elementals by power. If an element is neither particularly abundant, and lacks any exceptional properties, then it will be relegated to a lesser level. (For instance, Selenium.)

I'm going to stick hard and fast to the one element -> one size rule. There's already enough overlap between very similar elements as it is!

What about the elemental plane of carbon? :smalltongue:
I'm primarily using Goldschmidt Classification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldschmidt_classification) to determine Elemental Plane of origin. Which would place Carbon on the Plane of Air.

No, I like this idea. Keep them coming.
Very well, then:

The Nature of Elementals:
The four Classical Elements, and there corresponding Elementals, are well understood by most scholars. By alchemy, we know that they form all we see... But they are not the true fundamental substance of reality.

The synthesis of the Classical Elements is merely a way of viewing and modeling the alchemical composition of matter. This is not an invalid model, either; however this is neither the only model nor the most accurate.

The Classical Elementals are merely an embodiment of the mental constructs of alchemists... But whether the Elementals were formed by these concepts, or if these concepts developed due to the Elementals, is unknown. The Chemical Elementals represent the true nature of matter... And yet their form is given to them by man as well.

Unlike Classical Elementals, Chemical Elementals do not naturally exist in humanoid form outside the bounds of summoning. Instead, they are dispersed throughout the fabric of existence, managing the reactions of the Chemical Element which is their domain. It is only when summoning spells, which are used to summoning humanoid-form Elementals, are used that they coalesce into such shapes.

While intelligent, Chemical Elementals are always completely unbiased and neutral. This is in contrast to Classical Elementals, which have been, on occasion, reported to have taken positions of malevolence or benevolence. Which is quite fortunate for life in general, if you think about it: just imagine what chaos would occur if an Oxygen Elemental held a grudge against a Carbon Elemental, and refused to bond with it!

EDIT:
I've added a few links to images for the H and He Elementals. Also, I've made Helium Mastery into a far more useful skill. I plan to do the same with other Mastery skills in the future: putting all element-specific abilities under them.

Also, I'd like for a veteran to assess them, and tell me if they'd fit better in Summon Monster I or II.

rweird
2013-02-02, 08:19 PM
Elementals have d8 HD, so unless they have some special elemental type (which would be fine, though if it is, it should be included somewhere), HD should be switched to d8s.

Why do they have +4 HP with a con of 10?

Also, the Hydrogen Elemental shouldn't have 1 HD and a BAB of +2, Weapon Finesse should be a bonus feat, and it has one skill point left unspent. Much of the same goes for the Helium Elemental. Finally, they should have advancement of -, not the number of HD they currently possess.

Erik Vale
2013-02-02, 08:57 PM
This looks like fun. Keeping them all tiny size is good [people can upscale], however if any means of upscaling is included everyone will learn quick smart not to summonon Uranium Elementals. Speaking of which, how [if at all] are you going to handle isotopes? [Similarly with Allotropes, as a Carbon Elemental arranged as Diamond would be vastly different from one arranged in a buckyball fashion... Perhaps give some shapeshifting for major allotropes.]

Geordnet
2013-02-02, 10:07 PM
Elementals have d8 HD, so unless they have some special elemental type (which would be fine, though if it is, it should be included somewhere), HD should be switched to d8s.

Why do they have +4 HP with a con of 10?

Also, the Hydrogen Elemental shouldn't have 1 HD and a BAB of +2, Weapon Finesse should be a bonus feat, and it has one skill point left unspent. Much of the same goes for the Helium Elemental. Finally, they should have advancement of -, not the number of HD they currently possess.
As I said, I don't have enough experience with the system to proofread my own work.:smallfrown: I'm working more through inference than an actual understanding of the rules. Which is why I need help... I've fixed up as best I can, although I fear I've lost the original goal of the two: making something that could be summoned at a lower level. (Also, Helium Elementals are now significantly weaker than Hydrogen. I think. I'd like to fix that by making Hydrogen more fragile, but am unsure of what I should change first.)

This looks like fun. Keeping them all tiny size is good [people can upscale], however if any means of upscaling is included everyone will learn quick smart not to summonon Uranium Elementals. Speaking of which, how [if at all] are you going to handle isotopes?[Similarly with Allotropes, as a Carbon Elemental arranged as Diamond would be vastly different from one arranged in a buckyball fashion... Perhaps give some shapeshifting for major allotropes.]
I'm only going to have these two be tiny, the rest will range from Small to Huge. Primordial elements will be formed of isotopes in the proportions they occur in nature. Which means Uranium Elementals won't be radioactive enough. (Even if there was going to be an Enriched Uranium Elemental, just making it bigger wouldn't be enough to induce fission.)

Elements will be primarily formed of their most chemically stable allotrope- although not entirely. So, Carbon Elementals will appear as a large mass of amorphous carbon dust, with lumps of graphite and diamonds interspersed. If you want more flavor than that, you could say that it shifts the graphite in its body to intercept incoming blows, and pummels its enemies with a ruthless barrage of diamonds.

Which reminds me... Does d20 modern (or better yet, something set in WWII) have stats on a White Phosphorus mortar round?

Geordnet
2013-02-03, 03:42 PM
A few concepts I want to work out...

Three new types of damage:

Oxidation Damage:
Oxidation is a special type of damage dealt by F, O, Cl, Br, I, S, and At Elementals. It represents the roles these elements play in acids and combustion. Oxidation damage dealt to creatures outside the Chemical Element subtype can be affected the following way:

Creatures with fire resistance can apply half of that resistance (rounded down) to Oxidation damage, to a limit of 25 points of oxidation resistance. (Creatures with immunity to fire can reduce oxidation damage by 25.)
Creatures with acid resistance can apply 80% (rounded down) of that resistance to oxidation damage, to a limit of 40 points of oxidation resistance. (Creatures with immunity to acid can reduce oxidation damage by 40.)
Creatures with resistance/immunity to both fire and acid only apply the one which reduces damage more.
Creatures with vulnerability to acid are also vulnerable to oxidation.

Reduction Damage:
Reduction is a special type of damage dealt by Cs, Fr, Rb, K, Ac, Ba, Ra, Li, and several Rare Earth Elementals. It represents the violent energy which is released when these elements oxidize. Reduction damage dealt to creatures outside the Chemical Element subtype can be increased the following way:

Creatures with a natural immunity to acid have vulnerability to reduction. (They take 50% more reduction damage.) This does not apply to an immunity to acid gained through magic, feats, class levels, etc. (except by DM fiat).
Creatures with the Water subtype have vulnerability to reduction. (They take 50% more reduction damage.)

Radiation Damage:
Note: I figure the best way to handle radiation is to make a separate damage type for it. Then I don't have to worry about the precise effects of it when I'm writing up each individual radioactive Elemental.

I'm thinking of modeling this off of Rads in the Fallout series. Which is to say, Radiation damage will be tracked separately from normal or nonlethal damage. When Radiation damage passes a certain threshold, stat penalties will be applied.

Radiation damage will only be curable by Restoration spells, and won't affect creatures of the Construct, Elemental, or Undead types.

The knowledge to extend Resist Energy and Protection from Energy to these three new types will be part of the "Treasure" from the module, if the project manages to progress that far. Most important is Resist Radiation. (I'll try to balance the unstable elements by having them take damage from their own decay every round, though.)

Amorphous Elementals:
My vision of what the Elementals would look like includes some of them -specifically Carbon, Boron, Phosphorous, and Selenium- as large masses of amorphous powder and small crystals.

I want to reflect this in the mechanics, but I'm at a loss at how to implement it fairly. All I've got right now is "Immune to Disintegrate".

...Maybe I could give them greater-than-usual DR, but allow Bludgeoning damage to bypass it?

I'd like to make sure that these inclusions will be reasonable, because I have no idea if they would be or not.

LordErebus12
2013-02-03, 04:06 PM
A few concepts I want to work out...

Radiation Damage:
Note: I figure the best way to handle radiation is to make a separate damage type for it. Then I don't have to worry about the precise effects of it when I'm writing up each individual radioactive Elemental.

I'm thinking of modeling this off of Rads in the Fallout series. Which is to say, Radiation damage will be tracked separately from normal or nonlethal damage. When Radiation damage passes a certain threshold, stat penalties will be applied.

Radiation damage will only be curable by Restoration spells, and won't affect creatures of the Construct, Elemental, or Undead types.

The knowledge to extend Resist Energy and Protection from Energy to these three new types will be part of the "Treasure" from the module, if the project manages to progress that far. Most important is Resist Radiation. (I'll try to balance the unstable elements by having them take damage from their own decay every round, though.)

Ive always figured radiation damage would be like temporary con drain, until you get over 6 drain, then it starts adding actual damage.

Debihuman
2013-02-03, 05:56 PM
What do the Subtypes Noble Gas and Chemical Element mean in game terms? If they have no game mechanics associated with them, they aren't really necessary.

Debby

TuggyNE
2013-02-03, 06:10 PM
Ive always figured radiation damage would be like temporary con drain, until you get over 6 drain, then it starts adding actual damage.

You mean Con damage?

Geordnet
2013-02-03, 06:24 PM
Excerpt from the Chemistry Periodica:

Chaoi Nobiles: (The "Noble Gasses")

The so-called "Noble" Elementals are named such for their rarity, in more than one sense of the word. Less powerful than their more reactive near-siblings, the halogens and alkalies, these elementals are rarely summoned -save when one of those needs to be dealt with, where their non-reactive natures nullify the offensive power of the redox.

Neon:
{table]Neon Elemental|Small Elemental (Chemical Element, Noble Gas, Extraplanar)

Hit Dice:|2d8 (9 hp)

Speed:|Fly 90 ft. (perfect) (18 squares)

Armor Class:| 17 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +3 Natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14

Base Attack/Grapple:|+1/-3

Attack:|Slam +5 melee (1d4)

Full-Attack:|Slam +5 melee (1d4)

Space/Reach:| 5ft/5ft

Special Attacks:|Neon Mastery

Special Qualities:| Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Luminescence, immunity to acid, immunity to fire, immunity to oxidation, immunity to reduction.

Abilities:|Str 10, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11

Skills:| Listen +2, Spot +3

Environment:| Quasi-Elemental Plane of Vacuum.

Organization:| Atomic Neon

Challenge Rating:|1

Treasure:|None

Advancement:|-

[/table]

Appearence:
Golden and pink ionic gas with crackling neon(heh)-orange "lightning".
http://images-of-elements.com/s/neon.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Neon_discharge_tube.jpg

Combat:

Neon Mastery (Ex):
The Neon Elemental can, at will, act as a source of illumination. It can provide shadowy illumination at any radius up to 30 ft, but only provides clear illumination at one-third of that radius (rounded down to the nearest 5ft incriment). As this is mundane light, all magical darkness counteracts it.

Luminescence (Ex):
The Neon Elemental glows faintly with magically-induced luminescence. The light is not enough to see by, but allows enemies to make a spot check to locate the Neon Elemental even in complete (non-magical) darkness.

Argon:
{table]Argon Elemental|Medium Elemental (Chemical Element, Noble Gas, Extraplanar)

Hit Dice:|4d8+8 (26 hp)

Initiative:| +9

Speed:|Fly 80 ft. (perfect) (16 squares)

Armor Class:|18 (+5 Dex, +3 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 13

Base Attack/Grapple:|+3/+4

Attack:|Slam +8 melee (1d6+1)

Full-Attack:|Slam +8 melee (1d6+1)

Space/Reach:| 5ft/5ft

Special Attacks:|Argon Mastery

Special Qualities:| Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Luminescence, immunity to acid, immunity to fire, immunity to oxidation, immunity to reduction.

Saves:|Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +1

Abilities:|Str 12, Dex 21, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11

Skills:| Listen +3, Spot +4

Feats:|Dodge, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse

Environment:| Elemental Plane of Air

Organization:| Atomic Argon

Challenge Rating:|3

[/table]

Appearence:
Violet ionic gas with crackling bright violet "lightning".
http://images-of-elements.com/argon.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Argon_discharge_tube.jpg

Combat:

Argon Mastery (Ex):
Argon Elementals slowly regain health in the presence of atmospheric argon. At the start of each round, every Argon Elemental exposed to open air heals 1d3-1 hp.

Luminescence (Ex):
The Argon Elemental glows faintly with magically-induced luminescence. The light is not enough to see by, but allows enemies to make a spot check to locate the Argon Elemental even in complete (non-magical) darkness.

Krypton:
{table]Krypton Elemental|Large Elemental (Chemical Element, Noble Gas, Extraplanar)

Hit Dice:|8d8+24 (60 hp)

Initiative:|+11

Speed:|Fly 70 ft. (perfect) (14 squares)

Armor Class:|20 (-1 size, +7 Dex, +4 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 13

Base Attack/Grapple:|+6/+12

Attack:|Slam +12 melee (2d6+2)

Full-Attack:|Slam +12 melee (2d6+2)

Space/Reach:| 10ft/10ft

Special Attacks:|Krypton Mastery

Special Qualities:|Damage reduction 5/-, Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Luminescence, immunity to acid, immunity to fire, immunity to oxidation, immunity to reduction.

Saves:|Fort +5, Ref +13, Will +2

Abilities:|Str 14, Dex 25, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11

Skills:| Listen +5, Spot +6

Feats:|Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse

Environment:|Elemental Plane of Air

Organization:|Atomic Krypton

Challenge Rating:|5

[/table]

Appearence:
White ionic gas with crackling off-white "lightning".
http://images-of-elements.com/krypton.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Krypton_discharge_tube.jpg

Combat:

Krypton Mastery (Ex):
Concentrated Krypton gas in non-toxic, but it can still cause hypoxia and narcosis. Creatures (that need to breathe) hit by a Krypton Elemental's slam attack must make a DC 14 Fortitude save or take temporary ability damage according to the roll of 1d12:

1-8: 1 Int, 1 Wis; 9-11: 1 Int, 1 Wis, 1 Dex; 12+: 1 Int, 1 Wis, 1 Dex, 1 Con.
Fortunately for the victims, the Krypton gas spontaneously vanishes when separated from the Elemental. Int and Wis damage dealt this way heal 1 point each round in which the afflicted spends no more than one half-action, and is not successfully attacked by any Krypton or Xenon elemental. Dex damage heals at the rate of 1/minute. (Con damage heals at the normal rate.)

Luminescence (Ex):
The Krypton Elemental glows faintly with magically-induced luminescence. The light is not enough to see by, but allows enemies to make a spot check to locate the Krypton Elemental even in complete (non-magical) darkness.

Xenon:
{table]Xenon Elemental|Huge Elemental (Chemical Element, Noble Gas, Extraplanar)

Hit Dice:|16d8+24 (136 hp)

Initiative:|+13

Speed:|Fly 60 ft. (perfect) (12 squares)

Armor Class:|21 (-2 size, +9 Dex, +4 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 12

Base Attack/Grapple:|+12/+24

Attack:|Slam +19 melee (2d8+4)

Full-Attack:|Slam +19 melee (2d8+4)

Space/Reach:| 15ft/15ft

Special Attacks:|Xenon Mastery

Special Qualities:|Damage reduction 5/-, Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Luminescence, immunity to acid, immunity to fire, immunity to oxidation, immunity to reduction.

Saves:|Fort +9, Ref +19, Will +5

Abilities:|Str 18, Dex 29, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11

Skills:| Listen +11, Spot +12

Feats:|Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse

Organization:|Atomic Xenon

Challenge Rating:|7

[/table]

Appearence:
Light blue ionic gas with crackling white "lightning".
http://images-of-elements.com/xenon.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Xenon_discharge_tube.jpg

Combat:

Xenon Mastery (Ex):
Xenon gas in non-toxic, but it is also a strong anesthesia. Creatures (that need to breathe) hit by a Xenon Elemental's slam attack must make a DC 18 Fortitude save or take 1d3 Int and 1d3 Wis temporary ability damage.

Fortunately for the victims, the Xenon gas spontaneously vanishes when separated from the Elemental. Int and Wis damage dealt this way heal 1 point each round in which the afflicted spends no more than one half-action, and is not successfully attacked by any Krypton or Xenon elemental.

Luminescence (Ex):
The Xenon Elemental glows faintly with magically-induced luminescence. The light is not enough to see by, but allows enemies to make a spot check to locate the Xenon Elemental even in complete (non-magical) darkness.

(I'm not going to do Radon until I figure out how I'm handling radiation.)

So, these are pretty much identical to Air Elementals, but with different specials. I added in Immunity to Fire to make up for the fact that I'm replacing two special attacks with only one. I hadn't figured out what I was going to do with Krypton/Xenon Mastery at that point, though. (Those two need some work, too. There's probably a much better way to handle them, but I don't know how.)

I hope this illustrates how the Elementals will be "tiered" in terms of power, though. (However, I won't always -or even usually- be ordering them in this manner.)

Geordnet
2013-02-03, 06:30 PM
What do the Subtypes Noble Gas and Chemical Element mean in game terms? If they have no game mechanics associated with them, they aren't really necessary.
There's nothing associated with them yet. They'll be cut from the final revision if they don't have a purpose by then.

(Edit: For the record, though, I'm probably going to cut the Noble Gas subtype, but keep the Chemical Element subtype.)

That would work, I suppose, but I'd like to do something more involved with it. (It synergizes with the whole concept of "chemical elementals" in general. Those whom get excited about one are likely to enjoy the other too -I hope, at least.)

dspeyer
2013-02-04, 01:32 AM
I'll nominate my monster builder (http://dspeyer.dyndns.org/monster_builder.html) as a way to keep all the numbers adding up.

Perhaps lithium elementals should have an electricity attack?

Geordnet
2013-02-04, 07:45 AM
I'll nominate my monster builder (http://dspeyer.dyndns.org/monster_builder.html) as a way to keep all the numbers adding up.
Thanks, that helps a LOT. :smallsmile:

Perhaps lithium elementals should have an electricity attack?
No, I'm sticking to hard chemistry here. :smallwink:

Lithium Elementals will deal Reduction damage like the rest of the Alkali Metals.

Geordnet
2013-02-04, 08:44 AM
First test with the monster builder:

Carbon Elemental
{TABLE]Size/Type:|Huge Elemental (Chemical Element, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice:|24d8+120 (216 hp)
Initiative:|+6
Speed:|60 ft (12 squares)
Armor Class:|23 (-2 size,+6 dex, ++9 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple:|+18/+35
Attack:|Claw +25 melee (2d10+9)
Full Attack:|2 Claws +25 melee (2d10+9)
Space/Reach:|15ft,10ft
Special Attacks:|Carbon Mastery
Special Qualities:|Damage reduction 15/Bludgeoning, Amorphous, darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits
Saves:|Fort +13, Ref +14, Will +8
Abilities:| Str 28, Dex 22, Con 21, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills:|Listen +27, Spot +27
Feats:|alertness,cleave,great cleave,improved critical (slam),improved bull rush,improved sunder,iron will,lightning reflexes,power attack
Organization:|Carbon Dioxide
Challenge Rating:|11
Level Adjustment:|-
[/TABLE]

Appearance:
Large mass of amorphous carbon dust containing fragments of graphite and other forms of crystallized carbon, including diamonds.
http://www.cn-carbon-black.com/images/Carbon_black.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Diamond-and-graphite-with-scale.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/C60-Fulleren-kristallin.JPG

Carbon Mastery (Ex):
Carbon Elementals get a +2d4 damage against carbon-based lifeforms.

Amorphous (Ex):
The Carbon Elemental is immune to the effects of disintegration, including the Disintegrate spell.

DracoDei
2013-02-05, 07:12 PM
I approve of this project.

Helium needs to be phrased better such that it is more obvious that the elemental is placing itself inside the bag (or significantly more clearly if it is not doing so).

For argon and xenon: "Half-Action" isn't a game term (at least not in English). You probably want "Partial Action".

And yes, the monster-builder(s) is/are very useful. I still use them when I remember to.

Carbon elementals have a "++9" in the stat-block somewhere(probably in the AC), and also it should just be "+2d4 damage" not "a +2d4 damage".

Geordnet
2013-02-05, 10:29 PM
Just a status update:

I've been busy lately, but I've still been working on this project. Most of it's behind-the-scenes stuff though, as I've been trying to figure out how to make sure no two Elementals have identical stats.

I've had much success so far: I started out by sorting the elements into groups based on their properties, then assigned a basic stat layout to each group. For instance, heavy soft metals like gold, platinum, silver, palladium, lead, etc. will have very high Con, but low Str and even lower Dex. Then I assigned the members of each group to different CR tiers, so that I'll never have to worry about making more than a couple Elementals of the same archetype on the same tier different from the other.

The only ones left to place are the Rare Earth Metals, which I've decided should all be CR 1~4. Once I've gotten them all figured out though, I can start churning out stat blocks. Hopefully that will be by this weekend.

There are still a few things I could help with:

I need a better way of handling asphyxia/narcosis with for the Noble Gasses (preferably something that scales easily).
Xenon additionally needs a better way of handling its anesthetic properties.
I need stats for the following poisons: Mercury, White Arsenic, Chlorine Gas, (more?) (I'll probably come up with more along the way.)
I really need to get the rad system worked out. Until it's in place, I can't write up any radioactive elemental.

And finally, a few notes about the project:

I've decided to set aside all the Actinides save for Thorium, Uranium, and Plutonium. They'll be back if I ever decide to expand the list for Epic level summoning, though.
I've decided to drop the "X Mastery" skill as an essential part of every Elemental. Some will still have it, but only when and where I find a unique skill is actually merited.
If the project goes on to stage 2 (building a module), I'm considering adding in some special alchemical items. Imagine the Fun your party will have with Nitroglycerin... (Of course, these would only be available as loot, and be treated as similarly-powerful magic items.)
Another hypothetical addition (so far down the road that I hesitate to mention it, in fact) is a potential prestige class specializing in all the stuff in the module. It'd probably be relatively weak, and designed for NPCs (specifically, the NPCs in the module), though. But it'd be there if a player really likes this stuff.

toapat
2013-02-06, 12:06 AM
There are still a few things I could help with:

I need a better way of handling asphyxia/narcosis with for the Noble Gasses (preferably something that scales easily).
Xenon additionally needs a better way of handling its anesthetic properties.
I need stats for the following poisons: Mercury, White Arsenic, Chlorine Gas, (more?) (I'll probably come up with more along the way.)
I really need to get the rad system worked out. Until it's in place, I can't write up any radioactive elemental.

1: Con Damage, I think that is the goto for it. Aphyxiation is, at least in the case of say, Nitrogen, an exact duplicate of the Drowning Rules, without save though.

2: Sleep SLA

3: Mercury is safely Wisdom damage, Paranoia and other types of insanity are squarely their deal. White Arsenic would be Con damage

4: Radiation should probably be handled with a simple concept of DotA and LoL: Pure Damage. Radiation damage would deal 1-2 points of damage to everything in a round. Unmitigated Bypasses everything including damage immunity damage that outright lowers the affected's HP.

flare'90
2013-02-06, 05:47 AM
In the table of poisons in the DMG glossary (page 297), Arsenic is given as dealing 1/1d8 Con damage.

Geordnet
2013-02-06, 08:59 AM
1: Con Damage, I think that is the goto for it. Aphyxiation is, at least in the case of say, Nitrogen, an exact duplicate of the Drowning Rules, without save though.
...You're breathing 70% pure Nitrogen, so the N Elemental doesn't need any special rules in that regard. :smalltongue:

I'm looking more for narcosis, which you can get from short exposures (which is all you'd need to worry about, really, unless the elemental has you pinned and is trying to smother you). Also, it'll probably knock you out before killing you, so Con probably won't work.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-02-06, 10:10 AM
Would two or more elementals be able to be combined to create a new one? If so, the summon requirements could need to include these elementals to create it...

I basically see these elementals as blown up embodiments of these chemicles, so creating certain mixtures should translate to the same. Even if you wish not to get into that, I think based on the motion of this project its going to come up in one way or another.

I like this either way. :)

toapat
2013-02-06, 11:26 AM
...You're breathing 70% pure Nitrogen, so the N Elemental doesn't need any special rules in that regard. :smalltongue:

except i wasnt talking about 70% nitrogen, i was talking about 100% nitrogen. The symtoms of nitrogen aphyxiation are sleepyness, then passing out. They have to pump oxygen into your lungs in order to save you afterwards.

Debihuman
2013-02-06, 11:39 AM
See rules on suffocation here:

Suffocation

A character who has no air to breathe can hold her breath for 2 rounds per point of Constitution. After this period of time, the character must make a DC 10 Constitution check in order to continue holding her breath. The save must be repeated each round, with the DC increasing by +1 for each previous success.

When the character fails one of these Constitution checks, she begins to suffocate. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, she drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she suffocates.

Slow Suffocation

A Medium character can breathe easily for 6 hours in a sealed chamber measuring 10 feet on a side. After that time, the character takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage every 15 minutes. Each additional Medium character or significant fire source (a torch, for example) proportionally reduces the time the air will last. When a character falls unconscious from this nonlethal damage, she drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the next round, she suffocates.

Small characters consume half as much air as Medium characters. A larger volume of air, of course, lasts for a longer time.

I don't recommend introducing a new form of damage (radiation) unless you intend to introduce spells and items that counter it. That is why there is only acid damage but not alkaline damage, though both are caustic.

In D20 Futures, Radiation Sickness is a disease. You might want to consider going that route.

See here: http://www.d20resources.com/future.d20.srd/environments/radiation.sickness.php

Debby

DracoDei
2013-02-06, 01:58 PM
I'm looking more for narcosis, which you can get from short exposures (which is all you'd need to worry about, really, unless the elemental has you pinned and is trying to smother you). Also, it'll probably knock you out before killing you, so Con probably won't work.
I think nitrogen narcosis may require increased pressure? Not sure.

Zireael
2013-02-06, 02:22 PM
The idea is awesome, I'll be keeping tabs on it.

What does "Organization: Carbon Dioxide" mean?

What about "Dihydrogen Monoxide" :smallwink:

Geordnet
2013-02-06, 03:13 PM
Would two or more elementals be able to be combined to create a new one? If so, the summon requirements could need to include these elementals to create it...
If you mean like sulphur+lead->gold, then definitely not: despite all the magic involved, this is supposed to be "hard" fiction. The very definition of "Element" means you can't create one from the other.:smalltongue:

If you're thinking 2H + O -> H2O, however... I've got quite enough to do already, thank you.:smalleek:

except i wasnt talking about 70% nitrogen, i was talking about 100% nitrogen.
100% Nitrogen is only a problem if your head is actually inside the body of the elemental (and perhaps not even then). That sort of situation is not likely to happen in the middle of a battle unless the victim can't escape by moving a few feet before he can hold his breath no longer, in which case coup-de-gras has it covered. I'm only going to bother with cases where just a mild-moderate exposure is dangerous; both for narcosis and elemental toxins.

What does "Organization: Carbon Dioxide" mean?

What about "Dihydrogen Monoxide" :smallwink:
It means I've got a rather dry sence of humor... (Probably going to take those out eventually.)

In D20 Futures, Radiation Sickness is a disease. You might want to consider going that route.

See here: http://www.d20resources.com/future.d20.srd/environments/radiation.sickness.php

Yeah, that's pretty close to what I'm thinking of. But I'll still need to quantify it, if it's going to be a significant combat mechanic.

I don't recommend introducing a new form of damage (radiation) unless you intend to introduce spells and items that counter it. That is why there is only acid damage but not alkaline damage, though both are caustic.
Both Protection from Energy and Resist Energy will be extended to cover the three new forms of energy I intend to introduce. (Oxidation, Reduction, and Radiation.)

The former two also have prexisting counters: anything with Acid resistance will also resist Oxidation, and every Elemental with Reduction damage will be vulnerable to both Acid and ordinary water.

As for Radiation... It's biggest danger is supposed to be the fact that there's no natural counter to it. This will be balanced by the facts that all radioactive Elementals will take damage from their own decay, and that the ill effects can be cleansed by a simple Restoration spell. (Besides, just a simple steel breastplate is sufficient protection from both α and β- rays.)

Geordnet
2013-02-09, 03:38 AM
Done some research on radiation, in fact enough research to find out that it's actually not quite as horrible and pervasive as the popular perception makes it out to be. (Although it is still quite dangerous, to say the least, in some ways the superstition and paranoia surrounding it are even more dangerous than the radiation itself.)

First off, it doesn't appear as if radiation can really "spread" much (except perhaps inside a man-made nuclear reactor or detonation, maybe not even then). 'Contamination' only occurs when radioactive materials (usually in the form of metal dust) gets mixed in with something else enough that it can't be separated easily. Since I've already decided that the usual case will be for the element to disappear when the elemental's summons expires, this means I won't have to worry about any sort of chronic exposure.

Just looking at which elementals I was going to give radiation, I've noticed a quite sharp difference between them. The most radioactive is probably Francium, followed by Astatine. Someone who fights one of these elementals could probably be considered "walking dead" sans-magical healing. Of similar caliber is Polonium, although one might be able to survive if it didn't pierce the skin. I might have to shift those three up to the epic tier...

Anyways, it looks like even the most acute cases of radiation poisoning usually don't show symptoms until days (EDIT: I was looking at the wrong number, but onset is still at least several minutes) after exposure, so any sort of immediate ability damage is out of the question. It looks like tracking radiation exposure as a separate statistic is the way to go. I'll include a chart similar to the one here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_sickness), cataloging exact quantities for handling it.

The fun part will be figuring out how to cure it. I want the potential for some good roleplaying with a party desperately searching for a solution to a bedridden party member or NPC's affliction. Then again, it can't be too complex or else those less keen will be frustrated with it.

Oh, and I did some side research on explosives and found a ton of old, obscure, and downright arcane blasting compounds from the late 19th-early 20th century. Gun Cotton and Gelignite all the way! :smallwink:

DracoDei
2013-02-09, 01:35 PM
As you appear to have already figured out, radioactive materials are basically poisons. They get into the body somehow (thus why a radiation suit doesn't actually need to stop radiation*, just the actual atoms). It is just that the damaging effect of a given atom (or radioactive element containing molecule if you want to look at it that way) occurs when it decays rather than when it participates in a certain chemical reaction or chain of reactions.
*The really nasty stuff is the alpha particles I think, and those generally don't even make it through the skin (unless maybe you are dealing with the entire sun spitting them out in a solar flare?).

Summoned venomous creatures still inflict their secondary damage with their poison, even if the creature has vanished by that time.

So their is a little bit of wiggle room on venoms disappearing at the end of summoing spells, and I would say you should go with that, since it makes things a bit more interesting.

Jormengand
2013-02-09, 04:07 PM
*The really nasty stuff is the alpha particles I think, and those generally don't even make it through the skin (unless maybe you are dealing with the entire sun spitting them out in a solar flare?).

Yeah, alphas can't go through skin, which is part of the reason why they're so dangerous if they get into your body.

Geordnet
2013-02-11, 01:11 AM
As you appear to have already figured out, radioactive materials are basically poisons.
At least, the synthetic nuclides which are stable enough to be long-term problems are. What I've got to worry about is different.

Let's say one were to summon a 30kg Fr-223 Elemental (which is a thousand times how much Francium even exists on Earth, by the way). With a half-life of just 22 minutes, that's FOUR BILLION Terabecquerels of radioactive material, on the order of a hundred times as much as Chernobyl's total fallout. (Granted, it certainly won't be a few days from now, but we're more concerned with a few rounds from now here.)

The total output of power is 750 MW, as much as a large power plant. The slightest touch from this thing would kill you, if you weren't already dead from the heat.

Heck, nobody can really say would would happen if you did this. It might rip itself apart in a nuclear fireball for all we know.

In contrast, other radioactive elements like Technetium might not produce enough radiation to even cause cancer (in the short duration of summons).

So, I've got to seriously reassess my approach here.

Erik Vale
2013-02-11, 02:48 AM
Make the call that wizards simply don't summon certain elementals, as they have noticed colleges that summon from certain ellements die inexplicably, due to strange growths, poisoning, or spontainous combustion as with Fr. [It's the same reasoning as not summoning a large Uranium elemental. A wizard did it, there was a really large crator, god said uhh-huh. Undid time, and now whenever a wizard tries it, they see what would have happened if said god didn't intervene and set up a permanent anti-spel [Summon U-233 [I think] Ellelmental]l, which also wracked the wizard with one hell of a migrane.]

toapat
2013-02-11, 10:34 AM
make the summon for most radioactive elementals be either fine or tiny. Allow Uranium elementals to be summoned though, and make them have say, 10% (way above natural) U-235.

Geordnet
2013-02-11, 03:56 PM
Make the call that wizards simply don't summon certain elementals, as they have noticed colleges that summon from certain ellements die inexplicably, due to strange growths, poisoning, or spontainous combustion as with Fr.
Well, the way it is with radiation (especially of the alpha variety) is that either you're (mostly) safe as long as you don't touch the radioactive stuff, or everyone for 20 miles is going to find out about it.

It's the same reasoning as not summoning a large Uranium elemental. A wizard did it, there was a really large crator, god said uhh-huh.
A large Uranium Elemental wouldn't be all that different from a large Earth Elemental. Even an Implosion spell wouldn't be enough to set it off.

And even if it did reach critical mass, it wouldn't be much bigger than a large conventional explosion: without a bomb casing to contain the reaction, the forces involved tear the core apart before it can really get intense.

make the summon for most radioactive elementals be either fine or tiny.
So, that'd be going down from 100 Chernobyls' worth of fallout to just one Chernobyl's worth? :smallconfused:

Allow Uranium elementals to be summoned though, and make them have say, 10% (way above natural) U-235.
Still probably won't detonate, unless you cast Implosion on it.

Don't see a reason why to break from Natural Abundances, though; especially when there's plenty of elements with larger nuclear fission cross-sections than Uranium.

Man, everyone seems obsessed with "Radioactive Uranium", aren't they? :smalltongue:

The truth is that Uranium is the second-stablest element past Bismuth (which is probably why there's enough of it around to use in reactors and bombs). I'd frankly be more worried of it for its chemical toxicity than its radiation.

But this has made me look at the critical masses of fissionable nuclides, which I'd been neglecting earlier. Now I see that any significant amount of most actinide nuclides would be a super-critical mass.

But... All of this is getting in the way of the original project; namely the sevendy-something stable elements. Time to get back to work, I guess...

toapat
2013-02-11, 06:07 PM
Don't see a reason why to break from Natural Abundances, though; especially when there's plenty of elements with larger nuclear fission cross-sections than Uranium.

because a summon that deals 100d6 damage/round to everything near (at least 100 feet) it and that slags any structure it is in is almost as funny as having a wizard accedentally summon a nuke.

Erik Vale
2013-02-11, 06:26 PM
A large Uranium Elemental wouldn't be all that different from a large Earth Elemental. Even an Implosion spell wouldn't be enough to set it off.

And even if it did reach critical mass, it wouldn't be much bigger than a large conventional explosion: without a bomb casing to contain the reaction, the forces involved tear the core apart before it can really get intense.

Man, everyone seems obsessed with "Radioactive Uranium", aren't they? :smalltongue:

The truth is that Uranium is the second-stablest element past Bismuth (which is probably why there's enough of it around to use in reactors and bombs). I'd frankly be more worried of it for its chemical toxicity than its radiation.

I'll trust you.
However, as for regarding it more for explosive potential than poison is that Uranium is the sterotypical bomb of big bad death, How many people actually research it as a poison?
I mean, sure, I know hydrogen can produce similar explosions, but its not the first thing I reach for.

And on a thought, any chance of making anti-ellementals? [Mostly said as a joke.]

DracoDei
2013-02-11, 06:42 PM
For Uranium, I would look at depleted uranium in its uses as a projectile, including why the lower calibers are banned in some international agreements.

Short version, its attacks should probably deal Bludgeoning OR Slashing (the elemental picks with each attack, just as with a weapon that deals that deals that mix of damage). If you want to keep it simpler, say that the summoner needs to decide which shape of arms they are going to summon them with, thus making the choice only once.

If it deals slashing then we are looking at why it is banned in smaller caliber ammunition (it tends to fragment, and the fragments have sharp edges, so they are a bit too hard for the surgeons to treat, plus traces of radioactivity maybe). As such I would give it the wounding and keen properties for flavor. You could even say that it deals a small fixed amount of damage to the elemental with each attack, or each attack that hits. Probably nothing more than 10% of its average hitpoints though.

If it deals bludgeoning it... maybe ignores deflection bonuses to armor class and halves all damage reduction other than X/- ? This is based around the idea of why it is effective against armor (or even AS armor in some cases). Basically it is really dense, which means a lot of kinetic energy per area, meaning it loses a smaller percentage of its energy to air drag, and is more likely to make it through tank armor and theoretically better energy transfer per inch of barrel length*.
*Theoretically because the projection in sabot round is smaller than the barrel diameter, which is why it need the sabot (AKA "Shoe"**) to carry them out of the barrel. Point being, I can't say for sure if the part that actually strikes the target is heavier or lighter for sabot than for the various explosive rounds.
**Which is also the root word for "sabotage" because of people throwing shoes into machines that were putting them out of work, or something like that.

Geordnet
2013-02-11, 10:35 PM
because a summon that deals 100d6 damage/round to everything near (at least 100 feet) it and that slags any structure it is in is almost as funny as having a wizard accedentally summon a nuke.
Then see the Francium Elemental, above. :smalltongue:

(Of if you're looking for the nuke, try a Plutonium Elemental.)

For Uranium, I would look at depleted uranium in its uses as a projectile, including why the lower calibers are banned in some international agreements.
I'm judging each element in a relative manner, mainly based on macroscopic physical properties. All the work I've been doing behind the scenes so far has been making sure that no two Elementals have the same stat block.

Adding qualities that are unique to specific Elementals is the last step, and I'll only be doing so in special cases. (And Uranium spalling frankly isn't special enough.)

I see that I really need to get some stat blocks out here, so that you guys can see what I'm doing. (I've so far had a hard time committing to anything.)

DracoDei
2013-02-13, 03:06 PM
Huh, I would have thought that having unique special qualities would be MORE important than having unique everything else.

Or some mixture of the two, so that you don't get too esoteric of special properties.

Geordnet
2013-02-13, 10:29 PM
Huh, I would have thought that having unique special qualities would be MORE important than having unique everything else.

Or some mixture of the two, so that you don't get too esoteric of special properties.
They are, but the vast majority of elements are metals, with fairly similar properties.

It's easy with the nonmetals: Nitrogen, Oxygen, Sulfur, and Phosphorus are vastly different from each other. But what separates Ruthenium from Rhodium, Osmium from Iridium, Palladium from Silver, or Platinum from Gold? Bismuth from Tellurium? Niobium from Molybdenum from Tantalum from Tungsten from Rhenium? Or any of the Rare Earth Elements from one another?

So far, only a few elements have had properties that immediately stand out as extraordinary. Thallium is one of them, being highly toxic and contact poison to boot. Most others aren't so unique.

I want to keep this "hard" fiction, so I'm not willing to make stuff up or exaggerate minor details. But I've still got ways...

Come to think of it... Utilizing Uranium's self-sharpening was a good idea, after all. I'm just unsure of the precise execution. If any of you have other ideas for hard-science stuff for the elementals, feel free to suggest them.

(PS: I'm still doing work on this, but it's all in Excel. I don't want to spend the work to port it to a forum-friendly format until I'm mostly done.)

DracoDei
2013-02-14, 12:34 AM
They are, but the vast majority of elements are metals, with fairly similar properties.

<<Snip further explanation of this point>>

Come to think of it... Utilizing Uranium's self-sharpening was a good idea, after all. I'm just unsure of the precise execution. If any of you have other ideas for hard-science stuff for the elementals, feel free to suggest them.
Sounds good.

(PS: I'm still doing work on this, but it's all in Excel. I don't want to spend the work to port it to a forum-friendly format until I'm mostly done.)
I can be patient.

Geordnet
2013-02-14, 05:18 PM
Here, I figured out a way to do it fast:
{table]A||||||||||||
A1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con~Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
3|I|17|10|10|4|Medium|||nil|nil|nil|gaseous form
5|Be|21|12|14|4|Medium|||||30|toxic
6|Sb|25|14|19|6|Large||||nil|10|
7|As|31|15|19|8|Huge||||nil|10|
8|Ge|33|17|17|8|Large||||nil|nil|
9|Si|35|17|17|10|Huge||||5|nil|swim in sand
||||||||||||
B||||||||||||
B1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con>>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
3|Te|15|8|15|4|Small||||nil||
4|Bi|17|8|17|4|Medium||||nil|5|
5|Mn|20|8|18|4|Medium||||nil|5|
6|Co|23|8|21|6|Large||||5|25|
7|Zn|27|8|23|6|Huge|||nil|nil|25|
8|Fe|29|8|23|8|Huge|||nil|10|20|
9|Os|31|8|23|10|Huge|||inf|30|20|
||||||||||||
C||||||||||||
C1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con~Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Zr|20|12|15|4|Medium||||15|10|
6|Hf|24|12|17|6|Large||||20|10|
7|Ti|28|12|19|6|Huge|||30|15|10|
||||||||||||
C2||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Dex~Con|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
5|Mg|21|12|17|4|Medium|||vul|vul|25|
6|Al|23|14|17|6|Medium|||20|0|30|
||||||||||||
D||||||||||||
D1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con>>Dex (-Size)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Rh|21|8|17|4|Small|||30|15|25|
6|Ta|25|8|19|6|Small||||30|15|
7|Ru|29|8|21|6|Medium||||20|20|
8|Re|31|8|21|8|Medium|||inf|30|15|
9|W|33|8|21|10|Large||||inf|25|
||||||||||||
D2||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Ni|19|8|19|4|Medium|||5|5|20|
6|V|21|8|23|6|Large||||15|10|
7|Mo|27|8|23|6|Huge||||25|25|
8|Cr|29|8|23|8|Huge|||10|15|15|
9|Ir|31|8|23|10|Huge|||inf|25|25|
||||||||||||
E||||||||||||
E1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Sn|21|10|17||Large|||0|0|20|vuln to cold
6|Cu|25|12|17||Large|||10|0|inf|
7|Nb|27|12|19||Huge|||20|25|15|
8||29|16|19||||||||
9|U|31|12|21|||||nil|vul|10|
||||||||||||
F||||||||||||
F1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con>>Str>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|In|15|8|23|4|Medium|Great Fortitude, Power attack|5*|nil|nil|20|DR 5/Slashing
6|Pb|17|8|27|4|Large|Cleave|5||0|10|
7|Ag|19|8|31|6|Huge|Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will|5|20|0|inf|
8|Au|21|8|31|8|Huge|Improved Overrun, Alertness;|10|30|0|30|
9|Tl||||||Improved Critical|||10|15|Highly Toxic
||||||||||||
F2||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con>Str>>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Ca|17|8|21|4|Medium|Power Attack, Cleave||vul|vul|30|
6|Cd|19|8|25|4|Large|Great Cleave|5||0|20|
7|Pd|21|8|29|6|Huge|Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will|5|20|10|20|
8|Pt|23|8|29|8|Huge|Improved Sunder, Alertness;|10|30|15|20|
9|Th|25|8||10||Awesome Blow|||15|15|
||||||||||||
G||||||||||||
G1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con~Dex~Str (++Dam)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Li||||||||vul|vul|20|
6|Na|||||||5|vul|vul|25|
7|K|||||||5|vul|vul|20|
||||||||||||
G2||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con~Dex (+Dam)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
6|Sr|||||||5|vul|vul|15|
7|Ba|||||||5|vul|vul|10|
8|Ra|||||||10|vul|vul|5|
||||||||||||
E||||||||||||
E1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex>>Con~Str; Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
1|He|||||Tiny|||inf|1/2|0|
3|Ne|||||Small|||inf|1/2|0|
5|Ar|||||Medium|||inf|1/2|0|
6|Kr|||||Large||5|inf|1/2|0|
7|N|||||Huge||5|inf|0|0|
8|Rn|||||||10|inf|1/2|0|
9|Xe|||||||10|inf|1/2|0|
||||||||||||
E3||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex>Str~Con (+Dam?); Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
1|H|||||Tiny|||inf|vul|vul|
6|Cl|||||Large|||inf|X|nil|+acid dam
8|O|||||Huge|||inf|X|nil|Rust&Fire
9|F||||||||inf|X|nil|+acid&fire dam
||||||||||||
F||||||||||||
F1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Dex>Con|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Ga||||||||||15|
6|Br||||||||inf||nil|
7|Hg||||||||10||5|
8|Rb||||||||vul||15|
9|Cs||||||||vul||10|
||||||||||||
F2||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex~Str>Con; Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Se||||||||20|nil|??|photoconductive
6|S|19|21|16|6|Large|||||vul|
7|P||||6||||||20|
8|B||||8|Large|||||nil|
9|C|27|29|18|10|Huge|||||nil|[/table]
The numbers running down the left are the levels of "Summon Monster ___" each Elemental will be at, and the letters are indicating groups of elements with similar stat blocks. This is just a rough grouping, mind you, and most of these stats are numbers I just threw out without much thought.

If you notice, I've been assigning acid, fire, and electricity resistances to every elemental. This is one of the ways I hope to differentiate the elements in a scientifically-accurate manner.

So far on fire resistance, I've been looking primarily for melting points. Everything with any fire resistance at all melts at >1300°C (the temperature of molten rock). Stuff with 20 or more melts at >2000°C (the inside of a blast furnace), and 30s would resist most blowtorches. I'd like to go back and remove anything which is combustible, but I haven't been able to find a good source for that.

Resistance to Electricity is, ironically, based on electrical conductivity. (I'm assuming electrical attacks are current-limited, not voltage-limited.) This one's pretty well set, unless I want to go back and reduce the resistances of metals which might ignite because of a lightning bolt.

Acid resistance has been the hardest for me to determine. I would like to base it (no pun intended) off of which of the following the metal will not react with: Hydrochloric Acid, Nitric Acid, Sulfuric Acid, and Aqua Regia. I haven't been able to find much data at all for this, though.

So, there you have it. Your first look at what I've been doing the past few weeks. (Or, at least the last week; I've still got several pages of paper notes from the weeks before.) This is by no means final in any way; pretty much everything on that chart is subject to change.

DracoDei
2013-02-17, 05:45 PM
Will Cadnium have power attack (I think it is a prerequisite for cleave and great cleave)? I assume you only left out Cleave for simplicity?

Geordnet
2013-02-17, 10:21 PM
Will Cadnium have power attack (I think it is a prerequisite for cleave and great cleave)? I assume you only left out Cleave for simplicity?
It's part of the shorthand I was using in that sheet. Each elemental has all the feats from earlier in the same contiguous group.

Zireael
2013-02-28, 04:01 AM
I like the table, it's very neat and readable! That's some brilliant work, geordnet!

Geordnet
2013-02-28, 10:11 AM
I like the table, it's very neat and readable! That's some brilliant work, geordnet!
Hm? Oh, well there's still a ton of work left to do. I've realized I need to do more research and get things sorted out with the resistances/immunities affecting CR as well. I haven't worked on it for a while though, but I might come back to the project soon...

DracoDei
2013-03-03, 01:03 PM
A key for all the abbreviations you are using in the columns for the energy types would be good.
You have: X, inf, vul, nil, and (numbers).
I would think that "nil" would mean you have conclusively decided there will be no special interactions. "vul" is obviously 50% more damage (unless it is double or undecided between the two), "inf" probably stands for "infinite resistance" IE immunity, but I don't know what X is then. Does X mean healed by the energy type?

I realize that the table may be mostly for your own benefit, but taking 5 minutes to make us a key could really help all concerned, including getting you more feedback.

Geordnet
2013-03-03, 03:39 PM
A key for all the abbreviations you are using in the columns for the energy types would be good.
You have: X, inf, vul, nil, and (numbers).
I would think that "nil" would mean you have conclusively decided there will be no special interactions. "vul" is obviously 50% more damage (unless it is double or undecided between the two), "inf" probably stands for "infinite resistance" IE immunity, but I don't know what X is then. Does X mean healed by the energy type?

I realize that the table may be mostly for your own benefit, but taking 5 minutes to make us a key could really help all concerned, including getting you more feedback.
You've got it more or less right. X in this case is only on Fire Resistance for O, Cl, and F elementals, which are all oxidizing agents. I'm not certain what to do with those, actually...

I've done a new iteration of design now, and I think that Fire Resistance and Electric Resistance are mostly settled:
{table]I||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con~Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
3|I|17|10|10|4|Medium||||0|0|gaseous form
5|Be|21|12|14|4|Medium||||0|inf|toxic; sonic resist
6|Sb|25|14|19|6|Large||||0|inf|
7|As|31|15|19|8|Huge||||0|inf|
8|Ge|33|17|17|8|Large||||0|5|
9|Si|35|17|17|10|Huge||||5|5|swim in sand
||||||||||||
II||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con>>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Mn|20|8|18|4|Medium||||0|inf|
6|Co|23|8|21|6|Large||||5|inf|
7|Zn|27|8|23|6|Huge||||0|inf|
8|Fe|29|8|23|8|Huge||||10|inf|
9|Os|31|8|23|10|Huge||||40|inf|
||||||||||||
III||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con~Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
2|Y|||||||||10|inf|
3|La||||||||||inf|
4|Ce|||||||||0|inf|
5|Zr|20|12|15|4|Medium||||15|inf|
6|Hf|24|12|17|6|Large||||20|inf|
7|Ti|28|12|19|6|Huge||||15|inf|
||||||||||||
IV||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Dex~Con|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
2|Nd|||||||||0|inf|
3|Pr|||||||||0|inf|
4|Sc|||||||||10|inf|
5|Mg|21|12|17|4|Medium|||vul|vul|inf|
6|Al|23|14|17|6|Medium||||0|inf|
||||||||||||
V||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con>>Dex (-Size)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Rh|21|8|17|4|Small||||15|inf|
6|Ta|25|8|19|6|Small||||40|inf|
7|Ru|29|8|21|6|Medium||||20|inf|
8|Re|31|8|21|8|Medium||||40|inf|
9|W|33|8|21|10|Large||||50|inf|
||||||||||||
VI||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
2|Ho|||||Tiny||||0|inf|
3|Er|15|8|15|4|Small||||5|inf|
4|Lu|17|8|17|4|Medium||||10|inf|
5|Ni|19|8|19|4|Medium||||5|inf|
6|V|21|8|23|6|Large||||15|inf|
7|Mo|27|8|23|6|Huge||||30|inf|
8|Cr|29|8|23|8|Huge||||15|inf|
9|Ir|31|8|23|10|Huge||||30|inf|
||||||||||||
VII||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
4|Te|||||Medium||||5|10|
5|Sn|21|10|17||Large||||0|inf|vuln to cold
6|Cu|25|12|17||Large||||0|inf|
7|Bi|27|12|19||||||0|inf|
8|Nb|29|16|19||Huge||||30|inf|
9|U|31|12|21|||||||inf|pyrophoric
||||||||||||
VIII||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con>>Str>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|In|15|8|23|4|Medium|Great Fortitude, Power attack|5*||0|inf|DR 5/Slashing
6|Pb|17|8|27|4|Large|Cleave|5||0|inf|
7|Ag|19|8|31|6|Huge|Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will|5||0|inf|
8|Au|21|8|31|8|Huge|Improved Overrun, Alertness;|10||0|inf|
9|Tl||||||Improved Critical|||0|inf|Highly Toxic
||||||||||||
IX||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con>Str>>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
2|Gd||8||||Power Attack|||5|inf|
3|Tb||8|||||||0|inf|
4|Dy||8|||||||5|inf|
5|Ca|17|8|21|4|Medium|Cleave||vul|vul|inf|
6|Cd|19|8|25|4|Large|Great Cleave|5||0|inf|
7|Pd|21|8|29|6|Huge|Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will|5||10|inf|
8|Pt|23|8|29|8|Huge|Improved Sunder, Alertness;|10||15|inf|
9|Th|25|8||10||Awesome Blow||||inf|
||||||||||||
X||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con~Dex~Str|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER :|
2|Tm||||||||||inf|+Dam
3|Yb||||||||vul||inf|+Dam
5|Li||||||||vul|vul|inf|++Dam
6|Na|||||||5|vul|vul|inf|++Dam
7|K|||||||5|vul|vul|inf|++Dam
||||||||||||
XI||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con~Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
3|Sm||||||||vul||inf|++Dam
4|Eu||||||||vul||inf|++Dam
6|Sr|||||||5|vul|vul|inf|+Dam
7|Ba|||||||5|vul|vul|inf|+Dam
8|Ra|||||||10|vul|vul|inf|+Dam
||||||||||||
XII||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex>>Con~Str; Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
1|He|||||Tiny|||inf||0|
3|Ne|||||Small|||inf||0|
5|Ar|||||Medium|||inf||0|
6|Kr|||||Large||5|inf||0|
7|N|||||Huge||5|||0|rapid healing
8|Rn|||||||10|inf||0|
9|Xe|||||||10|inf||0|
||||||||||||
XIII||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex>Str~Con (+Dam?); Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
1|H|||||Tiny|||inf|vul|vul|
6|Cl|||||Large|||inf|X|0|+acid dam; poison
8|O|||||Huge|||inf|X|0|Rust; rapid heal.
9|F||||||||inf|X|0|+acid&fire dam
||||||||||||
XIV||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Dex>Con|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Ga|||||||||0|inf|
6|Br||||||||inf|0|0|+dam(oxidizing)
7|Hg|||||||||0|inf|~mild poison
8|Rb||||||||vul|vul|inf|+dam(reducing)
9|Cs||||||||vul|vul|inf|+dam(reducing)
||||||||||||
XV||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex~Str>Con; Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
5|Se|||||||||0|??|photoconductive
6|S|19|21|16|6|Large||||0|0|
7|P||||6|||||vul|inf|
8|B||||8|Large||||20|0|sonic resist
9|C|27|29|18|10|Huge||||50|20|sonic resist[/table]

I realized that the difference in conductivities between metals may seem big, when put in proper context it's the difference between 0.01% damage and 0.0001% damage. So I just gave out universal Electric Immunity.

Fire Resistance is based on melting points. 5-15 stays solid in molten rock, 20-30 would be cozy in a blast furnace, and 40+ would resist most blowtorches.

For Acid resistance, I'm going to need to cut back a bit... :smalltongue:
I'm probably going to ask around the chemistry department at my university to get a chart for what metals react with what acids, and use that to figure it out.

You'll also notice I grouped up the elements up into blocks better, and added the lanthinides.

All told though, what I most need at the moment is someone who can help me with balancing...

inuyasha
2013-03-03, 05:28 PM
Just incase it has not been brought up, and i know this might not count buut...
Munchkin D20 has the plutonium dragon, and they made radiation damage a seperate thing, and while I cannot find it I do remember they came up with a way for coating your armor with lead, gaining resistance 5 light armor/shields, 10 medium armor, or 15 heavy armor. No I dont think that they mentioned lead being toxic but anyways, I thought that might help :)

P.S. will you be doing silver gold and platinum elementals (aka ooh shiny, lets sell that dead things corpse)

Geordnet
2013-03-03, 06:29 PM
Just incase it has not been brought up, and i know this might not count buut...
Munchkin D20 has the plutonium dragon, and they made radiation damage a seperate thing, and while I cannot find it I do remember they came up with a way for coating your armor with lead, gaining resistance 5 light armor/shields, 10 medium armor, or 15 heavy armor. No I dont think that they mentioned lead being toxic but anyways, I thought that might help :)

P.S. will you be doing silver gold and platinum elementals (aka ooh shiny, lets sell that dead things corpse)
A Plutonium mass that large would detonate. And yes, I have plans for Radiation Damage... But lead sheets wouldn't be useful. Either they aren't needed, or completely pointless. (Radiation from natural decay is nothing at all like the stuff they use in X-Ray machines.)

Summoned creatures disappear when killed or dismissed, and that's no different here. If a GM wants to make one occur 'naturally', and therefore leave remains, then he should be warned that an Au Elemental would probably be either way to much gold for the party to have, or too much of a pushover to be interesting.

DracoDei
2013-03-05, 03:09 AM
Fire Resistance is based on melting points. 5-15 stays solid in molten rock, 20-30 would be cozy in a blast furnace, and 40+ would resist most blowtorches.
I think you have these backwards. The higher the melting point, the MORE fire resistance it should have.

I assume that on the actual chart you followed that rule.

TuggyNE
2013-03-05, 04:08 AM
I think you have these backwards. The higher the melting point, the MORE fire resistance it should have.

Isn't that what he said? (Oxyacetylene) blowtorches are crazy hot, and lava is cooler than you'd think.

Geordnet
2013-03-05, 06:03 PM
Isn't that what he said? (Oxyacetylene) blowtorches are crazy hot, and lava is cooler than you'd think.
The first category starts at 1300°C, which is a bit above the hottest magma can get. The second category starts at 2000°C, which is the temperature inside a blast furnace. The final catagory starts at 2800°C, which is roughly the temperature that an oxy-propane blowtorch burns at.

(Oxyacetylene burns at ~3300°C, but not even that would be enough to melt Tungsten or Carbon.) :smallwink:

DracoDei
2013-03-05, 10:17 PM
I am surprised and shamed.

Have a "smarter than a guy with a Mechanical Engineering Degree" point.

Geordnet
2013-03-06, 10:57 PM
Have a "smarter than a guy with a Mechanical Engineering Degree" point.
Oh good; I'll put it with all the ones I've gotten from my dad. :smallbiggrin:

y2kjman
2013-03-07, 04:28 PM
This is one of the most interesting things i have seen, what i am wondering is can you brew up some extra things for us? Example: hydrogen elemental hit with a fire attack. Explosion of flames? Useful if sent in then detonated maybe?

dysprosium
2013-03-11, 03:17 PM
can't wait to see the dysprosium elemental fully statted out

Geordnet
2013-03-12, 04:03 PM
This is one of the most interesting things i have seen, what i am wondering is can you brew up some extra things for us? Example: hydrogen elemental hit with a fire attack. Explosion of flames? Useful if sent in then detonated maybe?
Hydrogen burns fast, but that doesn't mean anything unless you pack it into a confined space. It will be vulnerable to fire; anything beyond that will probably have to be ruled ad-hoc by the GM.

can't wait to see the dysprosium elemental fully statted out
Well, I do need to start churning something out, so...

{table]Dysprosium Elemental|Small Elemental (Chemical, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice:|3d8+12 (25 hp)
Initiative:|-1
Speed:|20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class:| 19 (+1 size, -1 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 10, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple:|+2/+2
Attack:|Slam +7 melee (1d6+4)
Full-Attack:|Slam +7 melee (1d6+4)
Space/Reach:|5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:|Push
Special Qualities:|Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, electricity immunity, fire resistance 5
Saves:|Fort +7, Ref +0, Will +1
Abilities:|Str 17, Dex 8, Con 19, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills:| Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats:|Cleave, Power Attack
Environment:|Summoned (Summon Monster IV)
Organization:|Solitary
Challenge Rating:|2
Alignment:|Always Neutral
Advancement:| -
[/table]

Push (Ex):
A dysprosium elemental can start a bull rush maneuver without provoking an attack of opportunity.

I'll try to keep myself to this one if I can, so you can take it as the final concept version. I won't change it beyond balancing tweaks unless I decide to start over from scratch. Barring that, however, I should be able to get several more of these out this week.

Which means it's time to start thinking about balance. :smallamused:

I've also written up what I hope will be the final layout of which elementals will be called by each level of Summon Monster/Nature's Ally:

H, He
Y, Nd, Ho, Gd, Tm
La, I, Pr, Er, Tb, Yb, Sm, Ne
Ce, Sc, Lu, Ni, Te, Dy, Eu, Pm
Be, Mn, Zr, Mg, Rh, V, Sn, In, Ca, Li, Ar, Ga, Se, Tc
Sb, S, Co, Hf, Al, Ta, Mo, Cu, Pb, Cd, Na, Sr, Kr, Br
As, Zn, Ti, Ru, Cr, Bi, Ag, Pd, K, Ba, N, Hg, P, Cl
Ge, Fe, Re, Ir, Nb, Au, Pt, Ra, Rn, O, Rb, B
Si, Os, W, U, Tl, Th, Xe, F, Cs, Po, Pu, C

Again, I might shuffle a few of these around, particularly Pm, Tc, Cl, and maybe Br, but other than that this should look a lot like the final version.

DracoDei
2013-03-12, 06:57 PM
Why not just give them Improved Bull-rush as a bonus feat? At Small size, they could use the +4 bonus to offset things even with the 17 strength.

Geordnet
2013-03-12, 09:14 PM
Why not just give them Improved Bull-rush as a bonus feat? At Small size, they could use the +4 bonus to offset things even with the 17 strength.
What? Oh, I presume you're talking about the "push" ability.

Well, I actually wouldn't have it at all if Earth Elementals didn't have it. :smalltongue: