PDA

View Full Version : reorith and cabbagetheif's variant smite

reorith
2006-11-07, 03:57 PM
um...

currently smite whatever works by adding additional damage based on characterlevels in a certain class. we felt in the flavor "my god hates you plz die" it should have a little more power.

we came upon the idea of instead of making it additional damage, that we could remap it as a will save or die kind of effect. with the dc being 10 + smiters cha mod + levels in smite granting class.

another thing we kicked around was a will save equal to the damage dealt plus the smiter's cha mod

would this work? is it even worth doing? is it not the thing that will make smitting the coolest ability yet?

S'vreeem
2006-11-07, 04:02 PM
i dunno. smitting has never been my thing, but i like the idea of making it better somehow. i would go with the damage thing, personally. otherwise it is just like any other dc, and isnt its own ability.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-11-07, 07:41 PM
I also like the idea of a more powerful smite, but a deathattack smite seems a bit overpowered, no-matter the DC.

reorith
2006-11-07, 07:43 PM
I also like the idea of a more powerful smite, but a deathattack smite seems a bit overpowered, no-matter the DC.

would stunning, dazing, or paralysis be better?

AmberVael
2006-11-07, 07:53 PM
Hm. I don't think any lesser status effects will really be worthwhile.
Maybe an ability drain/damage thing?

XtheYeti
2006-11-08, 01:33 PM
What about making the attack act like the wepon crit if it hits, and if they crit multiply the X? by 2
IE. John the pally uses smite with a Lsword, hits deals 1d8X2, but if he crits he deals 1d8 X4

S'vreeem
2006-11-08, 01:37 PM
here's a thought

negative levels

thats what undead and evil creatures often do as their version of a 'smite', and perhaps a holy version would be negative levels as well.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-11-08, 04:14 PM
Or maybe something kookie like Awsome Blow?

Like that attack can nock them back 10 feet and prone? Maybe something of that nature with saves attached to falling prone, or something.

Would be a good deal more spicy to slam someone back into the wall with a might holy swing then just a few more damage.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-11-08, 05:03 PM
Hm. I don't think any lesser status effects will really be worthwhile.
Maybe an ability drain/damage thing?
Why not make it like the Holy Word et al spells, with effects based on Hit Dice relative to class level in the smite-granting class?

HD Effect
Equal to class level Deafened
Up to class level -1 Blinded, deafened
Up to class level -5 Paralyzed, blinded, deafened
Up to class level -10 Killed, paralyzed, blinded, deafened

The effects are cumulative and concurrent.
Give it a save based on CHA and Class Level and I think it could work. It does sort of reverse the whole "hit the BBEG with it for massive damage" current paradigm of Smite, though. Just brainstorming.

knightsaline
2006-11-11, 10:05 PM
I've always seen smite as something thor would do if you annoyed him. How about, instead of a smite doing an unnamed type of damage, the smite does elemental damage decided upon at chara creation or when the chara gains the smite feature. eg, a pally of thor would deal 1d6 lightning damage or a pally of hextors brother (i can't spell the name) would deal 1d6 holy damage. if the damage type is the same as the gods favored element or the gods favored weapon, the damge is 1d8. if using the gods favored weapon AND favored element, the damage is 1d10

icke
2006-11-25, 12:43 PM
knightsaline:
Elemental damage is no good: there are resistances against them and the smite should be effective against any creature - especially if Your God Wants It To Die!

How about this: Smiting works like usually plus the victim must make a ?? - save or be knocked back (Class level + Charisma bonus) feet and land prone, taking either falling damage or 1d6 per 5 feet knocked back, whatever is higher.

knightsaline
2006-11-28, 12:37 AM
how about it works like I said before with one change. half of the damage is divine damage. no monster has resistanse to divine damage. need proof? read divine strikes entry. half of that spells damge is divine energy.

oh, and if a god wants something to die, it uses vengeful gaze of god, the most powerful epic spell ever. it does not gamble on the chance that one of its divine soldiers manages to kill it. the only core god i can see doing that is ollidamara, and he has no known pallys