PDA

View Full Version : If you were to play a campaign which never passed level 1 what would you be?

danzibr
2013-02-04, 08:14 AM
Assuming you can make whatever you want.

For kicks I think I'd go human Bear Totem Barb, 18 Con, that racial feat which gives you 6 hp, Toughness, 2 flaws to get 2 more Toughness, Slow trait (discussed in a thread a few months back).

So 12+4+6+3+3+3+1=32 hp while not raging, 34 while raging. He might even be able to deal a little damage. Roleplay him as some fat lazy dude.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-04, 08:24 AM
Human Warblade.

danzibr
2013-02-04, 08:36 AM
Human Warblade.
I'm in a campaign which just started at level 1 and am a human Warblade! Whaddya know.

Fable Wright
2013-02-04, 08:40 AM
Human Duskblade. Thing is a Lightning Warrior at level 1; grab the Deceptive Illumination feat at level 1, Versatile Spellcaster, and then flaws for something else (probably including the racial feat for +6 HP, since that seems good at level 1) and you're set. You have some decent HP, Blade of Blood, Color Spray, and Silent Image to cover your casting, with 6 first level spell slots and 6 slots for Silent Image alone. Mechanically, it's one of the strongest options, and it can be fun to roleplay.

Amnestic
2013-02-04, 08:46 AM
Dragonborn Warforged Dragonfire Adept with Entangling Exhalation as my first level feat.

Wouldn't be doing much damage, but with Entangle on demand at 1st level, I've got Battlefield control sorted pretty well. Plus d8+ConMod+1 health and Living Construct stuff means I'm fairly tanky. Not as tanky as could be, but not bad.

Story
2013-02-04, 10:03 AM
If you're going Warforged, be sure to add Troll Blooded in there.

Gigas Breaker
2013-02-04, 10:06 AM
Crusader with stone power.

123456789blaaa
2013-02-04, 10:10 AM
That build that makes you really fat and then teleports you above people to crush them. I think it was called the fat jumper and there are a few versions of it floating around.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-04, 10:13 AM
Azurin (NG/LN) Incarnate with Expanded Soulmeld Capacity and Dragontouched.

Do anything? Why, yes I can.

Darius Kane
2013-02-04, 10:16 AM
Bored. mfhfnjjfjf

danzibr
2013-02-04, 11:25 AM
Human Duskblade. Thing is a Lightning Warrior at level 1 [...]
The only issue I see is the lack of a familiar.

Bored. mfhfnjjfjf
When I saw Darius Kane was the last person to respond I thought myself, "Ahh that Darius Kane." Your post was exactly the sort of thing I expected.

3drinks
2013-02-04, 11:27 AM
Bored. mfhfnjjfjf

#BA-ZINGA!

Amphetryon
2013-02-04, 11:29 AM
Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Whirling Frenzy Wolf Totem Wolf Spirit Totem Barbarian.

CTrees
2013-02-04, 11:36 AM
I normally play Pathfinder, so... Oracle of Heavens with Awesome Display and Color Spray. Charisma as high as I can get it. Unlikely to ever encounter anything that's not eating 2d4rds of unconcious on a failed save. I'd carry around a scythe for massive CDG's. I'd call myself Levar, the Reaping Rainbow.

Amphetryon
2013-02-04, 11:37 AM
I normally play Pathfinder, so... Oracle of Heavens with Awesome Display and Color Spray. Charisma as high as I can get it. Unlikely to ever encounter anything that's not eating 2d4rds of unconcious on a failed save. I'd carry around a scythe for massive CDG's. I'd call myself Levar, the Reaping Rainbow.

But we don't have to take your word for it? :smallamused:

Sgt. Cookie
2013-02-04, 01:09 PM
I'd be a Human Warlock (Dex=Con>Cha>Wis>Int>Str) with two flaws (Feeble and Noncombatant), taking Baleful utterance as my Invocation. Feats would be Spell Hand, Necropolis Born, Point Blank Shot and Improved Initiative.

Assuming 32 point buy, I'd arrange my stats as:

Str: 8
Dex: 16
Con: 16
Int:10
Wis: 12
Cha: 14

That "build" would give me:

Hp: 6
AC: 13, Touch: 13, Flat Footed: 10.
Initiative: +7

1d6+1 Eldritch Blast, with a +4 to hit. Must be within 30ft.

Baleful Utterance (Shatter at-will), Fort Save DC 14

All 1/day: Ghost sound (Will save DC 12), Cause Fear (Will Partial DC 13), Touch of Fatigue (Fort save DC 12), Mage Hand, Open/Close (Will (Object) DC 12) and Tenser's floating disk.

Has a nice damage output at medium range, will be going first most of the time, thus meaning he has his full AC most battles and has a few emergency buttons at the ready. However, one semi-solid hit will drop him like a brick.

prufock
2013-02-04, 01:17 PM
Marshal 1, pump my cha as high as possible and take Motivate Charisma as my minor aura. Feats: Bind Vestige, Practiced Binder, Negotiator, Persuasive. Honest and Polite traits. Assuming 18 cha, 12+ int, and average wis:

Diplomacy +21 = 4 ranks +4 cha +4 motivate charisma +3 skill focus +2 masterwork item (war medals?) +2 Negotiator +1 Honest +1 Polite
Bluff +15 = 4 ranks +4 cha +4 mc +2 Persuasive -1 Honest +2 masterwork item
Intimidate +14 = 4 ranks +4 cha +4 mc +2 Persuasive -2 Polite +2 masterwork item
Perform +14 = 4 ranks +4 cha +4 mc +2 mw item (if I can afford it)
Sense Motive +5 = 4 ranks +2 Persuasive -1 Honest

If I have a better-than-average Intelligence, I'd buy some extra languages known and ranks in Sense Motive, Handle Animal, and whatever Knowledges float my boat.

Bind Naberius, obviously.

I can take 10 on a Diplomacy check as a standard action and make a hostile creature indifferent, an unfriendly creature friendly, and an indifferent or friendly creature helpful.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-04, 02:27 PM
Looking for a new campaign.

HalfGrammarGeek
2013-02-04, 02:41 PM
Commoner.

The game's obviously a joke already, so why not take it to full comedy?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-04, 02:45 PM
Looking for a new campaign.

This^

I hate low-levels and even more 1st level, frankly the only reason I would start playing at that level would be if I knew it would be a One-shot or that we would level-up quickly.

Frankly Not being able to see you improving and having exactly the same options sounds utterly boring.

Jon_Dahl
2013-02-04, 04:02 PM
Human Fighter TN

Psyren
2013-02-04, 05:31 PM
Bored.

^

I guess Azurin Incarnate with ESC. Acid Spittle can solve most of my problems combat-wise, and I'd be a fairly competent skillmonkey too (if I knew what we'd be up against ahead of time, or had a night to sleep on the problem.)

Zelkon
2013-02-04, 05:37 PM
And no one's answered Pun Pun yet?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2013-02-04, 05:50 PM
Since the campaign isn't to be taken seriously, here is what I would play (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10197586&postcount=9).

Ryulin18
2013-02-04, 06:01 PM
Human precocious apprentice with the reserve spell that does 1d6/spell level fire damage.

It would be nice to have the boom stick constantly available.

Eldariel
2013-02-04, 06:01 PM
Gray Elf Wizard.

Invader
2013-02-04, 06:10 PM
Human Druid
Greenbound summoning, Augment Summoning, Spell Focus (conjuration), Imbued summoning.

Certified
2013-02-04, 06:31 PM
CN Bard, so that I could write a balled for my felled companions after I flee.

Archmage1
2013-02-04, 06:36 PM
Maximal cheese: Dragon-wrought kobold with epic toughness... 2x.
Massive hp. What more do you want.

If you actually wanted to have fun...
I would probably go with a grey elf beguiler, int>cha=con?dex
Something about illusions+charm person...

Dr.Epic
2013-02-04, 06:39 PM
I got a build for a +23 bluff at level one. That means I can never roll lower than 24 which for some characters at level 1, is impossible to even roll a 24 sense motive.

Eugenides
2013-02-04, 07:10 PM
I got a build for a +23 bluff at level one. That means I can never roll lower than 24 which for some characters at level 1, is impossible to even roll a 24 sense motive.

I think this one takes the cake, ladies and gentlemen. This would be, hands-down, the most fun I think you could have.

GreenSerpent
2013-02-04, 07:15 PM
Commoner. An optimised commoner.

"Say hello... to my MEGARAPTOR friend!"

TuggyNE
2013-02-04, 07:28 PM
Fighting-Man, 3d6 in order.

... What?

HunterOfJello
2013-02-04, 07:39 PM
Artificer because Artificer

danzibr
2013-02-04, 07:53 PM
Most of the responses are positive and interesting, but... man, what's with the Debbie downers? What's wrong with playing a session or two at level one?

White_Drake
2013-02-04, 08:34 PM
Human Druid
Greenbound summoning, Augment Summoning, Spell Focus (conjuration), Imbued summoning.

I don't know why, but I read that as "inbred summoning".

Eugenides
2013-02-04, 08:37 PM
Most of the responses are positive and interesting, but... man, what's with the Debbie downers? What's wrong with playing a session or two at level one?

I dunno. I personally find low levels fun.

akahdrin
2013-02-04, 08:50 PM
I'd probably pick something fun to play as combat is easy regardless of class at level one. Maybe beguiler, scout, rogue, or a bard.

Amphetryon
2013-02-04, 09:20 PM

I suspect most folks don't equate "play a campaign" with "a session or two," hence the responses that indicate eventual boredom with the Character.

Doorhandle
2013-02-04, 09:30 PM
I suspect most folks don't equate "play a campaign" with "a session or two," hence the responses that indicate eventual boredom with the Character.

Also, having no health. No health at all.

And, 50% of the time, only having 1, maybe 2 spells/day.

toapat
2013-02-04, 09:30 PM
Grey Elf Eidetic Coligate Elf Generalist Wizard//Warblade

probably would have a mix of Abjurations and Stone dragon, be the tankiest stoner elf to ever grace the world.

Talionis
2013-02-04, 10:00 PM
Human Duskblade. Thing is a Lightning Warrior at level 1; grab the Deceptive Illumination feat at level 1, Versatile Spellcaster, and then flaws for something else (probably including the racial feat for +6 HP, since that seems good at level 1) and you're set. You have some decent HP, Blade of Blood, Color Spray, and Silent Image to cover your casting, with 6 first level spell slots and 6 slots for Silent Image alone. Mechanically, it's one of the strongest options, and it can be fun to roleplay.

I think I remember two feats that help you use your spell like abilities to hypnotize and grant illusions. The DC's are so bad they are only good for a few levels, but since everyone would be low level they'd be really good...

Fable Wright
2013-02-04, 10:15 PM
I think I remember two feats that help you use your spell like abilities to hypnotize and grant illusions. The DC's are so bad they are only good for a few levels, but since everyone would be low level they'd be really good...

Deceptive Illumination grants Silent Image, and the other one grants Hypnotic Pattern (which is rather outclassed by Color Spray, which doesn't take a feat slot known).

jedipilot24
2013-02-04, 10:59 PM
Dragonborn (Draconic Lesser Aasimar) Sorcerer; Heart Aspect, Dragon Wings feat. If flaws allowed, Precocious Apprentice (Swift Fly) and Versatile Spellcaster.
It's a humanoid dragon: he flies, he casts spells, he breathes fire.

Bonzai
2013-02-04, 11:21 PM
Something with a massive lvl adjustment. :)

But I second the azurian incarnate with exp soul meld capacity and some Incarnum feat (more with flaws). Dissolving spittle and mantle of flame. 3d6 ranged touch acid damage with a 2d6 fire damage shield. Or perhaps a Necrocarnum zombie..

HalfGrammarGeek
2013-02-04, 11:21 PM
Bingo.

And if it's just one or two sessions, I'd honestly rather play WoW. Because at least then I'm grinding toward something. I'm sick to death of level 1, from both sides of the screen.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-04, 11:37 PM

This, as I said a session or two at low levels is ok; but as the thread says a complete campaign (which I equate to 20-ish sessions at the very least) which never passed level 1? Thanks but no thanks.

Psyren
2013-02-05, 12:03 AM
Something with a massive lvl adjustment. :)

But I second the azurian incarnate with exp soul meld capacity and some Incarnum feat (more with flaws). Dissolving spittle and mantle of flame. 3d6 ranged touch acid damage with a 2d6 fire damage shield. Or perhaps a Necrocarnum zombie..

Flaws can get you Psionic Shot as well, letting you start each fight with 5d6, then 3d6 on subsequent rounds, letting you melt ogres with two shots.

Azurin Incarnate 1 - ESC, Point Blank Shot (bonus), Hidden Talent (Frail), Psionic Shot (Noncombatant). Lucky Dice is another good secondary combat meld, giving a nice bonus (or set of bonuses) to a low level character.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-05, 12:25 AM

The fact that the thread prompt is a campaign that never passes 1. So, a lot more than a few sessions at 1. Characters that mechanically never, ever change. And can still be killed in one hit by human mook #235 with a greatsword.

Ellrin
2013-02-05, 12:30 AM
CN Beguiler. Spontaneous casting from a great spell list, a substantial number of spells/day for level one, and any situation I can't diplomacy, bluff, magically manipulate, or some combination of the three my way out of, I can expeditious retreat the **** away from, screw the rest of the party.

Certified
2013-02-05, 12:37 AM
The implication of never passing level 1 is not appealing. However, as a player and GM I think those early levels are important to establish the character and concept. There's nothing wrong with playing at level 1 if there is some eventual progression.

Our current campaign started at level 1. The PCs are now 5th level and have had a host of experiences around a single blighted forest. They are now reaching the point where it is no longer time to run but turn the tides and there should be a real sense of accomplishment when they do.