PDA

View Full Version : I get to play AD&D again!

thorr-kan
2013-02-04, 04:48 PM
Yes, I'm a little giddy about it. The Friday Night group usually plays in the 2ED Al-Qadim campaign I DM off-and-on or plays with the CoC system, which we use for everything else. They voted for a 1ED one-shot, and I get to PLAY!

I haven't gotten to *play* any type of DnD in 4 years.

So, any suggestions for a LE half-orc cleric/assasin?

ken-do-nim
2013-02-04, 09:54 PM
Yes, I'm a little giddy about it. The Friday Night group usually plays in the 2ED Al-Qadim campaign I DM off-and-on or plays with the CoC system, which we use for everything else. They voted for a 1ED one-shot, and I get to PLAY!

I haven't gotten to *play* any type of DnD in 4 years.

So, any suggestions for a LE half-orc cleric/assasin?

Why yes! I firmly believe that if you read the darkness spell description closely, you'll see that the 1st level clerical version of darkness doesn't block infravision, only the 2nd level magic-user darkness 15'r and 1st level illusionist spells do. So, have your cleric/assassin memorize darkness, and assassinate those humans who can't see with glee!

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-04, 10:14 PM
Aren't Clerics in AD&D restricted to certain weapons...

...and isn't backstab restricted to certain weapons in AD&D?

What weapon are in the overlap of these two sets?

hamlet
2013-02-05, 08:26 AM
Multi-classing rules play havoc with weapons permitted and such. I believe that the cleric/assassin combo is one of those, but I may be mistaken. In which case, I kind of like the idea of an assasin going around with a mace or morning star. They shall call him . . . "The Mad Bludgeoner"!

Lord Torath
2013-02-05, 08:43 AM
Congrats! It's always great to be able to play again!

I generally enforce the weapon restrictions of clerics for any dual/multi-class clerics, and armor restrictions for thieves/assassins. Mage multi/dual class I generally permit to use the weapons/armor of their other class(es).

Deities generally don't care what your other class is; they want you to obey their rules. And thieves and assassins need to be able to be stealthy, and heavy armor kind of gets in the way of that.

thorr-kan
2013-02-05, 01:42 PM
Half-orc specifically says that it only suffers multiclass restrictions on armor. Since assasin gets all armor and weapons...so do I!

(That being said, I'm currently wielding a warhammer and wearing leather armor, since I'm passing as a thief, and I didn't notice that rule at the time.)

hamlet
2013-02-05, 02:20 PM
Keep in mind that just because you are able to wear any armor does not mean that you won't suffer the penalties to thief abilities for wearing that armor. It's just not possible to wear plate mail and be sneaky.

thorr-kan
2013-02-05, 03:41 PM
Keep in mind that just because you are able to wear any armor does not mean that you won't suffer the penalties to thief abilities for wearing that armor. It's just not possible to wear plate mail and be sneaky.

Not with 1ED's predetermined Thief Skill Percentages, true. But I can break out the full plate if I *need* to.

MeeposFire
2013-02-05, 09:58 PM
Aren't Clerics in AD&D restricted to certain weapons...

...and isn't backstab restricted to certain weapons in AD&D?

What weapon are in the overlap of these two sets?

For sure...the club. Won't matter since this is 1e and it had less restrictions on these things when you multiclass than 2e.