PDA

View Full Version : Best Character Setups

Guddasheus Hawk
2013-02-03, 11:07 AM
I'm New To D and D, and so are all my friends even the Dm except he knows a lot more than us.:smallconfused: He said I need to set up a character sheet and I Was Just wondering what is good for a newbie? Also Post Tips For Playing If You Have Any!:smallwink:

Lentrax
2013-02-03, 11:21 AM
Tip one: have fun. This is paramount to anything. If you don't have fun, you won't enjoy the game.

Also, this should probably be moved to the role playing forum.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-02-03, 01:35 PM
Do you know what edition you're playing?

Dr.Epic
2013-02-03, 02:55 PM
Fighter is probably easiest if this is your first time. Barbarian is also probably easier, but it's not as open in terms of build and roleplaying as fighter.

Temotei
2013-02-06, 09:40 PM
The rogue is a good starting class, in my opinion. Consider picking a rogue.

Also, Tome of Battle (if you have it) has three base classes that are basically impossible to make bad, but are balanced nonetheless, and therefore good starting classes.

Razanir
2013-02-07, 10:58 AM
Fighter is probably easiest if this is your first time. Barbarian is also probably easier, but it's not as open in terms of build and roleplaying as fighter.

Barbarians are open in roleplay... (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2004/07/10/episode-440-berserkers-want-what-we-all-want-civilization/)

Synovia
2013-02-07, 12:09 PM

Fighter is terrible for a newbie. A fighter has to be heavily optimized to be relevant.

I'd play one of the spontaneous casting classes (like Sorceror). They're a bit easier to understand than a Vancian caster, but they're still very flexible.

With fighter, there's an awful lot of situations where you're gonna be stuck with "I sharpen my sword while this other character does something useful for the party"

Krazzman
2013-02-08, 05:46 AM
If you play 3.5:
What books are allowed? DnD 3.5 edition has a lot of sourcebooks with interesting classes you could choose. And needs some system mastery to make "strong" characters.

If you play 4th Edition:
Remember to have the team be rounded. 1 Controller, 1 Striker... and so on. The classes are divided into roles.
There I think you should take what you think is fun, I tried out a rogue and didn't have a fun time because of the rules (means be sure to look into them at least) being not able for me to read.

Rektro
2013-02-08, 01:40 PM
If You're playing 3.5 I think a good class to play is a Paladin in regards to learning what you feel is fun.

1: Good BAB (Base attack bonus) so youre often to hit things so long as you dont roll a 1.

2: Limited Spell Casting gives you a decent idea on what its like to have spells available to you, as well as what spells are useful.

3: Pretty easy to get into playing a paladin. Just do everything that you know is right. wont have much alignment conflict trying to figure out what you would and wouldnt do.

after playing a little bit if you dont like your character, pick out the reasons why and pick a different class based on that. aka Spells are weak, pick a wizard or cleric, or dont like the spell casting? Just go barbarian and smash things, or maybe you dont like being loud and clunky, then you'll probably want to go rogue.