PDA

View Full Version : Outsider lich?

sambouchah
2013-02-02, 02:12 PM
If a monk became an outsider could he be a lich as well?

Urpriest
2013-02-02, 02:17 PM
No, he would need to use Lichfiend.

sambouchah
2013-02-02, 02:19 PM
No, he would need to use Lichfiend.

Where is that located?

Sgt. Cookie
2013-02-02, 02:21 PM
Libris Mortis: The Book of Bad latin.

Tokuhara
2013-02-02, 03:41 PM
So here's a variant question (mind you, I'm AFB at the moment).

Let's say I'm playing in a game as a Neraph Dread Necromancer 20. Does the capstone ability turn me into a Lich, or a Lichfiend?

Urpriest
2013-02-02, 04:44 PM
So here's a variant question (mind you, I'm AFB at the moment).

Let's say I'm playing in a game as a Neraph Dread Necromancer 20. Does the capstone ability turn me into a Lich, or a Lichfiend?

It doesn't turn you into a Lichfiend. In fact, as the last sentence of the class feature states, nonhumanoid Dread Necromancers simply do not gain that class feature.

Cog
2013-02-02, 07:20 PM
Possibly worth noting: 20th level Monks don't actually become outsiders - they're just treated as such for spells and magical effects. Becoming a lich might involve magical effects, sure, but given how vague the details are, it's greatly open to DM interpretation whether that'd get in the way here.

KillianHawkeye
2013-02-02, 10:32 PM
The real issue would be qualifying to become a Lich at all when you're a 20th level Monk. Monk's aren't spellcasters.

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-02, 10:42 PM
The real issue would be qualifying to become a Lich at all when you're a 20th level Monk. Monk's aren't spellcasters.

It's been a while, but does having an effective caster level for an ability mean the same thing as having a caster level? Because then the Monk just needs to be able to cast a single spell and bump their CL by 1 to qualify for the Lich template.

Zanthy1
2013-02-02, 10:49 PM
It's been a while, but does having an effective caster level for an ability mean the same thing as having a caster level? Because then the Monk just needs to be able to cast a single spell and bump their CL by 1 to qualify for the Lich template.

In 3.5 it states that the character must have a caster level 11 or higher in order to make the phylactery, not sure how that would work...

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-02, 10:54 PM
In 3.5 it states that the character must have a caster level 11 or higher in order to make the phylactery, not sure how that would work...

Assuming that the effective caster level for Abundant Step counts as a Caster Level, then a level 20 Monk has a Caster Level of 10.

The template also states they just need to "cast spells", with no specific spell level required. So if a Monk can be given the ability to cast even a 0 level spell and has their CL bumped up 1, they would qualify.

Lord_Gareth
2013-02-02, 10:58 PM
Assuming that the effective caster level for Abundant Step counts as a Caster Level, then a level 20 Monk has a Caster Level of 10.

The template also states they just need to "cast spells", with no specific spell level required. So if a Monk can be given the ability to cast even a 0 level spell and has their CL bumped up 1, they would qualify.

Which only leaves the problem of surviving long enough to become a level 20 monk, the real reason you never see monk liches.

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-02, 11:00 PM
Which only leaves the problem of surviving long enough to become a level 20 monk, the real reason you never see monk liches.

And if that doesn't work, then the Monk could take something like the Magical Training feat, which does.

But yeah, surviving is the rub.