PDA

View Full Version : permanent size increase?

Swaoeaeieu
2013-02-04, 03:57 PM
So i am playing a warforged fighter, aiming at juggernaut. When i found the knockback feat, how awesome would it be to have that? i thought. but alas, i'm not large size.

Is there a way to permantly increase my size to large so i can get knockback? or is this just a weird way to get that effect and are there other ways of achieving it?

Would the polymorph any object spell work? the way i understand the rules, changing only size would be permanent. Or does anti magic field still mess with it?

New player needs help guys, be gentle :P

Deaxsa
2013-02-04, 04:03 PM
i think you can get an 'enlarge person' permananced on yourself, but then you can't be enlarged ever again, and should you enter an anti-magic field or get that dispelled, (depending on your DM) you might lose the feat too.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm : right at the very bottom above the components,
Enlarge person can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Deadline
2013-02-04, 04:13 PM
i think you can get an 'enlarge person' permananced on yourself, but then you can't be enlarged ever again, and should you enter an anti-magic field or get that dispelled, (depending on your DM) you might lose the feat too.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm : right at the very bottom above the components,

Unfortunately, Enlarge Person doesn't work on creatures with the Construct type, so it won't work on Warforged.

Things off the top of my head that would work:

The Psionic Power Expansion.
The convoluted route: Take the Stoneblessed PrC (selecting goliath as your patron race) from Races of Stone --> take a level of Barbarian (using the Goliath racial substitution level instead) --> Enjoy your size increase while raging.
There's a ring in Savage Species that gives you a limited size increase for a few minutes per day.

Deaxsa
2013-02-04, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately, Enlarge Person doesn't work on creatures with the Construct type, so it won't work on Warforged.

Things off the top of my head that would work:

The Psionic Power Expansion.
The convoluted route: Take the Stoneblessed PrC (selecting goliath as your patron race) from Races of Stone --> take a level of Barbarian (using the Goliath racial substitution level instead) --> Enjoy your size increase while raging.
There's a ring in Savage Species that gives you a limited size increase for a few minutes per day.

tbh i find the whole "warforged are constructs! they're alive too! no really!" a bit ridiculous. still though, maybe find a wizard and have him research an "Enlarge Construct/Warforged" spell? the problem is he needs to be PERMANENTLY larger to get the feat. also, i'm fuzzy on warforged, but if he has the construct type, does that not imply that he could be reconstructed as a large creature?

Swaoeaeieu
2013-02-04, 04:43 PM
Warforged are living contructs to make it even weirder. My guess is that rebuilding a warforged wouldn't work. taking them apart kinda kills them.

enlarge person doubles height, with an average height of a warforged being 6 feet. i can only imagine the stares my character would get being a 12 foot tall adventurer. Ideally i would just make the requirements to be called Large (8 feet tall) Still a tall fella, but he's a bodyguard, he is supposed to be impressive :D

and those are some nice suggestions Deadline, but none are permanent wich i need to be for the knockback feat.

Deadline
2013-02-04, 04:51 PM
You could suck up the 4 RHD and LA +4 and play a Warforged Charger.

Felandria
2013-02-04, 06:23 PM
Warforged are living contructs to make it even weirder. My guess is that rebuilding a warforged wouldn't work. taking them apart kinda kills them.

enlarge person doubles height, with an average height of a warforged being 6 feet. i can only imagine the stares my character would get being a 12 foot tall adventurer. Ideally i would just make the requirements to be called Large (8 feet tall) Still a tall fella, but he's a bodyguard, he is supposed to be impressive :D

and those are some nice suggestions Deadline, but none are permanent wich i need to be for the knockback feat.

Imagine the looks I get.

Picture my avatar, 12'8", walking into a tavern.

Now make her a vampire.

If all else fails, there's always an RP way to do it.

Look at the Felandria link at the bottom, basically the DM used the fact that my character never knew her father to make her Zeus's daughter, basically making her half Storm Giant.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-02-05, 02:36 AM
I can't change the race, we've already been playing half a year. And can warforged even be half of anything? they aren't born in the usual way and such.

Warforged charger is also another race, so kind of not possible too.

no other magical means of growing?

And would polymorph any object disapear in an anti magic field/dispel?

Erik Vale
2013-02-05, 03:15 AM
Not without involving DM fiat no. But it shouldn't be to hard for the two of you to rationalize a enlarge construct spell and then say that since permanancy works on enlarge person it works on enlarge construct.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-05, 03:47 AM
You could suck up the 4 RHD and LA +4 and play a Warforged Charger.

Even if your race could be changed, would you really want to play something with 4int on average? (their other mental stats suck too, iirc.)

_flint_
2013-02-05, 04:00 AM
I feel like there is a template or rule somewhere for increasing construct size that would apply to you, but i can't find any. 2 castings of polymorph any object would turn you into an other race permanently (or any creature, for that matter), but your DM might not allow it unless the creature is at or below your current ecl. If your DM is any fun, he would probably let you start RPing a way to change your size. He might even turn it into a quest (like trying to gain access to a magical forge that would allow modifications to living constructs or the search for a special warforged component)

Swaoeaeieu
2013-02-05, 04:16 AM
Even if your race could be changed, would you really want to play something with 4int on average? (their other mental stats suck too, iirc.)

short answer: nope

I feel like there is a template or rule somewhere for increasing construct size that would apply to you, but i can't find any. 2 castings of polymorph any object would turn you into an other race permanently (or any creature, for that matter), but your DM might not allow it unless the creature is at or below your current ecl. If your DM is any fun, he would probably let you start RPing a way to change your size. He might even turn it into a quest (like trying to gain access to a magical forge that would allow modifications to living constructs or the search for a special warforged component) ]

excuse me, new player and all, i am not familiar with templates, what does it entail?

RPing it: turning it into a quest could perhaps take a long while, but maybe house canith (DM and me) can come up with something. My character was made just before the end of the war, so he is like 5 years old. increasing size is something he want because he decided he needs to 'grow up'. so making a quest out of it seems a fair point.Might not be fair to the other players if i get a quest only for my benefit thou.

i'll think on it some more

RoyVG
2013-02-05, 05:36 AM
I remember that there was a specific magic item for Warforged that increases their size for a few times per day, as if Enlarge person was cast on them.

Found it: Secrets of Xen'drik has a Warforged Component called the Behemoth Belt. 1/day for 5 minutes you are large as per Enlarge Person. 4000 GP.

Lets see how this holds up to a normal belt of Enlarge Person following the same criteria, 1 Charge/day at Caster level 5, using these tables (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) for the calculation.

Use Activated with 1 Charge per day at Caster Level 5 =>
(2000 (Base) x1(Spell level) x5(Caster Level)) /5 (1 charge)= 2000 GP.
Warforged components are automatically twice as expensive as normal magic items, but come with a few minor added effects, so the total price is 4000 GP, just like this item.

So a Behemoth Belt is the same price as a normal CL5 Enlarge Person belt, if you take into account that it is a Warforged component. Therfore, specifiying (Living Constructs) instead of Humanoids as its target has no effect on the cost.

If we extrapolate this fact to a continuous Behemoth Belt, it would cost:
2000 (Base) X1 (Spell Level) X1 (Caster level*) X2(continuous, 1min/level).
= 8000GP as a normal belt or 16.000GP as a Warforged component

*The Caster level can be decreased to 1 because it is a level 1 spell and it is a continuous item, so caster level does not matter.

Using Magic items to become large to qualify for a feat does come with its drawbacks. Should the item gets stolen, you cannot use the feat anymore. Having it made into a Warforged Component alleviates this problem, because only you can remove it, unless you are knocked out.

I hope this was helpful :smallbiggrin:

Swaoeaeieu
2013-02-05, 07:20 AM
I hope this was helpful :smallbiggrin:

yes it was thanks!

but where does it say a warforged component costs twice as much? i read in the eberron guide that anyone who can make an item or magic item can also make it as a component, no difference in cost.

Darrin
2013-02-05, 08:02 AM
You could use a Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, A&EG) for all-day polymorph, up to 7HD. There's also the Fleshshifter Armor in BoVD, leather armor +1 that lets you alter self at will.

In Lords of Madness, there's an item called Ring of Reduction (20000 GP), which reduces your size by one category whenever you wear it. Ask your DM if you can get one for the same price that increases your size instead.

Person_Man
2013-02-05, 09:12 AM
Increasing Size, Effective Size, and Reach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777)

That link should have every option in 3.5 that I know of.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-02-05, 09:45 AM
going into Warforged Juggernaut I assume you've taken adamantine body? Becoming large sized would multiply the characters weight by 8, if your character is 6' tall its weight at medium size would be around 332lbs according to this article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050627a) enlarged it would make it weigh 2656lbs, that's 1.3 tons, if you got dropped in combat someone would need at least 22 STR to even begin to budge you. If your character died and fell 10' onto someone it would deal 13d6 damage.

Are you sure it's a good idea for your character to be permanently large?

Swaoeaeieu
2013-02-05, 10:18 AM
going into Warforged Juggernaut I assume you've taken adamantine body? Becoming large sized would multiply the characters weight by 8, if your character is 6' tall its weight at medium size would be around 332lbs according to this article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050627a) enlarged it would make it weigh 2656lbs, that's 1.3 tons, if you got dropped in combat someone would need at least 22 STR to even begin to budge you. If your character died and fell 10' onto someone it would deal 13d6 damage.

Are you sure it's a good idea for your character to be permanently large?

That's why i posted the quistion, to hear the playgrounds ideas. :D
for the specifics: i wanted to just make the qualifications for large size te get the knockback feat. minimum for large is 8 feet tall. So the weight would be a bit less i think.
Being large may actually be a little to unweildy.. any other ways of getting knockback or similar ability's. I want to make good use of dungeoncrashers bull rush.

Greenish
2013-02-05, 10:18 AM

Are you sure it's a good idea for your character to be permanently large?I see none of the things you said as reasons not to want to become large. The opposite, actually. :smallamused:

Swaoeaeieu
2013-02-05, 02:21 PM
I see none of the things you said as reasons not to want to become large. The opposite, actually. :smallamused:

I think he means to say that even thou being big heavy and capable of huge amounts of damage, it might just be a bit hard to get around small dungeons or something similar. ans unstable bridges could get even unstabler when your more then a ton in weight.

Or save myself a hassle and just get brutal surge enchant on my weapon?

Oscredwin
2013-02-05, 02:51 PM
I always wondered about the permanent size increases. They make you better in a fight, but they remove your ability to live in human(oid) society. You might help beat the dragon with a permancied enlarge person, but you can't celebrate in the feast hall without a custom chair, fitting through at least some of the doors in the palace will be difficult, and when you get home to your spouse (or "friendly" tavern wench/welp or whatever) relations don't really work (anti-magic bedroom?). Your character would do that to him/herself just to get a +4 on trip attacks and a larger base damage die?

Deadline
2013-02-05, 03:31 PM
I meant to ask earlier, but is your DM requiring you to have a "permanent" large size in order to take Knockback? Depending on DM interpretation, you can't use the feat if you don't meet the prerequisites, but you can still take it if you can fulfill the pre-reqs to take it. So you could potentially take the feat, and only be able to use it when you are Large sized.

Also, to answer the question you asked earlier, pretty much every magical way to increase your size that I know of would be disabled in an anti-magic field.

lunar2
2013-02-05, 03:36 PM
unless your dm has specifically said so, you do not need to be permanently large to take the feat. you just only get the benefit of the feat while you are large. so a limited uses/day item of enlarge should be fine. 3 or 4/day covers a standard adventuring day, assuming with 3/day that you won't need it every single encounter.

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-05, 03:47 PM
Arms and equipment has a collar that sets your size to small without effecting your stats. This can be used to fit back in with civilization. It can also be used to max out your size/strength, and then shrink to a funny size. Had a necromancer use this to make a zombie dragon jet pack (a huge zombie dragon reduced to small holding onto his backpack, carrying him through the sky)

Felandria
2013-02-05, 10:38 PM
I always wondered about the permanent size increases. They make you better in a fight, but they remove your ability to live in human(oid) society. You might help beat the dragon with a permancied enlarge person, but you can't celebrate in the feast hall without a custom chair, fitting through at least some of the doors in the palace will be difficult, and when you get home to your spouse (or "friendly" tavern wench/welp or whatever) relations don't really work (anti-magic bedroom?). Your character would do that to him/herself just to get a +4 on trip attacks and a larger base damage die?

True, but there's just something special about things like that.

The idea that people have to make allowances for you makes a kind of sense if you're an adventurer of a decent level, after all, people say at a certain level you're basically a superhero, why wouldn't you be treated as such?

Plus it's just darned fun to role play.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-02-06, 08:15 AM
Ok thank you everyone. so there are multiple ways of increasing size, but all magical and none anti magic proof. i'll need to check if i need to be permanently large to get the feat or if the dm will allow me to only use it when i'm large.

Role playing it has some pro's and cons but seems interesting alltogether. I'll see what i can get done :smallsmile:

Thanks everyone