PDA

View Full Version : Changling Warshaper tank - need midgame build help!

ddude987
2013-02-03, 06:47 PM
Complete and total Edit: (I botched the first writing)
Hello all,
So in my current campaign I am playing as the tank. Current build is - Changling 2 Fit/2 Bar/ 3 Warshaper/1 Monk - 24/18/24/13/12/10 - Dragonspawn (white) and Arctic templates. Yes I know the Dragonspawn template got updated but I am using the origional.
So I decided I hate Monk and would rather go around with a big scary sword than punch people with my beard. So I am retraining that level. I have no idea what to retrain it to (which is my dilema.)
Lastly, I am going into 1 Wiz/5 Abjurant Champ/1 Spellsword/1 Soul Eater. Soul Eater is part of my characters story and is going in at level 12. The casting portion of this build I have no idea when to start implimenting. Should I retrain Monk to Wiz and start with the PRCs?
Current Feats: Improved Init, Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Weapon FOcus(2 Claws) for Soul Eater. Level 9 I will be taking Combat Casting for Abjurant Champ and I will be giving up Scribe scroll in Wizard for fighter feats and grab Improved Trip.
Any thoughts/help with the progression of this build is greatly appretiated. I have 5 levels I don't know what to do with as well as no idea the best way to start going into the Gish portion of the build. Thanks!

Note: Int will not be a problem for casting, I will be getting wish bumps and headband of Int. Also the casting is primarily for self buffs.

meemaas
2013-02-03, 10:33 PM
Personally, i like the fourth level of Warshaper on any Changeling character that doesn't somehow get fast healing from another source. Never have to worry about health outside of combat again is pretty useful, even if not the most optimal option out there, it really helps with the survivability, unless you manage to chain encounters within mere rounds of each other.

ddude987
2013-02-03, 11:49 PM
Personally, i like the fourth level of Warshaper on any Changeling character that doesn't somehow get fast healing from another source. Never have to worry about health outside of combat again is pretty useful, even if not the most optimal option out there, it really helps with the survivability, unless you manage to chain encounters within mere rounds of each other.

Okay thanks for the input. Keep the input coming guys :D

Feralventas
2013-02-03, 11:54 PM
Melee combatant unsure of what to progress in next?

Always Warblade if Tome of Battle is allowed. Swordsage if you like the monk-type fluff and stuff. Crusader if you want your character to pick up religion.

Going from there into BloodClaw Master (another semi-shape-shift PrC for Tiger Claw Maneuvers) should fit fine if you want to PrC more after Warshaper. Otherwise, pure progression of any of the three base classes in the ToB should do quite nicely.

ddude987
2013-02-04, 05:50 PM
Melee combatant unsure of what to progress in next?

Always Warblade if Tome of Battle is allowed. Swordsage if you like the monk-type fluff and stuff. Crusader if you want your character to pick up religion.

Going from there into BloodClaw Master (another semi-shape-shift PrC for Tiger Claw Maneuvers) should fit fine if you want to PrC more after Warshaper. Otherwise, pure progression of any of the three base classes in the ToB should do quite nicely.

Tomb is banned, DM thinks it is to like 4.0ed so he won't allow it. Thanks though. Anybody have ideas on how to further the casting portion of the build or improve it?

Edit: Also pure Warblade progression would be bad because once I have more than 3 levels in it I get xp penaties because the other base classes are not within 1 level of it.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-05, 07:15 PM
I rather like Martial Rogue (ie, the UA variant that trades SA for fighter feats) with a Changeling Warshaper, though you'd want to have done it at level 1 for the delicious 10 + int skill points (racial sub level) to be multiplied by 4.

What Wizard spells do you plan on using? If mostly out of combat buffs, consider a Barbarian dip. Rage or Whirling Frenzy + pounce is great, and you can get more uses per day via UMD'ing a wand of Blood Frenzy (Druid 2 spell from SpC; target enters rage w/o using up a daily use of it).

If you do plan on raising the Int, Factotum is a great 3 level dip class to add Int to all str and dex based checks and skill checks.

ddude987
2013-02-05, 10:26 PM
I rather like Martial Rogue (ie, the UA variant that trades SA for fighter feats) with a Changeling Warshaper, though you'd want to have done it at level 1 for the delicious 10 + int skill points (racial sub level) to be multiplied by 4.

What Wizard spells do you plan on using? If mostly out of combat buffs, consider a Barbarian dip. Rage or Whirling Frenzy + pounce is great, and you can get more uses per day via UMD'ing a wand of Blood Frenzy (Druid 2 spell from SpC; target enters rage w/o using up a daily use of it).

If you do plan on raising the Int, Factotum is a great 3 level dip class to add Int to all str and dex based checks and skill checks.

UA is banned so I can't do the rogue. I plan on using things like mirror image, greater blinking, enlarge person, polymorph, dragonic polymorph, "bite of the..." spells that are good, nerveskitter, and any others that people suggest because I don't know everything.

I don't want to dip Factotum as hitting the highest spells I can get seems to be more optimal. Any suggestions on PRCs for arcane gishing, or just good arcane PRCs in general?

Siltharon
2013-02-06, 02:51 AM

common mistake ... Factotum doesn't let you add Int to str and dex based checks. It lets you add it to str and dex checks which is way worse (no int to init :/ ).

Ok now to the build (btw it would be great to clarify if /bar/ means barbarian)
Are we just talking about that one level or rather about generally adding fighting power?
If you are just concerned about that one level then just start off with the wizard .... earlier spells never hurt
Otherwise meemaas got a good point and fast healing is a pretty dope thing to have.

If you don't want any of those ... 1 level ardent or cleric? Taking the right domains or mantles would net you some neat boni and the powers/spells are also not that terrible to have.

limejuicepowder
2013-02-06, 07:18 AM
I don't think wizard is the way to go, honestly. As a DM I would seriously question such a dip, and you'd better have a good reason for it.

Instead, I think binder is the way to go. They don't have nearly the problem solving abilities of a real caster, but they do get some nifty things, especially for melee. The binding can also easily be refluffed as further aspects of your shapeshifting, which I think is a lot cleaner than a barbarian (I assume that's what bar is) suddenly taking a great interest in arcane secrets.

I admit I'm making assumptions about your character, but based on class levels alone it just seems odd to me.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-06, 07:38 PM
common mistake ... Factotum doesn't let you add Int to str and dex based checks. It lets you add it to str and dex checks which is way worse (no int to init :/ ).

Except Initiative *is* a dexterity check, so it does actually work.

But yes, poor wording on my part. Will buff Init, many combat maneuvers, and all str and dex skills. Which is still a lot of stuff.

ddude987
2013-02-06, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I've decided finally on retraining my Monk level to Wizard. From there I am taking levels in Abjurant Champion until I meet prerequisites of Spellsword and taking one level in that before finishing Abjurant champion. Also will be sticking a level of Soul Eater in there. I think that still leaves me with 5 levels to still do whatever with, and my casting progression at level 7 which means to hit level 6 spells I need 4 out of 5 levels to advance casting. Any ideas on good dips or 5 levels arcane prcs?

Siltharon
2013-02-07, 03:59 AM
Except Initiative *is* a dexterity check, so it does actually work.

But yes, poor wording on my part. Will buff Init, many combat maneuvers, and all str and dex skills. Which is still a lot of stuff.

hola ... thanks for correcting me there. Yes Initiative is a dex check :)
"An initiative check is a Dexterity check."

the 3 level dip still might be too much for a non skillmonkey though

ddude987
2013-02-07, 07:07 PM
hola ... thanks for correcting me there. Yes Initiative is a dex check :)
"An initiative check is a Dexterity check."

the 3 level dip still might be too much for a non skillmonkey though

I agree. Also my Int probably won't be getting higher than 22ish, +6 enhancment, +5 from wish

Juntao112
2013-02-08, 01:41 AM
How do you feel about Chameleons?

ddude987
2013-02-08, 02:17 PM
How do you feel about Chameleons?

Seems like a good idea. However I was thinking of focusing on arcane especially since the abjurant champion prc capstone helps with my caster level.