PDA

View Full Version : Birthsigns (D&D 3.5)

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-02-02, 07:50 AM
Woot, first time posting any homebrew ever! Weird, huh?

Now this ended up inspired by the Elder Scrolls, though it started as just a basic attempt at plotting out the planar cosmology somehow evolved to this. It's probably overcomplicated for what I'm doing.

Basically I'm going to have each player give me their character's birthday. Depending on the time of the year, they'll be born under certain astrological signs that give them a plus 2 in the Skill listed below and the Special skill. In addition, They'll get a minor sign based on where the planet that their primary sign falls under was in the night sky in regards to the constellations. The minor sign translates to a plus 1 in the skill of the minor. It's simpler than it sounds?

{table=header]Birthsign|Period*|Skill|Special
The Mage|Jan 1-Jan 25|Arcana|Prestidigitation 2/day
The Wand|Jan 26-Feb 19|UMD|Detect Magic 1/day
The Forge|Feb 20-Mar 13|Craft|Mending 2/day
The Faerie|Mar 14-Apr 7|Hide|Mage Hand 2/day
The Throne|Apr 8-May 1|Nobility|Plus 4 Temp Charisma bonus for 1 round, 1/day
The Dragon|May 2-May 27|Dungeoneering|Resistance 2/Fire
The Thief|May 28-Jun 21|Move Silently|Knock 1/day
The Axe|Jun 22-Jul 15|Intimidate|Plus 1 Damage 2/day
The Wall|Jul 16-Aug 7|Open Lock|Hold Portal 1/day
The Shield|Aug 8-Sep 3|History|Plus 1 AC, 1 Round, 2/day
The Golem|Sep 4- Sep 30|Concentration|Plus 2 to Will Saves vs. Mind-Altering Effects
The Knight|Sep 31-Oct 20|Diplomacy|Plus 2 Hitpoints
The Arrow|Oct 21-Nov 10|Spot|Increase Range or Range Increment by 5 ft.
The Roc|Nov 11-Nov 31|Nature|Add 5 ft. feet to Speed
The River|Nov 32-Dec 9|Swim|Gain 'Track' as Feat 1/day
The Healer|Dec 10-Jan 1|Heal|Cure Minor Wounds 2/day[/table]
*Assume 12 32-day months

Are there any glaring balance problems with this system right off-hand? Personally I didn't feel anything above would be too swingy on the system, just how I run things, but what do you think?

Zman
2013-02-02, 09:31 AM
Well, there is a couple inherent problems. Firstly, some are just plain better than others for instance the wand and the thief. Also, most games and Forgotton realms dont use our normal calendar.

I'd convert the calendar to a fantasy one, them make rolling for their birth sign random. Otherwise, you are just giving a bonus to some, ie UMD user or making the Rogue less useful ie the thief.

Just my 2 cents.

Baron Corm
2013-02-02, 10:21 AM
The SLA's should all be of the same level. Level 1 looks good. If one guy gets knock and another guy gets prestidigitation, you have huge balance issues.

Aside from that, as in the Elder Scrolls games, you should let the PCs choose their own birth sign, instead of telling them what it is based on their birthday. A rogue who gets a bonus to Knowledge (Arcana) instead of Hide is just going to feel gipped. A scout who gets mending instead of 5 feet of speed won't be too happy. And so on.

Zireael
2013-02-02, 01:14 PM
I like the idea, but I agree, it'd need to be more balanced and adapted for most settings out there.

Harugami
2013-02-02, 08:07 PM
If its a balance issue why dontcha make all the specials the same lvl spell and varry use per day based on its effectiveness

EX: if damage 1/day if utility 2/day something along that line also based on the spell

I think rolling random birthdays would be appropriate because you can't change what you are a natural at even if you trained to be something else.

Amechra
2013-02-03, 02:29 AM
Most people are going to be training at something they are a natural at, though; people tend to stick to their competencies.

So, basically, rolling random birthdate, while it should be an option, should not be the default one.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-02-03, 02:53 AM
Well, there is a couple inherent problems. Firstly, some are just plain better than others for instance the wand and the thief. Also, most games and Forgotton realms dont use our normal calendar.

I'd convert the calendar to a fantasy one, them make rolling for their birth sign random. Otherwise, you are just giving a bonus to some, ie UMD user or making the Rogue less useful ie the thief.

Just my 2 cents.
First off, in terms of the 'fantasy' name for calendars, from what I've seen often GM's will make their in-game calendars have 12 months that correspond roughly with our Gregorian calendar, so rather than change the names I just left them the same.

The SLA's should all be of the same level. Level 1 looks good. If one guy gets knock and another guy gets prestidigitation, you have huge balance issues.I agree, the person who gets Prestidigitation is way better off. ^.^ Which is to say, what is it that you find unbalanced about this particular set-up that I'm not seeing? I tried to choose mainly cantrips for SLA's, but I figured some lesser level 1 spells that arguably could be cantrips would work just as well.

Aside from that, as in the Elder Scrolls games, you should let the PCs choose their own birth sign, instead of telling them what it is based on their birthday. A rogue who gets a bonus to Knowledge (Arcana) instead of Hide is just going to feel gipped. A scout who gets mending instead of 5 feet of speed won't be too happy. And so on.Would your players really feel cheated for not getting the 'right kind of free bonus? :smallconfused:

Most people are going to be training at something they are a natural at, though; people tend to stick to their competencies.

So, basically, rolling random birthdate, while it should be an option, should not be the default one.I think I prefer the players not to be aware of the bonus they're going to get, as it just adds something interesting and tiny for most of the players. Synergies can happen and would likely be appreciated, but should often not and just be some flavor on top of the heavier mechanics.

If its a balance issue why dontcha make all the specials the same lvl spell and varry use per day based on its effectiveness

EX: if damage 1/day if utility 2/day something along that line also based on the spell

I think rolling random birthdays would be appropriate because you can't change what you are a natural at even if you trained to be something else.I did try something along these lines listed above, with combat effects being around a 1 change, while cantrip SLA's were around 2/day and lvl 1 SLA's were basic and around 1/day. How might it be streamlined?

I did use this system in a game this afternoon, and it went over very well with my players. Given that players get both a major and minor birthsign there are 256 different combinations that only add 3 skillpoints and a minor effect, and the players thought it was cool. That's good enough for me :smallsmile:

Gizladlo
2013-02-03, 03:34 AM
Why not name the months after the gods?

Baron Corm
2013-02-03, 09:43 AM
If your players don't mind it then no one can tell you different. I'm just the kind of guy who could never roll for stats or anything like that.

If you think there are some first level spells that could almost be cantrips, you should houserule them to cantrips in your game (typical Homebrew forum response I guess...). 2nd level spells are supposed to be better than 1st and 0th level spells, it's why they're 2nd level, and why there would be balance issues. Not much more to say about that.

I think usage is another good way to balance it though. An at-will cantrip could be equal to a 1/encounter 1st level spell or 1/day 2nd level spell.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-02-04, 02:11 AM
I think usage is another good way to balance it though. An at-will cantrip could be equal to a 1/encounter 1st level spell or 1/day 2nd level spell.
This makes a lot of sense... perhaps TOO much sense. :smalltongue: Nah, thank you, this is what I needed. I briefly considered the 'daily', 'encounter', 'at-will' system from 4e for this chart, but I turned it down because it was very 4e, basically. Thinking back that was a silly reason (I actually like 4e, I just didn't want to dilute the 3.5 experience, or somesuch nonsense).