View Full Version : Can I buy a decent tower for around 300 bucks?

Bhu
2013-02-02, 07:02 PM
Getting the PC I have fixed seems to be becoming inordinately troublesome with shops wanting to scam me on repair fees (plus it seems my sisters evil ex put an illegal copy of xp on it, and I'm not sure I can find all the drivers I need to do a clean install once i get a real copy). Looking online I notice there may be machines in the price range I have, but most low end Gateway or HP stuff, or refurbished. Any advice?

Jimorian
2013-02-02, 07:09 PM
Getting a refurb is a good way to go. Because the growth curve on CPU power has flattened, a low-end spec machine these days is still pretty darned good. Building your own is good, too, but getting a legit copy of Windows to go with it makes it probably more like $500.

I got a $300 XP machine about 4 years ago that worked really well, but I already had a spare monitor, keyboard, and mouse to go with it.

scurv
2013-02-02, 07:32 PM
Windows update can take care of 90% of your driver issues (under optional updates) But that aside if you have a CD key on your pc reuse that! Otherwise for 300 you can piece one together nicely with used parts. Just hang out at a mom-n-paps pc repair shop till you find someone with BO who is kinda disfunctional, and talk them in to remaking you a pc on a budget

Bhu
2013-02-02, 07:53 PM
Windows update can take care of 90% of your driver issues (under optional updates) But that aside if you have a CD key on your pc reuse that! Otherwise for 300 you can piece one together nicely with used parts. Just hang out at a mom-n-paps pc repair shop till you find someone with BO who is kinda disfunctional, and talk them in to remaking you a pc on a budget

I don't have the key. :smallfrown: And by drivers I meant the cable modem, network card, graphics card, etc. I'm trying to find out what they are so I can track down appropriate sites to find stuff for them.