PDA

View Full Version : My Lovecraft-Inspired Roleplaying Game (Work in Progress; PEACH)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-02-03, 09:19 PM
I've been thinking a bit about a tabletop roleplaying game with a setting that combines the concepts from H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, and Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere; and a system that draws from Apocalypse World, FATE Core, and D&D Fourth Edition. It would have a sort of dark, surreal tone - with visceral combat and weird imagery.

Characters are people who have slipped into a sort of demented alternate dimension overlapping with our own. In some places, things are the same. In others, reality is disturbing and off-kilter. The two states of being often mesh together in disturbing and unexpected ways.

The characters start off as mostly normal people, but start to take on the characteristics of their surroundings, gaining monstrous mutations and disturbing powers.

Complete list of influences would include: H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos stories, Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, Don't Rest Your Head, JAGS Wonderland, the Silent Hill games, They Bleed Pixels, Hellraiser.

System

When a character attempts something that challenges their abilities, the player rolls three six-sided dice and adds together the results. The number is then modified by a small single-digit number based on the character's competence, and another small number based on the difficulty of the task.

On a total result of 9 or lower, the character fails in their endevour. They may also suffer a new disadvantage, depending on the stakes.

On a result of 10-12, the character gains what is called a "quirky success". They can choose to either partially succeed, or fully succeed, but gain a new disadvantage. Once they have chosen, the Game Master decides the details of the result.

On a result of 13 or higher, the character fully succeeds.

The game would be built to that modifiers to the roll would almost never exceed +3 or -3.

Combat

Combat works much like D&D Fourth Edition, in that it is divided into very finite encounters. Some abilities can be used at will, some only once per encounter, and some once per day.

Combat itself would be designed to feel quick and visceral. An attack roll would work in much the same way as a skill check. A 9 or lower misses. A 13 or higher hits, dealing full damage. On a 10-12, a character can choose to deal reduced damage, or deal full damage, but gain a new disadvantage. The equivalent of "armour class" would modify the attack roll.

Tactical movement would probably be a thing, but it would be more abstract than in D&D. A round would probably also represent a longer stretch of time.

Characters

The "canvas" for a character is a normal person with a skill-set. This skill-set is based on their occupation. They might be a scientist, a truck-driver, a soldier, a college student, anything. These characters are modified with some sort of point-buy system used to purchase mutations and abilities.

Characters might start out with a few points, or none at all. As they are exposed to fell arcana, they gain more points. Players spend these points between adventures to augment their characters, becoming increasingly monstrous and powerful until their humanity is gone.

Characters are relatively tough, and likely not to go down in one hit. Harmful effects linger and accumulate, however, and characters must also face eachother.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fZGd5DiyEgSlfpge99NfS3LlvcPTUVS-GQVqE0G8nIs/edit#

Frathe
2013-02-03, 11:40 PM
You may or may not be aware of Call of Cthulhu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu_(role-playing_game)), an existing Lovecraftian RPG. I'm not saying its existence should affect your system.

Can you give some examples of what the "disadvantages" that you can choose to gain on a 10-12 roll might be?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-03, 11:47 PM
On a result of 10-12, the character gains what is called a "quirky success". They can choose to either partially succeed, or fully succeed, but gain a new disadvantage. Once they have chosen, the Game Master decides the details of the result.

This seems ambiguous and vague. It's going to be very complex and difficult to balance everything a player could possibly try to do with a partial success and an appropriate disadvantage that makes the decision interesting.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-02-04, 12:00 AM
You may or may not be aware of Call of Cthulhu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu_(role-playing_game)), an existing Lovecraftian RPG. I'm not saying its existence should affect your system.
I am aware of, and enjoy, Call of Cthulhu. Great game, but I plan on drawing very little influence from it in the design.

This seems ambiguous and vague. It's going to be very complex and difficult to balance everything a player could possibly try to do with a partial success and an appropriate disadvantage that makes the decision interesting.
Bob wants to climb up a wall. Its a difficult climb, so he takes a -1 modifier to the roll. He is very competent, however, and has a skill of +2. He rolls 3d6 and adds 1, gaining a total of 12.

If he chooses to gain a partial success, he makes it half way up the wall, and must roll again on his next turn if he wants to make it to the top. If he chooses the disadvantage, he makes it all the way up, but sprains his wrist.

Plato Play-Doh
2013-02-04, 08:26 AM
This looks like a system that's going to be heavily reliant on the GM for just about everything, with little or no mechanics for the disadvantages/partial successes. It could be mechanically driven in that, but it would be pretty difficult to work out every situation possible. Not necessarily bad, but probably hard on GMs.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-02-04, 07:28 PM
I added some stuff about character creation and advancement.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-02-04, 07:56 PM
This looks like a system that's going to be heavily reliant on the GM for just about everything, with little or no mechanics for the disadvantages/partial successes. It could be mechanically driven in that, but it would be pretty difficult to work out every situation possible. Not necessarily bad, but probably hard on GMs.

This.

It looks extremely rules-light, and, while that can be a good thing, I'm really seeing nothing but a resolution mechanic at the moment.

Also, what sort of minor disadvantages are we looking at here? If there's no penalty for partial success, PCs will likely just pick that every time: spraining your wrist seems like a rather painful side-effect for what is conceivably an average roll to climb a wall.

Finally, you mention abilities: unless you're using a very FATE stunt approach to abilities (and, with uses/day and so forth, that seems unlikely), I don't think system if mechanically robust enough to actually support such abilities.

Obviously reserving judgement for more mechanics and more explanation of the system goals, but that's my opinion so far.

Feirgon
2013-02-05, 07:49 PM
I think this is a pretty cool concept. It reminds me slightly of The Burning Circle in that choices are story driven. This usually means that the GM has a bigger role in the game, but that has never bothered me. I find the games I enjoy the most are the ones where the GM lets me tell a story for an action and then tells a story in response.

I do say that the hardest thing to define will be you skills or skill groups. Perhaps you can always drive the level of difficulty through story, but then character creation will start with fewer options. Here are the two approaches as I see it:

1. Climbing is a skill that can be learned. When tasked with any challenge that involves climbing, this skill is used. This approach allows for mechanically well defined characters. However, this requires that the game provide a solid list to choose from.

2. Climbing is not a skill. Instead, when attempting to climb, attributes suitable to the task (aka Strength) modify the attempt. This approach allows for characters that are easier to define as they do not need to fit in predefined skills. This also requires less work up front from the game, but it does require the GM to do a lot of reactive and on the spot thinking.

There are probably other approaches, but I feel that these two are the major ones. Also, attributes will play a very strong role [in any tabletop RPG], as I imagine that dis/advantages will directly affect them (and/or skills if you choose to have skills predefined).

Feirgon
2013-02-08, 04:51 PM
Are you still working out some ideas? Because, I am really interested in helping play test if you are (the concept has piqued my interests to say the least).

Let me know.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-02-08, 05:56 PM
Are you still working out some ideas? Because, I am really interested in helping play test if you are (the concept has piqued my interests to say the least).

Let me know.

I'll probably whip up a document with a very rough draft of the rules, and run a couple of games over Google+ hangout.

This is my profile: https://plus.google.com/115052207789261024447/posts

I will broadcast when the first playtest is ready.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-02-10, 02:13 PM
I made a google doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fZGd5DiyEgSlfpge99NfS3LlvcPTUVS-GQVqE0G8nIs/edit#), which currently contains a half-completed mockup character.

Also, I have something of a skeleton for the combat system.

Combat is divided into rounds. Each represents roughly ten seconds. In a round, everyone can take a turn.

On a character's turn, the character can move, and take an action.

Moving just means they can move a number of squares (each representing five feet) equal to their speed. Difficult terrain costs additional movement.

An action is anything influential. It can be making an attack, casting a spell, interacting with the enviroment, or whatever the player and the game master can agree on.

An attack roll is 3d6, plus the attack bonus, minus the target's defense statistic (ususally armour). A 9 or below is a miss. A 13 or above is a hit. On a 10-12, the attacker can choose to either deal half damage (damage is fixed), or deal full damage, but gain a new disadvantage chosen by the Game Master.

Because of the delicate bell curve created by 3d6, attack bonuses and penalties seldom exceed 3. Most attack and defense buffs and debuffs instead influence damage.