PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Dojo Sorcerer Archetype (PEACH)

iTookUrNick
2013-02-03, 02:52 PM
Hello. This is a quick read, as you are probably familiar with most of the material already. I'd like the playground's opinion on the balance of the class, and whether or not it would make more sense to make a Magus archetype instead.

Sorcerer Archetype: Dojo Sorcerer
Some children manifest sorcerous abilities while training at a monastery. If such symptoms are readily recognized, said children can be taught a way to incorporate their magical abilities in their fighting style.
Alignment restriction: any lawful.

Class Skills
Add Perception, Sense motive to the list of class skills. Remove Bluff and Use Magic Devices from the list.

Weapons and armor proficiency
Dojo Sorcerers are proficient with a single weapon chosen from the monk's list. They are not proficient with armor and shields, as they interfere with both their monk's training and arcane abilities.

Unarmed Strike
At 1st level, a dojo sorcerer gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A dojo sorcerer's attacks may be with fist, elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a dojo sorcerer may make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a dojo sorcerer striking unarmed. A dojo sorcerer may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes.

Usually a dojo sorcerer's unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A dojo sorcerer's unarmed strike is treated as both a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A dojo sorcerer also deals more damage with his unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown above on Table: monk. The unarmed damage values listed on Table: monk is for Medium dojo sorcerer. A Small dojo sorcerer deals less damage than the amount given there with his unarmed attacks, while a Large monk deals more damage; see Table: Small or Large monk Unarmed Damage.

This ability replaces the Eschew Materials feat.

Bloodline Insight
The dojo sorcerer master her own heritage, channeling her energies into her fighting style:

Bloodline skill: Acrobatics.

Bonus Spells: Ki Arrow (3rd), Mirror Image (5th), Haste (7th), Dimension Door (9th), Freedom of Movement (11th), True Seeing (13th), Ethereal Jaunt (15th), Mind Blank (17th), Foresight (19th).

Bonus Feats: At 7th level, 13th level, and 19th level, a dojo sorcerer may select a bonus feat. These feats must be taken from the following list:

Stunning Fist, Catch Off-Guard, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Grapple, Scorpion Style, and Throw Anything, Gorgon's Fist, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Trip, and Mobility.

At 13th level, the following feats are added to the list:

Improved Critical, Medusa's Wrath, Snatch Arrows, and Spring Attack.

A dojo sorcerer need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Bloodline Arcana: Unlike most sorcerers, whose innate magic is powered by force of personality, you use your insight to understand and master your mystic powers. You use your Wisdom, rather than your Charisma, to determine all class features and effects relating to your sorcerer class, such as bonus spells per day, the maximum spell level you can cast, the save DCs of your spells, and the number of daily uses of your bloodline powers. Your Sorcerer levels count as Monk levels for the purpose of abilities, feats and feat requirements.

Bloodline Powers: you blend your martial training training with martial arts, using the power in your blood to enhance your body.

Flurry of Blows and Spells: Starting at 1st level, a dojo sorcerer can make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action. When doing so he may make one additional attack using any combination of unarmed strikes or attacks with a special monk weapon that he is proficient with (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham) as if using the Two-Weapon Fighting feat (even if the dojo sorcerer does not meet the prerequisites for the feat). For the purpose of these attacks, the dojo sorcerer's base attack bonus from his dojo sorcerer class levels is equal to his dojo sorcerer level. For all other purposes, such as qualifying for a feat or a prestige class, the dojo sorcerer uses his normal base attack bonus.

At 8th level, the dojo sorcerer can make two additional attacks when he uses flurry of blows, as if using Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (even if the dojo sorcerer does not meet the prerequisites for the feat).

At 15th level, the dojo sorcerer can make three additional attacks using flurry of blows, as if using Greater Two-Weapon Fighting (even if the dojo sorcerer does not meet the prerequisites for the feat).

A dojo sorcerer applies his full Strength bonus to his damage rolls for all successful attacks made with flurry of blows, whether the attacks are made with an off-hand or with a weapon wielded in both hands. A dojo sorcerer may substitute disarm, sunder, and trip combat maneuvers for unarmed attacks as part of a flurry of blows. A dojo sorcerer cannot use any weapon other than an unarmed strike or a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows. A dojo sorcerer with natural weapons cannot use such weapons as part of a flurry of blows, nor can he make natural attacks in addition to his flurry of blows attacks.

The dojo sorcerer can decide to forego one of his attacks in order to cast any spell he knows with a casting time of 1 standard action. If he casts this spell defensively, he can decide to take an additional penalty on his attack rolls, up to his Wisdom bonus, and add the same amount as a circumstance bonus on his concentration check. If the check fails, the spell is wasted, but the attacks still take the penalty. A dojo sorcerer can choose to cast the spell first or make the flurry attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks.

At 8th level, the dojo sorcerer's ability to cast spells and make melee attacks improves. When using the Flurry of Blows and Spells ability, the dojo sorcerer receives a +2 circumstance bonus on concentration checks, in addition to any bonus granted by taking an additional penalty on the attack roll.

At 14th level, the dojo sorcerer gains the ability to seamlessly cast spells and make melee attacks. Whenever he uses the Flurry of Blows and Spells ability, his concentration check bonus equals double the amount of the attack penalty taken.

Monk's AC bonus: at 3rd level, a dojo sorcerer becomes more apt at defending herself. When unarmored and unencumbered, the dojo sorcerer adds hes Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In addition, a dojo sorcerer gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four monk levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Maneuver Training: at 9th level, a Dojo Sorcerer uses his class level in place of his base attack bonus when calculating his Combat Maneuver Bonus. Base attack bonuses granted from other classes are unaffected and are added normally.

Focused Strike: at 15th level, a Dojo Sorcerer can focus an area of effect into a single point. When using her Spell Combat ability, she can cast an area of effect spell as a touch attack, affecting only her target. If the spell usually allows a saving throw on reflexes to reduce the effect, the spell offers no saving throw instead. Fort and Will saves are not affected by this ability.

Perfect Self: at 20th level, a dojo sorcerer becomes a magical creature. He is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the dojo sorcerer's creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the dojo sorcerer gains damage reduction 10/chaotic, which allows him to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonchaotic weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn't have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the dojo sorcerer can still be brought back from the dead as if he were a member of his previous creature type.

This ability replace the standard sorcerer's Bloodline ability.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-04, 09:10 AM
Ooh, I really like the flavor of it.

Nitpick: You're mixing up the terms "bloodline" and "archetype". This is a bloodline- other bloodlines are Arcane, Celestial, and Draconic. Archetypes are customization options that function above bloodlines. The only two sorcerer archetypes published by Paizo are Crossblooded and Wildblooded.

One problem I see is with Flurry of Blows. Giving an attack penalty to a 1/2 BAB class means they won't hit anything, ever. Since you incorporate so many monk and magus abilities, I think it makes more sense for this to be a magus archetype that gives them spontaneous casting, Flurry of Blows at 1st level instead of Spell Combat, and (rewritten?) Spell Combat at 2nd instead of Spellstrike. I do like that version of spell combat, flavorfully speaking, (because you're taking time out of your attacks to cast a spell), but mechanically it's a straight nerf of the magus' spell combat.

SamBurke
2013-02-04, 10:01 AM
Ooh, I really like the flavor of it.

Nitpick: You're mixing up the terms "bloodline" and "archetype". This is a bloodline- other bloodlines are Arcane, Celestial, and Draconic. Archetypes are customization options that function above bloodlines. The only two sorcerer archetypes published by Paizo are Crossblooded and Wildblooded.

This is actually both: since he alters the Class Skills, it's an archetype. THEN, he goes to the Bloodline.

SO, it should be labeled as an Archetype that restricts you to a specific bloodline, that of the Dojo Sorcerer.

All that said, I like it. The flavor is very nice, as mentioned, and it's a fun archetype to play.

I do think you could provide some better abilities, and/or copy-paste the abilities here. That way, people don't have to find the Monk Ability of the Same Name, they just have the ability. PLUS, that gives you the power to alter things slightly.

Flurry of Misses was not a good thing in 3.5, and it's horrible here, with a 1/2BAB.

What is the goal? What is this class trying to look like at the end of the day?

iTookUrNick
2013-02-04, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Indeed, I was not sure wether to make a bloodline or an archetype, and it shows. On one hand, I felt the constraints of 4 separate abilities (rather than paralel improvement throughout the levels) that a bloodline forces you into were not ideal. On the other hand, I like modularity, and giving the possibility to reuse someone's work in another setting. Hence, the confusion, but fortunately Mr. SamBurke figured it out :)

I'll cut and paste the abilities of the same name from the monk's page :smallsmile:

Finally, the BIG issue raised here was the BAB. I guess it depends a lot if you allow the clause that a monk's BAB is equal to his class level when flurrying. That makes a big difference, and practically begs for full attacks.
Personally, I would allow it, otherwise as you say it's quite useless. Plus, it's already in the monk's ability of the same name :smallamused:

As for why I did not use the magus as a base, well, I liked the idea of a caster punching a meteor-strike in someone's face. I still have to work that part in the design. Actually, I'll go ahead and change the 15th level power to something that will help do just that. Let me know what you think about it.

I'd also like to know some more about balance. One could say that I took everything worthwhile from the monk and gave it to a full caster. Someone else could say that I am encouraging a full caster to play as a monk... :smalltongue:

I'll probably rework the class as a Magus archetype as well as you suggested, but not tonight.