PDA

View Full Version : Dire Tiger Mount Price

koesherbacon
2013-02-02, 08:58 PM
Quick question - How much would a Dire Tiger cost in terms of buying one as a mount?

Thanks

Seharvepernfan
2013-02-02, 09:32 PM
It's 1300gp for a War Dire Tiger, so less than that.

Harugami
2013-02-02, 09:51 PM
now useing that number go look up the difference between a war trained pet and a mount of the same type and use the differences to find the real price.

ArcturusV
2013-02-02, 10:01 PM
It's half price, least based off Warhorses/ponies, light and heavy.

So a Dire Tiger would be 650 gp.

awa
2013-02-02, 11:25 PM
war beast template is a bit different (assuming that's what your using) so halving it is probably not appropriate

although personally i never like those level based price systems they tend to break down fairly quickly. for example a cow trained for war is more expensive then a dire bat trained for war

Eugenides
2013-02-02, 11:39 PM
although personally i never like those level based price systems they tend to break down fairly quickly. for example a cow trained for war is more expensive then a dire bat trained for war

Well, that makes sense. A cow is more expensive to train, and frankly, more useful.

koesherbacon
2013-02-02, 11:58 PM
It's 1300gp for a War Dire Tiger, so less than that.

I'll just use that number, since having it trained for War makes sense. Thanks.

Where'd you get that from, btw?

Seharvepernfan
2013-02-03, 12:31 AM
I'll just use that number, since having it trained for War makes sense. Thanks.

Where'd you get that from, btw?

The Warbeast template in MM2.

Urpriest
2013-02-03, 01:15 AM
Note that if it's not a Warbeast, you can't typically buy it: people don't sell untamed animals as mounts. That said, Arms and Equipment Guide might have a price for this, but it's 3.0 content so your DM might not accept it.

awa
2013-02-03, 01:17 AM
Well, that makes sense. A cow is more expensive to train, and frankly, more useful.

are you being sarcastic?
edit
war beast is also 3.0 so is no more likely to be accepted.
editx2
I would suspect you could buy untrained animals either with the assumption that they be stuck in a Colosseum, zoo, or be trained by the purchaser, you don't need to train it up to warbeast level a dire animal can fight with out training all you really need to do is train it to not attack people you like

Eugenides
2013-02-03, 02:49 AM
are you being sarcastic?

Not in the least. Cow has a better stat block than a bat (I'm assuming, I'm currently AFB, but it likely will have a better strength stat and likely a higher damage slam/gore attack due to size.) Hence more damage.

TuggyNE
2013-02-03, 04:26 AM
Not in the least. Cow has a better stat block than a bat (I'm assuming, I'm currently AFB, but it likely will have a better strength stat and likely a higher damage slam/gore attack due to size.) Hence more damage.

Not sure what book cows would be in, but taking bison as a base and fixing the attack bonus/damage for secondary weapon gives +5 (1d8+4) vs +5 (1d8+4) for a dire bat. Flight and blindsense is arguably more valuable than scent.

Not a regular bat, btw.

SiuiS
2013-02-03, 04:32 AM
war beast is also 3.0 so is no more likely to be accepted.

3.0 material is explicitly legal in a 3.5 game unless it is overwritten or no longer in the system. War beast is an acceptable 3.5 template.

Buying a war beast costs 50 gold per hit die, as 75 for the first die I believe. It also increases HD by one. Training a war beast costs ranks in handle Animal and a cool backstory, and is otherwise free.

Eugenides
2013-02-03, 04:33 AM
Not sure what book cows would be in, but taking bison as a base and fixing the attack bonus/damage for secondary weapon gives +5 (1d8+4) vs +5 (1d8+4) for a dire bat. Flight and blindsense is arguably more valuable than scent.

Not a regular bat, btw.

Ah. Well, if tho're the numbers (adjusting a Bison is what I likely would have done as well), then there you go.
Though honestly, we're training a cow for combat. You're paying extra money because the broker has figured out you're a complete moron and figures he can charge you extra.

TuggyNE
2013-02-03, 05:02 AM
Though honestly, we're training a cow for combat. You're paying extra money because the broker has figured out you're a complete moron and figures he can charge you extra.

Can't argue with that one. :smallyuk:

Clistenes
2013-02-03, 06:12 AM
Can you ride a non-War Dire Tiger at all? Because the Warbeast template is meant to train the critter to be ridden by you, among other things.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-03, 06:47 AM
Ah. Well, if tho're the numbers (adjusting a Bison is what I likely would have done as well), then there you go.

I'll just leave this here (http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/11-animals-more-likely-to-kill-you-than-sharks). (check the eleventh entry)

And this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI)

awa
2013-02-03, 09:14 AM
the cow was just a hypothetical example the point is the pricing system only cares about hit die not the value or rarity of the animal.

if i were a dm using the 1300 gold price version i would be concerned about pc buying a mount well outside there weight class I believe you could afford this cr 8 mount by 3rd level also keeping in mind that the beast will be even more powerful then normal do to the template and armor it will now have.

Greenish
2013-02-03, 09:23 AM
Not sure what book cows would be in, but taking bison as a base and fixing the attack bonus/damage for secondary weapon But it wouldn't be a secondary weapon for a cow trained in war.

awa
2013-02-03, 11:28 AM
the advantage of a dire bat over a cow is not that the dire bat is a better fighter its that its a flying mount with good maneuverability available long before at will flying is normally available

Deaxsa
2013-02-03, 12:18 PM
Can you ride a non-War Dire Tiger at all? Because the Warbeast template is meant to train the critter to be ridden by you, among other things.

does riding a wildshaped druid count? or does the fact that the druid has more than 2 INT mean that it will follow different rules? more in line with the rules, couldn't a druid/ranger wild empathy a dire tiger into being a mount for a short while?

awa
2013-02-03, 01:33 PM
sure you can ride a non war tiger just train it for ridding not war.

TuggyNE
2013-02-03, 05:06 PM
I'll just leave this here (http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/11-animals-more-likely-to-kill-you-than-sharks). (check the eleventh entry)

That's more a reflection on how absurdly unlikely sharks are to kill you than anything else; cows and horses have roughly the same number of kills, which supports the idea that cows, like horses, have secondary attacks only.

But it wouldn't be a secondary weapon for a cow trained in war.

I suppose that's true. :smallsigh:

White_Drake
2013-02-03, 05:23 PM
But it wouldn't be a secondary weapon for a cow trained in war.

Anybody here remember Chelsea?

Clistenes
2013-02-05, 10:40 AM
sure you can ride a non war tiger just train it for ridding not war.

But the rules don't say that you can train all domesticated animals to be ridden, do they? I guess that some animals just can't learn some of the tricks.

And even if you trained a tiger to be ridden as part a circus show or something, could it be good mount?.

I dunno, knowing how a real tiger would react to that, I have real trouble accepting that a normal tiger could be trained as a mount.

White_Drake
2013-02-05, 11:51 AM
In reality there is no way any feline creature could serve as a mount, they just aren't built properly for it. Plus I'm pretty sure any tiger you approached with that request would eat you. Ironically, I love cats, so my primary character is currently attempting to procure a tiger mount. Rule of cool; logic lies bloody and beaten before it.

awa
2013-02-05, 12:02 PM
why would you guess some animals cant learn certain tricks. None of the srd handle animal rules even imply that as far as I'm aware you just teach animals the trick and boom they know that trick. Is the animal at least one size larger then the rider? Does it have a carrying capacity high enough to carry the rider? then it can be ridden if the mount is inappropriate for ridding then you get a penalty on the ride check but it's not clear what is considered inappropriate ive seen wizard of the coast designed creatures ridding beholders, ogres, and even gelatinous cubes.