PDA

View Full Version : Two different character concepts

Gwazi Magnum
2013-02-02, 12:37 PM
Two different character ideas I'm working on lately and would like some input in...

1. Agile Arcane Warrior

I kind of want a fighter like character for this, but one that focuses on a one handed weapon and their dexterity (like with light armor or clothing) on the battlefield instead of being some guy in heavy clad armor.

But I'm also looking to mix spells into this, so he has some interesting spells up his sleeve, though how spell trees work I know if you want to get good at spells you've got to pick between arcane (damage) or divine (healing) for the most past, and if I had to pick one I'd rather go with damage but healing would be nice to have as well if I am able to progress well with both types of spells.

So any class/build advice for this kind of character?

Note: I do relise bard fits the bill here pretty well but I'm both curious to see if there are other class combinations that works better, and I don't want to be a class that functions around singing and music.

2. A monk build, pretty standard idea for him. Move around fast, try to be hard to hit and have devastating punching attacks.

However two variants here I've been considering...

a) Lycanthropy
For the Nat AC, the Wis bonus, Imp Natural Attack and the Ability Score bonuses, is it worth it for a monk? If so what kind of lycanthrope do you think would work?

Note, I plan to be natural for a Monk if I am one so he can always remain in hybrid form.

b) Halfling Monk

I like the idea of a halfing monk, more AC, higher saving throws, pretty much harder to hit and harm. However, I'm also hit by lower speed and less damaging fists. Is this a good trade off? Is there other races that pull this kind of idea off better?

Chilingsworth
2013-02-02, 12:55 PM
Well, for the first one: Some sort of Jade Pheonix Mage build?

Something like: Wiz 8/Crusader 1/Spellsword 1/JPM 10

Focus in intelligence and dexterity. Wear +x Nimble Twilight blueshined Mithril Breastplate. Take weapon finesse, wield a rapier or an elven thinblade. Be caster level 17, initiator level 15, BAB +16.

Qc Storm
2013-02-02, 01:16 PM
Arcane Swordsage seems to fit the bill for #1.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-02-02, 01:40 PM
Well, for the first one: Some sort of Jade Pheonix Mage build?

Something like: Wiz 8/Crusader 1/Spellsword 1/JPM 10

Focus in intelligence and dexterity. Wear +x Nimble Twilight blueshined Mithril Breastplate. Take weapon finesse, wield a rapier or an elven thinblade. Be caster level 17, initiator level 15, BAB +16.

Looks likes an interesting class, I'll have to look more into it.

But I should of noted this sooner, I don't like wizard because I need to pick and choose my daily spells in advance. I prefer the spontaneous spell casting from sorcerer.

However it did remind me of one class I ran into that not only is spontaneous but can pick spells from both arcane and divine.

Basically the 'spellcaster' class here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#

Would this class be accepted though in a d&d game usually?

Arcane Swordsage seems to fit the bill for #1.

Swordsage doesn't have access to spells though.

Xaotiq1
2013-02-02, 01:41 PM
For #1, Swashbuckler3/Duskblade2/Abjurant Champion5/Duskblade10 would be pretty simple. You could also just use the Beguiler (PHBII), with a dip into swordsage for the Shadow Hand teleports.

For #2, well, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14625126#post14625126. Any race will work with this. Halfling or otherwise. If homebrew isn't allowed, maybe consider a Totemist (Magic of Incarnum). All the feral goodness of a lycanthrope, but no allergy to silver.

Bearlock
2013-02-02, 01:43 PM
I'm guessing that you're using the 3.5 system yeah?

If not or if you can use other things, check out the Pathfinder Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus). Using the Kensai archetype located at the bottom of the page along with the Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/pel-s-lab/dervish-dance) feat. Allows dex to damage instead of strength, and you can TWF with the scimitar in one hand and a spell in the other, or channel spells through your sword.

I can't find it at the moment, but I did have a were-tiger monk build stashed somewhere, I don't recall if it was the best or I just thought it was the coolest.

Halfling monks can be awesome, there are a number of feats out there that are strictly +whatever against larger targets, which to a halfling is pretty much everything, sorry I do not have anything more specific than that off hand

Qc Storm
2013-02-02, 01:46 PM
Swordsage doesn't have access to spells though.

It's not extremely official, but the Tome of Battle offers a suggestion for a swordsage ACF that is just that.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-02, 02:54 PM
b) Halfling Monk
I like the idea of a halfing monk, more AC, higher saving throws, pretty much harder to hit and harm. However, I'm also hit by lower speed and less damaging fists. Is this a good trade off? Is there other races that pull this kind of idea off better?

Be sure to check out the Hin Fist substitution levels if Faerun setting stuff is allowed. Some good options for halflings. There are also decent halfling monk racial substitution levels available in any setting in Races of the Wild. I think you can finagle these to offset size penalties to trip and go for some kind of skirmish-enabled trip build.

A cool idea would be to pick up Elocater from XPH, though the feat reqs aren't good. The movement is nice, and the big goody comes at late levels, where you can make a second 5 foot step in any round, allowing you to qualify for skirmish with two free actions, provided you take them before you attack. If you go with the trip stuff, you can lightning-step in, trip, pow, then maybe you have stunned them and they are prone. Or go for Improved Combat Reflexes and whack em twice when they stand up.

The 3.0 item called, I think, training dummy, may also allow this to work for a monk. Sane DMs might not think allowing this item a good thing, but it's only for monk, as I recall, so how bad can it be? I believe that it allows a monk to move 10' as part of his free action 5' step, must all be done at a single time, I think, so not quite as useful as elocater class feature, but hella cheaper.

Also, look at Titan Fighting and Underfoot Combat feats for a small monk. I sense some coolness of Tashalatora and compression power here, but for the racial substitution perks, you need to stick to monk for 7 levels. Still, +4 to Stunning Fist DCs is formidable. Look at Pain Touch from Complete Warrior if you want a stunning fist build, also Pharaoh's Fist from Sandstorm.

Finally, the best way to offset size penalties for halflings is wild shape. Master of the North Wind PrC combines druid and monk, and I'm sure you can find lots of stuff out there about combining polymorph stuff and monks.

Seharvepernfan
2013-02-02, 04:57 PM
Well, for the first, consider a duskblade or a swiftblade.

For the second, consider a swordsage. If that just doesn't float your boat, I'd suggest an Improved Unarmed Strike rogue before monk, or better yet, a monk 1/rogue x (or rogue 1/monk 1/rogue x).

Daftendirekt
2013-02-02, 05:34 PM
If you're playing Pathfinder, a DEX-based Magus is picture perfect for your #1 idea.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-02, 07:29 PM
For #1, Swashbuckler3/Duskblade2/Abjurant Champion5/Duskblade10 would be pretty simple. You could also just use the Beguiler (PHBII), with a dip into swordsage for the Shadow Hand teleports.

For #2, well, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14625126#post14625126. Any race will work with this. Halfling or otherwise. If homebrew isn't allowed, maybe consider a Totemist (Magic of Incarnum). All the feral goodness of a lycanthrope, but no allergy to silver.

That's only Duskblade 12 - it seems a shame that you miss out on their (arguable) best feature - full attack channeling.

Much as it hurts, I'd suggest dropping the Swashbuckler levels entirely and doing something like Duskblade 5/AbjChamp 5/Duskblade 8/Spellsword 1/X 2.

True_Shiniken did a set of Elven Bladesinger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179198) racial sub levels for the Duskblade. Might be of interest.