PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Hit die Confusion

Cranthis
2013-02-03, 07:15 PM
So, I can swear I remember reading somewhere that dragon hit die stacks with sorcerer casting. But now I can't find it anywhere. Does it, or does it not stack? I would assume it doesn't, but I can still swear I read it somewhere or another.

JaronK
2013-02-03, 07:18 PM
Dragon hit die don't. Most True Dragons happen to get Sorcerer casting, and this does stack, but the HD themselves don't do anything.

JaronK

Cranthis
2013-02-03, 07:41 PM
Dragon hit die don't. Most True Dragons happen to get Sorcerer casting, and this does stack, but the HD themselves don't do anything.

JaronK

Ok, thats what I must have read then. Thanks.

awa
2013-02-03, 10:44 PM
im just picturing how that would annihilate the cr system

So im a adult white dragon (cr 10) i just happen to have 9th level spells this is clearly a fair and balanced encounter.

Eric Scott
2013-02-04, 08:25 AM
im just picturing how that would annihilate the cr system

So im a adult white dragon (cr 10) i just happen to have 9th level spells this is clearly a fair and balanced encounter.

It may not be balanced or fair... but, it definitely make for an interesting and certainly deadly encounter... sounds like fun to me.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-02-04, 08:49 AM
So, I can swear I remember reading somewhere that dragon hit die stacks with sorcerer casting. But now I can't find it anywhere. Does it, or does it not stack? I would assume it doesn't, but I can still swear I read it somewhere or another.

If I understand it correctly then it works the other way round, so sorcerer levels would stack with dragons natural casting but dragon HD does not inherently improve sorcerer casting.

Crake
2013-02-04, 10:04 AM
If I understand it correctly then it works the other way round, so sorcerer levels would stack with dragons natural casting but dragon HD does not inherently improve sorcerer casting.

Dragon HD will eventually improve sorcerer casting when the dragon enters a new age category, but aside from that, yes.

Also, i think theres a thing somewhere that lets dragons use int and cast as wizards instead, if you want to go the studious dragon instead of the inherent power dragon

supermonkeyjoe
2013-02-04, 10:10 AM
Dragon HD will eventually improve sorcerer casting when the dragon enters a new age category, but aside from that, yes.

Also, i think theres a thing somewhere that lets dragons use int and cast as wizards instead, if you want to go the studious dragon instead of the inherent power dragon

Yes but only if it's advancement of a true dragon or other dragon that says it casts sp[ells as a sorcerer of Xth level, just having dragon HD on its own won't improve sorcerer casting.

Psyren
2013-02-04, 01:26 PM
It may not be balanced or fair... but, it definitely make for an interesting and certainly deadly encounter... sounds like fun to me.

TPKs might be fun for you, but most players who took time out of their day to come to that gaming table would be disappointed at the very least.

Anyway, it's moot since adult white dragons actually cap at 1st-level spells.

Keld Denar
2013-02-04, 01:37 PM
And I think it is fairly safe to say that Sorcerer levels would be associated levels for a dragon, so having a CR12 dragon with 20th level Sorcerer casting is fairly unlikely.