PDA

View Full Version : Limbo/Kythri planar adventures

RealMarkP
2013-02-03, 06:06 PM
So, my campaign got derailed a second time and the players are now on the ever changing, chaotic plane of Kythri (Limbo). They are all too inexperienced to plane shift, so I'm quite content keeping the campaign on this plane. I do, have some questions:

1. Are there any decent published (or 3rd party) adventures that deal with this plane?
2. Other than the Planar Handbook, what other sources should I read to understand what this plane is about?
3. Does a lawful creature endure the negative effects of this plane when under the spell of Protection Against Chaos?

SlaadLord
2013-02-03, 07:54 PM
I recommend reading the Manual of the Planes as well as the Planar Handbook, and even the section on the plane in the DMG might be helpful. As to the third question, Yes. Protection from Chaos only protects against chaotic creatures, mind-control magic, and the attacks of summoned creatures that are chaotic in alignment. Unless the planar alignment dominance rules say otherwise somewhere, that's all it protects against. However, the spell Resist Planar Alignment in the Planar Handbook helps to relieve the penalties of being on an opposed-alignment plane for a short time.

Mnemnosyne
2013-02-03, 08:04 PM
Planes of Chaos, from 2nd Edition, probably has the most complete source on Limbo that you'll find. Any stats will need to be either converted or ignored, but the background material is solid. It describes a couple communities and cities in the plane, as well as a few basic adventure ideas, and it explains how adventuring tends to take place there. Keep in mind that unless you have an anarch, people need to sleep in shifts so that someone is always awake to concentrate on maintaining the environment.

RealMarkP
2013-02-03, 11:19 PM
Planes of Chaos, from 2nd Edition, probably has the most complete source on Limbo that you'll find.
I'm assuming that's the title of the book? I'll see if I can get a copy. Thanks for the tip.

Keep in mind that unless you have an anarch, people need to sleep in shifts so that someone is always awake to concentrate on maintaining the environment.
See, it's info such as this that I didn't have access to during the session. A quick google told me that the plane shifts chaotically. You could be standing in a river of magma one minute, and a hurricane the next. I'm really having a hard time visualizing this place, maybe the aforementioned book will help.

Mnemnosyne
2013-02-04, 03:23 AM
Planes of Chaos is the Planescape boxed set dealing with the chaotic side of the great wheel, it has three books in it along with a bunch of poster maps. Some searching on Google should turn up some useful information. You might also want to look at planewalker.com for additional useful information. Their site doesn't seem well organized (to me, at least) but when you do find stuff you want, it's usually useful.

Well for a basic description, limbo is a soup of stuff that is constantly shifting forms. It generally forms raw matter, but more complex shapes do happen. Most commonly you'll just have globs of fire and earth and water and air floating around, and then other combinations of them forming and reforming at random.

It looks like a lot of the rules for it were updated to 3rd Edition in the Manual of the Planes, now that I look, so that's definitely a good source for the details on the rules about controlling it. I see they've been made far more lenient, and changed somewhat since 2nd Edition - in 2E, it required Intelligence to control limbo, now it's a Wisdom check. In 2E it also required total concentration, prohibiting that character from doing anything else, unless he's an Anarch, but in 3E it can apparently be maintained automatically. So, you'll really have to decide which of the sets of rules you prefer; if you want controlling the environment to be a major issue, then go with the 2E interpretation, but let the players get one of themselves trained as an Anarch relatively soon, or have them able to hire one to travel with them, so that they don't have to have someone constantly concentrating on maintaining their own environment.

Even if you decide controlling the environment isn't a big thing and go for the 3E rules on it, the stuff in Planes of Chaos should give you a better idea of the plane itself and its inhabitants, because it goes into far more detail (the MotP has about 3 pages on Limbo, while Planes of Chaos has considerably more).